Janet's Broken Promise

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here
GWBosh
GWBosh
407 Followers

Richard gently stroked her hand and changed the topic. In a way Janet was glad, she felt a bit silly talking about her inner feelings, but in a way she was annoyed as this was the first time for a very long time she had thought about such things, let alone talked about them.

It was Richard's turn to be gently questioned. He welcomed the chance and spoke about the important people he knew, his new Beamer and keeler. Janet felt slightly strange.

Richard was right to feel good about his successes, but she wondered who in this audience could give a stuff whether he had a BMW 750 or 735, whether his keeler was 35 feet or 40 feet, or for that matter, whether he had a keeler at all.

Erica started to yawn and Joe suggested that as they had a big day tomorrow he was going to bed. He started to clear the dinner dishes but George and David insisted that he take a break and they would do them. Without thinking, Janet got up and helped.

Richard was already in bed when she finished.

"Darling, I don't think you need to do the dishes. We paid a lot of money for this trek.

"And I don't think you should talk so personally about yourself to strangers."

Janet said nothing but when Richard put his hand on her breast, she removed it.

"Not tonight darling. I'm tired."

The new day was bright and clear, the wind had dropped completely. Richard and Janet went outside. Below were the forest covered hills they had climbed yesterday. They could see the river valley far below and further out, the ocean. With their binoculars they could see the white surf crashing into the rocky shoreline.

Above them a ridge stretched skywards, about 1000 feet above was the snow-line. Far in the distance were the mighty peaks of the main divide which they would cross on their trek.

The others joined them and Janet loaned Erica the binoculars for her to look.

"Oh, look Richard, is that your BMW in the hotel carpark?"

Richard took the binoculars and studied. Janet saw his smile of satisfaction and wondered why he spent more time looking at his car than the natural beauty around him.

Joe produced a breakfast of fruit salad and omlettes.

"Joe, you should teach the chef at the Hilton how to make omlettes," said Janet helping herself to another.

"Careful, darling, you'll put on weight," said Richard.

Janet stared down at her plate saying nothing. This trekking burned more than 4000 calories a day. There was no way she would be putting on weight. And she didn't need him to tell her in public what to eat.

Janet finished the omlette and helped do the dishes and clean the cabin while Richard read a book.

Joe gave them an introduction to safety on the snow. He then clipped everyone onto the safety rope.

"The last trekker who went down the side of the mountain slid down 2,000 feet. It took us a week to get him out. He had to survive on snow and mountain goat droppings."

"Why did he look her straight in the eye when he told these ridiculous stories," wondered Janet.

What had been rain on the lower hills the previous day had been snow at this altitude and Joe warned that it would be another exhausting day. The helicopter arrived to transport their spare gear to the next hut.

"Do you want to get on it Janet?" asked Richard. "We could be down in a couple of hours."

Janet didn't reply but continued her conversation with George about his time in prison.

Joe led the way. Once they were in the snow he hacked steps where the going was steep.Janet, who prided herself on her fitness was finding the going tough and marveled at Joe's endurance. Two hours later they reached their first peak only to see yet another peak ascending even higher.

All around were mountains covered in snow although down one side Janet could see a valley below the snow-line with a small mountain lake.

"I'm getting stuffed," said Joe. "Who wants to be next on clearing the path?"

Richard started to say something about hired help but Deborah stepped forward and took the ice ax.

It was easier going now and Janet was able to take in the view and became more exhilarated as the day continued.

When they stopped for tea some mountain parrots joined them Almost completely fearless they rummaged around to inspect these intruders and to look for food. Janet had taken off her sunglasses and only just managed to retrieve them before an inquisitive parrot stole them.

Joe pointed across the valley and Janet looked through her binoculars. There were about 20 chamois, mountain goats, browsing on the snow tussock. She passed the binoculars to Richard, but he wasn't interested.

For the next stretch Erica took over the path clearing duties. Once she slipped and Janet noticed Jim's hands on her bottom to steady her. She felt disapproval rising within her. Then she wondered why she was concerned what happened between Joe and Erica.

Janet remembered the comfort of Joe's strong grip when she had slipped in the river the previous day.

