Just a Jab Ch. 08

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

"Well matron I am extremely happy with the staff here at the hospital. They have all been very pleasant and professional in their dealings with me."

Matron Hardas continued, "Has anyone overstepped any boundaries and made you feel uncomfortable or done anything untoward that in would not normally expect in a hospital?"

John replied to her, "Nothing unexpected or that was not required has occurred to my knowledge."

"Were your diagnosis, prognosis and the details of your required treatment fully explained to you? Did they ensure you fully understood it?"

John answered in the affirmative.

"Could I ask you Mr Smith to tell me what was explained to you about your condition and what treatment you are required to undertake. This is just so that I am reassured that you have a full understanding of what is wrong and what you need and that it was properly explained to you."

John sat for a moment thinking over what the matron was asking and, more importantly to him, why she was asking this. He could see Linda getting restless on the other side of the bed and that she also was unsettled by this line of questioning. It seemed more like an interrogation or as they say in the TV shows 'a fishing expedition'. As he was thinking about this Linda got out of her chair and apologised that she had to visit the visitor's toilets. This seemed an odd thing for Linda do at this time so he thought she had something she needed to do privately away from the matron.

"Sorry for being slow in responding Matron Hardas, but this is not something I have been asked for in any detail. Normally it is just friends wanting a general idea of the problem and that you are going to be okay. I remember the doctor going to length about my problem and what I might expect to encounter. She, this is Dr Kendall by the way, also went into a fair amount of detail about my treatment requirements. This is what they call the protocols if I remember correctly, is that right matron?"

John waited until the woman realised he had asked her a question and she had to respond. John had guessed that Linda had thought of something important and it probably related to this visit. He was trying to stall for a while until she could return. He felt distinctly uncomfortable with the chief nurse in the hospital asking questions in this manner. He would have thought she would just check that items from the written procedures were being carried out satisfactorily. Sort of trying to cover the hospital's arse in case of problems later on. He ploughed on trying to think of delaying tactics without his responses sounding too weird.

"So far I think the nurses have adhered to the instructions pretty well with no problems even though I have only been here a short time and hopefully can leave soon. I mean to say, this is a nice hospital to visit but home would be my preference. It must be difficult to manage a hospital this size to ensure the nursing staff all are as good as they are and provide the best of care to the patients. You must be a very good manager because the staff have all been excellent."

"Why thank you for that Mr Smith, I do pride myself on maintaining the hospital to run at the highest standards possible. But returning to my earlier question, can you provide me with the details of your treatment that the doctor has prescribed for you. Also what the doctor has explained to you about your condition and its prognosis."

John was getting very uncomfortable as he thought the questions strange. He tried to quickly think of what else he could say.

"Sorry matron but I don't think I could explain it to you in sufficient detail. My wife tends to remember medical stuff much better than I do and I rely on her to keep tabs on me. Perhaps you could just ask me for confirmation of any details that were written by the doctor and I will see if my memory is good enough to recall that information."

He noticed that the matron looked taken aback that he did not immediately quote chapter and verse to her. It was obvious that she always got her way with everyone and was not used to her requests being snubbed.

"Mr Smith, I do not think that would be satisfactory for my purposes. It is most important that you explain your condition and treatment to me. I feel you are unnecessarily stalling and it is essential that you tell me, in person, the information I am needing. It cannot be someone else prompting you or providing words for you to agree or disagree to. I do not have all day and I get impatient with dawdlers Mr Smith, I demand that you tell me straight away."

John was really concerned with how the matron was changing her tone and now demanding he talk to her. It seemed far more than just her officious nature as he had been told about by the nurses. Normally John had his methods of turning the tables on officious jerks, but in those instances he had an idea of what was behind the attitudes being shown. Currently he was totally in the dark as to the reasons she was pressing so hard, so he did not want to press the wrong way and make matters worse. He decided to try a last attempt at stalling before just saying no to her.

