Jersey Summer Love

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

"What are you doing?" She tilted her head to the side, curious. He tried to do a front flip, but landed as a belly-flop. She laughed.

"See, I got you to laugh. Come up. It's fun."

"I did trampoline in gymnastics once, when I was like four." She climbed up and took his outstretched hands and jumped with him. She knew he was trying to distract her from her misery and it was working.

"I forgot how much fun this was." She jumped really high and did a back flip in the air, landing gracefully on her feet.

"Reflexes of a cat, huh?" he remarked. "Oops sorry." He slammed into her at his own back-flip attempt failed, toppling her over and landing on top of her.

"You did that on purpose," Raina accused, wriggling beneath him.

"Did not." Logan looked down into her eyes and rubbed his nose against hers. "Well maybe just a little."

"Hmph," she sighed.

"Did my distraction work?"

"Just a little," she repeated back to him, closing her eyes. "You're different than most guys," she mused outloud.

"How so?" Logan caressed her shoulder-length hair.

"For one; you actually listen. Two; you seem to care. Three; I like that your responsible."

"Oh, I can be irresponsible when the time calls for it," he vowed.

"You know what I mean," she chuckled.

"Yeah, I guess." He rolled off of her and lay beside her.

"Then again; you could totally be playing me, preying on my emotions, and using me for the summer," Raina considered.

"Are you always this cynical?" He squinted up at the sun and his voice hardened.

"Let's go for that ride." She avoided the question and jumped off the trampoline to wait for him.

"I have a better idea. Let's go to the beach." As if on cue, the deafening roar of a motor announced that the fire-engine-red speed boat was back in the lagoon. Coral waved from the bow, beaming at her sister and chattering wildly.

"Thanks, Jackson!" Coral hugged Jack. The girls had learned that the buff guy from the first day had indeed been Jack. The house was his father's. The boat, too.

"Anyway time, sweetie. Maybe next time your sister would like to ride along," Jack answered, looking over at Raina.

"When you opened her up and gave her juice, I thought I was going to fly off the back of the boat. It was crazy." Coral's hands flew in excited gestures. "I doubt Raina could handle the fire," she giggled.

"Yeah, well keep quiet about it, sweetcheeks. If my dad finds out that I lit the jets for a pretty face, he'd kick my ass." Jackson reminded her.

"Ohh! You mean you did that special for me?" she asked in a sweet voice.

"You wouldn't stop pestering me about it. You're one persistent little thing, aren't you?" Jack laughed as she batted her eyelashes flirtatiously. "If you were just a few years older..."

"Yes?" Coral asked expectantly.

"Well you'd be a few years older, now wouldn't you?" Jack grinned as he handed her down off the boat.

Raina rounded on her sister as soon as her foot touched down.

"You should have told me you were going for a ride," Raina admonished as Coral walked past her and climbed into the jacuzzi, flanked by Ryan and Mark, once again.

"I couldn't find you." The lie came easily through her lips and slipped past her teeth. "Anyway, we're all going to the beach later. Wanna come with? Actually, I insist you go with us because otherwise Mom won't let me go either."

"Well since you put it that way." Raina rolled her eyes.

"Ohmygod Raina, you should have seen the flames shooting off the boat. Jack and his Dad are professional speedboat-racers. It was kick-ass," Coral rambled.

"Flames?" Raina's asked weakly, her eyebrows lifting. "Is that even legal?" Raina asked Jack who had moored the boat and was now standing on the dock above her. She couldn't help the shock and concern in her voice.

"My Dad has a license for it," Jack defended.

"And do you?" she questioned him. She had learned from Logan that Jack was twenty-one and had an addiction to the speed of an engine. He also revealed to her how wealthy his family was and that they owned many properties, including several just in her own neighborhood.

"No," Jack hesitated. Raina might have been petite, but when it came to her sister's safety, she could be as fierce as her mother. "I was careful with your baby sister though. Don't worry your pretty little head about it."

"Oh, it's not my head I'm worried about." Raina poked at his smooth, hairless abdomen.

When Logan intervened on behalf of his friend, Raina wasn't sure if it had to do with her hand lingering on the Jack's six-pack, or if he was just trying to diffuse the situation. She thought she detected a hint of jealousy in his eyes.