During the day everyone except Richard had a turn in front. He muttered to Janet that it wasn't his job to be a tour guide and he would be making an official complaint. Janet stared at him. "Why couldn't he just unwind a bit?"

Janet had her turn. Joe was right behind. Once when she was trying to climb up a steep part she felt his hands firmly pushing on her buttocks.

"If you fall back on us we'll all be living on snow and mountain goat droppings," Joe muttered.

They reached the next peak and had another of Joe's delicious lunches.. Joe pointed into the valley far below where they could see a cabin beside a small lake.

"Good news and bad news folks. It's downhill for the rest of today. Tomorrow we must climb back up."

It was downhill most of the way, but the last half hour was going up a steep path. They were well below the snow again. It was mid afternoon under the beating sun, they were all sweating profusely by the time they reached the cabin.

It was identical to that of the previous night, but the view was different. In front was a small lake and behind that the mighty peaks of of the main divide soared. Some blue mountain ducks splashed across the lake before they took off into the sky.

"Showers are the same as last night," said Joe." But there is another shower here which we can use."

They asked what it was but he refused to tell but, intrigued they picked up towels and shampoo and joined him as he took them on a small path around a rocky outcrop. There was a waterfall about 20 feet high falling into a shallow pool.

"Close your eyes if you like ladies," laughed Joe. He stripped naked and ran 20 yards to the waterfall.

Janet saw his naked back and buttocks. He was lean, but had well defined muscles. He stood under the waterfall with some shampoo and washed his hair and body. The six trekkers watched not knowing what to do. Janet thought she would wait till he had finished.

It was mousy Deborah who surprised her, taking off her clothes and rushing to the tumbling water. Deborah squealed at the cold but Joe passed her the shampoo. David joined his wife, then George. Janet saw that his whole body was covered with tattoos.

Erica looked at Janet. "Dare you!" They both took off their clothes and hand in hand rushed to the laughing group. Janet felt a little awkward at first. There were three men she hardly knew, naked with penises bouncing.

She kept her back to the group while she washed but then noticed she was the only one being modest. She turned around and found she was standing right in front of Joe. Her first reaction was to cover her breasts and pubic hair with her hands but somehow Janet resisted the urge and looked him steadily in the eye.

But Joe didn't leer at her body. He was laughing as Deborah was washing his back. David was washing Erica's.

"Could you do my back please Janet," asked George.

She started to wash his tattooed back.

"Isn't there a single part of you that isn't tattooed?" she asked.

"One part, but I'm too much of a gentleman to show," laughed George.

"This is a strange tattoo," said Janet, touching George's back.

"That's not a tattoo. That's where my Rita stabbed me with the bread-knife. Hell's teeth, I love that feisty woman."

Janet decided there was a world which was far from her experience.

They continued washing and laughing until the cold drove them out. All six sat on a grassy mound as the sun warmed them. Their bodies tingled delightfully from the blood rushing to their cold skin. No-one took any notice of their own nudity or anyone else's.

Janet leaned back her face and body to the sun. Her breasts were fully exposed and she supposed that if anyone cared to look they could see her pubic hair. But nobody cared to.

"Where's Richard?" asked Erica.

"Oh God, he didn't come in with us" thought Janet. "He's gone back to the cabin by himself."

Quickly she dressed. Richard had had a shower in the cabin.

"Enjoy your shower Janet?"

"It was just lovely."

"Good. I imagine those men enjoyed your shower as well."

Richard picked up his book and went outside to read. Janet could tell he was seething with anger.

Janet changed her clothes then went outside and sat beside him. She stroked his hand, but felt him immediately withdraw it.

"What's the matter Richard."

"I saw him push your bum."

"But I was slipping back. He pushed George's bum once."

"I never thought you would flaunt yourself in front of other men."

"Richard, you are being silly darling. It was just fun and it was innocent. I wished you had come in, it was so lovely."

"Janet, I think you had better understand something. We've got to maintain standards. It won't help my career if it gets around that you are flaunting yourself in front of an ex-con."

Janet reflected. Richard was telling her what to say, telling what she couldn't eat, telling her to stop enjoying herself on the best adventure she had had in her life. She eyed him coldly as he read his book.

"I'm going to join the others."

