Karen Pt. 05 - Conclusion

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

"Tim, look at this." Andrea said.

She was pointing to the underside of the vanity which was now facing the truck's open tailgate. I turned and went back to where she was standing and looked at what she was pointing at. Taped to the underside of the vanity was a small skeleton key, about an inch and a half long. I tore off the ancient masking tape and removed the key. Andrea and I both examined it briefly. I vaguely remembered the key and wondered how it had gotten there.

"There aren't any locks on the vanity drawers ...seems like I remember this key went to one of Mom's suitcases or something." I said as I handed it to Andrea.

"It's cute and I want to put it on my key ring, is that ok, Tim." Andrea asked.

"It's your vanity, Andrea ...pardon the pun." I said smiling.

"That remark will cost you lunch, Tim." Andrea said smiling.

Andrea then got out her change purse and dropped the key in with all of her spare change. We then went to retrieve the heart shaped mirror for the vanity's back. We spent a total of about four hours at Mom's. All of Mom's, hundreds of vinyl records, had been donated or given away and Ricky's and my Tonka toys had long since been given to local kids, the house was pretty much empty now other than the refrigerator and some old appliances. Next Andrea and I went to the garage and I loaded a few old hand tools that had been left laying around in addition to the rest of what we had already loaded that morning, mostly small and insignificant stuff that would be left at Ricky's to be gone through at a later time. Andrea and I then went to the back of the house where Mom's garden had been.

"Mom's garden, Andrea, she loved it here, this was her pride and joy." I said.

Mom had grown up with "Victory Gardens" during World War Two and had always loved gardening. Working in the garden had been a therapeutic outlet for her as well as a great joy. As children, Mom had taught Ricky and I songs, fairytales and riddles associated with gardening and I remember her spending many tranquil hours working in the garden. The flowers she grew were breathtakingly beautiful and the food she served us from the garden was a great source of nourishment for our bodies, this was something she took tremendous pride in. For Mom, a garden was always a sacred place and a source of life, everything in a garden is ALIVE she would say. Mom's garden was also her sanctuary, her refuge when she needed time to be alone and think. Healing takes place in a garden she would often tell us. Sometimes she would just sit in a beach chair within the garden and just admire the growing plants and watch nature at work. I was saddened to see the weeds and total disarray of Mom's garden now as Andrea and I walked to the rear of the house. For some reason I suddenly felt beckoned by the garden but in looking at it there was nothing there but the tangle of weeds and Mom's broken wheelbarrow tipped over on its side. There was nothing left alive here any longer other than the weeds. I concluded that Andrea and I were done here and Stony Brook Subdivision was done as well.

"It's time to go Andrea." I said.

_____ 12 ______

"I'm so excited about the vanity - thank you, Tim!" Andrea said over the engine noise.

"Good honey, I'm glad. You ready to stop and get a sandwich?" I asked.

"Yes, I would like that." Andrea said.

Andrea and I dove into a strip mall / gas station and parked Ricky's Ford pick-up next to gas pump. I got out and began filling the fuel tank while Andrea went inside to get our sandwiches. After the tank was full I drove around the pump island and nosed the truck up to the side of the building and went in. Andrea was three quarters of her way through the line of people, ordering their sandwiches, so I sat in a booth and dug out my phone. I had photographed the disassembled vanity after Andrea and I had loaded it into Ricky's truck. I now composed a text to Brenda with the photo included. "I gave Moms vanity to Andrea but it's too big for the nissan so am going to store it in Rickys spare room for a week or 10 days until we can come back with a truck. Hope you're both having fun. Love you" I also included the animated bunny rabbit that was waving the vigorous hello, which Lisa had sent me in her text the week before, I pushed 'send' just as Andrea walked up to the booth with our sandwiches.

"All they had was diet coke, is that alright?" Andrea asked.

"Sure honey, that's fine." I said.

"It's such a beautiful day, can we eat outside?" Andrea asked.

"I'd like that Andrea." I replied.

We walked out the sandwich shop's, side entrance, only to be disappointed in discovering that all the picnic tables were already filled by other people with the same idea as Andrea and I.

"Oh, well, it was a good idea." Andrea said as she turned to go back into the sandwich shop so we could eat at an inside booth.

"Follow me Andrea; I have a reserved table for two, madam." I said, walking to the rear of Ricky's truck and opening the tailgate.

"Tailgate party! Where's the keg, though, Tim?" Andrea asked, jumping onto the tailgate with her butt.

