It's Against the Law Ch. 02

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here
laptopwriter
laptopwriter
3,542 Followers

She opened her mouth to say something; I assume she was about to assure me that wouldn't have happened but I wasn't buying it. I shook my head and held up my hand simultaneously, "Jean, it doesn't make any difference anyway; I can't forgive what you've done. I know you didn't mean for me to find out, but I did, and the truth is, I've never been so hurt in my entire life. Every time I tried to hold you in my arms or kiss you it would bring back the pain; I'm sorry, babe, but there is just no future left for us."

Once again she broke down and started sobbing; it was tearing my heart out; I had to get out of there. I went upstairs and lay down on the bed; I stared at the ceiling while a few tears trickled down the sides of my face. Imagining my future without Jean was something I never thought I would have to do and it wasn't much fun. I guess I must have lay there fifteen or twenty minute before Jean walked in.

"I'll pack some things and go stay with my folks," she said despondently. "I'm so sorry for what I've, Dalton; I love you with all my heart, please believe that."

I didn't respond at first; in my mind I asked myself how could that be; how could someone hurt the person they love so badly? I took a deep sigh, "I still don't see how you could talk to someone like Irv about sex and not me, your own husband; how can you love me with all your heart as you claim and betray me like that, it just doesn't make sense to me Jean; I'm supposed to be your sex partner, not him."

"It...it was just something I wanted to try; I wasn't even sure I would like it and I just couldn't take the chance...not until I was sure anyway. I thought I'd try it just a little bit and if I liked it, then I'd tell you and see if you'd be open to trying it. The problem was I did like it, but I still couldn't bring myself to talk to you; we had never talked about doing anything like that and I was just so afraid you would think badly of me; it was easier to just keep doing it with Irv; there was no risk that way...at least I didn't think there was. I kept thinking, one of these days I'd muster the courage to tell you about my fantasy, then I would cut it off with Irv..." She started crying again. "Oh my darling, I'm so sorry."

I helped put her bags and a few other items in her car for her; we looked at one another one last time before she pulled out; we both knew it was real, it was truly the end; she said she was sorry one more time, then I watched as she drove away dragging our dreams behind her.

I felt numb as I walked back inside; I looked around my empty house and fell to my knees bawling like an infant. It must have taken me half an hour or better to cry myself out; it took every ounce of strength I had left, but I finally stood up and made my way to the shower. I hoped it would wash some of my misery away but no such luck. I was just getting dressed when Jack called.

"How are you doing, buddy; is Jean there?"

"No, she left a little while ago for her folks place; she's going to stay with them," I replied.

I heard him sigh with sadness, "Look, I've got some streaks I'm going grill in the back yard a little later; why don't you come over and help us eat one of them?"

"I appreciate the offer, Jack, but I'm really not in the mood to socialize at the moment," I told him.

"Dalton, you're going to be looking at some tough times ahead, man; don't block out your friends, that's the worst thing you could do right now; you're going to need all the support you can get, old buddy; believe me. Look, come on over for dinner... a nice big juicy streak, baked potato with sour cream and my salad supreme; you want to talk, we're here to listen; you don't want to talk, that's fine too. What do you say?"

He made a good argument and that steak sounded awfully good, "Alright," I relinquished, "I'll be over in a little while. Oh," I remembered before hanging up, "Is the paper going to run the story?"

"Yeah, it'll be in tomorrow's edition; they're placing it on the front page of the local news section. They even ran the pic you took of Dave putting Irv in the squad. I had them leave off the by-line though; I didn't really think you'd want it."

"Yeah, you're right about that, I appreciate it pal; I should call Jean and warn her," I said.

"Warn her...why?" said Jack, "Shit, let her find out by herself."

I sat a minute thinking over what Jack said. He was probably right, I certainly didn't owe her anything; the problem was, up until a few days ago she was my world.

"Yeah, I know you're right, Jack; that's what I should do but I can't help feel a little sorry for her; did you see her face when that female cop brought her out of the room in cuffs, God Jack, she was absolutely terrified. As pissed and hurt as I am, I can't just turn off my feelings; I want to punish her but I don't want to destroy her."

"You do what you think is right, Dalton."