"Well since it is so necessary can you give me a little time to gather my thoughts so I can relate it to you in the best manner possible. I would hate to make mistakes or say things in a disorderly way."

Before the woman could respond to his words Linda returned to the room looking very smug. She breezed in, sat in her chair and looked at John and then the matron.

"My apologies for being gone for so long, but I had to dash quickly. I hope John has answered all your queries Matron Hardas, he can waffle on sometimes and lose the train of the subject."

"Unfortunately Mrs Smith he has not been able to answer everything yet as he has trouble remembering details of medical matters. I was just stressing how important it is that he be the one to tell me in his own words so I can confirm his full understanding against the written report by the doctor. It is too easy to just nod your head to confirm something as it is told to you and thus not really telling me how much he understands."

"Ah I see matron, that is a shame because he really does not have a good memory for medical jargon, and a lot of what we were told had the incredibly long and unintelligible names that the medical profession loves so much."

John looked at her when she said this as to his memory the explanations had contained very little jargon as his problem was not covered in normal medical texts. This confirmed to him that Linda had not left the room to go to the toilet. He saw a small frown appear on her face as she continued talking.

"But that is neither here nor there. I happened to pass a nurse and she told me that Dr Kendall is coming in to see you soon dear. Perhaps Matron Hardas could discuss any details she needs directly with the doctor."

Matron Hardas took a moment to decide and stood to take her leave, "Thank you for your time Mr Smith, it has been most beneficial. I won't bother the good doctor at this time as I have some important matters of my own to attend to. Been a pleasure meeting you both."

She paused for a moment and placed her electronic tablet on the cupboard by the bed and reaching into her pocket produced a business card from wallet. As she was about to hand this to John it slipped from her fingers to the floor next to the bedside cabinet. The matron had to get down to the floor to retrieve it before rising and handing it over.

"This is my phone extension if you find you can tell me anything further about what we have discussed. Please ring me any time and if I do not answer leave a message and I will get back to you. Goodbye for now Mr and Mrs Smith."

The matron shook their hands and left the room to return to her own duties leaving the couple rather bemused.

Linda grabbed John's hand and asked, "Are you okay John? Have you any tingles that need fixing?"

"No dear, I had some treatment just a little while ago. The matron arrived in the room just as Rhonda was giving me my treatment," he smiled at Linda's wide eyes of astonishment, "fortunately we were in the bathroom at the time with the door locked. I was in there when Rhonda arrived and just stayed there when she said the matron was on the warpath this morning. I guess I was one of her targets today. The matron was at the door knocking and worried something was wrong with me as she had heard loud grunts and groans from in there. I told her I was just having trouble going to the toilet. She advised I should get something to help me, then asked if I knew where nurse Rhonda was. I told her the the nurse had come earlier, but I thought she had important business to attend to so she was probably doing that now. Of course she was really having an orgasm bent over the sink at the time."

Linda laughed at this, enjoying the double meanings of my explanations. It was at this moment that Rhonda came into the room looking a little sheepish because Linda was here. The look did not last long after I reminded Linda that this is Rhonda and Linda got up to give her a big hug, thanks and a kiss to the cheek.

"It seems that my husband and yourself have had some fun and games this morning. You didn't get into trouble with the matron have you?" and Rhonda shook her head to indicate no, "Good, perhaps next time you will have more enjoyment and less excitement."

"Linda, I don't want to upset you at all, but being with John was well worth any possible trouble. It was more excitement and fun than I have had in a long time, if ever, and I am not referring to the matron's intrusion. You are a very lucky woman but I guess you already know that."

"Thank you Rhonda. Yes, I am probably the luckiest woman on the planet," smiling at John's discomfort with flattery.

"I just popped in to check that John was okay for the moment as I am heading out to lunch and nobody else is on duty yet to help if it is needed. But I guess with you here Linda, I can go to lunch before the rest of my shift. When I finish today Felicia and Francine will start their shift, then Polly and Penny are here till breakfast again. You have been lucky John that we all had staggered shifts."

