It's About Time

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

"He said that?! No wonder she fainted! She's wanted to hear those words from him since high school. The prick really knows how to pick the opportune moment, huh?" Chad finished, as they loaded the heap of metal that was James' bike into the trailer and thanked the guys for their help. Before he pulled away he assured them they would be notified of his status if anything changed.

The ride to the hospital wasn't long at all, 10 minutes maximum, so Chad wasn't surprised that CJ started to wake up when he pulled into the parking lot.

"What happened? Did I faint? Oh God, that's so embarrassing!" CJ started, as she sat up a little too fast and had to brace herself on the front seats.

"Whoa, slow down, Cal. I've already got one friend in a hospital bed, I don't think I need another. Yeah, you did faint and I'd be surprised if you didn't after hearing what he told you. Don't look so freaked out, Adam Walker told me everything. Real nice guy when he's off the track. Well, now that we're here, do you want to sit in the truck all night or go in and see how James is doing?"

"Let's go in. Slowly though, my head is spinning."

~~<3~~

James was lucky his knee wasn't dislocated, but he did hyperextend his ACL. If he had to have another surgery on his leg, his racing career would be finished. He had also managed to get just a mild concussion and some minor cuts and bruises. CJ and Chad nervously sat in the waiting area, making calls to his mom and brother, CJ's family, and some of the racers at the park when updates were available.

When the nurses finally let James have visitors, CJ told Chad to go first since she wasn't quite ready to see him yet. Chad shot her a worried look as he entered James's room. As CJ sat, she made a few more phone calls to forward what the doctor and nurses had told her, then sat staring at the ugly painting hanging on the wall opposite her. Chad startled her when he came back to the waiting area to tell her she could go in now if she wanted to.

CJ took a deep breath as she entered the room. James was lying on the bed and looked like he was sleeping comfortably despite all the various wires and tubes that were hooked up to him. She sat in the chair right by the bed and grabbed hold of his hand and began to gently stroke the back of his hand with her thumb. James' eyes fluttered open as she did this and a smile crept onto his face.

"Hey there," he whispered, his voice a little hoarse.

"'Hey right back at you. You gave me quite a scare, asshole," Callie tried to joke, as she fought back the tears forming in her eyes.

"Sorry. I didn't mean to scare you. Just impress you. I meant what I said out there. Well, I think I said it out loud. If not, I'll say it again right here. I love you, CJ. Sucks that it took a nasty fall for me to finally tell you but I'm glad…" James voice trailed off, as he tried to read her face. Usually this was an easy task for him but between the medication and the pain, he couldn't quite see what she was feeling.

"James, I don't know what to say," CJ finally managed to utter. "You're my best friend and you just scared the shit out of me when you crashed." She paused when she saw the hurt in his eyes. "Oh, James, I'm sorry. I didn't mean for it to come out like that. I'm glad you said you loved me. It makes is so much easier for me to tell you that I love you too. I have since high school; I just haven't had the courage to tell you. And when you told me you loved me, I panicked because I thought that was going to be one of those great last lines sorts of thing. I'm just so glad you are all right," and with that, the tears she'd been holding in the whole time they were at the hospital began rolling down her face.

"Oh, baby, don't cry! Everything is going to be all right. The doctors fixed me up real good; they said I could leave the day after tomorrow. I'll have to take it slow but everything is going to be fine, okay? Now, come here and give me a hug," James stated, as he held out his arms, which CJ gladly and gently fell into.

After the hug, James moved himself over so there was enough room for CJ on the bed, then softly patted the spot next to him. She just gave a sigh and a little smile as she lay down beside him, looking into his bright blue eyes and gently pushing a few stray locks of his dark hair out of his eyes.

"I almost want to stay like this forever, James," Callie whispered.

"Just almost forever? Well, I want to stay like this forever. No almost," James replied.

"It's an almost forever because I want to stay like this forever in your bed, not a hospital's," CJ justified.

"Oh, I see. Do you know that right now, your eyes are so hazel? They almost match your beautiful hair," James mentioned as he began to twirl one of her curls around his finger.

