Kane Ch. 03

Story Info
Explanations.
5.5k words
4.68
36.3k
22

Part 3 of the 4 part series

Updated 09/22/2022
Created 09/03/2011
Share this Story

Font Size

Default Font Size

Font Spacing

Default Font Spacing

Font Face

Default Font Face

Reading Theme

Default Theme (White)
You need to Log In or Sign Up to have your customization saved in your Literotica profile.
PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here
kalamazoo707
kalamazoo707
1,665 Followers

Carla drug herself out of bed the next morning, her eyes felt swollen and grainy. She felt as though she hadn't slept although she knew that she had. She cracked her bedroom door open trying to hear if Ian was up yet. She heard a movie playing and knew that he was already awake. She put on her housecoat and went to his room.

"Good Morning!" she said forcing herself to sound chipper.

"Good Morning mama." Ian replied looking up from the television screen and then back again.

Carla noticed that he was watching the movie about how the universe was discovered again and wondered where his brains came from.

"I'm going to take a quick shower and then I'll make us breakfast. Pancakes sound good?" she asked.

She now had Ian's full attention, pancakes were his favorite food.

"The Mickey Mouse ones with bananas and whipped cream?" he asked excitedly.

Carla laughed, as intelligent as he was and as mature as he could act; he was still a five year old boy.

"Is daddy here?" Ian asked as she walked to the door.

Carla froze and then forced a smile before turning around.

"No, he went home last night; he'll be back tonight."

She left the room before Ian could ask any more questions that she didn't have the answers to, questions that she didn't want to think about right now. She took a quick shower and went downstairs to make breakfast. As she made the batter for the pancakes she wondered what it would mean for her to have Kane involved in their lives.

After breakfast, Carla set Ian up in the living room with his laptop so that they could work together, him on his school work and her grading the rest of the essays. Carla stole little glances at Ian, he looked normal and acted normal, well what was normal for him and he didn't look like a vampire but then neither did Kane.

Kane looked over the list of homes that George left on his desk, by the end of an hour he had narrowed the list down to two. He logged onto the website and looked at the videos of the houses and chose the one with the skylights in one of the bedrooms. He called the realtor that he always used and bought the house; he was acquainted with the current owner and didn't feel the need to actually see it. If there were any major problems the realtor would call him.

"I want a swing set in the backyard and make sure that the pool and Jacuzzi is treated and ready to go, call me with any questions." he told her.

The rest of the note from George told him which house that he wanted to buy and that his attorney would be calling in a day or two. The others, Kane listed on the web site and logged off. He glanced at the large box on the floor; it had every educational program that Carla had given him the list for and then some. Carla was right, they hadn't been cheap and he wondered how she managed. A pang of guilt hit him, she shouldn't have had to have managed, he should have been there but he wasn't and nothing would change that.

The next order of business was figuring out when to tell Carla everything else, she handled finding out about Ian fairly well maybe she would do alright with the rest of it too, he could only hope. He still had some time to kill and lay back down; he closed his eyes and then opened them, the beginnings of a plan forming in his mind. He called the realtor back.

"Mel, no I haven't changed my mind but there's a building downtown, it used to be a karaoke bar called Barto's, see if you can find out if it's for sale and the asking price, sooner rather than later, leave a message on my cell if I don't answer."

The rest of the afternoon passed slowly, as soon as it was dusk; Kane was at Carla's front door with the box of computer programs and a small cooler with several bags of blood.

As soon as Ian heard his voice, he came flying down the stairs.

"You came back!" he exclaimed.

"Of course I did, did you think that I wouldn't?" Kane asked.

When Ian hesitated, he knew that's exactly what he thought.

"Ian come here." Kane said as he knelt to eye level, "I'm not going to leave you and your mother alone ever again; you have my word on that."

Ian visibly relaxed and gave Kane a hug.

"Just be careful when you hug your mom, you're already pretty strong." Kane said returning the hug.

Carla stood back watching with very mixed feelings, she loved that Ian was happy but she was still angry at Kane. She had the distinct feeling that he hadn't told her everything although she was at a loss as to what the rest of it could be-she was still having that little niggling feeling that there was something about vampires that she should be remembering. She had meant to do an internet search after Kane left but was too worn out to do it, now she wished that she had.

Kane lifted the box and put it on the living room table.

