Jess was a Bitch Ch. 12

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here
Turbidus
Turbidus
1,093 Followers

He takes the small package back to his room. He tries to open the package but his fingers are trembling too badly. He forces himself to relax. He opens the package and the small box inside. He stops breathing. It's better than he'd allowed himself to hope for. He closes the box and tucks it away under the few remaining clothes in his suitcase.

Taking a few more deep breaths, he shakes himself, as if getting ready to mount the starting block at a swim meet. Deciding he's as calm as he is capable of being, he heads out to find Jess.

He finds her, and the others, beside the pool.

***

"Jon, come join us. Are you hungry?"

He hadn't realized it, not until his father spoke, but he's starving. He's so hungry his stomach hurts.

"Y...," his voice is a croak. He tries to swallow but his mouth is parched. Travis holds out a glass of water. He takes a long drink and hands it back, nodding his thanks. "Famished. What time is it?"

"Almost four in the afternoon, sweetheart," his mom replies, giving him that look of worry that he finds vaguely irritating, most of the time. At the moment, he's tired and hungry and perfectly content to have his mom worry about him.

"Here, Jon, sit down." Jess scoots around the table, making enough room for him to pull a chair out and sit.

His father pushes the bowl of nuts, pretzels and olives toward him. "Here, munch on these until we can get you a menu." He scans the pool area for a server. "You finish your painting?"

Jon nods, popping a handful of nuts into his mouth. He chews for a few seconds before adding, "uh-huh, all done."

"I can't wait to see it," Caitlin offers, hugging herself.

"I left it in your room," Jon tells her, reaching now for an olive.

"We should pay you something."

Jon looks at Travis before popping the olive in his mouth. "No way, dude. It was my pleasure."

Travis shakes his head. "Jon, we talked about this. The whole starving artist motif is so retro. You can't give your work away. It's fucking un-American, man. On second thought, you probably shouldn't sell it, at least not here. You don't have a work visa. We'll figure out something when we get home."

"Are you still leaving the day after tomorrow, honey?"

"No, wait, what, day after tomorrow?"

Gloria nods. "That's when we were originally leaving. You told dad you couldn't stay longer with us. Your ticket is for the day after tomorrow."

"Two weeks? Already?"

Gloria nods.

"How are you going to get your paintings back? Can you roll them up?"

Jon looks at his dad. "I hadn't really thought about it. The paint should be dry enough to roll them."

"Jon?" He turns from his dad to look at Caitlin. She's smiling softly. An image of her naked with his cock in her mouth flashes through his mind. He hopes he's not blushing. "I really like to take some of them to my gallery friend in Chicago. Would that be okay?"

"The one I gave to you is yours. The one of mom and dad is theirs. The others, uh, it's up to Jess."

"I don't mind if you show it to your friend but I'm not interested in selling it," Gloria interjects.

"No, I wouldn't expect you to," Caitlin reassures her. "I wouldn't sell the one of Trav and I either. I want to show my friend what Jon is capable of, see if he would be willing to take a couple pieces, assuming Jon is interested."

It takes Jon a moment to realize they are waiting for him to answer. He shrugs. "I never really thought of selling my stuff. You really think anyone would want to buy it?"

"Yes, Jon. I think a lot of people would want to buy it," Travis interjects. "Or commission you to paint them. Buddy, I think you could make a living painting. Have you ever considered that?"

Jon shakes his head. "I planned to do marketing or graphic design or something like that."

"I'd never tell you not to do that. It's hard to argue with a marketable degree but, personally, I think you could do well with your art. What about art school?" He shoots a quick glance at Gloria and James. "I don't mean to interfere. It's none of my business. Sorry."

"Don't be. I was wondering the same thing," James replies, looking at his son. "Are you sure you want to go to the University? Is that what you want to do or simply something you feel you're expected to do? I'd expect you to work but if you could make ends meet by selling your art while you consider what you want to do, I'm fine with that. Even a state University is an expensive place to hang out if it's not adding anything to your future."

"Are you saying I shouldn't go to college?" Jon asks. His surprise is evident in his voice and the look on his face.

"Not at all," James says, shaking his head. "If that's what you want to do and if you feel it will have value for you, of course, you should go. All I'm saying is if you've decided you want to make your living through your art, you might need a day job for a time, but then if that's what you want to do, it's less clear what going to the University will add. Perhaps an art or design school? A place to explore other media, other techniques? Think about it. That's all I'm saying."

