Karma

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here
lovecraft68
lovecraft68
22,226 Followers

"Thank you for your help." I told him, "I..."

I stopped and my eyes widened as his words echoed in my head; humble pie, pie...

"Shit!" I exclaimed, digging my phone out of my pocket and looking at the time.

"What's the matter?"

"Oh no!"

It was eight fifteen and I was supposed to be in work for seven. Since my car shit the bed, I'd been busing and was late almost every day and Billy kept threatening to fire me. Even if a bus drove by me right now it would have to go downtown first and I would get there well after nine.

"What is it?" The officer repeated.

"I overslept and I'm late for work!"

"You work?" he raised his eyebrows skeptically.

"Yes!" I snapped, "I know what you probably think of me, but I'm not like the rest of the people with no place to go, I go to school too!"I fought back another frustrated sob, "I'm going to get fired!"

"Where do you work?"

"Kim's Diner and its ...."

"I'll give you a ride, how's that?"

"You will?" I asked, surprised.

"Sure," he nodded, "I know everyone thinks cops are around just to write tickets and act like jerks, but we are here to help when we can and at least I can help you, most people in your place I can't."

"Thank you officer!" I had to resist the urge to hug him, "This means so much!"

"Well," he gave me a wink, "I figured with a name like yours it can't hurt to be nice to you,"

It was eight thirty five when I got dropped off by the officer who'd told me his name was Rob and also let me know that Crossroads had beds, but they were first come first serve and they may be full. That thought caused another feeling of the surreal; a homeless shelter? Nevertheless, I thanked him and after I got my bags out of the back seat, started to walk towards the entrance to the diner. I stopped when it dawned on me how it would look; coming in with the suitcases.

Ducking into the alley alongside the diner I walked around to the back and was relieved to see the back door was open to let some air in. I entered quickly and saw my luck had held out. Billy was busy in front of the huge grill and while his back was to me, I moved as quickly as I could across the room until I had reached the storage room. I slipped inside and closing the door fumbled around in the dark until I found the string attached to the lone bulb that lit the room.

Placing my grey suitcase on a box I opened it and removed the less wrinkled of my three black Kim's Diner t-shirts and stuck my name tag to it. I stripped last night's clothes off and pulled on my black jeans. I tugged the shirt over my head and frowned as I caught a whiff of something funky. I rolled my eyes when I discovered it was under my arms that smelled funky.

Grabbing my deodorant the thought of where the hell was I going to shower tried to creep into my head. Talk about taking the little things for granted. With that in mind I took a minute to plug my lap top and phone into the outlet behind one of the long unused racks and closed the lid of the suitcase over them. Picking up a couple of empty boxes that I swore had been there since I started two years ago, I placed them on top of the case and shoved the other behind the rack.

I let my hair out of its pony tail and trying not to think about the fact I hadn't washed it since the night before last, I peeked out of the room. Billy was now at the tall counter and yelling at Maria that the eggs had been there so long they were turning into chickens. Exiting the room, I closed the door and walked quickly up behind Billy as if I had just come in.

"Morning!" I declared with false cheer.

Billy turned around and seeing me began to clap, "Way to go kid, you actually made it!"

"I'm sorry! I missed the first bus and..."

"Karma for the last two months you've been late more than you're on time." He pointed out while wiping his greasy hands off on an apron that looked as if it hadn't seen a washing machine in this decade.

"I know, I promise it won't..." I stopped when he made a farting sound with his lips.

"Man if I had a buck for every time you said that, look, I like you, the other girls like you and the customers like you," he grinned, "Especially one in particular."

"Oh, stop that!" I waved my hand, "I could be his daughter."

"If I could I'd be all over a girl my daughter's age," he sighed, "But I suppose only way that would happen is if I paid for it."

"Well," I started to walk past him, "Let me get out there and..."

I stopped when Billy put his hand up.

"Seriously Karma, it's not fair to Maria and Pat. I start you at seven because from seven to nine is our busiest time. We were so jammed today I had to go out and pour some coffee. Now I think we both know, no one wants to see my ugly ass out there."

"I'll be on time." I said, "You have my word."

"Until tomorrow." He shook his head, "I'm thinking of cutting one of your weekday shifts, Maria could use more hours and..."

"No please don't!" I couldn't lose any hours, my only hope of getting a place was to try to bank my pay and somehow live on as little as possible. "I really need the money!"

