Jack and Diane Ch. 08-10

Story Info
So you think it's amicable?
4.1k words
4.56
78.5k
24

Part 4 of the 7 part series

Updated 11/01/2022
Created 10/16/2007
Share this Story

Font Size

Default Font Size

Font Spacing

Default Font Spacing

Font Face

Default Font Face

Reading Theme

Default Theme (White)
You need to Log In or Sign Up to have your customization saved in your Literotica profile.
PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

I apologise for the delay in submitting the next parts of this story. I got the dreaded blue screen of death and have had to rescue the story from a couple of sources. The final part is just being tidied up. Thanks to rpsuch for his comments and advice on technique. I haven't entirely implemented them here because of the hiatus but I haven't disregarded them either!:)

Jack and Diane Ch 08

People like to talk. Jack had developed the skill of getting people to talk. Putting the two together, he was able to gather a reasonable picture of Diane's actions, but not her reasons.

Joining the gym, Jack came into regular contact with Peter. He intended to make Peter uncomfortable. Observing his routine in the gym was a surprise. Peter was very good at his job and treated all his clients in a very proficient manner. Conversing with other users, Jack discovered that all the trainers had a reputation for maintaining a professional distance between themselves and their clients. Not only that, but the gym staff ensured that any predatory behaviour was quickly dealt with. Their reputation was that women could use the facilities in safety and comfort. This even extended to the car park, which was well lit and comprehensively covered by CCTV.

What he did learn though was that Diane had initiated the relationship. She had not been flagrant in her flirting, but the other women had picked up on the signals, even though the men didn't. There had been no activity around the gym so Jack was unable to establish where the affair had been consummated. Nevertheless that point was moot. Diane had made it quite clear that he was being replaced and the result was the divorce.

For his part, Peter was unfazed by Jack's presence, to the extent that he even welcomed Jack on their first encounter. He was professional enough to give Jack advice on the use of the equipment and exercises appropriate to help improve the mobility of his arms. Peter even asked for advice on how to help improve the relationship between the children and their mother and him. He was clearly interested in the children's well-being. Despite himself Jack started to warm to him. In fact, he had to admit that, had Peter been one of his staff, he would have every confidence in him.

This rather changed the complexion of Jack's plan. Peter had, to some extent, shown Jack that his primary concern had to be to resolve the children's anxieties, and uncertainties. Much to his chagrin, he was also persuaded that Peter did, in fact, love Diane. That, he found hardest to bear. Whilst the flame of his own love for her was dying, he had a feeling that the embers would glow for a very long time. That self knowledge only added to his current pain.

Jack was now ashamed of the ignobility of his initial desire for a grand revenge on Diane and Peter. He was embarrassed with himself for making Peter a target for reprisal. Clearly, Peter was as innocent of any wrong doing, just as were Jack, Harry and Georgie. Laying all the blame on Diane, however, meant that somewhere along the line he had misjudged his wife and the nature of their marriage. It made him question everything about the past fifteen or so years. Revenge, however, can come in many ways.

Diane was due to collect the children to take them to the house in Devon for the weekend. Jack had arranged that he and David would have a round of golf and then a night on the town. Jack collected the kids from school and found David waiting for him when he arrived home. Harry and Georgie rushed into the house to change and collect their back-packs for the week-end. Jack lifted his clubs and was loading them into David's car when Diane drove up. She got out of her car in high dudgeon and stormed over to Jack.

"BASTARD!" she screamed, and caught him with a full blooded slap across the face as he straightened from loading the clubs. She was about to hit him again when he pushed her away. She stumbled backwards and landed heavily on her rump. Peter had just got out of the car and moved to restrain her.

"You bastard, you did that deliberately!" she screamed again. By this time the children had appeared with their bags.

Jack ruefully rubbed his cheek wondering what he was supposed to have done. He looked at Diane, who was trying to break free from Peter. Then he looked quizzically at Peter.

"I was stopped by the police because my brake light was out. You bastard!" she shrieked

"That's hardly my fault." said Jack.

"It's not that and you know it, you fucker!"

"Sorry Diane, you've lost me."

"They checked the car tax and it was out of date!" her rant continued, "then they asked for the MOT certificate and my insurance and they were both out of date too!"

"Oh dear. And that's my fault how?" A small smile played over Jack's face as he realised what had happened.

Diane redoubled her efforts to break free and continue her assault.

