It's The Way You Look At Me Ch. 04

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

I put on a pot of coffee and waited for it to brew as the rest of them got dressed to leave. I poured myself a cup and had my morning dip as we waited around and watched some TV. I packed a bag of ice on my ankle and sat there for a few minutes until there was a knock at the door.

"You guys ready?" coach asked.

"All set," Jordan smiled.

"Let's get going then," he ordered. "The bus is waiting already."

*

I was sore Monday when we started practice. I did some light work with the team but was told I needed to take it easy for the time being. I iced my ankle and worked with a band to bend it and try to get some strength back to it.

Tuesday I was feeling good enough to drill lightly for the whole practice. I wasn't a hundred percent but I was able to drop back and throw. I iced it again after practice and worked it to get it stronger. By Wednesday I was back to full practice. It still had a dull ache to it but I didn't let it show. I wanted to leave little doubt that I was ready for Friday.

The buses were followed by a convoy of cars out of town. This game was closer to home so it shut down once again. We drove in silence as most of us were preparing for the game tonight. The weight of the game was starting to be felt by everyone on the bus.

We rolled in and headed into the locker room. We sat around again and talked quietly amongst one another until coach started with his speech. He again told us to leave everything on the field and play hard. Tonight would be the last game the seniors would play together regardless of how it ended. It was a somber reminder that I wouldn't see these guys on the football field next year. I would be a part of a brand new team. I would have to build new relationships and find a new go to guy.

Shane started hyping them up as we stood in the tunnel. After he did his thing we all raced out onto the field and started warming up. I threw some passes to Jordan before heading to the middle of the field. I said my thing before finding my way back to the bench. I sat there and prepared my mind before getting ready for the coin toss. We won the toss and decided to kick off. We headed back to the bench to wait.

"Alright," I said as the team was almost ready. "This is the last time us as seniors will take the field together. Let's make the most of tonight and go home champions. We don't want to remember our last game together by losing this one."

"Amen to that," Shane cheered. "Let's do this Bulldogs."

The first quarter was uneventful for both teams. Both sides were out there feeling each other out for the most part. They drove to the twenty before they turned it over on downs. We drove down the field and got a holding penalty called against us that put us in a long down and distance. We ended up missing a field goal as the first quarter came to a close.

The second wasn't much different than the first. We had a chance but Jordan bobbled the ball and dropped it. If he would have had it, we would have scored. The corner had let Jordan run free and the safety didn't come over the top to help. I put the pass on the mark but Jordan just dropped it. I didn't give him shit about it. There was enough pressure tonight so I didn't want to add to it.

It was seven to nothing as we trailed going into the locker room at half time. The third started off with us having the ball. They blew another coverage on Wade this time. He didn't miss and scored a sixty three yard touchdown. They drove the ball down the field and scored on their next possession. We used a balance of run and pass to score again as the third came to a close in a fourteen all tie.

The fourth was another battle of the defenses. We drove for a little while before the drive would stall. They would drive then stall and punt the ball away. It was getting closer to the end of the game as they prepared to punt the ball again.

Mack took the punt and cut up the left side through a little opening. He hit the brakes and turned back to the middle of the field before they finally tackled him right at midfield. We headed out onto the field and ran it on the next two downs. It got us five over the two plays and put us in a third and five.

I got the ball and dropped back to pass. The pressure started to close the pocket so I stepped up and let it run by me as I looked at Wade then to Jordan then back to Wade. I felt the pressure again so I stepped to my right and kept moving away from it. Jordan saw me moving to the right so he came back to the ball and gave me something to throw to. He caught right at the marker and was taken down as soon as he made the catch.

They stopped play to measure as I went to the sideline to get the call directly from coach.

"Owen," he barked. "If we don't have it I want you to keep it and push the pile. And when I say push I mean push. No jumping."

"Yes sir," I smiled lightly.

"If we have the first we are going to run something a little unconventional. I think it will catch them off guard and we could get something big out of it."

"Sounds like my kind of play," I smiled again. "What do you have in mind?"