"Then you should be on time! Christ, you're over an hour late."

"I'll do better! I...I'm living closer now."

"You moved?" he narrowed his eyes.

"Yeah, I'm over near...the Hilton!"

"But you were even later today," he pointed out.

"Different route, this bus runs later and..."

He was staring down at me and had crossed his arms over his chest. His body language was trying to tell me he was still mad, but his eyes didn't seem as angry.

"Please Billy?" I pushed my lip out into a pout, "Please give me another chance?"

"Don't do that!" he snapped.

"Do what?" I made my already big brown eyes even wider.

"You know, that's not fair!"

"I don't know what you mean, but I'm awfully sorry Billy, please, please?" I was now using a little girl voice and with a disgusted grunt he threw his thumb over his shoulder,

"Get your ass out there and you better be on time tomorrow!"

"Thank you!" I stood up on my toes and gave him a peck on his unshaved cheek before heading past him,

"Well at least I can tell people a girl half my age kissed me today," he muttered.

"And for free," I added then quickly scooted through the swinging door and out into the diner.

"Well, look what the cat dragged in." Pat said from behind the cash register as I walked up to the counter.

"Yeah, I know, I'm late."

"And you do look like the cat dragged you in," she grinned at me, "You're a mess honey, was he worth it?"

"I was alone last night." I told her while grabbing menus to take over to a couple who were just sitting down.

"Please, over an hour late, no makeup, hair's a mess." She laughed, "It's been a long time, but I remember those nights."

"Um, sure." I shrugged, "You're right I stayed out all night. He gave me a ride in," I winked "and dropped me off!"

Pat laughed and gave me a smack on my ass when I walked by her and started over to the couple.

"Too late sweetie," Maria, smirked cutting in front of me and heading over to the table that was in my section.

"Number twelve is mine," I said just loud enough for her to hear.

She turned around so quickly I almost bumped into her and stuck her finger in my chest, "Not when you're an hour late sweetie. Your ass should have been fired, but I guess Billy likes looking at your cute little ass."

"No, it's because I..."

"I had to cover your section for the last hour and I'm taking this one too. I can't get any more hours cause of you so I may as well get some extra tips seeing you can't tell time."

She turned away and I noticed the people at a couple of tables near us were staring at me. I gave them a forced smile as if nothing were wrong and headed back to the counter.

"What's wrong with her?" I asked Pat.

"She is." She laughed, "You know Maria, not happy less she's not happy."

I looked around and seeing the diner was a slower than usual for this time of day. rolled my eyes. I needed my tips now more than ever. Well I hadn't been kidding I would be closer to work from now on, the shelter was only a few blocks away if I could bring myself to go there. Grabbing a towel from under the counter I gave it a squirt of Windex and started wiping the already clean countertop for something to do.

"Besides," Pat continued, "You were really late today and the place was swamped just before eight."

"Looks dead now." I glumly surveyed the mostly empty diner.

"It was a bunch of people all heading off on a tour or something. But you know why I really think Maria is mad?"

"Why's that?"

"Well," Pat began with a big grin, "It's just before nine and I think Maria thought she would get a chance to serve your best regular."

"Joe?" I was confused, "Why is that a big deal?"

"Karma, are you really that naïve?" she paused then with a laugh placed her hand on my arm, "Never mind, I forget you really are oblivious."

"Thanks," placing the rag under the counter I started checking the salt and pepper shakers along the counter.

Apparently with nothing else to do at the moment Pat followed me.

"Don't take it the wrong way; I think its part of what makes you so sweet. So do you want to know?"

"You're going to tell me anyway."

"Of course I am, when you get to be on the wrong side of sixty like me all you have is gossip."

"So cluck away then," I told her while opening a couple of jars of sugar to refill them.

"Honey, Joe's about five years older than Maria, he's good looking, he's a nice guy, he makes damn good money and ever since his wife past two years ago Maria's been trying to line him up in her sights."

"Oh." I nodded while pulling the bag of sugar out from under the counter and trying to pour it into the jar without spilling any. "So why be rude to me?"

"Joe asks for you specifically and that pisses her off because you have no interest and she does."

"So what am I supposed to do, let her take care of him?"

