Jessa Ch. 12

Story Info
In which uglier truths are revealed.
9.6k words
4.75
22.8k
15

Part 12 of the 15 part series

Updated 06/08/2023
Created 09/07/2016
Share this Story

Font Size

Default Font Size

Font Spacing

Default Font Spacing

Font Face

Default Font Face

Reading Theme

Default Theme (White)
You need to Log In or Sign Up to have your customization saved in your Literotica profile.
PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here
Chimera44
Chimera44
760 Followers

"Torah, I'm sorry I missed your call," Jessa said.

"You were told to keep your phone with you," he reminded her, and even over the phone she could picture his implacable expression.

"I was taking a bath," she lied. She hated that she was getting so good at it. "I didn't stretch enough before I ran this morning and I cramped up. I was hoping that soaking in a hot bath would help. My legs are still feeling achy."

"I'm surprised you would give up your computer time, even for that." She could hear the skepticism in his voice. He must have seen that she wasn't on her computer. Were he and his buddies ever not watching her?

"Mari came to help me decorate this afternoon, and then Jacq came to pick her up and we chatted for a while. You know how it is. Time gets away from you. Shay was terrified that dinner would be overcooked."

"Have you started your period yet?" he changed the subject abruptly, apparently mollified.

"No, but soon. Tomorrow or the next day. Are you excited?"

"Things will be better this time," he conceded, and she supposed that counted for excitement with him. At the least, she knew he would be pleased if she became pregnant again so soon. And she could hope that he would be his more relaxed, less angry self here in Paris which would mean some very enjoyable sex. Maybe even help her forget the temptation that Arnau represented, that she was so unable to resist. She glanced toward the corner of the living room where they had so recently lain, before she had rushed him out so she could call Torah back.

"I won't run tomorrow," she told him. "I'll let my muscles recover."

"Good," he replied in his taciturn way.

"Torah?" she asked. "Are you safe?"

There was a pause on his end. "Things are... quiet," he finally said. "And in Paris?"

"I met the City Marshall. He was coy, but he finally admitted that he knew who you were and knew you had married."

"It is his nature to be coy," Torah agreed.

"Should I worry about him? When he said he knew you... But then Jacq seemed concerned, I guess about his reputation. But he said he worked with Jacq all the time, so I was confused. I didn't want to be rude, or hurt your relationship with him. I'm not used to these city politics."

"You should politely keep him at arm's length," Torah warned. "He is not an enemy, per se, but he often has an agenda of his own. And a reputation, as Jacq indicated, that is not productive to your position as a Lady from Rhine Region. What is acceptable in the environs of Paris, is not so much in other areas of the country."

"That is very helpful, Torah. Thank you. I think I need to sit Mari down for a long lunch and discuss all this so I know how best to remain polite but distant?" she said with a questioning inflection.

"Yes, that would be a good idea," he agreed.

"Torah, is everything okay? I mean, you don't usually call. Not that I'm complaining," she added.

There was a long silence on the other end, then finally he said, "It is you who concerns me, Jessa."

"I don't understand," she said, hoping to sound innocently confused.

"First I must come to Paris because you are spending every moment on the damn computer. Now, I give you a brief window of time to spend on it, and for the past two nights, you have not been on. It makes me wonder what could be more enticing."

Her breath caught. "I went out to dinner last night. Jacq and Mari were there. And then tonight, my legs were hurting, so I took a bath, but I was just heading in to spend the time I had left tonight before bed. Your... You were right about the socializing. I need to do more but sometimes it doesn't fit into an afternoon schedule. That's okay, isn't it? I mean, to see people for dinner sometimes, or Jacq after he gets off from work? And Arnau told me about a natatorium, you know, for indoor swimming. It is open afternoons and evenings. It would be wonderful to swim in the evening under the stars."

"You know, Jessa, sometimes when you become very talkative, it is because you are trying to hide something."

"I'm just trying to please you, Torah. Be a proper Lord's wife. But there is so much for me to learn. And..."

"And what?" he prompted, tersely.

"And I don't want to lose myself along the way," she said softly. There was a much longer silence this time, until she began to wonder if the call had been dropped. "Torah?"

