It's About Time

Story Info
Can 'just friends' turn into something more?
11.9k words
4.59
60.2k
85
Share this Story

Font Size

Default Font Size

Font Spacing

Default Font Spacing

Font Face

Default Font Face

Reading Theme

Default Theme (White)
You need to Log In or Sign Up to have your customization saved in your Literotica profile.
PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

Note from the author: Before you dive in, I just wanted to say a few words. Mainly just let you know that this is my first attempt ever at writing this kind of story. So be gentle! The song at the end is "Best in Me" by Sherwood in case you wonder. And I wanted to thank TRCIII for your fabulous editing and input. Comments are very welcome. Happy reading!

~~<3~~

James sat at the kitchen table with his notes sprawled all over, staring at his Calculus 2 homework. He knew he was in trouble. The test was in 2 weeks and he had no idea what he was supposed to be doing.

'Fuck it. I'll just get CJ to explain it to me,' he thought, as he collected his useless notes. The best thing about this school was CJ, or Callie Jo, as the rest of the world knew her. Only her best friend, James, could get away with calling her that.

The two had grown up living next door to each other, and despite the fact that James Connor was a grade ahead of Callie Jo Davison in school they were best friends. James and his older brother, Nick, spent a lot of time at her house while his mother was at work. The boys' father had walked out on them soon after James was born and had kept little contact with his former family. Nick spent most of his time with CJ's three older brother's who were more his age. Both she and James had been what you might call "happy little accidents," so there was a six-year difference between the pair and their older siblings. As the duo grew older, they became very protective of each other.

CJ was often unhappy when James dated a girl she didn't personally approve of and that of course meant the relationship would be short-lived. James always explained to CJ's boyfriends the repercussions of hurting her. Many times, their classmates would make the mistake of thinking the two were dating and then were left only to wonder why they weren't. James and CJ never even gave that a second thought; they were practically siblings and the idea of dating their brother or sister just wasn't appealing.

After graduation, James went off to a college in northeastern Texas that he hoped was far enough away from their hometown of Wichita without leaving him completely isolated from his family. CJ also ended up at the same university after her graduation. After James' freshman year, he decided he wanted to get an apartment instead of a dorm room and naturally his first choice for roommates was CJ. She gladly agreed because most of the girls' dormitories had community bathrooms and didn't have very many singles, and CJ liked her space.

James decided that now was as good a time as ever to take a study break and make some dinner. CJ would be home from her last class soon, so he decided to make her favorite: his signature-seasoned chicken and spaghetti. The instant she walked through the front door, CJ could smell all the spices and herbs James was using to make his homemade meal. She smiled and thought that if he wasn't so damn hell-bent on becoming an architectural engineer, he could make a nice living as a professional chef. When dinner was ready, the pair sat on the couch in the living and watched Sports Center, informing the other about their day during the commercial breaks. Growing up with basically 5 brothers gave CJ a very hearty appreciation for the world of sports, so this was nothing out of the norm.

"Hey, CJ, can you help me with my Calc 2?" James asked, as they finished cleaning the dishes.

"Yeah, sure. But only if you help me with my Comp 1 paper. I may be a borderline math genius but English and writing just ain't my thing."

"Obviously. Whatever happened to your one-woman mission of proving to the world that Kansans don't talk like hicks? You are clearly failing, kid."

"That was never a mission; it was more of an ill-conceived idea. Besides, it's not like you care how I talk because you talk exactly like I do. So shove it, will ya?"

James just shook his head as he got out his homework and explained his predicament, which CJ was quick to fix; in turn, James edited CJ's paper and made suggestions to enhance it. By the time 11 P.M. rolled around, both were happy with what they had accomplished and decided to watch a little television before heading to bed. Neither had any classes the next day, so they weren't in any hurry. After debating whether to put in a movie or not, James announced he should actually be heading to bed.

"Why? It's barely midnight. What do you have to do tomorrow?"

"Well, funny you should ask. I'm going to go race in a weekend competition. Did you want to come along? It's been a really long time since you've watched my motocross races live. Aren't you tired of just watching videos?"

