JAA Ch. 01: Aftermath

Story Info
The apocalypse is finally here. Can mankind survive?
98k words
4.8
17.7k
37
9

Part 1 of the 6 part series

Updated 06/12/2023
Created 02/27/2019
Share this Story

Font Size

Default Font Size

Font Spacing

Default Font Spacing

Font Face

Default Font Face

Reading Theme

Default Theme (White)
You need to Log In or Sign Up to have your customization saved in your Literotica profile.
PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here
Zeb_Carter
Zeb_Carter
3,070 Followers

Copyright © 2019 - This is an original work by Zeb Carter and is protected under copyright by U.S. copyright law. It is only submitted at Literotica.Com and any submission to any other site has not been authorized by the Copyright Holder/Author.

Note: This is the first in the John Abernathy series. It is a long one, 98,000 words long or 26 Lit pages long. Also, there is no sex in this story. I will be posting other John Abernathy stories in the future in the order they should be read.

Order of the John Abernathy Adventures...

1. Aftermath

2. Time and Again

3. The Kings Undoing

4. The Lives of John Abernathy

5. Rerun

6. Winds of Change

A f t e r m a t h

A John Abernathy Adventure

Prologue

On October 12, the end of the world began. At two-fifty-two in the afternoon, the rumbling started. The ground shook for miles around. The geysers spewed their scalding vapors miles into the air. At three-fifteen in the afternoon, the ash blasted forth, followed soon after by the molten rock. The column of liquid rock was twenty-five miles in diameter, reaching heights in excess of two miles. The earth was exploding before the world's eyes.

From San Francisco to Chicago, the earthquakes at Yellowstone shook the ground. The sight of the column of ash, rock, and magma foretold Billings, Rapid City, Cheyenne, Salt Lake City, Boise and Great Falls of the disaster. As the ash cloud drifted to the east, blotting out the sun, the temperatures began to drop, quickly. The ash started to filter down around Pittsburg, blanketing the east coast with gray, gritty snow that would never melt.

After six months, the eruption slowly subsided, covering the northern hemisphere in six feet of ash. To the east of the eruption, the magma was eighty feet thick at its thinnest and still glowing red, covering most of the states of Wyoming and Nebraska. Life was untenable within ten miles of the edge. The atmospheric debris covered the northern half of the globe, trapping the heat from the magma. Temperatures skyrocketed to almost ninety degrees Fahrenheit. The Northern ice packs started melting, as were glaciers all across the northern hemisphere.

Over the next couple of months, the temperatures began to drop and drop and drop. They dropped below freezing, changing the face of the earth forever. The arctic ice sheet reformed and started expanding southward. The earth was entering another ice age. Scientists were predicting temperatures as low as minus twenty degrees below zero Celsius at the Tropic of Cancer in the winter months, with equatorial temperatures well into freezing.

The smaller debris in the air stayed aloft for more than three years, three years in which the sun never truly penetrated to the earth's surface, three years of hardship for the people of the world. Most governments of the world collapsed. The United States, in effect, no longer existed. The people who survived within the borders of the United States now fought amongst themselves for life's necessities.

The governments of China, Australia, New Zealand, Africa, all of South America, parts of India and Indonesia survived. Refugees flocked to equatorial regions to escape the ice as it traveled farther south than ever before in recorded history.

The southern Polar Regions were not as bad as the north. The ash that stayed aloft tended to stay to the north, so the southern hemisphere was sunny and warm.

The Peoples Liberation Army first landed in California, one year after the eruption to assist the brave people of the United States, restore order and peace to their country. They swept inland from L.A., they almost took over the southern tier of states. Texas was the first state to put up a fight and beat back their advance. The Chinese moved farther north and bypassed Texas until Mississippi, Alabama, and Georgia repulsed them. When they tried to go north, Tennessee stopped them in their tracks.

Daily for two years, there were battles going on all along their lines from the Pacific to the Mississippi River. On one side they had the fridge cold of the ice pack creeping closer and closer and on the other those American's that had banded together with units of the regular Army and National Guard and other branches of what was left of the US Military.