She heard what might have been a sigh. "I don't want you to lose yourself, either. Why don't you call Gemma? Her number is in your phone. See if any progress has been made for you to work on the pandemic."

"Thank you, Torah. I will!"

"And Jessa?"

"Yes?"

"You should be aware that the Council will undoubtedly perform genetics testing on our children. I will see you in about two weeks. Good bye."

She stared at the phone. He knew. Was he telling her it was okay to see Arnau, as long as they were careful? Or was he telling her he knew and to put an end to it? She was beginning to despair that anybody in the Circles ever said anything in straightforward language. She determined to call Mari tomorrow to set up a time she could pick her brain about everything Circle-related that wasn't to be found on the Councilary Web.

At the moment, though, it was that web that was calling her. She knew it was time to set aside avoidance of things she didn't want to know. It was time to figure out why everybody seemed so obsessed with her. Genetics aside, it was obvious she wasn't the last person on earth capable of having children. Mia and Mari proved that. Nor was she vain enough to think she alone could solve the pandemic, though she desperately wanted to help. And she was no Helen of Troy, though she might stand out in a crowd. So why the hell did it seem like everybody knew her, and had some sort of agenda that involved her? Even Torah had first told her that he picked her out at Summer's End, then confessed that he'd picked her out from paperwork before he had even seen her. If he could lie glibly the first time, why not the second? Too, Arnau had seemed surprised that they had sent Torah. Although he was definitely a fine physical specimen as well as proven fertile, Jessa had observed his cohorts at their wedding, nearly all of whom appeared strong, fit and healthy. That didn't, of course, speak to their fertility, but her research had already indicated that fertility issues were far more common for the women of the Circles then for the men. So why her and why Torah?

On the other hand, she didn't want Torah's tech spy eavesdropping on this particular research. A plan began to hatch in her mind even as she sat down before her computer, fingers poised over the keyboard. She had noted more than a few bistros and cafes offering wi-fi service. And a notepad would seem an innocent enough purchase to Raza, though perhaps not to Torah should he happen to review her spending. She decided to save the more questionable research for her 'social (and less traceable) time' even though she was dying to begin as soon as possible. She sighed and called up her list of URL's related to the pandemic. Except this time, when she traced information about the mutations and new vectors, she focused on the metadata of the sites; first posted dates, last updates, number of visits. Anything that would give her an indication of just how extensive the knowledge of the potential tertiary pandemic might be. When her computer pinged to warn her she'd reached the end of her allotted time for the night, her whole theory of Torah's motives had been turned upside down yet again. When he had told her about a tertiary pandemic, he had apparently been passing on what - to all appearances - was top-secret information. Again, she was frustrated by the lack of connection to internet sites in other countries, but in Europe it appeared there were very, very few people who knew that yet another wave of the pandemic was poised to flow over the land. Why had he trusted her with that information? She realized that she should be cautious when she reached out to Gemma about research.

****

The next afternoon, as Jessa started out with Raza in tow, she headed for a computer store she'd seen. Once there, she picked out a tablet and a number of other items she could use at home and might camouflage the tablet somewhat, if Torah cared to look. After a couple more small purchases along the way, she headed for a bistro that she knew had wi-fi and charging stations. In short order, her new notebook was plugged in and she was rapidly setting it up with fake accounts. She had learned a number of tricks through the Councilary web to obfuscate the tablet's owner and the accounts' origins. She could do even more later, but as soon as she had it functional for accessing both public and secret webs, she dove into her research with the limited time left. Her fingers were flying fast and her remarkable memory cataloging everything without trying to make sense of it just now, squeezing in as much as she could find out before it would be time to head home.

She found information about Torah as a Council Agent, including confirmation of the fact that he was the leader of his team. She had expected as much, though he had never said so. She found scattered reports from both early program work and the training program he had entered at the tender age of twelve. He had apparently excelled at pretty much everything. She also discovered that a good chunk of his personal wealth came from a 'signing bonus' when he agreed to enter training as a Council Agent. Much of the rest was apparently inherited. Torah was a Tenth Lord from a well-respected and established family. She had expected that he had a scientist in his third generation back. It turned out there were two; microbiologists, married while still in their studies at university.