"I was going to go home for the weekend but watching you race sounds much better than babysitting the army of brats…I mean, uh, my nieces and nephews. Where's the race at?"

"About an hour south of Dallas, so we should leave around 8 in the morning to get there by noon. Chad is going to ride down with us, too."

"Sounds like a plan. We'd better head for bed then. See you in the morning!"

James got off the couch and headed towards his room with CJ following him down the hall to hers. He didn't expect to sleep very well; he never slept well before a big race and this one was going to be very big. A lot of new sponsors were going to be there and James needed new ones since the contracts with his others expired. He also finally had a chance to try to get his pro card. One stupid mistake two years ago kept him from getting his card and also kept him from racing for a few months since he severely broke his leg. Right before he fell asleep, he made a promise to himself that he would win that race and make CJ drive down there since he needed all the rest he could get.

~~<3~~

Chad, James's one-man pit crew and closest guy friend, arrived at the house just before 7 to start packing the trailer. James had most of it ready the night before so it was a quick finish and the guys went into the house to make breakfast as they waited for CJ to finish getting ready. She finally emerged from her room at about a quarter 'til 8 and the boys were awestruck. She had finally figured out how to manage her unruly red curls and had them falling just below her shoulders and was wearing a tight—but not overly tight—Fox Racing shirt James had given her for Christmas one year, paired with some of the shortest jean shorts the guys had ever seen her wear.

Callie laughed, "What? You guys haven't seen a girl before? Shut your traps, we got a long drive ahead of us so let's get rolling." With that she did a little spin, showing off the perfectly curved figure on her 5 foot 7 inch frame. "Jeez!"

"It's not that we haven't seen a girl, Cal. We just haven't seen you! Wait, that's not what I meant. You just look different today. No worries, though, you look great!" Chad managed to say, as Callie sat down to eat some toast and bacon with them at the table.

"Thanks, Chad. Well, I shouldn't look different, so you just must be seeing things. So are we ready to go?"

"Yep. We're all loaded so let's hit the road. Want me to put your bag in the truck so you can finish?"

"Yeah, thanks. It's on my bed. Finish what? I'm done with my breakfast."

"Apparently you haven't looked in the mirror. You look absolutely hideous. Try to do something about that would you? We're trying to make a good impression on everybody. OW!" James finished, when CJ punched him in the arm.

"I do not look absolutely hideous! And for saying that you get your shotgun privileges revoked! And you have to listen to whatever Chad and I decide on for music. What do you think, Chad, feeling a little Backstreet Boys and Spice Girls?"

"Agreeing with you until the music bit. Are you trying to kill us?"

"I'm just kidding. But we will listen to my playlist, so that means a ban on all things rap and hip hop!" Callie yelled, as she headed out the door and down the hall.

The drive to the track took a lot less time than expected, mainly because CJ is one of those people who are constantly speeding. Once at the track, James left to go register as CJ and Chad unloaded what they would need from the trailer.

While waiting in line, all James could think about was how hot CJ looked today and then spent most of the time trying to convince himself that he shouldn't think of her like that. She's practically his little sister and his best friend, and despite what all his ex-girlfriends told him, she didn't have any feelings other than brotherly love for him. He knew it was a lost cause; he loved CJ but he knew she didn't love him like that.

~~<3~~

Back at the trailer, Chad and CJ were just lounging in the lawn chairs since they had everything ready for the first race. Chad finally decided to get to the bottom of things.

"Seriously, Cal, what's with you today? You look absolutely smokin' hot and you've barely taken your eyes off James. Are you finally making your move? Because if you are, all I got to say is, 'IT'S ABOUT FRICKIN' TIME!'"

CJ sighed and stared at her feet. She didn't want to admit it out loud but she decided a few weeks ago that she'd spent too much of her time silently pining over James and she was going to finally put herself out there. She began to spend a lot of her free time at the gym trying to drop those last few pounds of baby fat and also trying to tone everything once those were gone. The looks on James and Chad's faces were reassurance that all her hard work was worth it. When she was finally able to look Chad in the eyes again, he just gave her a smile and hug and repeated that it was about frickin' time. CJ nodded and was about to ask Chad if he thought this was going to work when James came back from the registration tent.

