Jon Starting Over Ch. 02

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

"It's like looking through an old photo album and remembering the good times."

"Yes, exactly." Jasper smiled down at Jon. "My mother thinks it's morbid to leave the room the way it is but I wouldn't change it for anything, just as I'm sure you're not going to get rid of this car."

"No, she's a part of me."

Jasper was silent for a moment before asking quietly, "Would you mind giving me a ride home?" He looked longingly at the car as he'd seen many men do over the years.

"Don't you have your own car here?"

"I do, but it can stay over night. Classic cars such as this little beauty..." he stroked the bonnet "...don't come along everyday."

"So you want me to dive you home just so you can ride in her? How will you get to work in the morning?"

"I don't live far, I can walk."

"What if it's raining?"

"Then I'll use an umbrella."

Jon smiled, liking his logical answer. "Are you sure?"

"Of course. I am a man who knows his own mind... Most of the time." He added with a grin.

"All right, then" Jonathan shifted his brief case to his other hand and pulled the keys out of his pocket. He contemplated the decision for a second before holding them out to Jasper. "As its not far to your place, would you like to drive her?"

Jasper's eyes almost popped out of his head and Jon couldn't help but laugh. "Are you serious?"

"Of course I am. I am a man who knows his own mind" He stated with a a laugh and an ironic tilt to his head.

"You'd let a complete stranger drive your very special car?"

"First of all," Jon said as he unlocked the driver's side, then opened the back door and put his briefcase in, "you're not a complete stranger, Jasper. Second, we may be new colleagues but you've known Sarah for years, as have I, and I'm sure we both know that Sarah is very careful about who she gives her loyalty to. And, third, I met your daughters and a speed-freak lunatic wouldn't possibly be able to raise two sweethearts, so I think I'm safe."

"Any other reasons?" Jasper was teasing, he could tell by the slight twitch of his lips. It was interesting how he'd picked up on that so quickly but, then again, Edwards had teased him quite few times today.

"Yes." Jon held the keys out. "Because I can tell you really want to."

Jasper nodded and this time took the keys from him, holding them as though they were precious jewels. Jonathan headed around to the passenger side and watched as Jasper took off his coat and placed it carefully on the seat next to his briefcase, before sliding smoothly behind the wheel. He leaned across and opened the passenger door, then put they keys in the ignition and placed his hands on the leather steering wheel.

Jon was very pleased when Jasper didn't start the car straight away but instead seemed to be taking his time, looking around, checking out where the lights were, the wipers, reading the dials. Jasper's hands caressed the wheel in the same way Art's had done and Jon smiled at that. Jonathan loved this car, there was no doubt about that, and it wasn't only for sentimental reasons, but he had to laugh at the way some men were hypnotised by it.

"She's like a grand old lady, perfect in every minor detail. What's her name?"

"What makes you think she has a name?" Jon was instantly amused.

"Come on, tell me her name."

""Why do folks name their cars? I never understood that."

"What's her name?" Jasper reiterated instantly. "I know she has one because if your Art loved her as much as I think he did, he would have named her."

Jonathan rolled his eyes. "Miss Chief"

"Mischief?"

"No. Miss Chief." He said the two words slowly. "But she can be a bit mischievous at times."

Jasper wriggled his fingers as he reached for the ignition and sighed as the car purred to life. "Glorious" he said in an awed tone.

"Do you two want to be alone?" Jonathan laughed and clipped up his seat belt. He hadn't been a passenger in this car for a very long time and it felt kind of nice to be driven around in it once more. He settled more comfortably into the leather seat, ready to enjoy being chauffeured.

Jasper drove as carefully as Jon had expected him to and within a few minutes he was pulling up outside a large two-storey house. "She's perfect, just perfect."

"I'm glad you think so," Jonathan undid his seatbelt and pointed to the house. "This is where you live?"

"It is."

"You're lucky to be so close to the hospital. I've been looking for a place for a while with no luck."

"Can't find anywhere close?" Jasper switched off the engine but kept his hands on the wheel, not quite ready to part with the sensation of such a classic car.

"No, which is why I'm still at Sarah's. If you know of any decent sized apartments in the area, would you mind letting me know?"

"The house two doors down is for sale," Jasper remarked pointing.

Jonathan wrinkled his nose and shook his head. "I'm not interested in a house."

"It's only two bedroomed, more like a cottage really, and, besides and apartment complex would mean you'd have to park Miss Chief in a shared garage or, worse, on the street. The house down the road has a very nice, very large garage. Perfect for this regal beauty." Jasper paused for a moment, unsure whether he was doing the right thing or not. "I know the owner. Want me to get him to call you?"

"Well..." It was all a bit sudden but he did have a point. "I was looking for an apartment with a private garage."

"You won't find one around here. Not close to the hospital. Check out the house," he pushed again. "Just go for a look around. See if you like it." He shrugged. "I'll even come with you, if you want."

"You'd do that?" Jon was surprised by the sweet gesture and it made him realise that Jasper Edwards was indeed someone he might be able to trust. Might.

"It's the least I can do after you let me drive Miss Chief."

"Hmmm. Maybe I should remember that. Whenever I need Jasper to do something, I'll just let him drive my car."

"I'm an easy sell," he replied with a chuckle and reluctantly climbed out of the car. Jon followed suit and walked around to the driver's side. "Thanks, Jonathan. She really is an amazing drive."

"My pleasure." And he realised it was. It had been good to share his love of the car with someone who really appreciated it. They stood there for a few moments, looking at each other, before Jasper seemed to realise he should move. He brushed past Jon and collected his coat and briefcase, Jon shivered.

Jasper noticed "Its cold, I should let you go...Ugh, I guess I'll see you tomorrow"

"I guess you will" Jon replied.

"The second day is always better than the first," Edwards called as he walked toward his front door.

"I'll look forward to it, then"

Jasper nodded slowly, heading in to the shadows cast by the eves. "So will I."

12