"Why don't you go home and ask your parents if you two can come with us to the boardwalk? The guys are going clubbing, but we can just walk the boards or stroll along the shore." Logan stood in front of of her, blocking her view from Jack's muscles. It was almost cute the way he worried about her looking at his friends. She worried about it becoming possessiveness. The second it turned into that, she would be gone. She only had eyes for him. She hoped she could convey that to him; somehow, sometime.

"Where are you guys going?"

"It seems a split between Seaside and Point. I was thinking we'd go to Seaside since that's closer, as far as your curfew is concerned."

"I don't feel like being a baby sitter tonight," Raina complained. Why did she always have to take Coral with her?

"Make the pretense of it. Coral is in safe hands from any scumbags with Mark and Ryan to protect her. Right guys?" He looked pointedly at the two younger boys.

"Yeah sure," Ryan said.

"We'll take care of her," Mark added.

Somehow that didn't really reassure Raina. It wasn't that she thought the two boys would disrespect her sister, it was more that the one looked like the wind might blow his bean-pole frame over any minute, and the other was just as likely to tell a terrible joke and piss some big brute off. After relenting for a few more minutes, she agreed.

***

Raina watched her mom collect all three boys' cell phone numbers and last names. She stood tapping her foot on the porch, eyes boring holes into each boys' eyes until Raina hoped she had the promise she needed that her girls would be safe. She gave a brisk nod of approval and a few words of warning about safety and curfews.

"Where's your car?" Raina questioned Logan.

"All I have is my bike," he replied as they stood outside the house, waiting.

"So how are we getting there?"

"That's where I come in." Jack jingled his keys as he exited the house.

"I'm not getting into that!" Raina exclaimed. When Jack pressed a button on the key remote, she half expected the door to lift like some futuristic care like the DeLorean from the "Back To the Future" movies. But instead, she just heard a click as the door unlocked. He pressed another button and the car roared to life. She chuckled at herself for her silly thought.

"Holy shit!" Coral breathed. "We're riding in that??" She walked around the Dodge Viper and whistled as she lovingly caressed the hot metal hood of the flashy red sport's car.

"Are there enough seats for all of us?" Raina changed tactics.

"Not in this baby," Jack mimicked the loving caress on his car and then pointed to another hot car. "She only has two seats. Maybe if you're nice to me I'll take you for a spin in my Viper sometime." He met Logan's glare, "or maybe I'll give Logan the keys."

"That's better," Logan mumbled.

"Tonight we're taking the Cobra," Jack told her.

"Ooh, I'll take the Cobra," Coral jumped in. "I'm going to have a 'Stang when I'm old enough to drive," she vowed. "I'll join a car club too and kick every guys' ass."

"You wish," Raina muttered.

"By that time, you'll be in college and have nothing to say about it," Coral reminded her.

Raina had to admit, both cars were beautiful, but that didn't make her any less hesitant about riding even in the Mustang Cobra with hot-headed 20-somethings.

"There are still only four seats," Raina pointed out.

"We can squeeze," Jack assured her.

"Unfortunately, squeezing won't produce any more seatbelts." Raina wouldn't be swayed..

"You can ride on my lap," he winked and Raina rolled her eyes.

"Oh I know! You three can sit in the back." Coral pointed to Ryan, Mark and her sister. "And I will lay across your laps. That way if we do see a cop, they won't see me. That'll work, right?"

"Lie." Raina's eyes pleaded with Logan for some help.

"What?" Coral gave her a weird look.

"Lie. You will lie across our laps, not lay," Raina reiterated.

"Okay, grammar police." Coral rolled her eyes.

Logan intervened. "Unfortunately it's the only way we can get to the beach, unless you want to ride my bike." He rubbed Raina's back gently.

"Just this once. But, I want a seatbelt." Raina finally gave in and watched as everyone piled into the flashy car.

She buckled her seatbelt and looked away from her sister who had just crawled on top of the three laps, settling herself for the short ride. The two boys wiggled in their seats and she thought Mark was going to have an asthma attack by the heavy way he was breathing and staring at her sister. She shot him a look and he coughed.

***

They lived literally just down the road from the Seaside Heights Bridge, as it was informally known. In actuality there were two bridges that spanned the Barnegat Bay in Ocean County, New Jersey: The Thomas A. Mathis Bridge, which carried traffic eastbound towards the ocean; and the J. Stanley Tunney Bridge, which carried traffic westbound, away from the ocean and into the town of Toms River. There were small seaside towns that doted the way from Toms River to Seaside Heights.