"Well, good news! I'm in the first heat and a quick glance at the other racers tells me I'll make it to the finals. And even bigger news—one of the showcase competitors wasn't able to make it, so the event coordinator asked if I'd like to participate in the Best Trick Contest!" James enthusiastically declared, as he sat down in his lawn chair.

"James, that's great! I'm assuming you agreed to do that since you have such a grin on your face. So what trick are you going to do?" CJ responded.

"I'm not going to tell you. It's just going to have to be a surprise!" James teased, as he turned to Chad and started talking mechanics.

Before they knew it, it was time for the first race to start. James was walking his bike to the starting gate, idly chatting with CJ about the race, when Adam Walker, James' unofficial worst enemy, came up beside them with his bike and started to get himself situated in the starting gate.

"What are you doing here, Walker? You weren't on the list for this heat," James managed to say through his clenched jaw.

"One of the other racers didn't show, so they moved me up. Why? Are you scared, Connor? Is that why you have your little girlfriend here, to hold your hand?" Adam snapped back, as CJ angrily stared at him.

"One, CJ isn't my girlfriend. Two, she isn't here to 'hold my hand.' Three, I will never be scared of you, Walker. You may have been cleared of all charges against you in the accident that broke my leg but I know you did it and I'm going to get my revenge, later. But not now; I just want to smoke you in this heat. So stop this stupid trash talk and let's race!" James declared, as he sat on his bike and readied himself for the start. CJ had run off when he unemotionally pointed out she wasn't his girlfriend but James didn't notice.

~~<3~~

The 12-lap race finished without any serious accidents. James fought Adam for the lead the whole time but had managed to keep it long enough to cross the finish line. James and Chad happily returned to the trailer; neither even thought to wonder where CJ had run off to. As Chad steered the bike back into the makeshift mechanic shop, he saw CJ curled up in the back corner with what looked like tear stains down her face.

"Aw, jeez, Cal, what's up? James won! He beat Walker without getting hurt! Why the tears?" Chad asked, as he walked to the back and tried his best to comfort her.

"Nothing's wrong. I know the race went well," CJ managed, between her sniffs and sobs. Chad just stared at her. CJ knew he wasn't one to just leave a girl to cry so she finally admitted why she was crying.

"It was just how he said, 'CJ isn't my girlfriend.' It felt like he meant to add on, 'Nor will she ever be' or something like that. I don't know, it's probably just some trivial thing I'm blowing totally out of proportion but I just don't think I'm ready to tell him, Chad! What if he really thinks things between us can never go past the friends stage? What if divulging my true feelings ruins the friendship we have? I can't handle losing James. He has and always will be my best friend," Callie explained, as Chad just nodded, waiting for her to finish her little worry speech.

"Are you finished? Good. Let me just start out by saying that you are flat out crazy if you think finally telling James the truth is enough to sever the years of friendship you two have had. Your relationship with him is even better than most marriages, girl. You just need to trust that being honest with him is the right thing for you to do. Besides, if he does decide that you two can't be friends anymore, he isn't the James either of us thought he was and therefore you are better off without him. Got it? Good, now go congratulate him before he starts to get worried that you fell off the face of the planet!"

Chad knew he didn't have the right tell her that James felt the same way about her, but he almost let it slip.

CJ got up, cleaned herself off, and glanced in the side mirror of the truck making sure she didn't look like a complete mess as she walked to the other side of their site where James sat waiting to go watch the next heat.

"CJ, where've you been? I didn't see you after the race. Can you believe the tricks Walker tried to pull? I'm so glad I won! Wait, what's wrong? Why have you been crying?" James wondered, as he walked over to her, giving her a big hug.

"Nothing. I'm fine. Honest. Just really happy you won your first race back on the circuit. So when's your next race?" CJ inquired, putting on her best smile and brave face.

"You're lying to me," James accused.

"I am not! It's just girl stuff. You wouldn't understand," Callie told him, hoping he'd believe it. After all, it was half true.

"I still don't believe you. But I'll let it slide. I know you'll fill me in eventually. Now to answer your question, the final isn't until tomorrow. Did you want me to take you back to the hotel? I was going to stick around, maybe catch the next race. I was going to see if they'd let me practice my trick, too," he informed her, as they both sat down in their chairs.