" 'Fraid we'll just have to wing that part of it honey. I try, never to touch a drop before three o clock, anyway." I replied smiling.

"You've already got mustard on your shirt, Tim." Andrea said as she jerked me close to her and smacked me on the lips with a kiss, when I looked down at my shirt.

"You don't have to resort to trickery, Andrea Millhouse." I said as I bit into my sandwich.

"No, but it's more fun when I do." Andrea replied, unwrapping her sandwich.

"You're dangerous Andrea Mil- ...Hello?" I answered my phone.

"Hey, Tim, Bren, this a good time for ya to yak?" Brenda asked.

"Yeah, we're eating sandwiches on the tailgate of Ricky's Ford in, ..um, someplace, I'm not exactly sure where we are at the moment." I said with a mouth full of food.

"How'd it go at Mom's today, you ok?" Brenda asked.

"It was emotional, Brenda, but Andrea was there with me and I think it helped in, putting some closure to losing her." I said.

"Good, I'm glad to hear that. Give it time, ok, Tim? By the way, I'm glad that Andrea is interested in the vanity; I was starting to feel guilty about leaving that piece even though I didn't want it for myself. One of the girls that I work with wanted it but she's been in detox for the last week so go ahead and let Andrea have it. I'm glad it's going to a good home; Ricky doesn't care one way or the other. Did you get Mom's video tapes while you were there, Tim?" Brenda asked.

"Yes they're here in the cab of the truck now, as we speak, Brenda, I think we got everything now." I said.

"OK, good, when do you think you'll have them transferred to thumb-drive or something, Tim?" Brenda asked.

"There's a really good place in Vegas, Brenda, and I also want to have them do a blow-up and computer coloring of the carnival photo, I'll have four of those made, I'll have them made as large as possible and framed. When I talked to the guy, he said probably eight hundred bucks for everything and I'll most likely drop-off the stuff next week, mid week or so. Are you guys having fun?" I asked Brenda.

"Yeah, we're here with Lynn and Margie at the swap meet, we just ate. Let me know when you have the video transferred. We'd like a couple of the photos too, Tim. I'll go fifty, fifty, on expenses with you and we'll YouTube the best parts of the videos, with Mom in them, once they're on thumb drive. I may also post the series, in its entirety, at some later date - it's pretty long, I think." Brenda said.

"Good, I'm not worried about the money and I'd already planned for you and Ricky to each have one of her photos and a copy of the video footage, Brenda." I said.

"OK that works, just keep me in the loop then. Tim, what are your plans with Stormy"? Brenda asked now.

"I had planned to leave her in the care of Yogi and let him adopt her, that was the reason for your call in the first place wasn't it Brenda?" I asked.

"Yes, I think it would do Yogi as much good, as it would Stormy." Brenda said.

"You're showing your heart again, Brenda, and that's dangerous. Animals can spot a free meal, a mile away, and you're the biggest sucker there is, just ask Yogi." I replied as I smiled into the phone.

"Thank you for that important information, Tim. Here I'll let you talk to your brother; don't keep him on the phone too long either, smartass. Love you." Brenda said.

"Yo, Tim, what's the valve lash on a two sixteen Chevy, got a guy here rebuilding one, at home." Ricky said.

"Ten and thirteen - Hot. Is that Penny's old man?" I asked.

"Yeah, thanks." Ricky clicked off and I was holding a dead phone. Ricky never quite understood the proper etiquette of talking on a telephone.

"What's up?" Andrea asked.

"Yogi just adopted Stormy." I said, as I bit into my cold sandwich.

"Oh ok, ...I guess that works then. Here, let's take a selfie, look up, smile, again, ...one more." Andrea said as she clicked our photo.

"You ready to head back now?" I asked Andrea.

"Let's stop at a super store for a minute, and then we can go." Andrea said.

We got into the cab and I typed the address of a super store, into the Garmin, once I had located it on the phone and a few minutes later we were parked and walking into the giant retail outlet. I saw an engraving machine and stopped to look at it.

"Call me when you're ready to leave, Andrea." I said putting money into the machine.

"Alright, probably be ten minutes or so, Tim." Andrea responded as she walked further into the store.

I began typing on the engraving machine's keyboard and a few minutes later, I held a small key ring accompanied by a purple, steel tag in the shape of a heart which read I'M STORMY CALL BRENDA (425) 455-5700, next; I went to the pet section and found a small adjustable collar adorned with hearts and a tiny silver bell attached to it. I then went and stood in the check-out line and waited for Andrea's call. A few minutes later I met her at the entryway door and we proceeded to walk back to Ricky's old Ford.