That's what I did; her dad was just helping to bring her things into the house when she picked up. "Hello...Dalton?" she answered tentatively.

"Hi, ah...listen, I have to warn you; I just talked to Jack, there's going to be an article about your arrest in Sunday's paper."

I heard her gasp, "Oh my God, Dalton, you didn't?" Her voice saddened again, "I guess I should have guessed that when I saw Jack there; okay, thanks for letting me know," she said starting to weep. "I can't even imagine how deeply I hurt you for you to strike back at me like this, I don't blame you, I know I deserve it; I'm just so sorry my love; I pray that someday you can forgive me."

That was the last thing she said but I heard her crying again before disconnecting. I was glad she was staying with her parents; at that point I wasn't sure who was hurting the worst, her or me. I guess it didn't make any difference, it wasn't a contest, neither of us would ever be the same after this.

For a while I was able to forget my troubles and had a pleasant evening at Jack's house. His wife, Lynette, is the salt of the earth and his two kids kept me busy playing cops and robbers; of course I was always the robber, three times I got shot and fell to the ground. It felt good being distracted; all I'd thought of for the last four days was Jean's infidelity, the night was a welcome reprieve.

It was a little after ten when I got home. Between getting up at four in the morning, the emotional stress of dealing with Jean, and running around Jack's yard, hiding from his squad of young detectives, I was exhausted. I dragged myself upstairs, got undressed and was asleep before my head hit the pillow.

The next morning, when I woke up I was facing Jean's side of the bed. My arm was stretched out and I figured I must have been looking for her in my sleep. I wondered if I'd ever get used to that side of the bed being empty.

I started a pot of coffee then ran back upstairs for a shower and to get dressed; by the time I was done the Sunday paper was sitting on my porch; I picked it up, grabbed a cup of morning brew and sat down to see how badly Jack had crucified my wife; I sipped some nectar to steady my nerves then pulled the local section from the paper...there it was, right at the top of the front page; Mr. Magoo couldn't miss it, and right next to the story was a nice clear shot of Irv getting into the back of the squad car; I had to laugh, it was so nice of him to look directly at me as I snapped off the shot.

Couple arrested for adultery

By Jack Northrupe: staff reporter

Arlington Hills: Acting on an anonymous tip, Arlington Hills police arrested Irving Peterson, of Burlington Heights, Friday on charges of alleged adultery. Also arrested was Jean Conrad of Arlington Hills.

"Most people don't even know the law exist," said Sargent David Wyland of the Arlington Hills police department, "Unfortunately for these two, ignorance is no excuse for breaking the law."

The couple was taken to the Arlington Hills police department for arraignment. Illinois is one of twenty-three states where adultery is a crime. The offense is a class 'A' misdemeanor and carries a maximum penalty of $2500 in fines and up to one year in jail. Currently the Attorney General's office has no comment on the charges, and is unclear at this time, whether they intend to prosecute.

Well, it certainly wasn't as bad as it could have been; he didn't mention the bondage aspect at all, thank God. I didn't mind exposing Irv for the pervert he was but I didn't want to hurt Jean any more than I had.

I made some breakfast then went into my office to work on Judy's sixteen-twenty print. The shot was so perfect I didn't have to do anything in Photoshop except darken the edges a little to give it a more dramatic appearance. After that I knocked around the house some, washed the car, mowed the lawn...this bachelor crap was for the birds, I was lonely.

I thought Monday would never come but it finally did. Thank God I had a big photo shoot that kept me busy almost all day; I was packing up my gear about four o'clock when my cell rang. I answered it in my standard business tone.

"Dalton Conrad," I announced.

"Mr. Conrad, this is Belinda Hastings, I work with you wife, I was the woman who told you about the motel," she said.

I wasn't sure if I wanted to talk to her or not. "Yes, Ms. Hastings, how can I help you?"

"I was wondering if we could meet for a drink?" she said, "I thought I'd bring you up to date on what happened here today."

"I don't think that's a good idea," I countered.

"Mr. Conrad, I'm not trying to pick you up or anything like that, Irv Peterson was fired today and I just thought you should know...just in case he tries coming after you or something."