"I get that a lot. Sometimes I get so tired of it but I don't think I'll ever get tired of hearing you say it. Speaking of tired, you should probably get some rest," CJ asserted.

"Just, stay here for a bit longer. At least until I fall asleep. I hate hospitals," James admitted. CJ agreed to stay until then. When he did finally fall asleep, she slowly got off the bed and returned to the waiting area to talk to Chad.

He was very happy when he heard that both had confessed their feelings. After a while, Chad said he was going to go over to the hotel across the street and get a room so he could sleep. CJ said that she'd just stay there at the hospital. She returned to James' room and sat by the bed all night.

The night flew by rapidly for everyone. The doctors let James leave that afternoon, but made him promise to take it easy and to go visit his local doctor as soon as he could. Before starting the drive back home, Chad and CJ decided to swing by the track and let the racers say goodbye to James; even Adam Walker came by and apologized for all the rotten things he did to James.

~~<3~~

The next few days were a little rough since James had to get used to not being able to do many things with a brace on his leg. CJ was glad to be taking care of him; however she did miss eating his cooking every night. The couple didn't have a chance to talk about their relationship until they were eating dinner one night almost three weeks after the accident.

"CJ, what are you doing tomorrow?" James asked, as he hobbled around the dining room table to put their dishes in the sink.

"I picked up an extra shift down at the coffee shop. But other than that, not a thing. Why? Did you have anything in mind?"

"I was just thinking that I want to take you out on a date. A real date, to just kind of make us official. Is that all right with you?" James inquired, as the two made their way to the couch.

"Fine by me. As long as you tell me where we're going. Need I remind you your last 'surprise' didn't end too well?" CJ joked, as she poked him in the ribs.

"Ha ha ha, you're so funny! I'm still not going to tell you though. Just leave it all to me, babe. Okay?" James smiled and gave her a wink, as they settled on the couch to watch the movie CJ had wanted to see since it came out on DVD.

James sat on the couch with his feet resting on the coffee table and his arm draped across the back of the couch, and CJ snuggled up to his side, sometimes resting her head on his shoulder. Though his body was lying with CJ, his mind was wandering, making plans for the weekend. He wanted their first date to be perfect. James needed to call the florists to get a bouquet of her favorite flowers delivered, make a reservation at the restaurant, go to the grocery to get the ingredients for the dessert he was going to make her, check the weather…and before he knew it, he was asleep.

When the movie was finished, CJ was on the verge of falling asleep herself, but resisted the urge and watched James sleep for a while. There was something about a guy sleeping that was just so alluring; they almost seemed childlike. CJ didn't have the heart to force him from this beautiful state so she just lay down on the couch and used his lap as a pillow.

James woke himself up at about three in the morning, slowly remembering he had fallen asleep while watching the movie with his CJ who, to his surprise and delight, was sleeping on his lap. It took James quite a bit of strength to control the bulge that was growing in his pants at the sight of the beautiful girl lying across his knees.

Ever so gently, James got off the couch, picked CJ up, and carried her the short distance to her bedroom. When he was putting her in her bed, CJ started to wake up, but James didn't notice until she grabbed his hand as he started to leave.

"Just where do you think you're going? I liked the way we were on the couch. Come lay with me again," she said softly, and she tried to pull him onto the bed.

"I don't think I can do that. I might not like myself in the morning if something between us happens tonight, if you know what I mean," he said with a wink. "Not until we have a first date at least! Now, go back to sleep. Pretty girls need their rest," he threw back, as he quietly left the room and CJ fell back into her slumber.

~~<3~~

The next morning, James got up later than usual for a Saturday, finally rolling out of bed just before noon. He knew he had a lot of things to do before their date that night, including a lot of shopping. He hopped out of bed and into his bathroom for a quick shower, slightly surprised that his knee wasn't killing him after carrying CJ to her room—certainly a sign of the end of his healing. Once he was dressed in a nice polo, his good jeans, his leg splint, and his favorite Converse tennies, James was out the door. Since CJ left a note saying she'd be home around three, he didn't have to worry about avoiding her as he made all his plans.

