JAA Ch. 01: Aftermath

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

"The rest of you spread out, collect any weapons and ammo you find and put it in the humvees. Drake, break out some rations for us all. Yes them too."

"Right boss."

Cappy stood there watching Linda as she looked over the children and adults. Waylon stood to Cappy's right watching, trying to watch, everything at once.

It took the convoy fifty minutes to catch up with them. The first vehicle in line was the duce and a half with the snowplow on the front. The plow had newly acquired scraps and dents in the blade. Cappy waved him on through the barricade. The plow blade lowered, scrapping the ground, as it pushed the debris out of the path of the rest of the convoy. The truck stopped on the other side of the bridge. The back flap flipped up and disgorged half a dozen armed men.

A humvee squealed to stop next to Cappy. Michelle leaped from the passenger's door and ran to help Linda. Two other doctors came running from the buses in the convoy to help. Four large tough looking marines slowly walked over to Waylon. George stepped out of the bus and slowly walked up to Cappy.

"She is really pissed at you," George told Cappy.

"She'll get over it."

"She will. Are we planning on doing this the rest of the way to point alpha?"

"I think we'll have too. We have no idea what is ahead of us out there. There are enough of us to take care of the convoy and forge ahead."

"She'll want to come with you."

"Too bad, she stays with you and the convoy. In fact, you just got yourself a new job. You're in charge of the convoy. Michelle is your problem once again."

"Gee thanks. Don't get me wrong, I love her to death but, she can be hard to work with."

"Tell me about it. Waylon has left four of his best and their squads with the convoy. If I were you, I'd consult with them and take their advice to heart. Also, listen to Michelle, if she's thinking with her training and not her heart, she will have some good advice. But do listen to Waylon's guys."

"I will."

"Good. Now go tell your wife what's going on. Linda, come here please?"

Linda looked up at the call of her name and started toward Cappy as George started toward his wife. Linda stood in front of Cappy looking up at him.

"Waylon, let's get mounted up. Linda, you're still with us, let's go."

Chapter 14

"You're staying with the convoy! I need you here, sweetheart."

"Don't sweetheart me..."

"Michelle, stop this instant, you are way out of line."

"Sorry, it's just..."

"I know, I know, but you can't have your way all the time. Now get in the humvee so we can get going. Your idea about the plow truck was a good one."

"Thank you, dear," Michelle said as she climbed into the back of the humvee. "Is a five-minute head started going to be enough?"

"We'll see. If not we can adjust as we go."

The advanced vehicles were now thirty minutes ahead of the convoy. Becker, in the duce and a half with the plow blade, was five minutes down the road. It was time to move out.

~~~ [time] ~~~

So far, they were behind schedule by five hours. The advanced hummers had run into two more barricades before it got too dark to continue. They overcame each barricade. The builders of the barricades all had one purpose, loot and kill those headed south away from the ice. None of them had planned to meet a force such as Cappy's.

At each of the barricades, the defenders had run away at the first sign of resistance. Cappy and his men waited for the convoy and the plow truck. Once the way was clear, they all headed out again. Twice they had to stop, wasting valuable time.

It was dark now. The trucks and buses circled in a rest area just off the highway. The water and toilets were still working. There was enough clean water so those who want to wash up, could. There was enough open space to build several fires to cook meals and warm those that chose to sleep under the stars.

They posted guards and two dogs walked the perimeter, watching and protecting. The night passed without incident.

~~~ [time] ~~~

Cappy was awakened by, a not too gentle, kick to the backside. Waylon stood over his friend smiling down at him as he scowled at the big man. Cappy could now smell the coffee and food warming over the fire nearby. Looking over at the fire, Cappy saw Linda smiling at him as she sipped her morning coffee.

"It's still dark out!" Cappy cried out, throwing the blanket, he was under to the side.

"It's oh-four-hundred, time to rise and shine," Waylon told him.

"Maybe where you're from...come to think of it...where are you from?" Cappy said with a smile.

"From hell and high water, the bayous of southern Texas," Waylon smiled.

"I knew that."

"Then why'd you ask?"

"Give me a break it's still night and I'm still tired," Cappy said as he walked over to the fire to claim some coffee for himself.