Now, this was different, of course I wanted to hear about Irv getting fired. "Okay, when and where?" I asked.

"Ah, well I'm just about to leave here; could you meet me at the Dew-Drop-Inn on Mannheim and Touhy in about half an hour?"

"I'll be there," I responded.

She was sitting in a booth along the wall when I walked in. I hadn't notice that day in the office but she was a good looking woman; maybe a little older than Jean and me but very well put together. She smiled when I sat down and motioned for the barmaid.

I looked up at the girl as she came to the booth and ordered a lite beer before looking back at my unsolicited office spy. "Now, Ms. Hastings, you said Irv was fired?"

"Please, call me Bel, that's what everyone else does."

I nodded my head in approval and she continued.

"Yeah, we had quite a bit of excitement in our little work place today; it started out with Beverly first thing this morning; she went into your wife's office and wanted to make sure she saw the news article about her getting arrested. She had a clipping and set it down on Jean's desk in front of her. I heard Bev say you blamed her for not telling you about the affair; she was pissed at Jean and told her they were no longer friends."

I took a swig of my beer as I listened.

"Jean went into the washroom after Bev left her office; I think she went in there for a good cry. Everyone in the office knew about the article so nobody disturbed her while she was in there. She had only been back for a few minutes when Irv came busting in; he didn't even bother closing the door, he just started screaming about how her and you... he called you her asshole husband, ruined his life."

I detected a small smile on her face as she took of sip of her white wine before continuing.

"You should have heard the pile of crap Irv told his wife that night when he got home," she said with a chuckle. "By the way, who gave him the black eye, was that you?" she asked.

"Not me, although I wish it was; it must have happened in jail because he was mark free when they put him in the squad, I've got the pictures to prove it," I remarked.

"Did you take that picture of him getting in the squad car?"

I nodded my head while taking another swallow of beer.

"So you were there while all of it was happing? Damn, I don't think I could have done that, it had to be excruciating. I guess the fact that it was your picture they printed was at least a small bit of revenge, it'll probably hurt him more than a punch in the eye would have," she said.

I thought back to the moment I snapped that shot, I remembered hoping it would ruin his life; with a little luck maybe it'll succeed.

Bel continued, "Anyway, when he got home he told his wife he was car-jacked, I guess that was supposed to explain the eye; he said the car was used in a hold-up; someone called in the license number and the cops hauled him into the station for questioning."

"Gad," I said, "He must have thought all that up when he was in jail."

"Yeah, most likely; anyway, he told her while he was there they found the car abandoned and impounded it."

I was shaking my head, "it almost sounds believable, doesn't it," I said.

"Yup, and she did believe him," Bel started to chuckle again, "until she saw the picture and read about his arrest in the paper on Sunday, I guess the shit really hit the fan and she tossed him out on his ear."

"It couldn't happen to a nicer guy as far as I'm concerned," I said.

"I agree with you," she snickered, "The thing is, he was yelling so loud Mr. Jacobson came down the hall to see what was going on; you've probably met him, he's in charge of outside and inside sales. He told Irv to quiet down and get into his office; the next I knew Irv was walking out with a box full of his personal things. I don't think it was so much the newspaper article as it was his attitude; I heard them arguing and I think Mr. Jacobson just had enough of him."

"What about Jean, did she get fired too?"

"No, not as far as I know," she replied taking another sip of wine. "But before Irv left he told her he was going to get you. She told him you were a pretty tough guy and he'd do better to stay away from you, but I don't know if he believed her or not, so I thought I'd warn you; you know, to be on the lookout just in case."

"Well I appreciate that, Bel, thank you. I'm not really worried about Irv though, I hope he does try something, I'd love a chance to go for the other eye," I sneered.

"Yeah, as long as he doesn't come at you from behind with baseball bat or something," she replied.

At first I didn't think it was a good idea even to meet with the woman but I was beginning to like her. I glanced at her hand and saw no rings so maybe she didn't have to get home right away; I really hated eating alone in my kitchen and wondered if she'd have dinner with me.

"Ah, maybe I should have a bodyguard," I said with a smile, "Would you like the job for the next hour or so; if you watch my back I'll buy dinner."