John responded, "Yes I am a very lucky man. You have saved me from some very hard moments."

Linda added with a smirk, "Maybe that should be WITH some very hard moments."

Rhonda laughed at this response and after a quick bye left them passing Dr Kendall in the doorway. They greeted each other and Rhonda responded to a query that John had indeed gotten his proper treatments this morning. They could hear her giggling as she went down the corridor.

Philipa Kendall explained she was just here for a minute and went on to explain that after Linda's call earlier she had to drop in to warn us. John looked at Linda and she confirmed that she had phoned Philipa because she was concerned about the reason for the matron's visit. Linda had passed on the crux of the matron's questions.

The doctor went on to explain, "I am concerned about the matron and I am not the only one. There is nothing concrete but just circumstantial evidence and theories, but it seems the matron may have some ties to outside interests not necessarily to the betterment of the hospital. She seems to have leanings toward selected companies that provide goods and services to hospitals, and they can get preferential treatment at important moments. From what Linda said to me I can only guess that the matron was digging for information that might not be good to have spread around. Just to fill you in I have made absolutely no mention anywhere in your case file as to exactly what your diagnosis or prognosis is, or what the specific treatments require. There is nothing in writing anywhere except for my personal notes locked away in my office safe. Apart from basic health information and some general notes about your condition it only refers anyone searching to contact myself."

John added in to this, "I can understand that she would then be curious as what my case notes should contain, but not what she was precisely demanding from me. She tried bullying me in the end to state in my own words what I had been told about the diagnosis, prognosis and treatment. It was the demanded that I say it all without any prompting, almost like those TV trials where the lawyers are only allowed to ask questions and not lead the witness."

Philipa sat quietly for a minute thinking about what she had just been told. She then leaned over to John and whispered into his ear, "What seat was she in whilst talking to you?"

John looked curiously at her but just pointed to the chair that Philipa has occupied. He then watched with great interest and concern as the doctor started fossicking around the chair, bed and the cabinet on that side of the bed. She did not stop talking to them although it was obvious no response was required. Philipa then looked at the two curious onlookers and held her index finger to her pursed lips. They took the hint and both made to lock their mouths closed with keys, to the mirth of the doctor. She pulled out a tissue and reached around the cabinet and pulled out a device smaller than a matchbox. They both looked inquisitively at what she was holding as Philipa gave them a closer inspection before returning it to where she had found it. Re-iterating the silence motion she waved them to follow her out to the corridor and to another room nearby that was currently empty.

"Sorry for the cloak and dagger mime but I had a really bad feeling about what you had told me," the doctor told them, "There has been some rumours going around about the pharmaceutical company pulling some dirty tricks in the past about problems it was trying to get out of. No second guesses which one I am referring to.

"This now confirms that our dedicated matron is working against her own hospital in the care of its patients. Please excuse me as I must attend to a few matters pertaining to our little find. Perhaps you can guess that I love my spy novels and films, and watching all that nonsense pays off eventually," she snickered, "Now I will organise you to be relocated to another room on the pretext that the twin share you have will be required. By the time today finishes we will be filled again with new patients for tomorrow's operations. You will be moved to a single room. I will try and give you a better explanation another time, but I must hurry and sort this out."

Philipa continued talking quickly, "Your lawyer contacted me and I will send him a full report on your condition and other relevant matters. I think he will find this to be beneficial to all the cases. He will get that today as I will rush this thing, because I do not like what is happening to you. Bye for now kids," she smiled and gave them each a hug and kiss before leaving.

Linda said quietly, "Who was that masked woman?"