Michelle came into the light of the fire and poured herself a cup. George walked up behind her and kissed her on the cheek as he brushed past her on his way to get a cup. In the surrounding vehicles, could be heard the stirrings of those inside, as word was passed that it was time to get up. More and more people stepped into the light of the fire to pour themselves a cup of the steaming hot coffee from one of the kettles beside the fire. A makeshift table had been cobbled together and cups placed out for everyone's use. Plates had also been set out as a stew was simmering in a huge pot hung over the fire on a tripod. Bread was also available on the table.

As people came and went with their coffee and food, the core group remained within the warmth of the fire sipping their coffee and waiting for the word. As the sun would not shine through the cloud of ash, the wait lengthened until there was sufficient light to drive. The sky glowed with the sunshine hitting the topside of the ash cloud floating above. This morning it was an angry crimson.

"Time to move out, Cappy," Waylon whispered.

"Sure thing, all right, everyone listen up...it's time to move out. Get things stowed and packed and let's get this show on the road again.

"George, you have the convoy again. Michelle, you help him. Linda, let's go."

Cappy turned and walked away from the glare of Michelle's eyes as she held her husband's hand. Waylon was walking behind Cappy, chuckling to himself. Linda was giggling as she hurried to catch up.

"What seems to be so funny?"

"She is so pissed at you..." Linda said as she passed Cappy on the way to their hummer.

"She'll get over it," Cappy responded.

"I don't think so, not this time old friend," Waylon told him.

"Well, that's just too bad. I wasn't put on this Earth to please her," Cappy muttered under his breath. "Get this thing moving," Cappy told Waylon as he climbed in the driver's side.

"What about Billings and the others?" Waylon asked.

"Here they come..." Linda called from the backseat of the hummer.