Chapter 1

A lone figure sat at a desk in a stark office. That figure, who called himself Mike Sullivan, had experienced a traumatic emotional loss and was pondering what he had done. He had just spent the last nine years of his life with two of the most beautiful and intelligent woman he knew. After finishing medical school and their residency together, he left them, left them so they could lead somewhat normal lives. One of them he had fallen in love with and he knew he had broken her heart when he just disappeared, but she was strong, she would survive and thrive. The other he would be in love with, in the future, but he knew her heart was broken also.

Mike, as it happened, was one of a few people in the world who knew what was going to happen in his future. He knew what his future self, knew, he knew the instant it happened. He knew the instant his future self, learned of something new. When it first happened, he thought he was going crazy as his mind was flooded with that knowledge. So stunned, in fact, he withdrew into himself for a period, two weeks. His parents were about to have him committed when he snapped out of his self-imposed withdrawal.

He was fourteen when it happened. He went on to finish high school, aced his SAT's which, gave him his choice of universities to attend. Full scholarship, no it was not a big ten school, nor an Ivy League school. It was a local university, with a medical program. A place where he knew he would need to be in the future. He set up shell companies and started to invent things, throughout his four years of college.

His companies made a tidy sum of money. Some of the things they could not release to the public, as there was no need or infrastructure in place for such things yet. In addition, there would not be for at least ten years, but his company developed them anyway to the consternation of the board of directors. However, his company was not public so the board did not really matter. What mattered was they made money and Mike was free to pursue his future.

After graduating from college, Mike spent the next four years searching for others like him. Others who knew their future, they did not know any future but their own. It was hard to accomplish this without people thinking Mike crazy. Mike set up a research company, which scoured the country for anomalies that signaled people like him. Everyone who started inventing things, which only occurred in the future, they looked at closely.

After six months, they found four others in the U.S. None of them had been as far along as Mike in developing their own companies and inventions. When offered a partnership in his company they jumped at the chance. The research firm kept looking and the five of them put their heads together to come up with new things to sell. In all the research firm found ten people scattered around the world.

As Mike sat pensively looking out the window, he thought back to nineteen-seventy-two, February to be exact. Jenny and Mike had been dating steadily for several months when he popped the question. He told her everything about what was to come in their lives. She was stunned to silence. She left him for a while, not answering his calls nor seeing him when he went to her home. Four weeks later, she showed up at his place. Mike let her in and she walked right to the couch and sat. He joined her and waited.

"I'm not sure," Jenny started, "I can't condone what you are doing or going to do, but I do love you and want to marry you."

"So your answer is yes?" Mike asked as if he did not know.

"Yes, but you already knew that. What I want to know is what, where, when, and how I am going to have to be alone. I want to know every detail of your future life and mine. I know, I know you don't know mine but you do know our future together."

"You're right."

Mike then told her everything. It took him four days to tell her. There were times she was crying and other times she was laughing so hard she was crying. Most of the time she could not believe her ears, but she listened to every word Mike spoke.

Those four days were very stressful for both of them. When Mike told her that he needed to join the Air Force for the next four years she laughed the hardest. He told her they had to get married and he had to join the Air Force. She just nodded her head and asked where and when they were getting married. They flew to Nevada the next day to be married and honeymooned in Hawaii.

The four years in the Air Force were an experience that Mike would never forget. It helped him with some things that he would have to do in the future, which he could not learn any other way. Once his enlistment was up in nineteen-seventy-six he was back at his corporation mapping out things they had to invent. For the next twelve years, he was very busy putting things in place for the future.

There was the invention of computer chips and cell phones, just to mention a few. They still pumped out little things that made them more money than you would ever know. Most of the money, funneled back into research, for things they were going to need in the future and which no one had invented yet. The remaining money, invested in gold went into vaults beneath their office building, for use in the future.

In nineteen-eighty-eight, it was time for Mike to enroll in Med School and make sure Michelle and subsequently Susan became doctors. Those nine years will remain the best and worst time in his life. During this time, Jenny held the reins of the company. During this time, Mike communicated with Jenny about the future items his future self, knew about. The other four then put their heads together and came up with uses for the items in question. She was not happy about where Mike was or what he was doing, but she loved him with all her heart and believed in him.