Information about herself, though, was a thin thread. By the time she had to quit, she had found less on the Councilary Web than was readily available on the internet, which was very little and had more to do with her athletic conquests than anything that would lead one to believe she was in any way special. She was frustrated, but hardly at a dead end. She had only brushed the surface of what she knew was available through the dark and Councilary Web. She tucked the notebook into her bag before she called Raza to join her for the homeward journey. Still, Raza insisted on gathering the packaging from the notepad - just in case - before following Jessa back to the apartment.

Once back at home, Jessa placed a call to Gemma, and when it went to voice mail, she tried to leave a message that sounded more curious and eager to help than demanding as to why she hadn't heard anything. She knew there wasn't much Gemma could do to pressure the powers that be and given that she was beginning to feel that there was more than just passing interest in her own existence, she had no idea if that interest had to do with anything other than procreation. Once that was done, she called Mari and arranged to have lunch with her in a couple of days.

As soon as dinner had been cleared and Raza and Shay were back in their own apartment, Jessa went to the door and threw the deadbolt, just in case Arnau had any ideas about showing up. She may not be able to resist him when he kissed her, but she could resist him as long as he was on the other side of the door. As an extra precaution, she retreated to her office and closed that door too. She stared at her computer. She wanted to pursue her darker searches, wanted to rebuild her search spider, but Torah had confirmed beyond doubt that she was being watched, and closely. She would go back to the pandemic inquiry. He would expect that, if she was trying to reach Gemma. Maybe even wanted that from her. Could that be why he had told her about the tertiary pandemic? Knowing that she would follow her insatiable curiosity wherever it led?

It took the better part of the evening to find even a few sites dealing with the most recent mutations and vector research. There was definitely something about Italy, but Torah had already told her that. She had to wonder if it also had something to do with that mysterious 'city' in the mountains where no city existed, at least according to the old maps. She hadn't learned too much more, save some technical details, which wouldn't be too hard to learn more about, at least in the generic sense, as she worked on her microbiology in the morning, so she put off exploring that and spent most of her time trying to find more sites, guessing at URLs and naming conventions that the most promising scientists seemed inclined to use. While it was not unusual that the more recent the site, the fewer the visitors, it seemed even more evident that only a handful of people were actively researching the latest, scariest mutations. How was that possible? Had they learned nothing from the original pandemic? She was no fan of panic, but the utter lack of concern shook her. She found herself staring at her phone several times, willing it to ring, willing Gemma to call and possibly shed some light for her. On the other hand, did Gemma even know? Had all the precautions taken at the hospital back then been to guard against the secondary pandemic, rather than the tertiary as Torah had led her to believe; had seemed to believe himself? Jessa wanted to stomp her foot and demand answers from someone, but she was beginning to realize there may be very few people indeed who had any answers. And she was even beginning to wonder how Torah knew. He was not a scientist and he was not on the council. How did he come by knowledge of a Tertiary pandemic?

****

The next day, Jessa again decided to forego running, mainly in the hopes that Torah would accept swimming in the afternoons as socializing. She had decided to check out the natatorium that Arnau had spoken of. While swimming laps might not actually be socializing to most people's views, there would at least be other swimmers around her, which should count for something. Needless to say, Shay and Raza thought she had lost her mind. A Lady! In a swimsuit! In the middle of the day! But Torah hadn't given her a resounding 'NO' and Arnau would not have suggested it, had it been scandalous by Parisienne standards, so she was determined to at least check it out and see whether a pool could stand in for her beloved lake.

Raza was so upset by the whole concept that she opted to drive Jessa to the pool and pick her up, but not wait for her there. That was fine with Jessa. She had to dig deep to find the swimsuit that she had purchased what seemed like ages ago in Düsseldorf. Again, Torah had been there and had willing paid for the suit. Obviously, that constituted approval, to Jessa's mind. She found she was actually excited at the opportunity, until she arrived at the natatorium and realized that the huge pool was full of people, many children. Swimming did seem to be a more common practice in Paris, or playing in the water, to be more exact. She eventually made her way to the far side of the pool, where lanes had been roped off for lap swimming. Her inquiries received more than a few puzzled stares and she came to realize that women actually swimming more than a few strokes was apparently unusual, but no one tried to stop her as she staked out a lane and dove into the overly warm water. That part was going to take some getting used to, but once she was in the water and stroking toward the far end of the pool, alone, relatively speaking, with her thoughts, she was in her version of heaven. The sun had even decided to shine down on her through the glass of the arched ceiling.