"These are the programs that you told me that Ian needed plus a few extras, this should hold him for a while."

Ian was delighted.

"Look! It's the one that I saw on television! Thank you!" Ian said jumping up into Kane's arms.

"You're welcome but before you start using it, you and I have to talk about taking care of yourself. Carla is it alright if we go to the kitchen?" Kane asked.

"Ok." Carla replied intrigued in spite of herself.

Kane sat the cooler on the kitchen table and sat down, when Carla and Ian were sitting, he began.

"Ian, you've been having urges that you don't understand and you've been managing them very well. There's a reason for the urges, you aren't human; you are vampire just as I am. There is a lot to know and your mom says that I can teach you. The most important thing right now is this; you cannot let yourself get so hungry that you might hurt someone."

"I know." Ian said.

"What do you know?" Kane asked.

"That I'm a vampire."

Carla and Kane looked at each other. The reality of the situation was dawning on Carla; her baby really was a vampire.

"How did you know?" Kane asked.

"The internet, it told me that I could drink the blood of animals so that I wouldn't hurt anyone."

"How long have you known?" Carla asked.

"I don't know for sure but at least twelve months."

"A year? A whole year?" Carla thought.

"Why didn't you tell me?" Carla asked hurt.

"You wouldn't have believed me." Ian replied, his tone matter of fact.

He was right; she wouldn't have believed him Carla admitted to herself, at least not initially. Kane watched as Carla came to grips with Ian's vampirism.

"Ok Ian, just as you need human food, you also need blood .When you are hungry and you need blood, drink only until you are comfortable but not stuffed. Start off with a small amount, just like food you can always have more if you need it. Some of us like to drink it cold but I prefer it warmed up, not hot but warm. Microwaving it is the easiest way to warm it up, I'm sure that your mom will help you with that if I'm not here. Do you have any questions so far?"

"I understand." Ian said looking at Carla anxiously.

"Carla? Any questions?" Kane asked.

Carla shook her head, this was really happening!

"One last thing about the blood, always keep at least one thawed out. As a matter of fact, a better thing to do is to keep two thawed out. When you drink one, take another one out of the freezer and put it behind the older one. If you don't drink a whole unit, it has to be thrown out unless you like eating clots, there are some that do and I'm not one of them but you can try it if you want. If you think of any questions, ask. I can tell that you're dying to get into that program so go on; I need to talk to your mother. Ian wait, are you hungry right now?" Kane asked.

"Just a little." Ian replied.

"How about we share?" Kane asked as he stood up, "Carla can I have two glasses?"

Numbly, Carla pointed to the dish rack. She watched with a combination of horror and fascination as Kane poured blood into a glass filling it only half full and emptying the rest into the other glass before putting them in the microwave.

Twenty seconds later, Ian had his first taste of human blood. Carla didn't miss the look of pure enjoyment on his face as he drained the glass dry.

"That taste better than animals." he said as he handed the glass to Carla.

"Yes it does but when there is nothing else animal blood is perfectly fine." Kane said, "Go play your game, I'll come talk to you later."

Ian ran off feeling full for the first time in a year.

"Where do you get the blood?" Carla asked.

"I have people that I pay."

"Do they know what you are?"

"No and it needs to stay that way." Kane replied.

"How do you..." Carla stopped, "you hypnotize them like you tried to do with me." she said understanding.

"It's called compulsion but yes we take away their memory of the donation and plant another memory." Kane replied.

"Do they ever remember?"

"It's rare but it has happened."

"Does it work on everyone?" Carla asked.

"In theory yes, but it didn't work on you and there's a reason for that. But I don't want to tell you when Ian is here, your friend; the one that was with you the other night, can she take care of Ian?"

"I don't know, I mean I guess; what's the big secret?" Carla asked.

"I just want to tell you what I have to tell you without worrying about Ian; do you think that we can talk tomorrow evening?"

"I'd have to check with Dina first."

Carla's stomach fluttered, she had the feeling that her world was going to be upset again and once again, it would be because of Kane. She picked up the phone and called Dina.

"Dina? Hey, are you busy tomorrow night? Can you watch Ian for me? No I don't have a date, I just have something that I need to do and it will be easier if Ian's not here. Ok, I'll bring him over around four."

She hung up the phone.

"There, it's done. Was there anything else?" she asked her tone curt.

