Kate Pt. 02

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here
MoogPlayer
MoogPlayer
1,935 Followers

However, as she was pulling the hammer back on her weapon, I threw two Shiriken stars, which caught her right on the hand holding her gun. She screamed, dropped the weapon, and before she had time to even move, I was on her, knocking her out with one punch...

"Are you alright?" I asked Kate, immediately taking her into my arms, "Stay right here while I call the police."

~~~~~~

While we were waiting for the police, Sara came through the front door, having been out with Nick Raymer. And after she entered the kitchen, she saw the two bodies that were lying in the floor unconscious.

"Holy shit, guys," she grinned, "What did I miss?"

I turned from Kate and was just about to explain everything that had happened when I heard Kate screaming, "LOOK OUT, MARK; SHE'S GOT A GUN!"

I turned just in time to see Madeline Linder on her knees, aiming my own weapon at me, as she evilly hissed, "Say goodbye; shithead."

But before I could react, I heard three consecutive shots ring our from behind me, as Madeline's chest exploded with each shot fired. After she hit the floor, I looked behind me to see Sara holding and FBI issue, Colt, .45 automatic pistol in her hands.

All of a sudden, the police stormed through the front door wearing tactical uniforms, which indicated that they were members of a SWAT Team.

"FREEZE," they yelled, aiming their assault rifles at Sara, "DROP YOUR WEAPON."

"Easy officers," Sara calmly replied, slowly reaching into her purse and withdrawing a badge and ID, "I'm undercover DEA, and I've been assigned to protect these people...

~~~~~~

"So, you're an undercover DEA Agent, huh?" I angrily asked, "I'll bet Sara Dawson isn't even your real name, is it?"

No, my real name is Julia Monahan," she softly replied, "And if it means anything; I'm very sorry, Mark."

"Please tell me that you're not a part of this, too, Kate," I asked, tears beginning to fill my eyes, and when she didn't reply, I knew I had my answer.

However, before I could continue, Kate grabbed my arm, and with tears raining down her face, cried, "I was at first, but then somewhere along the way I fell in love with you, Mark, I swear."

"Oh, really," I spat, "Was that before, or after we fucked," and again she went silent, not being able to look into my eyes.

"Uh huh...I'm going for a drive," I hatefully told the two of them, "And when I get back, I want both of you out of here, do you understand me?" and before they could reply, I turned and walked away.

~~~~~~

Chapter Five

Once again I found myself driving aimlessly around Nashville. I was not only in shock at what Kate had done, but because I was still somewhat numb, the pain hadn't yet begun to set in. However, I told myself right then and there, that I was not going to let myself get all upset about this. Hell, I should've known that Kate was full of shit the first time I met her for the very first time in the lobby of the building her mother's was in, when her true colors were showing...

~~~~~~

I decided to leave Nashville, Tennessee and never look back. After talking to Grams and apprising her of what all had happened, she was the one who suggested that I move back to Key West, Florida; the one place that I remember being the happiest.

I took two weeks to go down there and look for a place that I could either lease, or buy outright, somewhere that didn't have the memories that would surely haunt me if I'd stayed in Nashville....

~~~~~~

I found a nice place on Sunset Key Drive that was well within my price range; and after paying cash for the house, I told the realtor that I would be moving within the next three weeks. Of course she was very nice, asking me if there was anything else I might want done to the house before I arrived.

"Yes, I would," I cordially replied, "I want a twelve foot, privacy fence put around the entire property."

"No Problem, Mister Powers," she smiled, "I'll have it done before you get here..."

I'd hired some movers the moment I returned, taking only my clothing and my hand weapons out of the house, not wanting to remain in that house any longer than I absolutely had to; letting the movers take care of everything else...

~~~~~~

FOUR MONTHS LATER

I'd just returned from deep sea fishing with some friends, when my phone rang. It was my realtor in Nashville calling to let me know that my house had been sold, and that the money would be in my bank account within the next 48 hours. I thanked her for her time and wished her the very best of luck, hanging the phone up after ward...

~~~~~~

That afternoon I took a nice hot shower, leaving me feeling somewhat refreshed, until I heard my phone ring again.

"Hello," I answered.

"Hi, Marky," Tabitha said, on the other end, "How're you doing, cuz?"

"I still have some bad days," I wearily smiled, "But I'm getting better as each day passes."

"I'm glad to hear it, sweetie," she tenderly replied, "I've been very worried about you for a while now...so has Daddy."

"I'm okay, I suppose," I told her, "Speaking of you father, how is he?"

"He's wondering if you'll ever be able to forgive him," Tabitha began to cry, "He's really torn up about what happened, Mark, and I can't take seeing him like this anymore."

"Look, Tabs," I sighed, "Tell him that I understand the he was just doing his job, and I'm not mad at him. Hell, he's my blood just like you are."

"You tell him," she cried, "He's standing right here."

"Hi, Mark," I heard Uncle John say, "Can you ever forgive a stupid old man that turned his back on his only nephew?" and for the first time in my life, I heard my Uncle begin to cry, which tore at my heart worse than anything I'd ever felt before, "I'm really sorry, Mark, and it's killing me knowing that I've hurt you...I swear, I never meant for things to turn out the way they did. Please tell me that you forgive me, son," as he bitterly wept, "It's killing me, Mark...it really is."

"It's alright, Uncle John," I gently told him, "I'm over that shit. I'm the one who's sorry for turning my back on you when I should've trusted you...I'll tell you what. Why don't you and Tabs load up and come down here? I'll pay for the tickets," and by this time I could barely see my hand in front of my face for the tears that were clouding my eyes.

"That's the thing," Uncle John began to chuckled, still sniffling; "Tabitha and I are at the airport, here in Key West, I mean, your Grandmother told where you'd moved to, she just wouldn't give me anything other than your phone number."

"Some shit never changes, does it, you crafty old dog?" I laughed, "Take a cab to this address," and after I gave him my address, I hung up with a warm smile on my face, the first true and genuine smiled I'd worn in quite a while...