On his drive to the grocery store, James called his favorite nice restaurant and reserved one of the best tables for dinner that night. Next he called the florist; when he told him the flowers were for a date, much to their surprise, he graciously refused their offer of a dozen long-stem roses, opting for a dozen sunflowers. After finishing up at the store and dropping by the florist, James went back to the apartment where he made the milk and white chocolate-dipped strawberries and hid them in the back of the freezer.

James walked to the hall closet and pulled out CJ's picnic basket and a few blankets. Taking the basket into the kitchen, he took out the gel icepacks from the freezer and placed them in the basket so they fit snugly around the strawberries, leaving enough room for the bottle of sparkling wine his brother had left unopened after their apartment warming party with James' and CJ's families.

Before closing the basket, James put an old dishtowel across the top of the food and drinks and placed the blankets inside, then nestled two of their wine glasses in between the soft layers of fabric. Right after James had run downstairs to put the basket in the back of his truck, CJ came home. Neither talked much as they went inside to get ready for their dinner reservations at eight.

James stood in the living room waiting for CJ to finish getting ready. He had taken another shower and changed into his black slacks and a blue button-down shirt that made his brilliant blue eyes stand out even more than usual. CJ's door finally opened and James' jaw nearly hit the floor.

Unbeknownst to him, CJ had managed to duck out of work around one and headed over to the mall, where she'd found the most perfect little black dress. It was a fitted strapless that cut off just above the knee and she paired it with her favorite Kelly green cashmere sweater and black pointed-toe stiletto heels. She had also gently pinned her curls back away from her face, letting the world see her brilliantly colored eyes, which tonight were very green.

"You look absolutely amazing, CJ. These may pale in comparison to your beauty tonight but these are for you," James said, as he handed her the bouquet of sunflowers.

"Oh, James, thank you! They're beautiful. I can't believe you remembered sunflowers were always my favorite! Let me just put these in water before we leave; I'd hate for them to die before their time," CJ said, as she went into the kitchen. She quickly returned with a small vase holding the bundle flowers, which she set on the table.

~~<3~~

The ride to the restaurant was an awkward one to say the least. James didn't know if he should reach out and hold CJ's hand as he drove and CJ silently compared this date to the starter dates of pizza and a movie back in high school. So far, she concluded this was infinitely better. CJ gasped silently when James pulled into Paulo's, quite easily the most expensive restaurant in the city, not to mention the most authentic Italian food in the state.

"I thought you might like this place. And don't worry about how much this is going to cost; I've got everything taken care of. Now, let's go eat; I'm starving. Aren't you?" James said as parked the car, then walked over to her side to help her out. Before they were seated, James and the maître d' had a little discussion, which he wouldn't divulge.

"Famished!" was all she could get out; everything was just so surreal. After ordering their food, CJ and James were finally getting comfortable with the situation and were easily conversing and laughing like it was just another night with their best friend. The dinner was magnificent, and James constantly repeated that she looked absolutely amazing and every girl in the restaurant should be jealous that they weren't her, especially after he caught the waiter eying his beautiful date. When the waiter came out to inquire about dessert, he also brought along a red rose.

"What's this?" CJ asked him, with a confused look on her face.

"That, my dear, is a red rose," James said, trying to suppress a laugh.

"I know that, you prick. Why did the waiter bring it out for me?" CJ retorted playfully, shoving his arm.

"No need to get vulgar," James answered with a wink. "Red rose. For love. I've said it before, I'll say it again, and I will never tired of saying it. I love you, Callie Jo Davison. Now, sir, may we have the check? I have other plans for dessert tonight." The waiter happily obliged, promptly returning with the check. CJ and James left the restaurant, with James leading, but before she could get into the car, he pulled the picnic basket out of the truck and told her to come with him.

"Where are you taking me now, James? I don't like all this secrecy!" CJ whined, as James pulled her closer. They headed towards the city park, just down the street.

"You'll just have to wait and see. I know you're going to love this!"