"See if you can keep your clothes on this time."

Richard didn't lift his face from his book.

Janet stood still almost in shock at his rudeness. She thought about a reply but stalked away.

Joe, Deborah and Erica were deep in conversation. Janet noticed Joe was holding Erica's hand.

"Tramp," she thought. Then Janet wondered why she was judgmental. It was no concern of hers what Joe and Erica did. Then she felt guilty; Erica was a long time friend of Joe's and her father was ill.

George and David were discussing wine. How incongruous it was to see this tattooed giant talking wine.

"Hey Janet," called David. "The helicopter has dropped us some French red. Do you want to try it?"

Janet drank some and recognized that it was not nearly as good as the Australian she had drunk the night before. But she didn't say so. She decided to make an effort and took some wine into Richard.

"Would you like some wine Richard. It's French."

"Just leave the bottle here will you."

She chatted to Erica. It turned out that her father was progressing well but still needed time to recover. No wonder Joe was holding her hand. It was a serious illness. Janet could imagine Erica's concern, perhaps that was the reason Joe had been holding her hand

"You and Joe seem very friendly."

"I've known him for so long. We all think of ourselves almost as one family. Sometimes I call him my Godfather."

Erica looked at Janet with a smile. "And no, we don't bonk. I suppose because we hold hands a bit and hug a bit lot's of people think we do. I think of him as something between and elder brother and an uncle."

The two then played chess, but Janet's mind was distracted by Richard and she lost quickly.

Another of Joe's magnificent meals appeared as if by magic. This time baked salmon. Richard came out for the food but sat in silence. Janet noticed he drank three glasses of wine in the short time it took him to eat. He ignored Deborah's and George's attempts at conversation with him.

He stood up, Janet noticed unsteadily, picked up another bottle of wine and headed for their bedroom.

"Richard, please don't drink anymore," said Janet. "You won't be able to trek tomorrow."

He looked at her with unfocused eyes. "Come into the room sweetheart. Get your gear off and let's party, just you and me."

Janet didn't know what to say. She was embarrassed by the scene. Richard staggered towards the bedroom with his wine.

"I can see you want to get your gear off in front of these good folk and party out here. Like the waterfall."

Erica gave Janet a hug. And they chatted away about anything other than Richard's behavior. After half an hour Janet checked to see what Richard was doing. Passed out on the bed, snoring. She covered him with a blanket and left the room

Janet needed some space to think. She excused herself and sat outside in the moonlight.

Was she doing the right thing marrying him? He must be able to see that she was loving this trek yet all he did was try and stop it. Why couldn't he talk to anyone who wasn't filthy rich? How could he say things like that to her in public?

Images came into her mind..

Richard, with his look of satisfaction as he studied his BMW through the binoculars. Joe, with his boyish enthusiasm as he pointed out the mountain goats to her.

Richard's perfectly sculpted gym developed body. Joe's lean, hard toughness when she saw him under the waterfall. Richard talking about his big deals. Joe laughing as the mountain parrot almost took her sunglasses.

She thought back to her ex-husband, Ted, but without nostalgia. Life was him was so boring.

Then it struck her. Richard was a clone of Ted, her ex. Better looking to be sure, just as successful in business, giving her expensive treats. But really and truly, when they were alone together without alcohol to spark the conversation, what did they talk about? Money, business deals and expensive things.

And their sex already it was down to once a week, sometimes not even that. And how long since she had had an orgasm?

She was making the same mistake again.

Joe appeared with two cups of tea.

"Would you prefer to be alone?"

Janet looked up at him."This view is wonderful enough to share."

They sat side by side gazing at the view, sipping their tea and saying nothing. The moon's silver light reflected off the snow covered mountains and the ripples on the lake. There was a no sound, a complete and utter silence. Janet felt as if she and Joe were the only two people in the world.

Joe pointed to the distance. "See that dip in the mountain ridge, that's the pass we will be crossing in two days."

"Where?" said Janet.

Joe moved closer so that she could follow the direction of his pointed arm.

"Ah yes, I see. How high is that?"

"About 7,000 feet, no big deal. It's called Icy Death Pass"

"How many times have you crossed it?"

"Just about enough times to wreak my knees I suspect."