"Do you remember the flea flicker that we have practiced?"

My face lit up in a smile now. I had always wanted to try it out but we had never done it. "How could I forget that one?"

"It's time we run it then. You guys thought I was crazy all these years for making you practice it. This is the chance to use it."

"Sounds good to me," I said.

"Make sure they understand what they are doing and get it done," he said firmly. "If it isn't there just throw it away and live another down."

"No problem coach. Let's make you proud."

The ref spotted the ball on the right hash and pointed ahead indicating we got the first down.

"Here we go boys," I called as I reached the huddle. "You guys ready for this one?"

They looked at me as I began my call.

"Omaha, HB left, flea flicker right, delay deep post to you Jordan, on three."

"What's that again?" Wade asked.

"Coach's old trick play," I sighed. "The flea flicker play."

"Ohh," he smiled. "I remember that one."

"Does everyone remember the play?" I asked.

There was a collection of yeses and I remember it. We headed for the line. I scanned the defense and looked it over to be sure if it was even possible to run the play. They were playing neutral but it looked like they were ready for another running play. I stood under center and took the snap after a long count.

I took the snap and turned to give it to Mack. I saw Jordan out of the corner of my eye as he stood there and watched the play. His guy figured it was a run and took about two steps towards the line where Mack was heading. I turned around and saw the ball coming my way.

It left Mack's hands and I caught it. Mack was swallowed up and taken to the ground. Jordan had taken off and was moving quickly away with nobody around him. I spun the ball to get the laces in my grip before I set my feet and threw it hard. It spiraled through the air as I felt contact on my waist. I went with the hit and fell to the ground unharmed as Jordan caught the ball in the middle of the field wide open.

He ran at half speed to the end zone for the score. The other team looked stunned that he had scored. I was surprised that it had worked as well as it had. With that we had a one touchdown lead late in the game.

Our side roared with cheers as we scored. I jumped around and hugged Mack as we celebrated our way to the sideline. Coach was all smiles as I reached him. He gave me the biggest hug that I had gotten from him since I started playing.

"Holy shit," Jordan cheered as he got to the sideline with me. "I can't believe that worked."

"You sold it perfectly," I smiled.

Shane hyped them up again before they went back on the field. The trick play really excited them and they played that way. They quickly got another stop and got us the ball back again. We headed out onto the field running the ball to take time off the clock.

"Omaha, HB slam left, check that, HB sweep right, on one," I called.

I came to the line and scanned the defense. They were playing the run pretty heavy now as they knew what our game plan was. I pulled back from Bobby and turned to Jordan. I crossed my arms quickly before turning to Wade on the other side. He got the same check before I turned to Mack and passed on the check. The line had relaxed to get my check. They knew the call as I came back under center.

I quickly glanced at Jordan and saw his hand shaking like he had always done when he got the check call. I took the snap, took a three step drop and passed it off quickly to Jordan on the hard slant. He got it and was quickly wrapped up for a five or so yard gain.

I turned towards coach and swirled my fingers to check with him about the next play. He nodded telling me silently that I was to run the run play from the previous call.

"Run the sweep play on three this time," I called.

They went to the line. The defense had backed off some as I went under center and began my count. I took it on the three and turned to stretch it out to Mack. He got it and headed right. He ran into a tackler and bounced back to the left. As he did the safety was there for a solid hit. The ball shot loose and started bouncing around as a foot kicked it away.

I gave chase and got it on a lucky bounce. My eyes started to scan down the field to see what I had. There was nothing in the immediate area so I continued left and found some open field. I ran as far as I dared before I slid to a stop for a ten yard gain.

Play came to a stop as Mack lay there on the turf. I raced back to him to see what the problem was.

"Mack," I called. "You ok?"

"No," he grunted. "Fuck that hurt."

"Stay down until the staff gets out here ok?" I called.

"Yeah," he breathed.

They stood around and let them do their thing with Mack. I went to the sideline to get orders from coach.

"Way to keep your head up Owen," he said. "That could have been bad."

"Right place right time coach," I offered.