"You should have got it tested and renewed the tax and insurance!" she shrieked.

"Not my problem honey. It's your car. It always was. You wanted a divorce so I don't have any responsibility for it."

"I didn't get any renewal notice."

"I see, you didn't tell them about your change of address then." It was getting difficult not to gloat.

"You should have passed them on to me when they arrived here."

"Again, not my problem. Anyway I did. Any mail for you gets sent back to the Post Office with your new address on it. If they don't re-direct it in time it's nothing to do with me."

"You knew."

Jack changed the argument. "So you're telling me that car isn't taxed, insured or tested? I'm afraid you can't have the children then."

"WHAT?" she screamed, "I'll take you to court for full custody, you bastard!"

"I'm sorry but it wouldn't be very responsible of me to let the children go in a car that I knew wasn't roadworthy, Diane."

Diane was mouthing apoplectically. "You, you..."

"I think maybe you should call a taxi so you can go and get Peter's car. Assuming it is taxed and everything, that is."

Jack looked at Peter who had a strange look on his face, somewhere between anger and laughter. Fortunately Diane couldn't see it. "Come on Diane," he said, "we'll go get my car," and he firmly conducted Diane back to her car.

Jack turned to David. "Can we drop the kids off at Peter's so they can have their weekend?" he asked.

"Sure, no problem," then to Peter, "We'll follow you."

The children were very quiet on the journey. Jack tried to reassure them that their Mum was just angry with him and not them. He didn't want to ruin their weekend; Diane was more than capable of doing that.

Having dropped them off David and Jack headed for the golf club. "You devious bastard," David chortled, "you knew that would happen, didn't you?"

"Not to that degree," admitted Jack.

"She'll get points on her license, as well."

"Oh, dear, to bad, so sad, you're confusing me with someone who gives a fuck," laughed Jack. Somewhat hollowly, thought David.

"Simon and Milla are making a four ball with us then we'll head down the George for dinner."

"As long as you are paying, I'm a poor divorcee now you know."

David snorted.

Jack had a good game but Simon was a 7 handicap and swept the board. Dinner was fun and they all danced with Milla at some stage in the evening. David and Jack danced with a few other women as well. At the end of the night Jack went home to an empty house. He checked the horses before retiring.

Next morning he woke to a lonely silence and spent the morning tending to the animals and the domestic chores. He was about to take each of the horses out in turn for some exercise, when Milla turned up with her nieces. "I thought you could do with a hand exercising the beasts" she explained. They spent a pleasant afternoon hacking through the countryside. Milla noted, however, that Jack's bonhomie was a little forced. "Why don't you come over for dinner this evening?" she offered.

"Thanks Milla, but I'm going to have to learn to live with it. There's a pile of ironing to be done anyway."

Camilla laughed. "Somehow I can't imagine you in a pinny."

Jack had just finished the dishes after his evening meal when David walked into the kitchen with a litre and a half bottle of rum, coke, crisps and nuts. "Righty-ho old fruit! Time for a jolly-old chin wag, I think."

"I take it you and Milla have decided I'm your new charity case."

"Milla may have, dear boy, but as far as I'm concerned you're only my oldest chum."

"You still talk like some old Sir Buffton-Tuffton, David."

"Yes, its handy in court, the opposition still underestimates me, old chap. Works wonders sometimes. Apart from all that, I know full well you are still bottling everything up. The ankle-biters are out of the way, so you can get uproariously drunk and suffer in peace, if not in pieces, in the morning."

"We'd better tend to the horses first then."

"Move them into the pasture. The police caught the horse-slasher so they can graze away and we won't have to worry about them too early."

David carefully got Jack drunk while he maintained his own sobriety and then got him to bed. He checked the horses and locked the house before retiring himself.

Jack and Diane Chapter 9

Next morning David dragged Jack from bed and they both went for a run, then showered, before having breakfast.

"You haven't said anything about the divorce Jack."

"Nothing to say."

"Bollocks. I know you better than anyone except perhaps Milla. You've bottled everything up for the sake of the kids. If you don't release the pressure the boiler will burst."

"Did Milla send you to do this?"

"Fucks sake, Jack, Milla isn't the only one who cares about you. Gimme some fucking credit."

"Sorry, David. I know it was you steered me in the right direction first."

"Damn right. Now, I know you, Diane's lucky she's still vertical. So, spill."

