Jelly Bean and Her Bail Bondsman Ch. 01

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

But Anita was taking this interview seriously. Her youthful enthusiasm was catching. I was delighted with her and I could tell Anita really wanted this job because she oversold herself.

I already made up my mind. As far as I was concerned I was buying in the figurative sense and all the pound sterling in Jolly Old England would not dissuade me.

I would have to think it over to decide the best way to go about it.

Anita has the same small frame as her mother and they are just about the same height. She certainly would look and feel better with the weight off. When that happened Anita's striking resemblance to Audrey Hepburn would be astounding.

Strict but gentle seemed the best course of action. I would set the example and work alongside Anita.

I'm sure that Anita could be an asset to the business and I hoped Anita would enjoy working for me until she got her teaching position.

I would also have to do something about her nails...Anita bit them.

I noticed Anita's mother's hands were nicely manicured and obviously professionally done; short and sensible with a clear coat of nail polish. What a knock out Anita could be; especially after seeing her mother.

I also wondered if Anita was a virgin....well so much for mixing business with pleasure..."

****************************************

I was sure I talked too much but Danny didn't seem to mind.

He listened patiently and was looking at me thoughtfully with his baby blue eyes. Of course if he hired me I couldn't call him Danny.

That wouldn't be proper. It would be Mr. Skinner. This was a business after all. I was not so nervous any more. He listens so patiently and seems so easy to talk to.

At the end of the interview Danny said, "I will give you my decision in a week's time. I will say this though, I approve of the way you are dressed. I keep with a dress code for myself during business hours and will expect the same for my hire."

I just nodded hopefully. Danny was wearing a suit and tie. I was glad I listened to Mom when she helped me select my clothes. Mom was right. I would tell her what Danny said about them.

I also wished I listened to Mom and not had my almost waist length hair cut short for this interview. I could have just pinned it up like I did with my other ones. I look nice with my hair pinned up in a bun.

Mom taught me several ways to do it. We did our hair in those styles for church, holidays or other special occasions when we dress up.

Dad calls Mom and me his gentle ladies.

I never went to a salon for my haircuts; not even when I was in college. Mom always did that for me and for Aunt Joyce. We never had bangs or layers. Mom cut our hair perfectly straight across the bottom. Aunt Joyce, Mom's sister cuts Mom's hair the same way.

Stubborn me, I had just enough money in the credit union to buy four new tires for my car but instead decided to make an appointment with the most exclusive and expensive hair salon in town, "Monique's. I was thinking a chin length blunt cut bob that I could easily grow if I didn't like it.

To make a long story short the place was almost opulent in décor while Monique' was charming and very persuasive.

We spent almost an hour just discussing my haircut, the consultation. Monique convinced me that I was hiding behind my long hair and while the bob was a step in the right direction, an edgy, modern cropped hair cut would project confidence and a professional image to my prospective employer while still being attractive and sexy to the discriminating male.

I left Monique's 3 hours later and $250.00 poorer with a balance of $20.00 in my checking account.

"I have to appear in court in ninety minutes. Would you like to call your Mother for a ride? You can use my telephone if you wish."

"No thank you, Mr. Skinner. I have Mom on speed dial in my cell phone."

****************************************

Anita put her briefcase on my desk and slid it forward to open the flap to get her cell phone. She knocked her coffee cup over in the process spilling her cold coffee on my desk and onto my lap which caused me to stand suddenly.

"I'm so sorry Mr. Skinner, let me help you!" Anita exclaimed as she grabbed the briefcase to get the napkins underneath. She then managed to knock over my empty coffee cup which I caught, but sent the candy dish crashing to the floor scattering jelly beans and pieces of lead glass in all directions.

Anita dropped her briefcase napkins in hand and tried to come around the desk to get to me. She caught her shoe on the leg of the desk and tripped leaving her shoe behind. I caught her and pulled her close while picking her up and swinging her away from the broken glass.

As I put Anita down I stepped back with my hands on her waist. She looked up at me, blushing.

"Are you hurt, Ms. Jones? I asked, very amused with the surprised and embarrassed blush on her pretty face.