Jessa ignored the men in the lanes about her, avoiding the temptation to race or otherwise display her prowess. The men for their part, left her to her own lane, even when the lap section of the pool became more popular as the afternoon wore on and many of the lanes were being shared. The pool was large enough, and the lanes long enough that sharing did not constitute much of an inconvenience. Jessa was aware of being watched, and even whispered about from the sides of the pool as she swam tirelessly for over two hours, but it wasn't until she finally, reluctantly slowed to a stop knowing that Raza would be back soon for her, that she realized one of the men in the lane next to her was Arnau. She was holding the ledge of the deck, catching her breath, having done the last lap full out, when she glanced over and saw him treading water at the side of the pool, watching her with mirth etched on his face.

Jessa rolled her eyes before pulling herself gracefully up onto the deck. "Seriously," she said. "I thought you didn't come here."

He looked up at her. "I realized after telling you about it that I had been remiss in not experiencing the benefits myself. In my understanding, the water is infused with rejuvenating spa water. Very healthy, apart from the exercise potential."

"So you know how to swim?"

"Oh, yes, but I've always found that watching other swimmers increases the enjoyment. Particularly, athletic, skilled swimmers of the female persuasion." Jessa rolled her eyes again as he climbed from the water. She cocked her eyebrow as she dried off.

"Don't you have city duties to attend to this time of day?"

"I think of my job as a twenty-four hour one, so I take my downtime when I can."

"I see. Well, it was pleasant running in to you again," she said, turning toward the showers and dressing rooms. When he snatched up his towel and followed, she scowled. "Arnau..."

"What? It seemed a good time to return to my duties."

"Your duties do not include me. I have enough people watching me as it is," she said softly.

"And many more, now, with such a proud display of... Athleticism," he remarked with a broad smile as he continued to follow her.

"Arnau, I told you. I can't do this, I won't do this."

"And was Torah difficult when you called him back that evening?"

"Difficult enough. All of this is too difficult for me. Please. Find some other conquest," she whispered, looking furtively around to see who might be listening.

"Ah, but you are not to be conquered, my Jessa. You are to be savored like a fine wine. It is Torah who seeks to conquer you, bind you with the tethers of his will. Yes?" He spoke clearly, with no concern as to who may be listening.

She stared at him in anger. "It is the Council who binds me. You would do well to remember that," she hissed. She turned on her bare heel and strode away from him. He watched her go, but his smile didn't fade. And his eyes may have been focused on a certain, particularly enticing part of her anatomy. As if suddenly aware of his preoccupation, she took her towel and wrapped it about her waist as she neared the dressing rooms.

The 'women's' room was full of both women and children, and Jessa found herself somewhat annoyed by their cheerful exuberance. She tried to shake off the unwelcome encounter with Arnau and imagine herself visiting the natatorium with her own children, perhaps even twins, sporting auburn hair like hers and the wiry lean strength of Torah. She would see to it that they swam laps, she told herself sternly, not play like toddlers at a beach. Like her father had taught her. Like Torah had undoubtedly endured in his training. She paused in her thoughts and looked around again at the frisky children. Well, perhaps some laps and some play, she smiled ruefully and went to find her clothes and dress. She didn't want to be late meeting Raza, and she had the rest of the afternoon all plotted out for her untraceable search time on the notepad secreted in the bottom of her gym bag. Not to mention a sweet little out of the way wine shop with wi-fi and outside seating.

A half hour later, Jessa was seated under an awning, despite a light drizzle that had moved in. Raza had scolded her all the way there about her still damp hair, but she hadn't thought to bring anything to pin it up with and now it was curling randomly as it dried. Jessa didn't bother to tell Raza that was just the way that Torah liked it, and it didn't occur to her that other men might find her long, free-form locks tantalizing, too. All Jessa cared was that it was simple and took no time away from her mini-computer work at all. Her fingers were flying over the keyboard as she created more 'secret' accounts with back-door cash flows, untraceable emails and a couple of her own dark websites to add legitimacy for her secret identities.

Chimera44
Chimera44
760 Followers