The other three climbed into the back of the hummer as the second hummer pulled up alongside Cappy. The driver gave him the thumbs up sign and Cappy pointed to the highway. Waylon put the humvee in gear and pulled away from the convoy.

~~~ [time] ~~~

"We've been out ahead of them for four hours now, should we stop and wait for them or keep on going?" Cappy asked Waylon.

"Don't forget, they stopped after two hours and again just a little bit ago. They are a long way behind us now."

"Then we stop and wait."

"Where?" Waylon asked.

"Next rest stop, ahead two klicks."

"Right."

After another three minutes, they pulled into the rest area. Everyone jumped out and deployed into defensive positions. Waylon and Linda moved with precision up to the rest area building. Testing the lever to open the door he found the door locked.

"Anyone in there?" Waylon asked as he pounded on the door.

Stepping back, he drew his sidearm and fired at the locking mechanism. Leaning forward he yanked on the handle and the door flew open with the sound of metal clanging against the concrete as the bolt from the door went flying. Linda peeked around the doorjamb then ducked back.

"Nothing in sight," she said as Waylon peeked from his side of the door.

"Clear here too," Waylon said as he stepped through the doorway. "Ladies room first."

"Right." Linda stood on one side of the doorway.

Waylon pushed the door open. Linda took a quick look into the room and ducked back behind the doorway eyes wide with surprise.

"Two women huddled together in the corner my side, man with a gun on the other side. Handgun only. I didn't see a long gun."

Waylon looked at Linda with a surprised look on his face. He knew he was good and that he was an excellent teacher but she had surpassed all his other students except Susan. Waylon then took a quick peek into the room and sure enough, there they were just as Linda had called it.

"Come on out, we will not hurt you," Linda called out.

"Who are you? Military?" the man's voice called.

"No, I'm a doctor my friend is ex-military, marine. The military is mostly gone. We're just a group of civilians and ex-military trying to survive."

"You're a doctor, so is my wife."

"Maybe we know each other. My name is Linda Taylor."

"Linda? This is Joyce Bartlett."

"Joyce Bartlett, the OBGYN from maternity?"

"Yes, and you worked as a Primary Care physician away from the hospital?"

"Yes, I did. Tell your husband to put his gun away and you guys come out and we'll talk. Michelle Tomlin is with me as is Susan Reynolds."

Linda heard a noise behind her, turned, and saw Cappy standing in the doorway. She smiled at him and held up her hand telling him to wait.

"Michelle, she's that little redhead...graduated in '93?"

"That's her."

"Let me and my husband talk things over in here."

"Sure no hurry."

Linda slid down the wall and sat. Waylon backed away from the doorway and took a knee facing the door. Cappy leaned up against the doorjamb he was standing in. They all waited patiently.

After about three minutes, Waylon cleared his throat as a man stepped through the doorway his hands out in front of him. Cappy remained leaning in the doorway and Waylon stayed where he was. Linda slowly rose, turned and patted the man down. Reaching into his pocket, she pulled a nine-millimeter automatic out. She checked the magazine and the chamber slid the clip back into the handle and put the gun back in his pocket.

"Go stand over by Cappy, there in the doorway," she told him. "Joyce, come out dear."

"Burt?"

"It's all right sweetheart, you and Kim can come out."

"If you say so... "

A woman and an older child stepped through the doorway. Linda smiled at them and then leaned in and gave Joyce a hug. Joyce immediately started crying. Kim ran to her daddy.

"Is there anyone else in here?" Waylon asked.

"No, sir."

"You can call me Waylon. And this scruffy looking excuse for a man is Cappy."

"Who you callin' scruffy looking?" Cappy asked, turning to face outside. "All right, guys bathroom breaks and then set up a perimeter, move."

Nine men charged in through the door and into the men's room.

"Where are Michelle and Susan?" Joyce asked.

"Michelle will be here, in...what would say Cappy...an about an hour? Susan is ahead of us downstate at our destination...we'll see her sometime tomorrow, maybe. How did you guys get here?"

"We drove most of the way, then when the truck quit we started walking."

"How long ago did you leave Chicago?"

"Three days ago. When did you leave?"

"Yesterday, as soon as the rest get here I'll be off with this motley crew again. Are you guy's hungry?"

"Not yet, Burt broke into the vending machines."

"Ah, smart guy you got yourself, Joyce."

"Thanks, Linda."

Waylon was back as were some of the others.

"Why don't you guys hang out here while I use the ladies room?" Linda turned and ran into the building.

"Sure, no problem... "

An hour later the rest of the convoy pulled into, after radio communication was established, the rest stop. Michelle came running up to Cappy and Linda, smiled at them both and ran into the building.

"That was Michelle, Joyce."

"I recognize her, thanks."

Waylon and one of his men had been huddled with Burt while Kim and her mother sat not too far away. As Michelle returned, she noticed Joyce, stopped, and said hello. The two women hugged and stood watching as what looked to be utter chaos swirled around them. Within ten minutes, tables were set up and food, mostly cold cuts, were set out for those who might be hungry.

After about thirty minutes, Cappy signaled and Waylon, Linda, and the rest piled in the humvee's and pulled out.

"Where are they going?" Joyce asked Michelle.

"They're our advanced party. They look for people like you and anyone that might do us back here harm."

George was shouting to start packing up and Becker headed for his deuce and a half with the eight men that rode with him.

"Where should we go?" Joyce asked.

"Four buses back. There are children your Kim's age and they could use a doctor back there too."

"How many other doctors are there?"

"Nine with you and we can use everyone we find."

"Oh."

Joyce and her family walked back along the line of buses as Michelle headed for the hummer she would be riding in. She was still really pissed at Cappy for not taking her but, what he said was true, Linda did deserve the chance to be up front.

Chapter 15

Cappy sat in the lukewarm water trying to relax after a hard day on the road. Their schedule, shot to hell, needed revision. It was the end of the second day and they were only a little more than halfway to their destination. Today they had to battle past four different barricades. Two had been easy but, the third manned by men almost as good as them took much longer to overcome.

Two men wounded. Not bad but, it was a good thing that Linda had been with them. She was a real surprise, she had turned into a great battlefield doctor. Under heavy fire, she instantly, was by the side of the wounded, treating their wounds. Once finished she resumed firing at the enemy.

Cappy's group had found a motel that still had running water and gas hot water heaters that were still working. They had decided to bed down early, waited until the rest of the group was in radio contact, and told them about their find. As Cappy was reminiscing, there was a knock at his bathroom door.

"What!" Cappy shouted.

"You about finished in there?" It was Michelle's voice.

"Just about," Cappy replied. He jumped at the sound of the door opening. "What the hell!"

"Oh do shut up, I've seen you naked before, I was your doctor."

"But you aren't now..."

"I am as long a Sue isn't around! Now get your ass out of there so I can take my bath."

"Fine," Cappy said standing up and grabbing a towel off the rack.

Michelle started to undress as Cappy dried himself. She stopped once she was down to her underwear.

"Shoo...run along now you lecherous old man."

Cappy grabbed his clothes and stepped out of the bathroom with a smile on his face. Even in plain white cotton underwear, Michelle was a beautiful woman. He shook his head and started dressing. Just as he finished the room's door opened and in walked George with his daughter and Sue and Marks three kids.

"Oh I'm sorry, Michelle said she would be in this room."

"She is she's in taking a bath."

"That little tease," George said smiling. The kids all ran to the beds and hopped up on them.

"Well, I guess I better go find myself another room to sleep in..."

"No stay, the kids can sleep on the floor. There are two beds you take one and Michelle and I will take the other."

"That's really nice of you George..."

"Oh stay you dope..." Michelle said as she flung the door to the bathroom open.

She stood there naked drying her hair standing in the tub. Cappy's jaw dropped open at her audacity and at her beauty. George just shook his head.

"Michelle!" George said in exasperation.

"Fine," Michelle said in a huff and flipped the door closed.

"Alright, alright, I'll stay."

"I'm sorry..."

"No need to apologize George. I know what you're going through, why do you think I sent Jenny down ahead of me?" Cappy smiled weakly at George.

"And she's still mad at you," George whispered.

"I know," Cappy whispered back.

After dinner, everyone went to bed, either in the hotel or on the buses. All, except those on watch. Cappy was surprised at how fast the kids went to sleep as he lay there in the dark. His mind was just starting to slow down from the day's activities. Every once in awhile, he heard Michelle giggle as she and George wound down from their day. Closing his eyes, he slowly drifted off to sleep.