"Is that to get him away from me?"

James turns to look at his daughter. Her face is taut and hectic spots of red are blossoming on her cheeks. "No, Jess, it is not. Frankly, I'm pissed you'd even ask that. I'm simply thinking aloud, about what would be best for Jon, which by extension should also be what's best for you, given the feelings you've expressed."

"Jess, honey, your father is far too straight forward and kind to be that Machiavellian," Gloria says, patting the back of her daughter's hand. "Now, if I'd suggested it. Well, that would be a different story. I, for one and for what it's worth, think Jon should go to college. He needs to know more than just painting. Even if his work begins to sell, he'll still need to know how to handle a business."

Jon is shaking his head. "I don't want to think about this right now. Let's drop it, okay?" Around the table, heads nod in agreement. He pushes his chair away. "Who wants to go swimming? The olives and nuts will hold me until dinner."

"I think I'll just sit here and listen to the wind and birds," Gloria says softly. "And I, shall do the same," James agrees. "Although, I might do so with the assistance of a couple of scotches," he adds.

"You sure you want company?" Travis asks. Jon nods. "Sweetie?" Caitlin answers by standing and holding her hand out to her husband. "Pool or ocean?" she asks. "Ocean," Jess answers. "We can swim in a pool anywhere."

***

"Were you trying to separate them?" Gloria asks after the others or out of earshot.

"No, not exactly. I am starting to wonder if college is the best option for Jon. The fact he wouldn't be at the University with Jess was a fringe benefit."

"You sly, old dog you."

"Apparently, not," James growled. "Given that the idea failed."

"You don't know that," Gloria insisted. "Jon will consider it. He's bright enough to know he can't build every facet of his life around Jess." Gloria smiles at her husband. "Besides, if he does decide to apply to an art school somewhere, she's apt to simply pack up and follow him. She can be quite stubborn you know."

"Oh, trust me, I know."

"You should," Gloria snorts. "She's you with boobs."

"Very funny."

"Not always, trust me. Either one of you can be a pain in the ass and the two of you together? Please."

James swivels in his chair. "All true. Why do you love me?"

"Beats me. Isn't it enough that I do?"

James cocks one eyebrow and nods. It is enough that she does.

***

"What are you studying?"

Jess pushes her wet hair out of her eyes before she answers Caitlin. "Business and/or accounting. I like the certainty of numbers. They behave. They're predictable. Two plus six is always eight."

"Well, not in all accounting companies," Travis chuckles. "In some of them two plus six equals zero if that means no taxes."

"That's not the numbers; that's the people. Numbers are always honest."

"You'll be a what, a sophomore, junior?"

"Senior," Jess tells him. "Last year, then a job, maybe work toward my CPA, if I stick with accounting."

"Look." They turn to Jon. He's holding a starfish in his hand. They watch as it slowly moves across his palm. "Isn't it beautiful? It feels super weird on my hand." He lowers his hand into the water. The starfish detaches and wafts away, drifting toward the sand, looking for nothing more than a place to anchor itself.

***

"You think it's occurred to her that she could manage the money side of things while Jon paints?"

Caitlin has her legs around Travis' waist. His hands rest on her lower back.

"Probably not. I know she loves him but you think she wants to be that involved in every aspect of his life? Would you want to be my account? Or have me serve as your attorney?"

"I don't know. It'd be a formidable team."

"Us or them?"

"Both," Caitlin says softly.

"Spill, babe. I know you've got something brewing in that gorgeous head of yours."

"Not yet. Just thinking."

Travis kisses his wife. "Let me know if I can help, okay?"

"Always, love. Always. You know that."

***

"You're really going to leave in a couple of days?" Jess whispers. She happens to be in exactly the same position as Caitlin, floating with her legs around Jon's waist.

Jon pulls her closer and kisses her. When he releases her, he nods. "Yeah. I want to see if I can paint without you right beside me."

"Will you miss me?"

He frowns and shakes his head at her. "Don't play dumb. You know I will."

Jess nods. "I'll miss you."

"Have you decided what you'll do when you get back?"

Jess doesn't answer. She closes her eyes and lies back in the water, letting it rock her.

***

"I worry that I'm being pushy but do you guys want to go to dinner? I know a place, local, great food, laid back." Caitlin looks around the group that's re-assembled near the pool.