"No; I'm so embarrassed, Danny, I mean Mr. Skinner, I...."

I interrupted Anita by putting my index finger over her lips and watched her eyes get big...big soft and brown; Anita is so smart but so naive and innocent in the ways of men and women. She would be delightful to have around.

"Hush, you have done enough talking for today. It was an accident plain and simple. Nobody was hurt." I quietly said while looking down into Anita soft brown eyes, "You should call your mother now....."

****************************************

I'm such a klutz. I helped Danny clean up my mess and he then went upstairs to change clothes. I was certain that Danny would never hire me now. Thank goodness my coffee was cold and I didn't burn him.

I only took a couple of sips from the cup with all the talking I did.

Danny made me sit in the chair with my hands folded in my lap like a naughty child until Mom pulled into the driveway out front to pick me up. He then took my arm and briefcase and escorted me outside. Danny opened the door for me to get in and closed it before walking around to talk to my Mom.

"Well Mr. Skinner, how did my baby's interview go?

'Oh, Mother!' I thought, "Why did you have to call me your baby in front of him. I love you Mom, but now I'm really embarrassed.'

"It went swimmingly, Mrs. Jones. Isn't that right, jelly bean?" He said looking at me and smiling. I just nodded, thinking, "Great, now he's making fun of me. I can kiss this job goodbye.'

I saw him looking at Mom's purse and at the photograph of Mom and me together when my hair was long. It was taken when I graduated from college at our summer house in Maine. Mom had it put in a small plastic picture frame holder made for her key chain.

"Who are those two beautiful ladies in the picture?" Danny asked, "Are they sisters?"

"You really are a charmer, Mr. Skinner. That's Anita and me last year at the summer house in Maine on the beach. What do you think of her new look."

"Well....its, ah, boyish, I mean very appropriate for a young girl... young lady who is serious about entering the job market."

'Don't say it, Mom...don't say it,' I thought.

"I have other pictures from when Anita was a baby to the present. Would you like to see them?"

"I have some time before court, yes I would be delighted."

Mom looked at both of us and smiled......

****************************************

I sulked in my room for the rest of the day looking through the want-ads in the newspaper I refused to talk about my interview....the perfect opportunity and oh well, clumsy me. I would never have my own apartment.

I went downstairs and looked in the cupboards for something to eat and there was nothing to eat...at least not what I wanted, junk food and no great loss I was too fat anyway.

The tire on my car was still flat and would be until Dad came home to change it. I dreaded telling them I spent all that money on a haircut. Somehow I realized they wouldn't be impressed.

I just stood there looking at the flat tire and feeling sorry for myself when Mom pulled in with the groceries.

"Give me a hand with the groceries will you baby?" Mom said getting out of her car.

I dutifully followed Mom into the house with several bags in each hand and as I was helping her put them away when Mom asked, "Did you have a good sulk?" and I blew up at her.

"Did you have to call me your baby in front of Danny, Mom, did you?

It is bad enough I made a clumsy fool of myself.

It's bad enough I spilled coffee on Danny and then broke an expensive candy dish.

I'm not a baby; I'm twenty years old for goodness sake. Can you imagine what Danny thought when you called me that?

It's bad enough Danny thinks that I'm a young girl who looks like a boy?"

"Is it Danny now? What happened to Mr. Skinner?"

"I meant Mr. Skinner."

"Of course you did."

"You can return all the blouses and skirts we bought. I don't need them. I can't even buy my tires now. I did a stupid thing and spent $250.00 on this ridiculous boy's haircut!"

"That was your decision to waste your money that way, Anita. Your father bought you that car for you to use with the stipulation you maintain it. It is going to sit in the driveway with a flat tire until you can afford four new tires and a spare."

"Don't you get it Mom; he's never going to hire me. Even if I find a minimum wage job I can't afford to drive. How will I get to work?"

"You can walk or take the bus ....the car stays put."

*****************************************

Mr. Skinner called exactly a week from the day of the interview. I was certain that he was going to hire my baby. Call it a Mother's intuition.

"Good morning lovely lady. This is Daniel Skinner. Is your sister, I mean your daughter at home?"