"I don't know David. Milla convinced me that the kids would need their mother as well as me. I've come to terms with it. If I do anything to her it's just going to hurt Harry and Georgie. Their mother has caused them enough turmoil without me making things worse."

"All very mature. Did you deliberately fuck up the tax and insurance on the car?"

"Actually? No. I'm not saying I wasn't pleased about it, but when I met her, Diane was pretty high powered. She looked after that stuff for her boss. I'd 'a thought she'd have realised about it. Of course I tended to deal with all that so she probably didn't know it was due precisely then."

"What exactly are you gonna do then."

"Just get on with life. The job's secure. In fact if I wanted I could probably give it up and live of my investments. It wouldn't be flash but I could get by. The kids are OK at school, and Harry will be doing his GCSEs soon. So I'll just have to suck it up and get on with it."

"I'm not really talking about that. Divorce is as bad as bereavement. I'm a solicitor. I've seen plenty of both. You could do with some counselling."

"Counselling! D'you think I'm some sort of a nutter?"

"Far from it. But you need to get it out of your system. You haven't talked to me or Milla, so maybe a stranger would be best."

"You and Milla did cook this up between you then." Jack sighed.

"No, Jack, we didn't cook anything up. We're both concerned about you, that's all. We're both prepared to listen and we're both prepared to help whatever way we can."

"Thanks David. I really did love her, you know?" tears started to flow.

"I know." Thank fuck, David thought. At last, some emotion. If he'd bottled it much longer things could really have gone downhill fast, and that wasn't going to help the kids.

"She always, ALWAYS seemed happy with me. She really was a good wife. What the fuck did I do?"

"I don't think you did anything Jack. She just seemed to have made some sort of decision."

"But WHY? That's what I don't understand."

"I really don't think you're going to find out. I think it was just her. I think you are going to have to accept it and move on mate."

"Dry your eyes mate. Huh?"

"What?"

"That song by The Streets, "Dry your eyes mate, I know it's hard to take it, but her mind is made up," or something like that."

"Oh, aye. Well, maybe."

"Let's go take the horses out for a jaunt."

Together the old friends got the horses into the stables. As they were saddling two, Milla and Simon drove in. Jack looked at David and raised an eyebrow.

"Nothing to do with me."

"The PoW?" said Simon, leading out a bay gelding and saddling up.

"Prince of Wales? Sounds good to me." said David. "I think George keeps that field just for riders to put their horses in to increase his trade."

"Well it sure as heck works. To the bridle-way!"

"And Beyond"

The afternoon passed discussing the finer points of the horses unsaddled in the field beside the pub and then the four friends ambled back by the bridleway again. As they were rubbing the horses down in the yard, Peter drove in with Harry and Georgie.

"I dropped Diane off before we came over. I thought it would avoid any nastiness." said Peter.

"Thanks" said Jack. "Did they behave."

"Oh yes, they were very good. I think we got on alright." Peter ruffled Harry's hair. "Diane is another matter though," he cautioned.

"Thanks for dropping them back."

"See you later kids," Peter called as he drove off. Jack noted that Harry and Georgie waved, happily.

With the horses cooled and stabled David, Milla and Simon left. "Right you pair, supper." Jack ushered the children into the house.

**************************

Having got Georgie to bed, Jack and Harry were doing the dishes in the kitchen. "Mum's very angry all the time, Dad." Harry commenced, "Georgie is really upset about everything."

"What about you, son?"

"Oh, I'm alright"

Jack took the opportunity to talk things through with his son to reassure him and to find out how Georgie was. In a way, Harry seemed to be dealing with the situation better than he was, but David's chat had focussed his mind somewhat and he knew that it was time to take his friend's advice.

Harry went to bed and Jack sat down with the newspaper and a cup of tea. The doorbell rang. Jack checked the viewer and saw two police officers. He opened the door.

"Are you John Winters," asked the male officer.

"Yes, what can I do fo..."

"John Winters, you are under arrest for assault on Diane Winters."

The female officer stepped forward and Jack stepped back, only to receive a facefull of pepper spray followed by a blow to his solar plexus, which momentarily paralysed his breathing. He pitched forward and felt his arms being pulled behind his back and handcuffed. He was dragged unceremoniously to the police car, gasping for breath and trying to tell the officers about Harry and Georgie.