~~~ [time] ~~~

Cappy woke to the noise of children softly laughing. As he opened his eyes, he saw Michelle sitting on the other bed softly talking to the kids who were sitting at her feet. From what Cappy could hear she was telling them a story about a bunny. He closed his eyes and lay there listening to her soft, sweet voice.

There was a soft knock at the door. Cappy could hear Michelle get up from the bed and softly tiptoe to the door. He could hear hushed whispers coming not only from Michelle but also Waylon.

"I'm awake," Cappy said.

"Ah, there you go. He's awake, come right in then." Michelle said with a smile in her voice.

Cappy just continued to lie back enjoying the warmth of the blankets and the softness of the bed. He heard Waylon stomp over to the bed. Opening one eye Cappy looked up at his friend.

"You comfy?" Waylon asked staring down at his friend.

"You bet buddy."

"You do know it's past ten in the morning?"

"Really? I guess I better get up then."

"Probably would be a good idea."

"Why did you let me sleep so late?" Cappy asked swinging his legs over the side of the bed and sitting up.

"Michelle wouldn't let me in here. She kept saying 'Doctors orders'."

"Well okay then, we better get going, don't you think?"

"We're just waiting on you old buddy."

"I see. I'll meet you downstairs."

"All right," Waylon said turning and leaving the room.

Michelle was still at the door and was shooing the kids out of the room closing the door behind them.

"You needed the sleep and don't try and tell me you didn't, I know you did, I'm a doctor."

"Did I say anything?"

"No, but you are going too."

"Come here," Cappy, said.

Michelle walked over to where he sat and stood in front of him.

"Sit."

Michelle sat on the bed across from him.

"You are a dear friend and I appreciate you looking after me."

"But..."

"No, but, just a thank you." Cappy stood up stepping over to Michelle and taking her hands and pulling her up to him.

He grabbed her shoulders, leaned in, and kissed her on the forehead. She wrapped her arms around his neck pulling him to her. She put her face into his neck and kissed his throat tenderly. Cappy wrapped his arms around her and gave her a quick squeeze then let go. She backed away from him looking him in the eye. She moved her mouth without speaking and said 'I still love you.'

Cappy smiled at her and winked. He turned and picked up his equipment. He opened the closet and retrieved his weapon. Turning for the door, he stopped short, turned back looking at Michelle.

"Michelle, I have always loved you and I always will but, while we are on the road nothing can happen between us. Clear?"

"Yes dear," she said meekly. "I understand. Do take care out there, though."

"I will."

Cappy turned and opened the door and stepped out of the room. Michelle stood there, tears streaming down her face as the door closed behind her first love. Just as she was wiping her eyes on a towel from the bathroom, George poked his head in the door.

1...7891011...28