Julie Ch. 02

Story Info
Julie moves out on her own again.
1.3k words
4.34
13k
1
0
Story does not have any tags

Part 2 of the 10 part series

Updated 10/05/2022
Created 04/16/2006
Share this Story

Font Size

Default Font Size

Font Spacing

Default Font Spacing

Font Face

Default Font Face

Reading Theme

Default Theme (White)
You need to Log In or Sign Up to have your customization saved in your Literotica profile.
PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

Despite her mother's bluff, Julie had been thinking of getting her own apartment again. She'd left home when she turned eighteen for college and had grown used to the independence a place of her own could provide. Although she followed Michael as he went to college and after when he found work, she had always had her own apartment (moving in was always referred to in the vague-not-too-distant future over the last four years). Within a week of her first solo drinking binge in years, she had lined up a new place, local to her family but far enough away for comfort. As she never unpacked her belongings from her car, moving took no time at all. Unluckily, the new apartment did not come furnished and the complex was rather dingy and populated.

Julie dipped into her savings and hit most of the local secondhand stores in the area before she procured the necessary chairs, tables, and of course her bed. A day or two later, the place was adequately set up with a large majority of her bank account intact.

About two weeks later she even had a job. She had become interested in many things in college and could not really find a specific job listing which fit properly – so she chose the job she knew the best, a waitress.

The little diner was a remnant of the 50s when a tirade of little silver restaurants first littered all over the country. Margie's Diner had survived somehow, a favorite of the community. Julie had been interviewed under five minutes when Franky gave her a job. The 50 year-old had a good judgment where people were concerned and she took to Julie immediately.

Things were going well for Julie; she spent her time either working tirelessly at Margie's or sleeping. The constant activity and exhaustion offered the sanctuary idleness at her family's home could not hope to supply.

At night darkness came and swept her away.

***

"What do you need?"

Apparently my penitent face isn't cutting it anymore, thought Matthew. It was now four months since his birthday and he had only managed a brief e-mail to his sister saying he would stop by soon. I guess a month and a half is a little too much notice for a visit.

"I don't need anything. I'm supposed to take you out, aren't I? Let it never be said that Matthew Barton forsakes his promises." A jaunty tip of his Sox cap and smile later, he looked at the gradually softening glare of his younger sibling.

Julie sighed. "You never do anything that is a uni-task. Promise or not, what do you want?" Matthew always asked for help when he needed it and it was usually his sister that he asked.

"Can I come in first? It's colder than a witch's tit out here."

January in New England was never a mild time, especially at the beginning; either you were freezing or too cold to know you were frozen. The snow outside had accumulated three weeks ago and was in no mood to depart any time soon. Mercifully, Julie opened the main door widely to her complex and allowed Matthew in. He then followed her to her flat a little ways up the corridor. The heating inside was doing little to compensate for the chilly winds outside but it was warm enough for Julie – she even could wear a t-shirt and shorts comfortably while Matthew still found a shiver creeping up his spine every few minutes.

After closing her door and throwing the lock, Julie went into the kitchen and grabbed two glasses of water. As she gave one to her brother and settled to her couch she reiterated, "So, what do you need?"

"Well, I was wondering if you're working tonight. And if you're in the mood for something a little stronger than water." Thankfully it is warmer in here with the door closed, he thought. "It is the new year, oh sister o' mine. I missed you at Christmas, too."

"How sweet, you haven't answered my question and have managed to ask two of your own. Trade you: two answers to your questions for the one answer to mine." She smirked as Matthew shifted his stance, sipping at his water.

"Alright -- you first."

Julie rolled her eyes, half amused. "Yes and yes. And my shift lasts until six AM, so I doubt we could go out after. Now you."

Matthew took a deep breath in get his confidence going. If he were going to convince her, he would need to be the picture of absolute certainty. "I was wondering if you would like to help me out with something for work." Julie sat rather aghast, and he used her silence to his advantage. "Hopefully you've been keeping up on your drawing, as I'm sure you have been. I want to start up something new and fresh for a series. And that would require a new and fresh style from an artist such as yourself. I'm not sure what the pay exactly is since I haven't talked my boss into the idea completely yet. But as you know, I can be tenacious to get what I want."

"Hold up there, Matt," Julie shakily stood up. "What makes you think that I would or could do this?"

Sensing her resistance, Matthew tried to save his pitch by taking smaller steps. "I'm not saying you would have to start tomorrow and draw the entire comic by next week. I was thinking that you could help with the conceptual design. Plus I thought you might like the work, or even accept it as my Christmas present."

"I'm no artist."

"That's just because you haven't tried. I have faith in you and have saved away for you one of the most brilliant ideas I've ever gotten for a graphic novel."

Julie's face bore no signs of acceptance to her brother's proposal or excitement. "I can't."

He couldn't help himself – he laughed freely until Julie's disquiet silenced him. "I think you can. I know you can. You remember when we were little and I would tell you stories? You would draw the very thing I could see in my head. You were what inspired me to my line of work."

"That was a long time ago," she said, meekly. "I'm sorry, but I can't."

Matthew ran his hand through his sandy hair and let out a discontented sigh. "Don't worry. I guessed that you might not jump on the bandwagon too quickly, so I'm to bug you until you say yes." His charm and handsome face usually compelled women to leap at any opportunity to be in his good graces. Julie must have a bit of resistance after so much contact, though.

"Stubborn ass," was all the response he received. A quick look at the clock later, Julie was grabbing her uniform and running to the bedroom. "I've got to get to work. My shift starts in twenty."

"You work from six to six? That's a little steep."

Reemerging changed and ready for work, Julie explained. "One of the other waitresses is sick and I need the work. Plus all the other girls have plans tonight – it's Friday."

Quietly, Matthew picked up the water glasses and placed them in the sink. "I'll drop you off, if you like."

"Thanks, but it'd be hard to get back here without my car at six in the morning." She pulled on her socks and sneakers and pulled her hair back into a loose ponytail. "So when are we supposed to go out?"

He had almost forgotten about that. "When aren't you working?"

"Tuesday."

Matthew frowned. "You'd want to go to a bar on a Tuesday?"

"Why not? It's not like it's closed."

"All right. Tuesday it is. Pick you up at seven?"

Both of them began leaving the apartment as Julie finished pulling on her jacket and scarf. "Sure. See you then. And bring your sketchbook."