So, as Mike sat alone in his office, busier than he had ever been in his life, now or in the future, he contemplated the future of two lovely women. He had eighteen years to prepare for what was to come. It was time to start making plans, designing equipment that they would need. Eighteen years, would it be enough time?

Jenny and Mike moved back to Chicago in two-thousand, the year before the turn of the century, Michelle was now their family doctor. For Mike, it was good seeing her again, even though she had not a clue who he was. To her, he was a patient named John Abernathy. She, Jenny and John hit it off. They became not only patient and doctor but also friends, not that they were over at each other's homes but they did attend a lot of the same functions and dinners for various charities and such.

John avoided Susan during all this time. She did work at the same clinic as Michelle but John went out of his way to avoid her. Something that John really did not have control over was what Michelle decided to do with her career. He knew it was going to happen. Yet, there was no stopping her. Sometime in early May of two-thousand-five Jenny and John received a letter from Michelle.

She had chosen to limit her practice to pediatrics exclusively. It meant that they had to switch doctors. There were at least ten doctors at the clinic to choose from, but as fate would have it, Susan was the only one taking new patients. So, John's medical school love was now his doctor, only she didn't know who he really was.

The first time he went in to see her, his heart skipped a beat, he was short of breath and he could not focus his eyes. He was quite sure he was still in love with her. Yet he could not say a word to her about their past, at least not yet, not for another six years. It would be extremely hard not to let on what his feelings were for her, extremely hard. Jenny asked him if he would be okay with Susan being their doctor. John told her it would be just fine.

The years that followed were busy, there was so much to do and not enough time to do what needed to be done.

Chapter 2

The coming years were the hardest John had ever experienced. So hard at times, he resigned himself to chucking it all and running away. Then John would think of all his friends and family and get back to work. Along the way, he met people for various reasons in his business dealings and such. A few became friends. Close friends.

One of those was Waylon. Major Waylon Franklin, United States Marine Corp. Waylon, for reasons of his own, was attending a conference on global warming. John and he sat side by side at the conference. John made several snide remarks about one of the speaker's presentation, which caused Waylon to laugh out loud, causing a disruption in the presentation. The presenter was so angered that he came into the audience to confront Waylon.