John laughed and responded, "I don't know but she left a silver doodad," and they both laughed. The joking helped to shake off their nerves after an extremely bizarre morning for the couple

Very soon Rhonda arrived to escort them to a new room and to find that all of their stuff had already been moved. Lunch was delivered as they arrived and Rhonda left after a quick goodbye. As John was peaking under the food covers Janet and Bronwyn walked in sliding past the dinner server. Linda spotted them first and gave them both a quick hug and welcome. An odour of meat and fried food brought John's head out of his tray inspection and the sight of his visitors brought a smile to his face. He immediately forgot all about his lunch and opened his arms for hello hugs and kisses.

Janet talked as hugs were being shared, "Hello John, you are looking better today. Bronwyn decided she needed to check on you so she could report first hand to the others that you are still in one piece. Don't worry about the front desk, Barry is manning the fort today."

John responded, "Oh good. You had me worried for a moment that you had left an scientist in charge. An engineer in charge is so much better."

"Ha ha," was all the response he got.

The hug lingered for a few moments surprising Bronwyn that it seemed to be a tight hug that went on for longer than a friendly hug. She was especially surprised that Linda just stood there as though this was nothing untoward. Bronwyn had been suspicious about how far the relationship between her boss and Janet had gone. Bronwyn knew they were friends even though Janet was John's personal assistant. She also knew that Janet was friends with Linda as well, so she hoped that her suspicions were wrong. There was no way she wanted any of them to get hurt. This hug that Janet was having with John was like they were lovers and they were doing it in front of Linda as though they did not care if she found out. Thinking to herself that she may have been right, but something did not seem right making her concerned and curious. What particularly irked Bronwyn was that she was suffering more from jealousy that it was Janet and not her. Bronwyn stopped thinking as Janet released her hold of John.

Bronwyn had her turn to kiss and hug John asking him, "How are you doing John? We were worried at work about you with this being the second time and all."

"I'm doing much better now Bronnie. They managed to bring me back and with luck I can escape here tomorrow. They have only kept me around because they love me so much and the ward needed the beds to be filled."

A small, "Ha," was all he got for that one.

What Bronwyn was unaware of was that Linda had noticed the way she had been watching the other pair interact and was having her own thoughts and guesses. Linda saw various expressions pass across Bronwyn's face and although it was difficult to say accurately what each facial movement meant, she got the distinct impression that the young woman was worried about something. If she had to gamble on it Linda would guess it was about the new closeness between John and Janet. The main uncertainty to Linda was if Bronwyn's worries were out of jealousy toward Janet or concern for Linda being the injured wife. Linda decided that today would be an ideal opportunity to have a talk with Bronwyn. They had already decided she was a good candidate for helping with John's treatments.

While Linda had been working through her thoughts about Bronwyn the other three had been discussing why John had changed rooms. The talking only occurred between bites of food, so Linda joined the discussion and the meal. They finished eating and Linda decided she wanted them all to have fresh coffees from the barista near the main entry of the hospital. Giving Janet a quick look she asked Bronwyn if she could help her get the drinks. Janet raised her eyebrows at Linda receiving a small nod of her head in response, producing a wicked grin by Janet. No sooner than the two women had left the room and Janet was closing the door and pulling the curtains around the bed. John had enough time to raise his eyebrows at Janet's actions before she removed her dress leaving her in matching silk underwear. Wasting no time Janet was on the bed with John making certain his lips and hands were busy where she thought they should be.

Linda lead Bronwyn to the coffee shop talking about general things before suggesting they have a coffee here before returning.

Bronwyn asked, "Won't they wonder where we got to if we take too long getting back?"

"It shouldn't be a problem, I think Janet will guess we will be a while as she knows that I want to have a quiet chat with you at some time. Now seems as good a time as any."

"Okay Linda, I should talk with you as well, but have been scared to bring it up, 'cause it really is no business of mine."

"Bronwyn I think I might know what you want to say to me so let me go first, it might just help you tell me what it is. I wanted to let you know some more detail on John's condition and how this has affected our lives, and those of our close friends. Firstly though I know we can trust you with this but I just need your promise not to reveal anything we talk about to anyone else. Well other than those already involved that is. Can I have your promise?"