Johnny Comes Marching Home

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here
Web_Spinner
Web_Spinner
2,973 Followers

"What? We've never slept together," Susan protested before Mandy could speak up. "I think you're a nice guy and all but the only time we've even gone out was to Mandy's party. I'm not a slut."

"I'm sorry. I wasn't trying to imply you were. It's just I think Mandy might have had the wrong impression about our friendship. Between the two of you she's the only one I've taken baths with naked." Mandy's eyes grew wide in astonishment.

"What the hell are you talking about. I've never been naked with you, in the bath or otherwise," she spluttered. I laughed hard at the mortified look on her face.

"Actually Susan it's true. Mandy just doesn't remember. Actually, neither do I. You see I was born a month before Mandy and our moms were neighbors and best friends. It was my mother who told me that when we were little toddlers our mothers would often put us in the tub at the same time."

Mandy and Susan both cracked up laughing. The ice was broken and the conversation flowed freely now. Susan asked a lot of questions about Mandy and I growing up together. By the time the two ladies left my apartment they were at ease with each other.

Johnny and Mandy continued to spend time together three or four days a week. Just before the Thanksgiving holidays Johnny received a call from his parents. They told him he wouldn't have to drive home for the holidays as they were coming up and would be staying with the McKuens and they would all celebrate the day with them. That was wonderful news.

As his parents wouldn't be arriving until late Wednesday evening he wouldn't see them until Thanksgiving morning. Since the McKuens lived on the north side of town Johnny was going to pick up Mandy on the way. They were at her parents house by nine in the morning so Mandy could help their two mothers prepare all the food.

It was a tradition with their families as with many American families that while the women prepared the meal the male members would watch football. It was near the end of the half of the first game and the Cowboys had the ball in the red zone when Johnny wanted a refill on his iced tea. He headed for the kitchen and just outside the door he heard the roar of the crowd on the TV. He stopped and turned around to see what was happening. From where he was standing he couldn't see the women in the kitchen but could hear them talking.

"Mandy, I don't mean to pry, but it's been awhile now. Have you thought about dating?" he heard Diane ask. This caused his ears perk up

"Actually, I have," Mandy said.

"Do you have anyone in mind," her mother probed.

"Well, there is this one guy I know. He's really nice and he hasn't asked me out on an official date but I'm hoping he will." When Johnny heard those words his heart crumbled and his stomach heaved. He rushed past his father and Frank into the bathroom. He stood over the toilet fighting the waves of nausea that tore at his midsection. Through the sheer effort of will he managed not to lose his breakfast.

"Johnny, are you okay," he heard his dad call through the door.

"Uh, yeah dad. I'm fine. That last glass of tea kind of hit me fast," he answered. Johnny got himself back under control and walked back into the living room and took his seat on the couch. He looked straight ahead and locked his eyes on the TV. Probably twenty minutes later his father punched him in the arm.

"Was that a play or what?" his father said excitedly.

"Yeah," Johnny said in agreement though he had no idea what he was agreeing with. Even though he had been staring at the TV, he hadn't seen a single play. Just then Diane walked into the room.

"Come on you old farts. Lunch is ready," she said. "And you too, Johnny." Frank and his dad chuckled but her attempt at humor went right over Johnny's head. He was too numb to think. He just followed everyone into the dining room and went to sit in the first chair he saw. Diane grabbed his arm and pulled him down a couple of chairs.

"You sit here Johnny." He barely noticed that the seating was one male then one female. He was between his mother and Mandy.

Another Thanksgiving tradition they had is that each person would give thanks for something. Mandy's father who sitting on her other side began and it went around the table. Johnny was next to last following his mother. He was at a loss for words when it was his turn. He paused.

"Thank you lord for bringing our families together." He couldn't think of anything else.

Mandy was last. "Thank you lord for bringing home those that we love from their perils in distant lands." Johnny's parents and hers gave a heartfelt "Amen."

Dishes and platters were then passed around. Johnny took each one as it came his way and put a little bit on his plate oblivious to what it was. Everyone but him was soon merrily chatting away as they ate. He pushed his food around and occasionally picked something up on his fork and put it in his mouth. He finally realized that the room had gone quiet and everyone was staring at him. His mother reached over and put her hand on his arm.

"Honey, are you okay?" she asked with motherly concern. This seemed to snap Johnny back to reality.

"Uh, yeah mom. Sorry everyone. I guess I was just thinking about, well, just some things. Really I'm fine." He made a big show of shoveling food into his mouth. Slowly everyone started talking and eating again. Johnny even did his best to join in.

After lunch everyone pitched in to help clean up. That tended to make it a little tight for space in the kitchen. When he had fumbled and dropped the third piece of silverware Diane patted his cheek and told him to go sit in the living room. Glad for the respite he took her advice. He had been sitting alone for some ten minutes when Mandy came in and grabbed his hand and pulled him through the kitchen out into the back yard.

"Okay Johnny. What the hell is going on. And don't you dare lie to me. I've known you all your life and something's wrong."

Johnny stared at Mandy trying to think of what he should say. Finally his shoulders sagged. "I've just been thinking that we spend a lot of time together and maybe it's time I step back so, well, what I mean to say is it's time for you to find someone. You know someone special."

Mandy's eyes filled with tears and began to run down her cheeks. "Do you want me to go away? Don't you care about me?" The man who had stood his ground in battle and never flinched felt his heart being torn to shreds. The tears of his breaking heart streamed down his face.

"Dammit Mandy, of course I care. I love you with all my heart. I just want you to be happy."

Johnny wasn't prepare for what happened next. He suddenly found himself laying on his back on the lawn. Mandy was on top of him kissing him as if her very life depended upon it. It took him several seconds to realize that the love of his life was kissing him. His arms wrapped around her and he shook as he pulled her tight and began to return her kiss with the same passion. Their tongues intertwined in a union of love. Neither would ever recall how long they lay there confirming the love that had been there for their entire lives. Finally they broke apart, gasping for air.

From some distant region they heard the words spoken by Diane. "It's about damn time."

As one they looked over at their parents standing on the porch. The faces of all four were bearing the smiles of approval. Both mothers had tears streaming down their faces as they hooked their arms into their husbands and led them back into the house to leave the young lovers their privacy.

We too shall leave them their privacy. But rest assured, their love is true and strong and will guide them through their lives.

Web_Spinner
Web_Spinner
2,973 Followers