She took a few seconds to think it over before responding. "That's probably not a good idea," she said disappointing me, "I hold no animosity toward Jean; she made some poor choices...really poor choices and I don't know why because basically I think she's a nice person; at least I always got along with her. Besides that I'm seeing someone; it's serious and I don't want to give anyone ideas."

I told her I understood but I really wasn't trying to start anything romantic, I was just hoping for some company.

She stared at me for another moment, "Promise not to cry in your beer all night?" she asked with a small grin.

"We'll go to a restaurant that doesn't even serve beer," I responded widening her grin a little more.

We really had a pleasant time. I told her about some of my exploits during my newspaper days; she especially liked my story about swapping dirty jokes with the President. I also learned a lot about her; she knew what I was going through because she went through it with her ex-husband five years prior. In her case almost all of her neighbors knew of her husband's affair and never said anything to her. She always wondered if she could have stopped it and possibly saved her marriage if someone would have clued her in. I told her that was exactly why I was pissed at Beverly; yes she was more Jean's friend than mine, but she claimed to be my friend as well.

When I took Bel back to her car she extended her hand to shake when saying goodbye, I didn't even get a peck on the cheek; that was alright though, the last thing I was looking for was another relationship right now; it would be a long time before I was ready for that.

It was still early, I really hated to go home, I saw Jean in every room; I didn't know what to do with myself until I drove by a theatre advertising the latest James Bond flick on the marque; no one makes you feel so good to be a man like Bond.

The rest of the week was just as lonely as it was in the beginning. On Thursday and Friday nights I went down to Plato's Place for a couple drinks and shot some pool in the back room. I hadn't done that in many years and it showed in my game; I lost a little more than fifty bucks over the two nights. I had been putting off seeing the lawyer, why I don't know, divorce was inevitable; it was just so damn hard to go through with it.

I decided putting it off was stupid; I would call my attorney first thing Monday morning and get the ball rolling. Again I didn't want Jean blindsided so sometime during the weekend I'd have to call and let her know. I wasn't sure which was going to be harder to do, the actual act of ending my marriage or telling Jean of my intentions; I guessed I'd find out.

First, however, I had something else I had to; Saturday morning I was actually in a decent mood for the first time in a while. On Friday I had stopped by the framer's and picked up my shot of Judy. Every once in a while, one of my corporate clients wants a big shot of their plant or corporate headquarters to hang in the lobby, so I found this guy who does picture framing in his basement at half the cost of the shops. He had done a wonderful job on Judy's portrait; I wished I had a studio so I could hang it up on the wall. After leaving his place I stopped at the drug store for some wrapping paper and a card.

I didn't have their phone number and couldn't even remember their last name at the moment so I just took a chance and drove over. I saw both cars in their drive so I took my present up the door and rung the bell; I was still a little nervous about the husband, you just never know how someone will react sometimes.

As it was, I had nothing to worry about. His name was Carl and he actually got tears in his eyes when Judy unwrapped her present and he saw what it was. You'd think I had given them a million dollars; neither of them could stop thanking me. They invited me to stay for coffee, and not being one for ever turning down nectar from the God's, I accepted.

Obviously I didn't know them very well, I think Jean knew them better than I did, but they were really nice people. It turned out Carl was from quite an artistic family; his father was a fairly well known watercolor artist, his sister ran an art gallery down town, and he worked as a graphic artist. Judy was also talented at hand making jewelry.

We had a lot to talk about, and before I knew it, the morning was gone. As I left to go back home I had no doubt we would become friends.

During the week I had also received forty-two orders for eight-by-tens from the two soccer teams I shot the Saturday before, so after making some lunch, I spent the rest of the afternoon making the prints; at seven-fifty a shot it was well worth my time.

I had just finished that when I got a call from Jack inviting me over for Sunday dinner again; this was turning into a full weekend; of course, the whole time I knew I still had to make a call I didn't want to make; I waited until later that night.

"Hello," I recognized the voice as Jean's mother.

"Hello mom, is Jean there?"

"Oh Dalton, I'm so glad you called, I've never seen Jean so depressed, can she come home?"

laptopwriter
laptopwriter
3,542 Followers