Jack and Diane Chapter 10

Diane didn't believe Jack's protestation of innocence. Cold fury replaced the burning embarrassment. It festered the whole weekend and she was very withdrawn. Peter tried to make up for her lack of involvement with the children and it only made her angrier. This should have been a chance for them to re-connect. Her plan to win them over to the idea of coming to live with her in Devon had been sidelined by Jack's dirty tricks. Well if that was how he wanted to play it she was more than a match for him. The pain in her arse gave her an idea of how to deal with that other pain in her arse. When Peter dropped her off at the flat before leaving the children off, she promptly drove down to the police station.

Diane asked the officer on the occurrence desk if she could speak with a female officer, and after a short wait was taken into an interview room. She told the policewoman, W.P.C. Graham, that she had gone to collect her children for an agreed visitation, but that her husband had at first refused to let them come with her. She claimed that her daughter was crying and trying to get to her, but when she tried to go to her, Jack had pushed her to the ground.

The police officer took note of all the details and arranged for a medical examination. She made note of the fact that Jack had been in the Services and asked if he had any record of violence. Diane told her how he had been a boxer and how he had been involved in some kind of attack on another sailor. W.P.C. Graham left Diane with the doctor for the medical examination and spoke with her Sergeant. When the doctor was finished the constable checked that Diane would be going back to a safe place and that she knew how to contact the station if there was any threat from her ex-husband. She convinced the Duty Sergeant that Mr Winters should be arrested on a domestic violence charge. Taking a male officer, P.C. Connors, with her, she went to Jack's house.

As soon as the door opened, Constable Graham made the arrest, squirted him with pepper spray, and hit him with her baton. The two officers cuffed him and loaded him into the car. Once he was in the car the police man wanted to know what she was doing using the spray and baton.

"I told you on the way over he had a history of violence."

"Yeah, but he didn't do anything."

"What did you want? He assaulted his wife, he's got previous, if he put you down what would have happened to me? All you say is he threatened us and it was the only way to make the arrest."

"Yeah, but..."

"Are you trying to let a wife beater get away with it? Is that it?"

"No but..."

"You just back me up. You don't want to be known as someone who doesn't back-up his oppo!"

Back at the station Jack was processed by the Custody Sergeant. W.P.C. Graham made her statement. Connors' contribution consisted of "yes" at the appropriate moments. Jack was placed in a cell and told he had to wait for the doctor but as it was shift change-over he might be a while. All his attempts tell them about the children were ignored.

Jack felt he had been in the cell for hours when the door opened and a voice said, "I thought it might be you."

Looking up through bleary eyes Jack peered and replied, "Henshaw? Able Seaman Jimmy Henshaw?"

"As was, Sir." Henshaw was delighted, "I didn't think you'd remember me. What the hell are you doing here?"

Jack told Sergeant Henshaw about his children. A car was dispatched immediately, and then Jack explained his story. When he finished Jimmy Henshaw dropped a bombshell on him

"You know that bitch that nicked you, Graham."

"Yes."

"Her maiden name's McVeigh."

"What?

A constable interrupted them, "Skip, Winters' lawyer's here."

"That's Mr Winters to you, constable, this man saved my life!"

"Sorry sergeant, Mr Winters' lawyer is here."

"Right, show him into the interview room and get Inspector Willis down there, pronto."

Things started to move quickly after that. David was waiting for them. The moment they walked into the interview room, he started to speak, Sergeant Henshaw raised his hand to stop him.

"I think, sir, there's more to this than would appear. So if you don't mind, I think we should wait until the Inspector gets here."

David looked at Jack who agreed.

"Are the kids OK?" Jack asked.

"Yes, Harry was at the top of the stairs and saw what happened. He phoned your father. He and your mum ran down to them and phoned me. They are safe, at your parents' house."

The Inspector arrived. Sgt Henshaw took him to the next interview room to outline events, using the reports from Constable Graham and the Custody Sergeant as the starting point.

"From what I can see here Sir, W.P.C. Graham has seriously mishandled this enquiry. She responded to the initial complaint properly, but the arrest is a clusterfuck.

When he had finished his assessment, the Inspector shook his head grimly. "Shit! This looks like a case for Complaints and Discipline. Fuck, Fuck, Fuck! It'll probably have to go to the Police Complaints Commission. I'm going to have to get someone in from outside. The Chief and the Super are going to hang out of us. Thanks for the heads up, by the way"

12