[K][T] and Family Ch. 03

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

"Don't worry about it, Gerald. It simply occurred to Sean to wonder how I might react to intentional stupidity, even something as small as that. We will let him think he got away with it, this time. Sooner or later, find reason to remind him."

"Yes, Ma'am. Uhh..."

"Transitions, Gerald, transitions. You were military. How did you deal with abrupt relocation?"

"That is a tough one, Ma'am. Logan Santy once told a group of us that there were two things being a CEO had taught him. First, the longer you live, the older you get." I had to snort at that. "The other is possibly relevant. He said that no matter where you go, there you are. Good night, Ma'am and God Bless."

That made a twisted sort of sense. Gerald was saying that I needed to accept what was and stop worrying about what was not. Easier said than done, but he said it was a difficult issue. He had also given me a place to get my bearings. Christine had an even more abrupt change than I had, but she was embracing it more smoothly.

I went to Siobhan's room and knocked on the door. Siobhan called, "Come in." At least they were decent. I opened the door. Siobhan was sitting at a desk, keying on a computer. Christine was sitting cross legged on the bed, with her own computer on a pillow. They were talking, without speaking. Of everything I did since my engagement, buying Christine her computer was the wisest. I felt better just thinking about it.

Both Christine and Siobhan started to rise. I waved them back, for all the good it did. We hugged. I hugged them each, then I hugged them both. I later realized it was a defining moment. This was my bed rock. What I built here would last a lifetime, possibly longer.

When we separated, Christine held up her hand. Siobhan and I exchanged glances. Christine dug through her things and pulled out the chemise I bought her at the mall. She offered it to me. No. She offered to loan it to me. Something borrowed. How sweet.

I must have muttered it to myself, because Siobhan picked up on it. Growing up with Sean, she might have trained herself to to read lips. I would ask Sean if he ever thought Siobhan was a mind reader, but I knew what his answer would be. I must have muttered that as well, because Siobhan said, "Damn, another secret lost. Hold still, I have old and blue. Francine can get the new."

It was a sapphire brooch. The gemstone was not large, but it was set in fine silver. The design was an intricate whorl patterned filigree. Siobhan confirmed my guess that this was a family heirloom.

"I don't know how much you have explored that big man cave Sean lives in, but there are a number of things that Mother left behind. Most of what I found, I moved, so that you could have the space. Old shoes, purses and such. Mother also left behind some vintage jewelry. It was my grandmother's—Mother's mother-in-law—and they did not get along or have similar tastes.

"If Sean, George and I divided it three ways, this would be from Sean's third. So take this as yours, not as a loan. When we have time, I will show you to their room in the old house. There is nothing there but personal items and furniture. As Lady of the house, they are now yours—yours to use and your responsibility. More interesting is the storage from previous generations. Small valuables, like the jewelry, have been removed, but there are antiques dating to colonial times. My God, the papers are worth a couple of dissertations, not to mention a small fortune as collectables.

"Don't you dare cry. If you do, we'll all start and there are people down the hall. This was my mother's responsibility once, but she turned her back on it. As soon as Sean was ready to take over, she packed up and moved to La La Land. I love my mother, but in this area, I have no respect. I could not imagine a more fitting person to take over the management of our family heritage.

"Now, give us another hug, then go see my brother. He probably fell asleep in front of the TV. He did it when I was eight. I doubt he's changed." What could I say? This family could make me proud and humble at the same time. I hugged both of them, then went to find Sean.