Seaside Heights was the premiere destination for young adults and youth to gather during the summer months. It stood to reason that this was why MTV chose it as one of their Spring Break programming spots one year, before they bought their own tropical island for such purposes.

This was the very reason that Raina had such a callous attitude towards what the locals called "Bennies". She knew it was a derogatory, stereotypical term, but couldn't help her feelings. The boardwalk and beaches became jam-packed with tourists and beach-goers, and the traffic on Route 37, the highway that lead across the bridge and to the beach, was often at a dead stand-still on the weekends, and the place became a free-for-all. She wanted no part of it, except maybe the boardwalk. She was happy staying on the small beaches along the bay or out on her family's boat.

Locals normally knew enough to wait until after Labor Day when the crowds died down to venture to the beach, especially this particular beach. There was of a course a similar tourist scenario all up and down the Jersey Shore, but it seemed Seaside, or as locals infamously termed it - Sleezeside - was just that much more chaotic of a place. It just wasn't worth the hassle -- unless of course -- you were among the young.

But for Raina, the wide variety of people and personalities presented the perfect people-watching scenario and fuel for her creative muses. So she put up with it. As the summer neared to a close, while she didn't join in the sign-displaying, she secretly cheered inside when more bold locals put up huge signs in their front yards that read "BENNIES GO HOME!"

Raina was surprised and learning fairly quickly that she might have to revise her opinion of Bennies, if they were all as sweet and thoughtful as Logan. She was still trying to gauge him and suspected that he might be the exception to the rule. She might just have to make her own exception for him.

She looked out the window as the world flew by faster than it should have. She could see the bridge looming up ahead and gasped when she was flung against the back of the seat and her sister flew off their laps as Jack put pedal to the metal. She saw the tiny blinking green light on the dash, a radar indicator and scrambler, she suspected.

"Ohmygod," she whispered over and over, "we're going to die." Tears threatened to spill and she began to panic as they sped across the bridge. She watched the speedometer as it climbed from 50 mph, pushed 80 mph, and peaked at 105. She felt the car shake as the engine shuddered. She couldn't believe it! She was trapped in a speeding car. One wrong move and they'd crash against the guard rails and plummet into the water to their deaths. She was too young to die!

And just like that it was over and they were cruising the strip, driving past the clubs, and heading for the boardwalk.

She drew air into her lungs and breathed a great sigh of relief. Jack glanced in the rear-view mirror back at her. She glared at him.

"That was awesome!" Coral shouted.

"Eh, last weekend he got it up to 120 mph. But it was pretty good," Mark commented.

"That was terrifying!" Raina's teeth were still chattering with terror.

"You okay, Raina?" Logan turned around in his seat to look at her. Her face was sheet-white and she was shaking. The rest of the car-full were laughing hysterically and high-fiving each other.

"No. I'm not. Let me out of this beastly machine, now." She'd have to climb over the front seat to get out if someone didn't release the passenger seat and push it forward. As it was, she had to push her sister off of her and climb over Mark's skinny lap. Logan released the seat, got out of the car, and stood waiting for her with his hand extended. Everyone else clamored out after her. Coral raked her hands through her blonde hair and gave her sister a once over. Raina looked like she was going to be sick.

Coral seized the opportunity. "We're going to go check out a club," she told her as she headed towards the boards. She was fully going to take advantage of her sister's weakened state.

"Fine. Sure. Whatever."

"Hey, you feeling okay? You totally just gave me permission to go to a dance club." Coral reached out and felt Raina's head, checking for fever. "You aren't going to pass out this time, are you?"

"Just have to get my balance," she said, leaning on Logan.

Coral nodded and bumped her with her shoulder. "I was just kidding about the club, you know. I have to wait at least another year to go to one. How about we have a meet-up place in say," she held Ryan's wrist looking at his watch, "two hours?"

"Okay. Be careful, all three of you."

"Aye, aye, den-mother," Mark joked.

Coral tugged the boys away and then shouted over her shoulder, "don't forget to feed the beast," and chuckled at the secret joke.

Logan reached into the car to retrieve Raina's purse and beach-bag and gave her a confused look.

"I'll be at Bamboo. See you guys in a couple of hours. Logan, maybe later when we drop the girls off, we can head over to Jenks." Jack locked the car. He looked at Raina's white face. "Sorry, Raina," he mumbled and took off. Bamboo Bar was one of the number one best singles hot spots in New Jersey.