"Good morning, Daniel," I said, smiling, "You don't mind that I call you Daniel, do you Mr. Skinner."

"Please do."

"Well in that case you may call me Mary. Anita is at work."

"I don't understand? Who is Anita working for?"

"Anita got a job as a waitress at Zane's truck stop on Route 17. I hear the food is very good there despite the rough crowd. Can I take a message?"

There was a pause in the conversation as if Daniel was caught by surprise or was thinking......"I see, well thank you for your time, Mary. Good bye."

I sat there thinking, 'Yes, yes, I just knew it.'

*****************************************

Getting out of my recently acquired red Corvette convertible, I walked completely around the building to see if there were other doors besides the front entrance. There was a back door near the kitchen. Judging from the cigarette butts in a metal pail full of sand the employees took their smoke breaks there. The perimeter of the building and parking lot was clean and tidy; an indication the inside was the same

Satisfied I went inside and sat in a corner booth near the kitchen so I could watch both entrances. Old habits are hard to break and being aware of my surroundings has always served me well.

Most of the customers were truckers and dressed for the road. I was the odd man out in a suit and tie.

There was no sign of Anita yet. One of the waitresses seeing me looking around caught my eyes. She reached behind the server's station hesitating while doing something with her hands.

She walked over to me with a menu in her left hand and I watched her slip something in her dress pocket with her right.

"I'm Sally and I'll be your server this afternoon. Can I start you out with something to drink?" She asked while handing me the menu.

Sally is a tall voluptuous and buxom in her early forties. I'd say about five-nine in height and about one- hundred-forty in weight. Sally's flaming red hair was styled in a single thick braid that just brushed the top of her tight little ass. She had a beautiful figure and flaunted it nicely in her tight fitting brown polyester dress and white apron. Sally gave me a little show as she walked over....a little tease.

She was studying me boldly with her green eyes. Her eyes said, "I'm available". I was tempted as I checked her out, especially the third finger on her left hand..... No engagement ring.

"I'll have a cup of hot tea. Does the Chili here taste as good as you smell, Sally? If I'm not mistaken you're wearing Jovan."

That didn't faze Sally a bit, "Yes, I'm wearing Jovan Musk."

Sally leaned in close and whispered, "Do you like?"

"I like very much and no doubt so does your husband."

I was teasing Sally and she knew it. Sally wasn't married. Waitresses work hard for their money and I respect that.

They will often wear a wedding band to keep from getting hit on by customers. The lack of an engagement ring was another clue.

"I only wear it to keep away unwanted advances. But you already know that handsome. I was looking at your hand too," Sally said smiling and touching it with hers'."

I tugged on her braid, "Do you want me to advance, beautiful?" I asked smiling and enjoying the batter.

"Isn't it obvious?"

"I like it hot and spicy, Red. But unfortunately I'm here on business and will have to settle for a bowl of chili and a cup of tea....for now."

After Sally left, I was thinking about waitresses in general and then about the only married woman I ever had as a lover.

Barbara was the only person I ever told about my almost adoption.

Back then all I wanted was to get laid. I am not much a drinker now except for wine with a meal or an occasional glass of bitter India pale ale or stout. I like brandy over of Irish whiskey over a game of chess.

I have always had a sweet tooth though and especially for ice cream and jelly beans.

Waitresses were always a good bet. They told that I was charming in a rough sort of way with the gift of gab. I always had plenty of bed partners with waitresses and a warm place to sleep. They took me home with them and babied me; they also screwed my brains out.

I met Barbara in the Manhattan Criminal Court on Centre Street. We were the only two passengers in an elevator when the power went out during a city blackout. The emergency generator was offline due to some construction going in the basement.

Barbara was buxom strawberry blonde who normally wore her middle of the back length hair in a tight bun at the base of her neck and dressed very prim and proper except when she was with me.

Her husband was a doctor who regularly attended lengthy retreats somewhere on the Hudson River. Barbara implied prayer was an option.

I met with Barbra all over New York State and always at a different bed & breakfast until we found one with plenty of sand.

Her beautiful hair was always down then or she wore it in a ponytail.