"No, he's been coming here since the place opened, hell Billy's daughter Kim used to wait on him and his wife everyday and she moved to Florida had to be almost twelve years ago. He's Billy's best customer, rumor has it he even helped him get the loan he needed a few years back to stay open, who Joe wants, Joe gets."

"That must suck, coming here alone and missing his wife every day." I rolled my eyes looking at the sugar all over the counter. "Don't know if I could do it."

"You're seeing it wrong, he had good memories with her here and its how he keeps them alive." She sighed, "Remember you're talking to someone who lost their husband five years ago."

"Sorry. I didn't mean to sound like a jerk."

"You're not and I'm sure you have things that make you smile and think of your mom." Pat put her arm around my shoulders and said softly, "She's proud of you Karma, school, work and you're the sweetest girl I know."

"I'm sure she would be proud of these days," I muttered slipping out from under her arm.

"As long as you do the right thing she will."

That caused me to pause. Pat was right, Mom would be more proud of me sleeping on a bench than blowing some pervert in trade for rent.

"Thanks Pat."

"For what?"

"For what you said, I needed that."

"Okay, glad I could help." She stopped as Maria bustled past us, giving us her best, "Must be nice to stand there and do nothing look" when she'd past, Pat continued, "But you never let me finish. Maria is mad at you because you're young, you're pretty, all the customers like you; especially the guys and" she winked, "Especially Joe."

"You too?" I waved my hand at her, "Billy made that same crack, Joe just likes to chat with me, he doesn't want to you know, do anything with me."

"Don't be so sure, Karma. He's single now, in his late forties, money, he's the perfect sugar daddy type."

"Joe's not like that." I snapped, "He's a good man, not some pig."

Pat smiled causing her brown eyes to all but disappear in the wrinkles that action caused.

"Hmm, maybe it's not just Joe that has some feelings."

"Not true." I told her, making sure I said it calmly, "I like him as a friend. He came to my mom's wake and funeral and sent flowers too. He's just a nice guy, why doesn't anyone ever think someone can just be nice?"

"Because we've been around longer than you, but like I said, stuff like that is what makes you so adorable." She shook her head, "And I was only kidding earlier, I know you weren't out screwing or on some bender, you were probably up all night studying."

"I might have been with a guy." I gave my head a shake," I am cute you know."

"Nope, you have no boyfriend and would never just hop in bed with someone you just met. Am I right?"

"Right." I shrugged, "What can I say, I'm a prude."

"Nah, just a nice girl." Pat laughed again, "So I guess you prove your own point you make me believe you're that nice."

"Lead by example I guess."

"And just so you know, if Joe was interested it doesn't mean he's not nice. It means he's a nice guy who is into a nice girl."

"Joe's way too old for..."

"Watch it honey, I got fifteen years on Joe."

"Okay, sorry."

We both looked up at the bells jingling, signaling the door opening and Joe walked in.

"Nine o'clock on the dot." Pat said, "For over ten years you can set your clock by him." she nudged me with her elbow, "You could learn from that you know."

She released an exaggerated sigh, "I wouldn't mind being Joe's second wife that's for sure, but I'm thinking he's looking to go younger these days."

I ignored her remark and watched Joe make his way through the diner. Despite the heat he was wearing a suit as he did every day. This one was basic black accompanied by a tie of the same color. The shirt however was a stunning shade of teal that seemed flashy for a guy in his late forties, but he pulled it off. Aside from the shirt everything about Joe was old fashioned and professional.

His shoes were always polished, his salt and pepper hair, which these days was leaning more towards salt, was brushed back with nary a hair out of place. He was always freshly shaved and his tie impeccably knotted even though he didn't go in until after ten these days. Something told me the tie was knotted well before he left his house and stayed that way until he got home.

"Hey Joe," Maria called out, "Got an empty table for you right here," she followed that comment with a big smile as she leaned over and wiped the already clean table off.

That move caused her more than ample chest to almost fall out of the low cut black shirt she was wearing.

"Guess she's trying to interest him in today's special." Pat chuckled.

"Hey Pat, how about some more coffee?" A voice called from the other end of the counter.

"Well gotta run, just watch the look on Maria's face when she gets blown off cause he don't want to be blown off."

Pat turned around and grabbing a pot of coffee headed down the other end.

"Jeez Karma, I think you scared away the business." Billy said, leaning his forearms on the window he placed orders on. Maybe you're bad Karma today."

"You've said that a hundred times, since I've worked here," I said without looking at him.