When Waylon stood up, towering over the man by two feet, John repeated his snide remark again. The man turned toward John, his face red with rage, his fists curled to strike. John said two words "Canceled Grants" to him and he turned away and ran out of the room. Waylon took John out for a drink after the conference ended that day. Within a week, he was working at John's company as head of security. They were fast friends from that day forward.

~~~ [time] ~~~

The day soon came when John would have to tell Susan and Michelle who he had been in their lives when he was younger, although not that much younger. He decided to tell them together at their office. He made an appointment with Susan, faking a cold on a day when he knew Michelle would be there. Jenny came along as she always did and sat quietly by his side as they waited for Susan to come into the exam room.

A soft knock and she entered smiling at them both. John and Jenny both said their hellos and sat as Susan read the bullshit John had told the nurse. As she turned to him, he held up his hand.

"I want you to know that there is really nothing wrong with me, at this time. I needed to talk to you in a place you feel comfortable and in control."

Susan's eyes got big yet she still smiled at them.

"Doctor Reynolds, is Doctor Tomlin available for a consultation?" Jenny asked Susan.

"Whatever for?"

"Because what John is going to tell you, she should hear too."

"And what is he going to say?"

"The quicker you get Doctor Tomlin in here the sooner we shall learn."

Susan leaned back and opening the door, we all could see Michelle sitting in front of her computer.

"Doctor Tomlin," Susan called out.

"Yes," Michelle answered as she turned in her chair to face Susan.

"Do you have a minute please?"

"Of course."

Michelle rose smiling and walked to the exam room. John rose and offered her his seat. He stood admiring the three women in his life. He winked at Jenny then faced the two Doctors.

"What's going on here?" Michelle asked.

"Just bear with me for a minute Doctor." John cleared his throat. "Eighteen years ago, about, I was in school. Graduate school to be exact. I was a little older than the usual graduate student, but that didn't bother two special people that I met there. Both of them became very close friends, one very close indeed. As you might have guessed by the looks on your faces they were both females.

"We were inseparable, always studying together, always playing together. Drinking together and eating together. We enjoyed each other's company and other people enjoyed ours. After graduating I had to leave to do other things and the three of us lost touch."

John paused, watching Susan and Michelle's faces. He thought he detected the early signs of Susan noticing his story was about them but, she was not quite sure yet.

"I have kept tabs on the two women in question but have not been in touch with them officially." John smiled. "Their names were Michelle Du Page and Susan Teller. My name back then was Mike Sullivan."

Michelle's mouth dropped open and Susan cried out. Both sat in silence for a very long time. There was a knock at the door.

"Doctor is everything alright?"

"Yes," Susan said clearing her throat, "it's fine."

Michelle opened the door and stepped into the hall closing the door behind her. John just stood there looking at Susan. He was waiting for her to say something, anything. There were tears rolling down her cheeks as he watched. Jenny leaned in and put her arm around Susan's shoulders, Susan did not shrug it off. Michelle re-entered the exam room closing the door behind her.

She threw her arms around John's neck hugged him, kissing his cheek lightly. She then looked down at Susan. She let go of John and dropped to her knees taking hold of Susan's hands.

"I," Michelle cleared her throat, "have canceled both of our appointments for the rest of the day. I think we should make him take us out for an early lunch and explain," Michelle rose from her kneeling position in front of Susan and wheeled to face John, "just what the fuck he ran away for? Breaking both our hearts and causing us to break each other." Her hand struck John's cheek, the cheek she had just kissed.

"Sure, we can do that. I know just the place. Quiet, private and close by," John told them as he rubbed his cheek.

Susan stood at Michelle's urging, looked up into John's eyes and rushed forward to him. Her arms went around him as she sobbed into his chest. His arms closed around her gently. He could feel her shiver and shake with emotion. Michelle stood by her side stroking her hair as she cried out once more. She quickly stood back, breaking free of John's arms and before he could react, she slapped him across the cheek.

"I had to do what I did darling, it was predestined. Your life was never to be mine, you were always someone else's."

Susan hit him again and a third time. Jenny final stepped in and wrapped Susan in a bear hug. Michelle had removed her lab coat and was waiting by the door.

"Let's go somewhere a little more private, Susan."

Susan's head snapped around to stare at Michelle. She shrugged off Jenny's arms and slipped her lab coat off, letting it drop to the floor. Michelle opened the door and Susan followed her out, as did John and Jenny. Stops at the doctor's offices for their purses and they were headed out to the parking lot. Michelle stopped mid-stride almost being knocked down by Susan.

"Whose car are we to take?"

"Ours is right there," John, said pointing at a pearl white Cadillac.

"Fine then let's go," Michelle said heading for the car.

As John drove, the two doctors in the backseat, everyone was deep in thought. When they pulled up in front of the restaurant, the doctors exited the car quickly. They stood waiting on the sidewalk a solid front. John opened the door and waited for the women to enter. To the surprise of both Susan and Michelle, seating went quickly. Jenny kissed the proprietor on both cheeks as he seated them. John ordered drinks and coffee for everyone and told the man who appeared to be his friend to leave them alone until he signaled him. They were alone, the coffee and drinks being placed before them within minutes, of being seated.

"I will... "

"You son of a bitch," Susan interrupted him, "you will nothing. I have things to say, things that I have held inside me for eighteen god-awful years. Eighteen years, do you know what that's like? Don't you dare even try and answer me you son of a bitch." Leaning over toward John, Susan slapped him again, then sat back with tears in her eyes. "Don't you dare speak. Not one word until I tell you too."

John nodded. Jenny reached over and took his hand in hers. Susan and Michelle both glared, not at Jenny but at John.

Zeb_Carter
Zeb_Carter
3,070 Followers