Jonah and the Fairy Ch. 03

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here
markelly
markelly
2,579 Followers

"I have learned a great deal from my sister and you, Keeper, and many times I have changed the debt I wish from you."

Again she paused, only this time I looked at her. Shunda smiled, and now I was starting to wonder if I should be happy about that or very afraid. Knowing what I had to do and doing it are not always as easy as they seem. When Shunda had finally told me the details of the debt my first instinct was to scream, 'that will never happen.' But I owed a debt, and as the Keeper I was even more obliged to honor it than anyone.

As the days went by the feeling that perhaps I could talk Shunda out of this became more hopeless, and I was forced to agree. Now it was time to see the only person on this mountain that could make all this possible.

*******

I asked Marise to walk with me. She agreed and her Bodyguards started to take up their positions before I asked Marise if our walk could be between the Queen and the Keeper. Both Bodyguards faltered and looked towards Marise who nodded and took my arm just like she did so long ago. We walked for some time, both lost in our own thoughts. Marise could read my mind but she simply chose not to.

"As the Keeper I have something to ask. This request is between us and only one other knows of it. Please, Marise, let me tell you rather than you finding it in my head."

Marise paused and smiled. She looked back and could see her Bodyguards following at a distance, still not sure what to do. The Keeper was to be trusted, as generations of us have shown, but their training to protect their Queen puts them at odds with seeing her place so much distance between them and her. She sat on a rock and pointed to the mountain floor. This was her domain so I thought it best to sit when she sat.

"This bothers you greatly, Keeper. Ask and if it is within my power I will agree."

"I know what my debt to Shunda is and I will honor it, but it needs your blessing and, when the time comes, your help."

Marise just sat and waited. She gave nothing away.

"When my life cycle comes to an end, Shunda wishes to follow me."

Even Marise was taken by surprise, and for such a long time simply sat and looked at me.

"I will honor both your requests, but only because I can see in your eyes, Keeper, that you have fought hard to come to terms with what Hunter has asked of you. I also need to talk to Hunter on this."

A smile came to her lips and for a moment I thought her blue aura seemed to get slightly lighter on color. I had been around her long enough to know that was a good sign.

"We have known each other for such a short time, Keeper, yet it seems that each day our great Mother and the mountain bring new challenges to you. So far I have been impressed with how you have dealt with those challenges."

Marise looked toward one of the bodyguards and she nodded her head and left. Neither of us spoke again. We simply waited. Shunda shimmered to the side of me and knelt, placing her bow on the ground as quickly as she could.

"Hunter, the Keeper has told me of the debt he is to pay. Keeper is willing to pay this debt, yet you have chosen not to tell me why. Explain."

"My Queen, when my mate died I was lost. Seeking revenge simply disturbed the harmony of the mountain and made the great Mother and you angry. I have found peace now and the Keeper and his mate have accepted me. I cannot continue through all of my cycles without them."

Marise paused for a moment to think and then said.

"Yet if the debt is paid then your sister will be alone."

For the first time Shunda looked directly at her Queen.

"My sister has always been stronger than me. She will have her child. Please, my Queen, grant this debt. When the Keeper's cycle has ended let me follow him, protect and care for him until my sister can join us and once again become one with each other."

For a long time Marise simply sat, her mind elsewhere. Even when she stood and paced we waited. Finally she sat and allowed Shunda to sit rather than kneel.

"The debt is a debt. I cannot change that since you, Keeper, have agreed to it. I am merely a means to an end. I will agree and allow this. Once your cycle has ended, Keeper, Shunda will return to fairy form where her life cycle will cease, and she will be placed in the coffin when you are buried."

Her brow creased as she thought something through, sighed, and turn towards me saying,

"You understand keeper, once you cease and the debt is invoked. You will not be buried amongst the rest of the Jonahs in town. The risk that Hunter is discovered is too great. The mountain will be your burial ground."

"A debt has to be honored, Marise, and it will also mean I will be amongst friends."

She shook her head.

"I believe you misunderstood me. Your grave will be on the mountain, but there will be no headstone. No human will ever find your grave, and if by chance they ever did the rest of the Hunters will exact retribution and I will not interfere."

The fact I wouldn't be buried in town surprised me simply because I had never taken it into consideration. Remembering how Dad was furious that his brother never came home, and was buried before he even got a chance to say goodbye, left me feeling that I would have to find another way for Dad to come to terms with me not being buried in town. I would have to decide how later.

Marise leaned forward so her face was less than a couple of feet from Shunda. This was going to be personal, and for now I was ignored.

"You have finally found peace both here and within yourself, Hunter. I agree to this but with one reservation: your sister has to know and agree."

For such a long time Shunda sat, a far away look in her eyes. Eventually she nodded her head and said, "My Queen is wise. I will talk to my sister and beg her to agree."

Marise nodded and left. Both of us stood and walked for a while, neither of us sharing our thoughts. As the cabin loomed ever closer the look of uncertainty etched itself deeper onto her face. Holding her hand as we climbed the steps and walked into the cabin gave Shunda some relief. I just wondered if it would be enough.

*******

The sun had started its slow decent toward dusk. Jonah needed to hurry, getting caught on this part of the mountain at night was never a good idea

Too many bad stories and rumors of unexplained things from the gossips in town, made him hurry his steps. Caution also made him slow down again. The terrain around here and the weight of his pack was making him tired, and that was dangerous.

This was the part of the mountain he wasn't looking forward to, yet rain had washed out the other track a week ago, and he had no choice. He had to go through this section of the forest to make it back to the cabin before nightfall. Jonah's back was soaked with the effort, and the temptation to keep his head down as he traveled down this section of the path was all too tempting. Cold enveloped him. Even the birds refused to come here, and on the few times he had passed this area he had never seen any game here either.

Jonah stopped so suddenly his own pack almost tilted him forward, the sight before him was so unexpected that he actually thought he was seeing things. A woman was sitting on a fallen tree looking towards the edge of one of the small clearings within the forest. She seemed so intent on looking at the clearing he almost didn't hear her talking.

"I loved you both and I miss you all the time. No one can replace you and I couldn't even think to look. I'm just thankful that my duties and our daughter both keep me busy."

Taking half steps, Jonah approached the woman as she still spoke to herself. The sound of the dry twig he stood on and broke made the woman turn around. Her startled look told him that she hadn't heard him approach.

"I'm sorry ma'am but this mountain is a conservation site and private property. I'm going to have to ask you to leave with me."

Watching for any reaction, Jonah simply stood his ground. The woman moved off of the tree and walked toward him. As tired as he was Jonah could still feel his loins stir as the red headed woman walked past the tree. Her hips seemed to sway a little.

"I know Jonah. I was just leaving."

It was clear to him that she seemed to wince, when she called him by his name. Ok, so it was Jonah. What was the big deal about his name. Come to think about it, how did she know his name? He suddenly stopped and looked around. The red headed woman was no where to be seen. Dropping his pack on the edge of the path he wandered to the edge of the clearing and looked around, holding his breath so he could listen in the hope of figuring out where she went.

"This whole damned mountain is just plain weird."

Hoisting his pack back on Jonah set his pace again. Searching for the red head had set him back. The sun would be almost down when he got back to the cabin. With the bottom of the path in mind he set off again.

The hunter shimmered into view twenty paces behind Jonah, her bow at full stretch and aimed at the man's neck, 'an easy target for a hunter and a quick kill' she thought. Robin shimmered next to the hunter.

"Ease your bow, my Daughter. That is the new Keeper. You know our Queen's wishes. We protect your father and our sister from all but the Keeper."

markelly
markelly
2,579 Followers