"What did you get?" I asked Andrea.

"Some of those little milk bottles and a kitty box, kitty litter and liners. What did you get?" Andrea asked.

"These, a name tag and ring, - here I'll carry the litter, Andrea." I said taking the bag from Andrea and showing her the tag and collar.

"Oh, very nice, Tim, I don't think Stormy is ready for a long road trip and Yogi seems to be quite happy being a surrogate parent." Andrea said smiling.

"Yogi is a giant Teddy bear." I said, as we reached the Ford.

It was nine twenty five PM when Andrea and I arrived at the trailer that evening. Yogi and Stormy were resting on the thick carpet mat and it appeared that Stormy had been up and around some during the day. Andrea and I then unloaded the antique vanity and carefully brought it into the trailer and placed it in our bedroom, tucked in one corner with the heart shaped mirror between the vanity, itself, and the trailer house wall. Andrea then began putting the drawers back into the vanity while I sponged bathed Stormy with some baby-wipes and rolled her up in a fresh towel and held her.

"Thank you, Tim. I LOVE this vanity!" Andrea said, admiring the piece and smiling.

"You're welcome honey. Stormy can hold her head up now and her eyes are clearing." I said to Andrea.

"I'll get her some milk in a minute." Andrea said, looking over at us.

Andrea finished with what she was doing with the vanity and left our bed room. A few minutes later, Andrea returned with one of the small milk bottles which she had heated in the microwave. I handed the bundle to Andrea and petted Yogi as we watched Andrea feed the tiny kitten. Stormy had her two front paws on the bottle now and was draining the milk as fast as she could. Andrea suddenly seemed more stunning to me than ever.

"Oh, she likes that alright!" Andrea said, smiling.

"You're a beautiful woman Andrea Millhouse." I said.

"We're going to talk about that later, Tim." Andrea said without looking up.

I began attaching Stormy's name tag to the small collar and adjusted it to the approximate size and set it on the nightstand. Leaving Andrea in the bedroom, I proceeded into the living room and sat on one of the chairs at the table, and glanced briefly again at the final notice for the demolition of Stony Brook. For a long time I just I sat and looked at Mom's jewelry box. Finally I pulled the piece over to me and opened it; the scent of Mom's perfume greeted me immediately. I stopped and closed my eyes and just sat there.

"Everything ok, baby?" Andrea asked as she sat down beside me.

"This belongs on top of Mom's vanity. Cherish it always. Promise me that, Andrea." I said, sliding the jewelry box toward Andrea.

"NO! I ...can't take, it isn't mine to..." Andrea stammered.

"Andrea, do this for me, alright? You're special to me and I want you to have it, Mom would have wanted it this way." I said quietly.

"Brenda told me how much your Mom's jewelry box means to you, Tim." Andrea said quietly.

"Please accept it." I said.

Andrea closed her eyes and ran a hand through her thick hair; a tear went down her cheek then.

"It's always available if ever you decide that you want it back, Tim, and thank you. I am honored." Andrea replied.

"I'm going to bed now." I said and got up.

There was a wind storm that night along with the steady rain that Seattle is so famous for. I held Andrea in the spooning position and thought about growing up with Ricky and Mom in the neighborhood, all those years ago. I thought about our good neighbors and friends, some of which were still among us and some of whom had crossed the river into the arms of God. I thought about the good times and the funny moments that we had all shared while living in Stony Brook. Then I slept and dreamt of Andrea Millhouse.

______ 13 _______

I did a lot of bicycling and a lot of thinking the next week once Andrea and I had returned to Laughlin. Andrea went to Phoenix on one of her real-estate ventures for several days and Lisa and I helped Karen find a new vehicle to purchase. After looking at several different vehicles Karen finally chose to replace the Mazda with a 2019 Ford Explorer Sport Trac. The small pick-up truck seemed perfect for Karen's life style and she enjoyed driving the vehicle. Lisa and I had then taken Karen out for a nice meal and a night of bowling, which I had never done before. We had talked about Andrea Millhouse most of the night. Hans and I went on another wild adventure, together, looking at more truck tractors and reefer vans and Brenda kept me abreast of Ricky's activities and stated that the Impala was running again and supposedly sold to a man in Idaho. Stormy was apparently doing quite well and adapting to her new life with Ricky and Yogi. As all of this was happening I began preparing myself, mentally, for the up and coming work season and my return to Alaska. I had spent a lot of time alone in the last ten days and as I was bicycling around Laughlin one afternoon I received a text from Andrea.