When they got to the park, the couple strolled along the pristine, tree-lined paths, hand-in-hand, until they got to a large grassy field in the center of the park. CJ didn't say anything as James steered her out into the middle of the giant meadow. A large grin came to her face when he pulled out the blankets and spread one on the ground and set the covered plate of chocolate-covered strawberries, wine glasses, and the sparkling wine at the top edge of the blanket.

"I see what you want to do. You expect me to sit on this old blanket in my new dress and gaze at the stars until the wee hours of the morning like we used to do when we were kids. Is that it?" James nodded. "Well, you are damn fool." CJ paused. "Damn fool to think that I wouldn't want to do this! James, this is wonderful! I love watching the sky with you. We always had our deepest and most interesting talks in our backyards. I can't believe you remembered doing that!"

"How can I forget, baby girl? Those were the highlights of my childhood. Now, come lay beside me," James told her, as he sat down on the blanket, patting his lap to show her she could rest her head there.

As soon as they were settled, James got out his homemade chocolate-covered strawberries and fed them one by one to CJ and him. When they had eaten their fill of the decadent dessert, James poured both of them a glass of wine and said a little toast.

"To the best date I've ever had with the most perfect girl I've ever known and my best friend."

CJ, not to be outdone, gave her own little toast. "To the best date I've ever been on with greatest man in my life who I'm lucky to have as a best friend, roommate, and occasional personal chef."

After a few sips of the wine, James leaned over to CJ and planted an innocent kiss on her cheek before he lay down on the blanket to watch the sky. CJ beamed as she lay down also, sitting so that her head was next to his but with her body going the opposite direction. James pulled his iPod out his pocket and offered her one of the ear buds as he put the other in his then started the play list full of their favorite songs. The two lovebirds stargazed and reminisced, fully enjoying each other's company, forgetting the world around them.

~~<3~~

As soon as "I Cross My Heart" by George Strait—one of the few country songs in the list—began, CJ turned her head towards his and whispered in his ear, "James Isaac Connor, this whole night has been amazing. I just wonder how you will ever be able to top this moment right now."

"I'm glad you like this, baby. Let's not talk about the future, though, it'll spoil today," James replied, turning his head to towards hers. Both took time just to look in the other's eyes, studying their faces, eyes notably full of love. James then leaned in and captured CJ's lips with his, all the while thinking that he would give anything just to be this stunning girl's last first kiss.

The kiss itself started as a gentle, loving one but as they got caught up in their emotions, partially spurred on by the new sensations of kissing the other upside down, it turned into a passionate one. CJ's hand caressed James' face as they made out underneath the blanket of stars. That's when the idea came to CJ. She couldn't think of a better ending to this night and to start their relationship than to lose her virginity to him. When the duo broke the kiss to catch their breath, CJ had firmly made up her mind.

"Wow!"

"Yeah!"

James glanced at his watch, wondering just how long they had lain in this little paradise. He had to double-check it, not believing what he saw. One-seventeen a.m. He made a mental note to himself about the time. CJ noticed his glance and wondered what time it was herself. When she asked James, she said they should probably be getting home before one of the night cops come by and shoo them out, unless he had another surprise. James said he didn't have anything left in his bag of tricks and that was exactly what CJ wanted to hear.

Together, they gathered their belongings and strolled back to his car, which was still sitting in the restaurant parking lot. CJ laughed at herself on the walk back when she thought that she would want nothing more than to push him in the grass right now and let him claim her as his own. Instead, she limited herself to cuddling in his arm and affectionately running her hand down his side, silently giving permission to pull her closer. Likewise, James was enjoying the closeness they were sharing. The thought of what was to transpire between the two lovebirds never crossed his mind.

Upon entering the house, James and CJ went to kiss each other goodnight but that kiss quickly escalated into another make-out session. CJ dropped the cardigan she had just shed and ran her hands up his back, lightly scraping her nails and making little goose bumps appear all over his body, then wrapped her arms around his neck and laced her fingers in his thick hair.

James cradled her face in his hands for the longest time, not wanted to push her too far but when he began to sense she was completely comfortable, he snaked his arms down to her lower back, then lightly cupped her ass and pulled her body into him.