"No, not right now but I would like to spend the evening with Ian."

Carla's face burned, she hadn't even thanked him for buying the computer programs for Ian and she was being rude, something that she detested and discouraged in Ian.

"Umm look, I'm sorry for being rude. Thanks for the computer programs and I'm sure that Ian would like to spend some time with you."

"I understand it's a lot to take in, if you'll excuse me; I'll go upstairs with Ian."

Carla sat at the kitchen table for several more minutes before going to the living room, the feeling that her life as she knew it was coming to an end almost stopped her in her tracks. She glanced toward the stairs and sat down at her laptop and began to answer emails from her students, she looked toward the stairs when she heard Ian laugh and wondered what was so funny, she heard Kane say something that sent Ian into another fit of laughter. Unable to resist any longer, Carla went upstairs to find Kane stretched out on Ian's bed, he was so tall that his feet hung over the foot of the bed. Ian was sitting on Kane's legs laughing.

"He tells funny stories." Ian said by way of explanation when he saw Carla in the doorway.

"I'm sorry if we disturbed you." Kane said giving her what Carla thought was a peculiar look.

"It's alright, I'm almost done. Ian, time to get ready for bed." Carla said.

"Awww mom, can't I stay up a little bit longer?" Ian asked, "Please?"

"Do as your mother says, I'll stay until you're in bed." Kane said.

"Why don't you stay here?" Ian asked pouting like a typical five year old.

"Because, we haven't talked about that, now scoot!" Carla said firmly.

Ian looked like he was going to argue with her but thought better of it.

Carla and Kane went back downstairs so that Ian could get ready for bed.

"Is six a good time for tomorrow night?" Kane asked.

"I'm taking Ian over to Dina's at four, so yes six is good."

"How about dinner before we talk?"

"I don't want to have dinner with you, I just want you to tell me whatever it is you feel that you have to tell me and unfortunately, I can't tell you to go away so I'll say this, when you come here its only to see Ian."

Kane smiled at her, he liked his feisty women; it made things more interesting.

"I understand, I'll say goodnight to Ian and be on my way."

Once again Ian asked why Kane couldn't stay with them.

"He can stay here with me and I'll sleep on the floor."

Kane chuckled.

"I appreciate that but I think that you should keep your bed, I'll be here when you come back from Dina's now get into bed."

Ian gave up and crawled into bed.

"Can I read?"

"Alright but only for a little while." Carla conceded.

Kane left shortly after Ian was in bed but not before trying to convince Carla to have dinner with him.

"We both have to eat so why not eat together?" he asked.

"Good night Kane." Carla said ushering him out of the door.

Kane sat across the street watching the house, Carla was angry but he had the feeling that the anger was more at herself than at him, that she was holding herself responsible for that night instead of him when the reality of it was that it was his entire fault. She went with him only because she felt the pull and then he denied her his love and protection, he had much to explain.

Carla brooded, she felt a flash of anger that she quickly tamped down and then it rose again. Kane's appearance brought back memories that she would just as soon forget. For months after that night she examined and reexamined the reasons that she left with him, she knew better! And here five years later, she was doing it again. To be honest, she wasn't just angry at herself but Kane too, what had he been thinking? Oh yes, "you made me feel something." he told her. What utter bullshit! She thought to herself as she headed toward her room.

She woke up to see Ian sitting on the edge of her bed.

"Ian? Are you alright?" she asked sitting up.

"I'm ok but it's almost ten." he replied.

Ten? Ten? She thought as she scrambled out of bed, she rarely if ever slept past eight but then she did have a couple of restless nights.

"Did you eat breakfast?" she asked.

"I had a bowl of cereal and a banana. Mama?"

"Yes baby?"

"Why are you so mad at daddy? Did he hurt you?"

"Damn it!" Carla swore silently, " It was something that happened a long time ago and something that you are way to young to understand, now let me get dressed." she said before he could ask another question. She waited until Ian left the room and sat down on the bed; until Kane came back none of this was an issue. She had a story ready for when the subject came up, so much for that she thought.

They spent the rest of the morning looking through the computer programs that Kane brought over. Ian was in seventh heaven, some of the programs were so expensive that Carla would have to have picked up another job to be able to afford them. She wondered what Kane did for a living to be able to spend so much money at one time.

Dina called her around noon.