"Stick with the run and keep the clock moving. If you see the checks don't hesitate to call them."

"Yes sir."

Mack walked off the field with nothing more than a bruised ego and the wind knocked out of him. He started getting evaluated for a concussion as I saw the backup running onto the field to take his place. We kept the clock moving with a few hand offs gaining enough each time to get another first down. It wasn't until we got inside the twenty that I checked to Jordan on quick out and threw another pass. He caught it for a small gain. We ran it again for two. It left a third and six. They called time out to stop the clock and save some time.

"Just keep the ball in your hands Owen and center the thing," coach said. "We are going to kick a field goal and go up by two scores."

"Yes sir," I said.

"Don't check the play Owen," he ordered. "Just do what I'm asking you to do on this one."

"Yes sir," I said. "I understand."

I took the snap and went left and lost a couple of yards doing it but the ball was right in the middle of the field and in a perfect spot for a field goal try. We put it through on the next play and went up by ten now.

The kick off got them to the twenty. They knew they had to pass so we played them for it. They moved the ball on the first couple of plays before we finally slowed them down. They dropped the ball on first down. They got a holding penalty on the second play that took back a big play. They made a small gain on second down and another small gain on third down. It was fourth and nine and they knew they had to go for it. I could do nothing but pace around on the sideline and hope for the best.

They broke the huddle and headed to the line with four wide. Everything seemed to slow down and be magnified as I placed my hands on my knees and watched. The crowd was a distant rumble. The guys on the sideline calling for defense was barely audible as I watched Shane switch from his left hand down to his right.

He twitched as they went with a hard count and tried to get us to jump. We stayed home as the ball finally was snapped. There was a frantic scramble as the quarterback went right down the line instead of backing up to get set to pass. I saw the ball bounce once on the ground before it slipped through his hands again. He continued to chase it. They had screwed up the center, quarterback exchange and the ball was loose on a broken play.

Shane didn't press the edge like I was accustom to seeing him do. He dropped back about two steps then raced down the line in pursuit of the ball. As the quarterback finally got a handle on the ball and started to look for his options Shane broke through the line. He was full speed ahead after their quarterback.

He spun the laces and tucked the ball. He hit the brakes and back pedaled as Shane reached him. He had ahold of him but not in a tight enough grip. He was shed as the quarterback turned back to his left and tried to make something out of nothing. Our defense stayed with their assignments and he didn't have much.

Shane had spun back around and started chasing again. As the quarterback slowed to try and find something Shane closed in on him a second time. This time it was a solid hit that wrapped his arms up as he let his weight and momentum force the quarterback to the ground. Their bodies bounced on the turf as more players piled onto the mess.

The crowd now roared loudly as the whistle blew the play dead. I jumped around the sideline with everyone else as they unpiled. Shane begged the ref for the ball before getting it and jumping to the sideline. We circled him and jumped around as he howled out loud. The celebration was short lived as coach's voice carried through the noise.

"We have to take the field and still get a first down. Owen!"

"Yes sir," I called.

"You know the drill. Nothing crazy. Just hand offs. Make sure they protect the ball."

"Yes sir."

I went to the huddle. I could feel the excitement as I reached the guys. They were still rowdy as I knelt down and began my call.

"Alright," I barked. "We don't have this thing just yet. Let's execute the plays like we have always done and get the first down. Then we can celebrate. Omaha, HB dive, two count. Keep your hands on that ball."

Scottie looked nervous as I made sure he understood the situation. He was the backup running back since Mack was still on the sidelines.

I went to the line and took the snap. I handed it off and watched him push into the line for a two yard gain. They called timeout. I went to the sideline to get orders. Coach wanted another simple hand off. I felt some relief as Mack followed me back into the huddle.

"You all right?" I asked.

"I passed," he smiled. "I'm fine."

"It's in your hands," I said.

"I got it," he smiled.

I knelt in the huddle as the guys welcomed Mack back to the game.

"Same thing boys only on a one count this time."

Mack took the ball and went right. He stopped and bounced left finding a little crease and pushed his way through for a six yard gain. They stopped the clock again.