"Back in town and saw you on your bicycle a few minutes ago. I would like to spend time with you and return to Seattle for the vanity if you have time in the near future. Karen has stated we may use her Explorer. Please knock on my door after your ride I have something you need to see. Missed you Love you very much!"

After my ride I carried the recumbent up the stairs to the condo and washed my face and cooled down from the long bicycle ride that I had just ridden. Putting on a clean shirt and my windbreaker then, I stepped out of my apartment and knocked on Andrea's door. I suddenly found my heart beating stronger, but not from the exercise. Andrea opened the door and I received a kiss and was then taken by the hand and led into her apartment where she held me for a long moment and then kissed me again, Andrea looked stunning. Without speaking then, she led me by the hand to the dining room table where Mom's jewelry box now sat. Andrea opened it and Mom's perfume scented the air.

"I noticed that the bottom lining, in her jewelry box, was curling upward so I decide to remove it and glue it back into place. ...I haven't read this; it had already been opened when I discovered it." Andrea said.

She showed me the detached bottom lining of the jewelry box and then slipped out an envelope which had been hidden beneath the lining. Andrea then handed me the envelope without saying anything. I took noticed of the postage date and origin of the sender on the envelope. I then slipped out the card which had been inside and read the few lines written on the card. I then handed Andrea the card, to read. Andrea read the card as I sat down on the sofa in Andrea's living room. After reading the card, Andrea looked up at me without saying anything.

"I have no idea who Rick is." I said.

Andrea made me dinner and the decision was made that I would sleep at her apartment that night. Later that evening, upon calling Karen, arrangements were made for the trip to Seattle the following day, driving Karen's new Explorer which was large enough to accommodate the transport of the antique vanity located in Seattle at Ricky's trailer. Andrea would, in turn, loan Karen, her BMW to use while Andrea and I were driving the Explorer on the road trip.

"...You'll enjoy it, Andrea, and since Tim has already indicated that he doesn't want to drive on this trip, don't fret about it because you won't have any trouble with the size of the truck. It drives like a dream and isn't that much different than a car. Lisa and Tim also surprised me with a Garmin when they bought me dinner so you'll have GPS too, if you need it. Go have fun, you two!" Karen exclaimed on speaker phone, now.

"Is it alright if we trade vehicles with you in the morning, at the office then, as we pass through Las Vegas, Karen?" Andrea asked.

"Sure that will be fine and I'll let someone know our plans if, for some reason, I'm not there." Karen replied.

"Thank you so much, Karen. I can't wait for you to see the vanity and I should have the truck back to you by, no later than Tuesday." Andrea said.

"Just whenever, honey. The photos you sent of the vanity are adorable and we'll, all three, do lunch one way or the other, soon, ok?" Karen asked.

"Yes!" Andrea and I said in unison.

"OK, I've got a bowling date, with Andrew tonight, so I need to run along and get gussied-up, now." Karen said.

We all said good-bye and Andrea clicked off the line.

"OK, that's settled. Could you show me how to work the window blinds now, Tim?" Andrea asked.

"Sure they're exactly the same as mine, Andrea." I said walking into her bedroom now.

Andrea following close behind me, switched on the bedroom light; she then uttered an expletive after flipping the light switch just to hear the light bulb pop with a slight flash, leaving us in darkness.

"That's alright Andrea; I'll replace the light bulb in a minute. There's enough light coming in from the hallway for me to show you how the blinds work." I said.

As Andrea was standing in the darkened doorway of the bedroom, I stood to the side of the window and pulled up the blinds.

"Now, once the blinds are UP, like this..." I began saying.

Just then, through Andrea's bedroom window and directly across the condominium hallway, the adjacent apartment door abruptly opened. Emma Zimmerman, holding a cigarette, cautiously peaked around her doorframe. Apparently satisfied that no one was near; she opened her door the rest of the way, revealing the fact, quite obviously, that she was completely naked. Alex Lipke then, stepping from behind and around her, fully clothed, turned to face her. The two kissed briefly and talked quietly while Alex stroked one of Emma's large breasts. At one point of the hushed conversation Emma's words of "I had a real nice time tonight" filtered through Andrea's darkened window, in the form of a soft southern drawl. The door then quickly closed and Alex was gone.