"Hey my mom is wondering if Ian can spend the night, I have to work late and she just likes having someone else around."

"I don't see why not, he likes spending the night over there; your mom spoils him. We'll see you at four." Carla replied.

"I'm staying at mom mom's tonight?" Ian asked.

"That's the plan. Umm Ian? Don't say anything about your dad yet ok?"

"Why?" Ian asked.

"I'm just not ready for anyone to know yet ok?"

Ian shrugged and ran off to pack. She almost hated to ask him not to say anything but she just wasn't ready for all of the questions that would be asked if Ian said anything. Of course, he might forget and let it slip; if he did then she would just have to deal with it.

Carla had always been a very private person, never having more than two to three close friends at a time and even then she was selective about what she told them. Part of it was her upbringing, her parents were firm believers in keeping personal business personal, there were some things that you just didn't share. The other part of it was Carla herself, she was introverted, had always been. That's why teaching online worked for her. Doing karaoke was her way of pushing herself to be more outgoing and with Dina and the now late Mary she had been that way until Justin came along. It wasn't entirely his fault, people will do to you as much as you let them and she had let him do more than she should have.

Over the past five years Dina and Mary had tried to find out what happened that night finally giving up after being shut down so often. When it came to light that she was pregnant, they stood by her even though she told them nothing, when they realized that Ian's father was white, they accepted Ian and spoiled him rotten and they still loved her as a friend. Now that Kane was in the picture, she would have to say something or did she?

Ian flew out of the car and ran into Dina's house calling for mom mom. For all practical purposes, Josie Monroe was his grandmother. She had always treated Carla and Ian as family and was a shoulder to cry on when Carla found out that she was pregnant.

"There's my baby boy! Come give me some love." Josie said opening her arms to Ian. Ian didn't hesitate in going to her and throwing his arms around her.

"I made some of those rice krispie treats that we like and I have some movies too and yes they have to do with the universe." she added laughing.

"Yay!" Ian squealed forgetting about Carla for a moment.

Josie looked at Carla and frowned.

"Everything alright? You look a little off kilter." she said.

"I'm fine and thank-you for taking care of Ian for me, I appreciate it."

"No worries, I'm glad to do it, Dina said that you have a date tonight and I'm all for you finding a nice man."

"I don't have a date!" Carla said sharper than she intended, "I'm sorry, Dina must have misunderstood, I'll come back for Ian later."

"You'll do no such thing, Dina is working late tonight and I want the company even though I don't understand half of what he's talking about." Josie replied with a laugh, "and besides, I need help eating those rice krispie treats."

Carla kissed Ian goodbye, she wondered how long it would be before he decided that he was too big for a hug and kiss from his mama. Going to Dina's was good for Ian, it wasn't good for him to have only her for company, and he needed interaction with other people. She wished that he interacted better with kids his age but then he wasn't like kids his age, he was almost like an old man in a child's body with the child coming out every once in a while.

She still had an hour before Kane showed up and decided to stop at the grocery store; she would actually be able to shop without Ian begging her to buy sweets. She arrived home just a few minutes before six to find Kane sitting on her front porch.

"Let me help you with those." he offered.

"Thanks, you're early." she commented as she handed him one of the heavier sacks.

"Habit." he replied as he grabbed a few more bags.

Kane watched as she put the groceries away, he noted how graceful her movements were as she moved around the kitchen. She really was beautiful.

"Are you sure that you don't want to go to dinner?" he asked.

"I'm sure. You said that you wanted to talk, so talk." Carla said as she walked to the living room.

Kane followed her sitting down only after she sat. There was an awkward silence as Kane collected his thoughts, he would be repeating himself but it really was the best way to start.

"I'm going to ask you to bear with me as I explain things, some of it I told you the other night but I have to put it into context. I told you that I had an allergy to the sun that is because of the vampirism; I was born this way and for reasons that I still don't understand, I hated it. I wanted nothing more than to be human and to be alone. The only thing that kept me sane was that I could eat human food but I wanted to be out in the sunlight to function as a human during the day. The one thing I didn't want was to finds my mate, if I did I would have to acknowledge her or so I thought. Anyway as I've mentioned, my family and all but one of my friends walked away from me and rightly so but I didn't care. I was getting what I wanted; I was being left alone unless I chose otherwise."

kalamazoo707
kalamazoo707
1,665 Followers
12