"Owen," coach called. His voice was full of excitement as he spoke. "I'm calling your number this time. Don't leap over the pile this time. Just tuck in behind Bobby and push the pile for the first down."

"Yes sir," I said.

I jogged the huddle and knelt down to give the call. "Zebra, QB keeper, right up your ass Bobby so you better push. On one."

"I'm going to give you a hole you can drive a bus through Owen," Bobby smiled.

"Alright," I said.

"Listen," I barked. "I'm going to pull away and give a fake check call. We are not changing the play. I'm just barking orders to get them to loosen up. On one."

I went to the line and set up under Bobby. Just like I had promised I pulled away and looked back at Mack.

"Check, check," I barked. He nodded.

I turned to both Jordan and Wade and made a hand gesture. They nodded as I went back under center and checked the defense. They were talking and pointing as I gave the go and got the ball. I quickly tucked it and pressed in behind Bobby. He flattened his guy to the ground and left me with a huge hole to drive through. I gained two yards quickly before I dove forward for another and more than enough for the first down.

Bobby pulled me from the turf. I bounced to my feet and hugged him hard. He was laughing as I told him good job. The smile on his face melted my heart. He was so happy right now and he couldn't contain himself. The ref pointed ahead signaling a first down. They spotted the ball as the clock started ticking again. All I had to do was kneel down and the game was over. I didn't need coach to tell me that. Nobody needed to be told that.

I went to the huddle and gave my final call. "Victory formation, QB kneel, on one."

We broke the huddle and went to the line. The crowd was roaring loudly as I slowly went to the line. I scanned the crowd and found my dad standing there in the front row cheering. I pointed his way as he pointed back. Grandpa and Uncle Buck stood right next to him. Even from this far away I could see the emotion on grandpa's face. It almost made me break down right there. He had been to every single game I had ever played in and he was probably the most proud of me.

I shook it off and went under center. The crowd erupted as I knelt down. I kept the ball and headed to the sideline as the team jumped around and cheered in celebration. I was swarmed by the team as they cheered and jumped around. Time went so fast after that. I don't remember half of it. It slowed down once we made it in the locker room to clean up.

Coach said his thing. He spoke about how proud he was of us. He said we worked so hard for this and made his job fun and easy. He was so emotional as he tried to get it all out. We could only cheer and chant for him as he started to break down.

We got back into town on top of the world that night. We had done our little town well by winning the state title. It was well after midnight when we rolled in. We would celebrate this one tomorrow at the beach just like we had done a few weeks ago.

I got home still amped up from the game. Dad was waiting for me as I came in still holding the ball that I had saved.

"Congratulations son," he cheered. "I'm so proud of you."

"Thanks dad," I smiled.

"How are you guys going to celebrate this thing?"

"We are going to the beach tomorrow," I said.

"I have to work tomorrow so you guys have fun and stay out of trouble."

"Always," I said.

"Hey," he started. "Your uncle, grandpa, and I are going to the property this Thursday, Friday, Saturday, and Sunday to try and get a buck. I know it's late in the season now but with you playing this deep into the year it's the only chance we've had. Do you want to come with us?"

"Yeah," I said. "I will leave right after school on Friday and meet you guys there."

"Don't forget your hunting stuff then," he smiled.

"How else am I going to get a buck?"

"You won't," he joked. "Not until I get mine first."

"Ha," I laughed. "You're on dad."

He gave me a hug and said he was proud of me again. I hugged him hard and told him thank you. We went off to our rooms after that. I opened my door and flipped on the lights. I stopped dead in my tracks as I saw Jamie. She was lying in my bed on her stomach playing on her phone. She had these little boy shorts on that showed her ass off perfectly. The hem of one of my shirts rested on the small of her back.

"Whoa," I gasped.

"I was wondering when you would get here," she sassed.

I quickly shut the door and locked it this time.

"What are you doing here?" I asked dumbly.

"What do you think I'm doing here?" she said coyly.

"Dressed like that you must want something."

"This is how I sleep," she giggled.