"And how many trekkers have slipped off and had to live off snow and goat droppings for a week."

"You'll be the first."

"Will you save save me?"

"Now that you have stopped telling us about luxury hotels and fabulous overseas holidays."

Janet laughed.

"No overseas holiday has been as wonderful as this."

"You're only saying that because you are fascinated by George's tattoos."

"Janet, it's none of my business what happens in relationships on these trek. But there are rules about conduct with other members. After what Richard said to you in public I would normally have a quiet word and tell him if it happens again he's on the next helicopter out."

Janet looked at Joe. She was unsure how much she should talk to him.

"I've never seen him behave like this before. It's a side of his character I didn't know existed."

"People like you and Richard normally react in one of two ways,"said Joe

"What do you mean, people like us?"

"Successful city people who are used to people taking notice of them.."

"Is that what you think of me?"

Joe ignored her question. "Either they fall in love with the trekking and the different environment."

He tapped Janet's shoulder. "That's you I suspect. Or else they can't stand being one of a group, they can't stand being out of their comfort zone. That may be Richard."

"I'm not going to marry him."

"Think carefully Janet. The mountain air can make you think in different ways. When you get back to the city you may find that you feel the same way you used to."

"He's exactly the same as my ex-husband. Now that I have realized that I can see the same things starting to happen."

"What are those?"

"I'm sorry Joe, I can't really talk about that," said Janet thinking she wasn't going to discuss her sex life with this stranger.

"There must be something wrong with me to be only interested in men with lot's of money, who are important, or at least think they are."

"Perhaps because those things are important to you."

"I'm not going to feel guilty about being in the waterfall with all of you."

There was a long pause while they drank their tea.

"That's a mountain parrot tattooed on your shoulder isn't it?" asked Janet.

"Were you leering at me under the waterfall Janet?"

"At first I thought it was an eagle, but the I think those funny, eccentric, independent minded parrots are more like you."

Joe said nothing and they both stared at the silver mountains.

"I'm a bit cold."

It seemed natural that Joe put his arm around her shoulder. It seemed natural that Janet should snuggle in to feel the warmth.

"How will Richard cope with the trek tomorrow after all that booze?"

"It'll be a tough day for him," said Joe. "But I doubt that will happen. My bet is he will suddenly find he has an important business deal and will take the helicopter out. You may have a decision to make"

"I'm going to finish this trek. I'm loving every minute of it."

Janet sipped her tea.

"Have you ever thought of having another tattoo on your other shoulder?"

"What do you think I should have?"

"A dolphin maybe."

"Why a dolphin?"

"Because they seem to smile all the time and always seem to be enjoying themselves."

"Dolphins are my favorite animals but I couldn't have a tattoo of one."

"Why not."

"They bonk over 50 times a day. It would give me an inferiority complex"

"Do they really?" Janet giggled and wriggled under Joe's arm.

"I saw you looking at me under the waterfall."

"Cut it out Janet. "I'm trek leader. I'm a professional. I don't things like that."

"What did you think."

"I'm not allowed to say. But it did make think of dolphins."

Janet laughed.

"I hope he does go back tomorrow."

"Careful beautiful Janet. You were happily betrothed a day ago."

Joe stood up and held out his hand to help Janet up. Janet gave him a brief but tight hug and a kiss on the cheek.

"Thank you for being so nice to talk to."

They returned to the cabin. Janet went to her bedroom and got into bed beside Richard who was still snoring from his drink.

She lay awake for a long time. She looked at Richard without affection. She thought about Joe. That was a really nice conversation and it felt so good snuggled under his arm.

How could she feel so relaxed and happy and even a bit excited sitting with this man, just staring at the stars with his arm around her and saying nothing?

She thought for some time, fingering the ring on her finger.

The next morning Richard was talking on his mobile phone. Janet could tell he was talking to the CEO of one the largest companies.

She used to feel pride when she heard his important conversations and appreciative of his incisive mind when she heard him speak. Now Janet just thought, "God this is so boring."

She went with Erica and Deborah for another shower under the waterfall. Richard was still on the phone when she returned. She joined the others in cleaning and tidying the cabin.

GWBosh
GWBosh
407 Followers