Jack and Diane Ch. 02-04

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

Now, Jack may well have had a girl in every port, he may have used his cocktail party technique to entice some of the attractive guests to his berth, and he might think that he was impervious to women's wiles, but he hadn't met anyone like Diane before. She ran her life, and she had decided that Jack was going to be a major part of it, and, naturally, he would think it was all his own idea.

Diane's full court went into operation the following Wednesday, at the site meeting. As they moved around the site she ensured she was close to Jack. This was easy to accomplish because they were still discussing the thermal link. Crispin and Jack were in deep conversation about the technicalities, and she, of course, was taking notes, from beside Jack, not Crispin.

When she got a pebble in her boot she reached for Jack to steady herself. Then she held his arm for balance as she removed the boot and shook out the pebble.

Diane was pleased at last to get rid of the stone she had placed in her boot as she put them on. Well she couldn't leave it to chance and something had to fall out of her boot, didn't it? Strangely, she had no tissues with her, to clean the mud from her hand. She had sensibly left her handbag in the car and omitted to bring any with her. Both Crispin and Jack proffered handkerchiefs, and she accepted the nearest...Jack's of course.

This set the tone for the site visit. Diane always kept Jack close at hand, but not obviously so. She often, but not too often, found it necessary to ask for clarification on a technical matter. This was partly because Jack was turned away from her to speak to Crispin, partly because of the noise of the site and partly because of the wind. The real reason was to repeatedly draw Jack's attention to her. Her actions produced the required result. Ever the gentleman, Jack took the opportunity to reciprocate Diane's dinner invitation. Unfortunately he chose Friday night of the following week, the night she was going out with friends. So calendars were consulted and the best night for Diane was Saturday, two days hence. Jack arranged to pick her up and Diane headed back to the office to confirm her provisional hairdressing appointment for that Saturday morning.

Jack walked over to the site hut, for his pre-arranged meeting with the site supervisor and the foremen from the various disciplines involved in the installation. He was not thinking about the meeting but where he was going to take Diane. What had been intended as an engagement to be organised at leisure was suddenly more pressing. The works meeting over-ran. By the time he would get back to the office it would be closed, although he was a key holder. There seemed little point in crossing town to get to the office so he picked up a copy of the local paper on his way back to his flat.

He sat after dinner checking through the entertainments guide in the paper and restaurants, theatres, and cinemas in the Yellow Pages. There was nothing at the cinema that attracted his eye. His choice was kids flicks, horror, or action. Clearly none of those suited a first date. The production at the local theatre was the last night of a touring version of Grease. That seemed uncontroversial enough but could he get two tickets at this short notice? Fatally, he didn't realise that he had thought of it as a first date. Bait taken, he was about to be imperceptibly reeled in.

The only tickets available were returns for a box. He felt that a box was a little ostentatious for a first date but took it anyway. He chose to book a table for the after show meal at the theatre as well.

Diane had arranged for him to collect her from her parents' house. When he arrived she wasn't ready.

"Where are we going?" she asked.

"The theatre and dinner after. Aren't you ready?"

"You didn't tell me where we were going, so how could I know what to wear?" she chided, "You'll have to wait with Mummy and Daddy 'til I'm ready."

Deftly, Diane had arranged for Jack and her parents to meet. In her bedroom she had a choice of outfits laid out, covering all eventualities. She chose the one that complimented Jack's, and befitted a night at the theatre. It didn't take long to get ready but she knew the value of delay. After a suitable wait she entered the room, creating the impression of haste.

"I'm sorry to take so long; I hope we aren't going to be late." To her parents, "I'll see you later, don't wait up."

Diane had Jack on the defensive and played it for all it was worth, emphasising that it was not his fault and thereby adding to his discomfiture. When they were directed to the box in the theatre she expressed her delight at the position, but, apparently absently, wondered if she was appropriately dressed for such a noticeable situation. Nevertheless, she closely watched his obvious embarrassment and determined that it was time to back off.

The rest of the evening was delightful. Jack danced attendance on her. He had flowers and chocolates for the show, drinks ordered for the interval, and dinner was actually quite intimate. They had a side booth with a clear view of the string quartet.

Jack was apologetic about his thoughtlessness but Diane very quickly reassured him that it was of no consequence and that he should not let it spoil the evening.

After dinner Jack drove Diane home and escorted her to her door. When she had opened the door Jack started to turn to leave but Diane held his arm and as he turned to face her she embraced him, pressing her bosom to his chest, and her lips softly to his. Without another word, she slipped into the hall and closed the door. Quickly she peeked through the door viewer. Jack stood for a moment, wide eyed and mouth slightly agape before his face creased in a naughty boy grin and he turned and walked to his car with a definite nautical swagger to his gait. Diane smiled as he dropped into her keep net.

The whistle of the kettle brought Diane back to the reality of her present situation. She turned to find that Peter had the table laid and all she had to do was serve.

She went to call the children for their meal.

She found them in Georgie's room. Harry held his sister, as she shuddered through each body trembling sob. Her son's tear rimed glare lanced through her. For the first time in her life Diane was aware of the result of her actions. For years, either everything had fallen just as she wanted, or she had her parents or Jack to back her up. This time she knew she was on her own. Peter couldn't help to explain things to the children and she had just sent packing, the one man she knew could.

"Why did you do this to us?" Harry demanded.

"Supper's ready," Diane offered tentatively.

"Why did you do this to us?" Harry repeated.

"We'll talk after supper, darling," she pleaded.

Harry snorted. "Georgie." He spoke quietly to his sister. "Georgie, supper's ready. Let's go eat."

"I want my Daddy." She answered flatly.

"I know, so do I, but we have to have supper. We'll see Daddy soon."

12