"I'm game," James replies as Gloria nods. Jon looks at Jess. They both shrug. "Sure," Jon answers for the two of them.

"Cool but first, I want to go look at our painting." Caitlin stands and holds out her hand to Travis.

"Now, I'm the one being pushy but would it seem terribly strange if I admit I'd like to see it as well?"

"No, not at all." It's Travis who answers Gloria. "After all you were present at the inception, if you will. Why don't we do this? Let's meet at our place in, say an hour? That'll give us time to get cleaned up. The place Caitlin is thinking of is low key. Shorts and tee shirts will be fine." He starts to turn and then stops. "Could we take a look at the one Jon did of you guys?"

"Of course," Gloria says, rising and stretching. "Our place is on the way. Come on." She turns to Caitlin. "Shall we plan on filling my body with your magic potion when we come over?" Caitlin puts her arm through Gloria's.

"One IV with a margarita chaser coming up."

***

They gaze at the painting of the haunted James and Gloria, not speaking.

"Wow," Caitlin whispers, rubbing a tear out of her eye. "That's almost too intense. Jesus."

The others nod.

"Come on, babe. Let me take you home," Travis whispers, kissing her cheek and leading her away.

"Hang on." She turns to Gloria. "May I take a picture of it with my phone? To send to my gallery friend. I know you don't want to sell it but I want him to get a feel for Jon's work." Gloria looks at James who nods. "Great. Thanks." Caitlin angles the painting to avoid any glare and takes several shots, checking her phone after each one. "Got it. Thanks." She turns to Jon. "Your work is amazing. Just amazing."

"Uh, thanks," Jon mumbles, his face an endearing shade of red.

***

"You're sending it now?"

Caitlin looks up from her phone. "Yeah, why not?"

"Because you almost walked into that light pole, that's why not?"

"You'd never let that happen, so I'm good."

"You're right but you're more than good. You're fantastic." He stops and turns Caitlin to face him. "I love you."

"I know babe and I love you right back. Come on, let's get back so we can hop in the shower together."

She puts her phone away. They clasp hands and hurry down the path.

***

"Mmm, that feels marvelous my love." Gloria is sitting in front of James in the tub. She's leaning back and he's shampooing her hair. His erection is pressed against her back. That feels marvelous but it's the shampooing she refers to. "You could be like that guy on the TV show and work as a shampooer at a salon."

"Yeah, but you're the only one I want to do this for."

"Hmm? What about Caitlin? She's a very attractive young woman."

"She is. I could ask you the same, you know. Every time Travis stands up your eyes follow him. You jerk them away but still."

"I thought I was the soul of subtlety. Damn."

"I doubt anyone other than me notices."

"Baloney, dear. Not much gets past Caitlin, or our daughter either for that matter." She settles back against her husband. "I don't deny Travis is a nice-looking man." She pauses. "Do you wonder about it, having sex with them, knowing that's something they do?"

"We haven't been invited."

"That's not what I asked, James. Don't be coy. If they asked, what would you say?"

"What would you say?"

"I ask you first."

"Yes, but I don't know what the right answer is until you answer."

Gloria throws her elbow back. She doesn't connect with his ribs but she makes him flinch and a substantial amount of water sloshes out of the tub. "Don't be difficult, dear. There's not a right or wrong answer. I want to know how you feel about the idea. I'll admit, I find it intriguing. I'm not sure I'd say, 'by all means, let's hop in the sack', but I must admit I haven't ruled out the idea. That, in itself, surprises me."

"I'd say that sums up what I'm feeling quite nicely," James murmurs. "I find myself, and this is hard for me to admit, thinking more about you with Travis than myself with Caitlin. That's strange, isn't it?"

"The whole thing is strange, darling."

"At the risk of another elbow to the ribs..."

"I didn't connect; don't be melodramatic."

"As I was saying, at the risk of another threatened elbow to the ribs, you seem quite smitten with Caitlin."

"I am," Gloria admits. "She kissed me."

"I saw."

Gloria twists. "You saw? I hope it didn't upset you. She took me by surprise, not that I resisted."

"Did you enjoy it?"

"You know, I did. I've never kissed a woman. Oh sure, the pre-teen sleep over fooling around but never a woman, never a real kiss." She relaxes beneath her husband's fingers. "Did it upset you?"

James pushes his erection against her back. "Does it seem to have?"

***

"Do you think they really like them or are they just being nice?"