Barbara would curl it for me if I asked. When she was with me Barbara dressed to show off her marvelous figure and she wore makeup. Barbara was a vivacious fifty when our affair started.

I was eighteen and I loved her.

Barbra taught me to dance and how to act and dress in polite company. I went with Barbara to my first Renaissance Fair in Sterling, New York and while we were there I bought her a red ribbon for her ponytail.

After that day Barbara always told me that I made her feel young again; I didn't understand what she meant at the time.

Barbara surprised me with a gift of a leather bound copy of Black's Law Dictionary at our next bed & breakfast romantic tryst. We made a game out of it asking each other questions and creating scenarios for pretend cases and then argued actual ones. I carried that law dictionary and another dictionary with me when I was on the road to read when I wasn't driving or was on stakeout to pass the time.

Barbara saw something in me and encouraged me to get a High School Equivalency and then attend college. Our affair lasted two years when Barbara broke it off suddenly without an explanation.

Shortly after I passed the New York Bar at thirty, I received a package by a Private Currier Service and I signed for it.

It was from a Law Firm in New York City; the name of the firm is not important.

Inside the cardboard box was an envelope with the Firm's Letter head on it and inside the envelope was a newspaper clipping?

There was also a rectangular lead glass crystal candy dish containing a solid sterling silver filigree fountain pen and a common cedar pencil?

There was also a note in the candy dish, the most priceless gift of all.

It was written on fine linen parchment that was tied with red ribbon; the ribbon I gave her at the fair and was secured with a wax seal. I opened the note first to read Barbra's flowing handwriting?

The note simply said, "Always marry for love and then remain true. Never be ashamed of where you come from; therein lies your strength. I always knew you had it in you. I love you Danny."

I recognized the pen; Barbara carried it with her always. It was a gift from her parents when she graduated from Law School and then held in trust for me by the law firm after Barbara died.

That was the first time in my adult life that I cried....

****************************************

My first day was terrible. Being new I've been assigned the worst tables and have to work the counter were the tips are generally lousy. Sally had to step in five times to correct my orders and mollify my customers because of my mistakes... God bless her. I was nervous and dropping things. The men here make me so nervous. I have been hit on more times than I can count from males sixteen to seventy.

Sally had to cover my section for almost an hour on my first day when I was groped by a Mexican trucker. Zane chased him out of the restaurant with a baseball bat and then took out the headlights on the Mexican's truck for good measure.

I was a wreck and I locked myself in the bathroom and cried.

I' m able to handle things better now, but sometimes we get so busy it makes my head spin. I hate Jason the day cook. He was always leering at me.

He whispered lewd things to me that made me blush when I picked up my orders. Seeing this Sally stepped in and threatened to cut Jason's balls off with a rusty knife and now Jason won't even look at me...good.

We sit together during our breaks and talk. Sally feels I need to find another line of work but has my back for as long as I work here.

Sally suggested that I follow up for my teaching job while I work here, but in the mean time I should call Danny and keep on calling until he hires me. Funny, that is exactly what Mom said..."

****************************************

I finally saw Anita filling coffee cups for two unwashed and dirty looking men in their early twenties. They were wearing stained and greasy leather jackets and sitting on stools at the counter near the cash register.

One of them was a large porcine looking brute with a shaved head and the start of a big belly.

The other was a skinny greasy little weasel with no chin. He had filthy dirty hair sticking out in all directions under the camouflage bandana tied around small head rodent looking head. He also had a high nasal laugh like a donkey braying every time big mouth porcine man made a joke or stupid comment.

I didn't hear what they said to Anita but they were laughing as she walked away blushing with a coffee pot to refill the cups for the customers at her tables.

As Anita was returning to stand behind the counter the big porcine one slapped her ass. I'd seen enough damn them. Anita wasn't some low woman or biker's whore to be treated like that. She would start today and would be leaving with me as soon as possible.

Sally was right on top of it though and was telling them to behave when I walked up behind them. They weren't wearing colors so it was obvious that they were not affiliated with any known gang.

"Ms. Jones, may I have a word with you, please?" and when Anita saw me her face lit up and that made me feel so good.