"Well do something good for once and I'll change it, how's that?"

I resisted replying to him. It wasn't about not giving him the satisfaction, but I knew he did it as part of his grouch persona he worked hard to keep up. He started to say something and I said, "Yes sir, sorry sir, don't beat me sir."

That got a few laughs from the regulars at the counter, but I was watching Joe saying something to Maria. She was leaning with one hand on the table, thrusting her hip up while pushing her chest out. Joe flashed the big easy smile that was always either on his face or looking as if it were about to be. He said something to her and gestured towards the counter.

Maria looked over at me and if looks could kill my ass would be six feet under. But when she looked back at him, she gave him a smile and nodded okay. Joe approached the counter and as he sat down, I walked over to begin our morning ritual.

"Must be nine," I said, "You wouldn't be here a minute before or after. So," I gave a mock sigh, "Whatever will it be today?"

"Hmm," Joe made a show of perusing the menu as if he were going to order something different. "Well now the special looks good; prime rib hash what do you think?"

"Nope, that's how Billy gets rid of the prime rib he doesn't sell for dinner the night before."

"Oh." He nodded, "Good looking out as you kids say. Well I guess that means I'll go with..." he closed the menu and laughed, "The sunrise special."

"Wow, you haven't had that since yesterday," turning I yelled, "Billy, Joe just ordered."

"Sunrise special coming up!" Billy shouted back.

"And to drink?" I raised my eyebrows.

"I think I'll have a cup of me, how's that?"

"Not funny today, or yesterday or a year ago." I told him, "You need new material or at least one other joke."

"Keep it up the joke will be your tip young lady." He said, his blue eyes twinkling, "So how's things?"

"Same as yesterday." I lied while pouring his coffee.

"You sure? You look tired." I'd barely finished filling his cup when he lifted it and took two swallows of the hot coffee as if it were cold water.

"Studying." Boy this lying thing was getting pretty easy.

"You sure," he lowered the cup and his eyes probed mine, "You look nervous and since when don't you have one of those things in your hair? I forgot what you call them."

"A scrunchi and I was in a hurry."

He'd raised his cup again and placing it back on the counter tapped it.

"Jeez Joe I've never seen anyone drink so much coffee so fast." I told him, refilling the cup.

"Guess I'm appropriately named," he grinned, "Now how about you tell me what's wrong?"

"Nothing at all." I said as my fingers found my locket and started rubbing it.

"Then why you rubbing your locket?"

"Huh?"

"You grab that whenever you seem nervous. In the world of poker it's called a tell, so fess up."

"Nothing really," I let the locket go, but my laugh sounded phony.

"School okay?"

"School's great." At least that was not a lie unless I totally tanked my finals in two weeks My GPA would be close to four.

"Orders up Karma." Billy hit the bell behind me, "Hey Joe, how's tricks?"

"I'm neither a magician nor a pimp, so I wouldn't know." Joe laughed at his own joke.

"Not a comedian either," Billy told him, "Good thing you don't have to be funny to count money."

"Or a chef to run a diner." Joe countered.

"Ouch," Billy laughed, "Good thing I already spit in your eggs."

"In this place I heard that's called seasoning!" one of the regulars called from down the counter.

"Funny," Billy muttered, "But you guys all keep coming back."

"We come for the ambiance," someone yelled.

"I come for the company," Joe winked at me, "And the view."

"I thought you came here cause you have OCD and can't change." I told him, but smiling nonetheless at the compliment.

"Views better over here." Maria said from the table behind Joe.

"Yeah, but everyone's seen it." Billy quipped causing half the diner to explode into laughter.

To avoid anymore jealousy on her part, I didn't look over to see the expression on her face. Instead I turned around and going to the window went to grab Joe's food. I knocked over a bottle of ketchup someone had left on the counter in front of it and bent over to grab it. Fortunately the lid was still on, but when I was picking it up, I looked into the metal fridge under the counter. In its reflection I could see Joe staring directly at my ass.

Or he seemed to be, I really didn't think he had any interest in me. For the hell of it, I stayed bent over pretending to fumble with something and moved my ass back and forth slightly. I saw him grin and felt myself start to flush; he really was checking me out. Apparently so was someone else "Hey Karma, pick something else up, that was the best show I've had in awhile."

lovecraft68
lovecraft68
22,226 Followers
123456...8