"If you really wanted to go to Point Pleasant with the rest of the crew, why didn't you just go?" Logan asked. Jack and Logan were referring to another shore destination, Point Pleasant Beach, which had the famous Jenkinson's Night Club and Martell's Tiki Bar, probably the best known bar on the Jersey shore.

Jack shrugged, "I knew you guys needed a ride. Plus, the girl I met last weekend is meeting up with me at Captain Hooks for a drink later," he grinned. "Or several drinks."

"A sports bar?" Raina questioned, "seriously?"

"She loves sports. Lucky me!" Jack sounded more excited that the girl was into sports than anything else. She realized that Captain Hooks Bar was a perfect place for the two of them.

"Thanks man," Logan said.

"Hey, I can always hit up Jenks tomorrow if I'm in a dancing mood. Tonight is about drinking and the game." He waved and walked away.

"Hey wait, are you leaving us by ourselves?" she yelled at his back.

"Is that a problem?" Logan was frowning. "Hey, let's go sit on a bench for a few."

Taking her purse from Logan, Raina swung it up over her shoulder and made a bee-line for the first unoccupied bench. They sat down, knees touching, and looked in different directions. Logan's gaze went outward toward sea, while Raina looked down the strip of boardwalk. As she took a deep, relaxing breath, many smells assaulted her senses. Her mouth watered for a huge slice of pizza. There was nothing like Jersey pizza. The smell of funnel cake and zeppoles filtered through the saucy scent.

She stood abruptly, throwing Logan off guard.

"Hey." He stood with her.

"I'm hungry," she stated, walking off in the direction of food.

"What are you hungry for?"

"Pizza from the Saw Mill, home of the "world's largest slice of pizza", frozen custard from Kohr's Brothers, funnel cake; wherever I can get some, a carmel apple and salt water taffy from the Berkley Sweet Shop, in that exact order," she said with a serious look on her face.

"Uh, is that all for you or are you going to share?" Logan laughed, a bit shocked at her demands. She stared at him and then laughed along with him.

"I might be persuaded to share."

"I'm sensing an "if" in there or some other condition. Is that what your sister meant by 'don't forget to feed the beast'?" Logan teased as they walked up to the bar of the Saw Mill and he ordered them each a slice of plain cheese pizza and grabbed two Cokes off the counter. "Want to eat inside or outside?"

"Outside." Raina took the paper plate from him and they walked back to the bench that they had been sitting on. "And yes. I have food issues." They bit into the huge slices simultaneously. Logan's eyes were fixated on her mouth.

"What? Haven't you ever watched a girl eat before?" she quipped. Logan pushed his hair back with his hand.

"Not like that, I haven't. Girls I've dated barely ate or took bird-sized bites. You have a bit of..." He reached out with his thumb and caught the red sauce that was dripping down Raina's chin. "Sauce." She licked her lips.

"This is how a real girl eats pizza," she announced with a flourish as she took a huge bite. Cheese slid off the pizza onto her hand. Before Logan could hand her a napkin, she slurped the cheese back into her mouth with a satisfying smack of her lips. Logan leaned in and tasted the sauce that lingered. This time she didn't back away.

Raina still wasn't sure what this was. Was it just a summer-fling? Was it turning into a rebound relationship? Did it even have any potential with him living an hour and a half away? Hadn't she just broken up with her boyfriend of almost two-years because of distance? Did it matter? Live a little, Raina.

She looked away from Logan and down the boardwalk. She could see Funtown Pier bustling with people. Children were on the kiddie rides and laughter floated on the sea-breeze to her ears. The giant Ferris Wheel rose above everything and took precedence over the Pier. Multi-colored bulbs lit the Ferris Wheel and she knew that people driving across the bridge could see it against the sky. She hadn't been on a Ferris Wheel in a few years and wanted to go on it, now.

"Do you want to go on the Ferris Wheel with me?" Raina questioned.

"Definitely. Then we can do Bumper Cars." Logan gave her a boyish smile and she suddenly realized he had a single dimple. She touched it with her fingertip. "Do I have sauce too?" he questioned her action.

"No, you only have one dimple. I didn't notice that before," she said absentmindedly.

"Let's go." She linked her arm with his.

***

The Ferris Wheel stopped and their car was at the very top. They peeked out over the edge.

"You know, of all the times I've been here, I've never actually been on the Ferris Wheel. God what a spectacular view." Logan slid his hand over to Raina's and held it.

123456...8