"No thanks, I think I'll stick around for a bit more. They probably will let you practice your trick. Want to go ask them? I see the event coordinator right over there," CJ pointed out.

James walked over to the event coordinator, who seemed thoroughly thrilled to speak to James. CJ just watched him as they discussed what she assumed to be his past career, future career, and maybe a bit of his personal life. She thought about how much she isn't ready to confess her inmost secret to him and about how much she knew if she didn't do this now she probably never would.

James brought CJ out of her deep thought when he asked if she was ready to go watch his trick. She followed James and his bike through the insane maze of trucks and trailers, food stands, sponsors' tables, and clothing tables to the other side of the park where all the jumps were set up for the Best Trick Contest. There were several other riders practicing as well; among them was Adam Walker.

James and CJ kept their distance from Adam as much as they could and he tried to do the same. All three knew the boys had to concentrate hard on their trick so there was no free time for bickering.

"Just stand here by the fence and I'll get warmed up. Then when I'm ready I'll show the trick I want to do," James instructed her, as he started his bike. He began by just leisurely riding around the jumps, trying to get a good feel for the course, sometimes even doing a real basic jump over a few of the obstacles. When he was ready he yelled at CJ to watch him now as he set up in front of the largest of all the ramps. As he let off the brake and opened the throttle, Walker unknowingly drove his bike right in front of James. Neither was able to swerve, slow down, or get out of the way in time so they collided. CJ screamed as she watched the wreck. She knew it was going to be bad. Her thoughts got worse as she ran over towards the crumpled pile of metal lying amongst the two riders.

"Oh my God! James, are you okay? James! Can you hear me! Oh my God, somebody call for an ambulance! James, please wake up!" Callie screamed, as she began crying. James' body was fairly limp and his right leg jutted out at an odd angle, suggesting a break or dislocation. Walker was conscious and able to move around on his own and told everyone he was fine—an idiot, but fine.

~~<3~~

When the EMS van finally got to the course, James had regained consciousness only long enough to open his eyes to see CJ leaning over him and bawling her eyes out. Before he passed out again he managed to mutter, "CJ, I love you," which stunned her, to say the least. She sat there long after the EMTs loaded him into the van, contemplating what just happened. He said he loved her. He didn't say it like he usually did, there was something else, some other feeling that hadn't been there before. He didn't even say he thought he loved her, he said it, plain, simple, and with complete confidence.

When the EMTs finally got her attention back to what was going on around her, they told her since she wasn't immediate family, she couldn't ride with him in the van. They did tell her the hospital he was going to and assured her that he would be all right.

All the other riders that had been practicing at the course stood dumbfounded around the wreckage. Adam Walker obviously was the most upset out of all of them. He finally walked up to CJ.

"Hey Callie Jo, I'm so sorry I ran into James. Well, actually I'm sorry for both accidents. I was a total ass during that race and I deserve whatever punishment is coming my way because of that. I just want to let you know, I'd never wish for this to happen. I was really looking forward to racing him again. My races against him were always my favorites. Look, if you need any help getting his bike back or with anything else, I'll be glad to help you. Hell, I think we all would be glad to help you after what we just saw," Adam said, with all the sincerity in his heart. CJ managed a small, polite smile and accepted his apology.

"Well, if you can help me get his bike back to the truck, I think Chad and I will go on over to the hospital," she said quietly.

"Yeah, no problem. Are you going to be all right? You don't look too good," Adam told her, right before CJ fainted. He was barely able to catch her as she fell.

By that time, Chad was at the jump course with the trailer all loaded up to go. Adam lifted CJ up off the ground and carried her to the truck and gently as he could. As he and Chad got her situated in the back seat of the cab, Adam explained what happened since someone only told Chad that James got hurt and was going to the hospital.

"Good lord! They said he would be fine though, right? I don't think any of us could take it if he wasn't going to be. Especially her," Chad stated, as he motioned back to CJ.

"She likes him, doesn't she? That explains why she looked the way she did when he told her that he loved her."