Jess glares at her brother. "Don't make me punch you in the face. Of course, they like them. They fucking love them. Don't you?"

After a moment Jon nods. "I do. That's what I've always hoped to do but never managed to get out of my head and onto canvas." He looks at her. "Not until now."

"Jon, that's not me. That's you. We've talked about this. If I helped you get in touch with a part of yourself that was hidden, well, God, that would be fabulous. But you've found that part of yourself. That's not going away. What's found can't be unfound. If you're not careful you might convince yourself that's not true. If you can't find your gift without me standing right beside you, it will be because you're not really looking for it. Not to be a total bitch, but this is on you, not on me." She rises up on her toes and kisses him, hoping to salve any sting her words may have carried.

Jon scoops her up in his arms and carries her giggling into the shower, clothes and all. Wet clothes are difficult to remove. They don't mind.

***

Caitlin, with Travis' arms around her waist, stares at the painting Jon has left in their room. She's very still. She's not sure what to say. Travis is very still as well. "Oh my," he manages after several minutes. "Yeah, exactly," Caitlin whispers.

She recognizes the figures in the painting as her and Travis but at the same time it's not them, or not the 'them' of the mundane world they live in. The images are overtly erotic, sexual, but, to her, in no way pornographic. The eroticism is not the purpose, not the essence, of the painting; the eroticism flows from the essence of the painting, a deep mutual love that, in this particular setting, manifests in the physical enjoyment of one another.

"How much were you thinking of paying Jon for it?" Caitlin whispers, eyes still roving over the painting, nothing but pigment and textures, yet they speak to her soul.

"Not what it's worth, that's for sure, now that I see it."

"If you saw it in a gallery, what would you pay for it?"

"Baby, I don't know. I'm in an unusual position; I have an embarrassingly rich wife. So, I'd pay a lot more than I would if I was living off my salary. Even then, I don't know, 10-15 grand."

Caitlin nods. "I'd pay more, not because I'm rich. That's my dad by the way not me." Travis doesn't call her on this somewhat misleading statement. It's true she won't have total control over her trust for another couple of years but when she does, she'll be worth well above nine figures. Plus, she's adding to it, not depleting it. "I'd pay more because it's a fantastic piece of work," she continues. She turns to her husband. "He could be really big. I mean really, really big and I don't think he understands that. In some ways, he's a babe in the woods. He'll be surrounded by sharks and I'm afraid he'll think they're gold fish."

"Jess won't let a shark get within twenty feet of him," Travis reassures her.

"Yeah? What if she's not in the picture? I'm not sure she's decided to stick it out. I love her, even in this short time, I'm not just saying that. I do love her in a way but I'm not sure she's going to stay with Jon."

"You really think she might walk?"

Caitlin shakes her head and shrugs.

***

Caitlin greets the restaurant hostess in smooth, fluent, Spanish. The hostess, a strikingly beautiful young woman, gives her a warm hug and shows them to their table. The place is crowded. Jess assumes Caitlin had called ahead. Her mother looks around, nodding her approval. "This place looks perfect," Gloria states, completing her visual inspection. "No tourist kitsch. Mostly locals but somehow I don't feel unwelcomed or out of place."

"I'm glad you like it," Caitlin replies. "I hope it's okay but I asked Jorge, the chef, to prepare us a typical home-style family supper."

"I'm sure that will be wonderful," James tells her pulling out a chair for his wife.

Two hours later, his prediction has been well validated. They sit around the table, half smiles of satiety and the half-closed eyes of the overfed on every face. Jorge joins them for coffee. It's clear he knows Caitlin well. His English is colored with just enough of an accent to cause all the women, and at least one of the men, to wonder what it would be like to hear that voice whispering in their ear as they made love. In the grip of an unconscious sense of oneness they push their chairs back and rise in unison. Jorge has a kiss on the cheek for the women and a firm handshake and half hug for the men.

"Caitlin, if I wasn't already impressed with you, I'd be in awe," James tells her as they walk back to the van that Caitlin rustled up from the resort. "That was one of the best meals, best dinners, not just the food but the companionship as well, I've ever had the pleasure of. Absolutely wonderful. Wonderful."

Caitlin blushes so deeply it's almost visible in the dim moonlight.

"Thank you."

"No, thank you, dear." Gloria stops her and kisses her on the cheek.

Turbidus
Turbidus
1,093 Followers