~~~~~~

"Wow, Marky," Tabitha teased, as I escorted her and Uncle John into my house, "If I'd known you lived in a house this nice; I would've come to see you a lot sooner."

"Come in," I smiled, hugging her, "There are two spare bedrooms. Take which ever one you want."

"Thanks, Mark," she sweetly replied, kissing my cheek, "You've always been such a sweetie."

"How're you doing, Uncle John," I smiled, hugging him and trying desperately not to let the tears that were in my eyes fall, "It's good to see you."

"You, too, kid," he replied, his voice faltering, "I've missed you..."

~~~~~~

That night after everyone had settled in, I grilled some steaks and lobster tails on the new gas grill I'd bought. Tabitha was kind enough to make a salad, and because I'd put them in the oven the moment my family arrived, I now had three hot, piping baked potatoes that were ready to serve the minute the food came off of the grill.

"Damn, Mark," Uncle John smiled, "Everything looks so good; I'm not really sure I'll be able to eat it all."

"Eat what you can," I happily grinned, "I'll put your left-overs in the refrigerator, and you can have it for breakfast."

"I'm glad you were able to bounce back, Mark," he sadly told me, "Doing shit like that was what I hated the most about my job."

"Why don't you quit?" I suggested, "Hell, Uncle John, I'm sure you've got enough time in to be able to retire, don't you?"

"It's funny you should say that," he knowingly smiled, "Because two and a half months ago, I did exactly that...I retired."

"I'm glad to hear it," I smiled, "How do you feel now?"

"Not too bad," he retrospectively told me, "At least I can stand to look at myself in the mirror these days."

"I'm glad to hear that," I smiled, patting him on the shoulder, "I really am."

"Aren't you gonna ask about Kate?" Tabitha quietly said, "Aren't you even the least bit curious as to how she's doing?"

"Not at all," I coldly replied, ""Her and Sara...I mean Julia, are probably right back in business again, pulling the wool over the eyes some other poor bastard, who, like me, was stupid enough to fall for their bullshit."

"Julia Monahan quit the agency right after the shit that went down at your house, Mark," Uncle John said, "Nobody knows where she is."

"Kate had a nervous breakdown the night you left, Mark," Tabs told me, "She just got out of a mental facility about a week ago, but I'm not real sure if she's going to make by herself."

"Is that why you're here?" I defensively replied, "Do you think I honestly care?"

"Yeah, I know you do," Tabitha sniffled, "I can tell that you still love her. It's written all over your face; and don't you dare try and deny it either."

Don't get me wrong," I told them, "I'm very happy that you two came to see me; but that's in the past, and that's exactly where I want to keep it," and then I arose from the table and walked out onto the back patio to hide the tears that began to flood my eyes.

After a moment, Tabitha came and stood beside me, wrapping her arm around my waist and laying her head on my shoulder, just like she used to do when we were little and I was upset about something.

"She still loves you, Mark," she softly told me, hugging me closely, "You still love her, too...I can feel it."

"Is that right?" I sadly asked, "And just how could you possibly know that, Tabs?"

"Because we've now each other all our lives, Mark," she gently replied, "We were so close growing up that I can tell when you're hurting...give her a second chance. You did it for me, and now I'm asking you to do the same for Kate, please?" as a lone tear slowly trickled down her pretty little cheek."

"I'm sorry, sweetie," I sniffled, "I just can't."

"Nobody is perfect, Mark," she told me, "Do you remember what you said to me after I got out of rehab, when I felt so bad for all the awful shit that I'd done when I was on drugs?"

"Not really," I lied, "At least I don't remember."

"We both know that you're lying, but I'll tell you anyway," she understandingly smiled, "You told me that everyone, regardless of who it is, deserves a second chance."

"I'm sorry, Tabs," I told her, trying and failing miserably to keep from crying, "I just can't. Please try to understand that."

"No, I can't understand," she said, turning to look me in the eyes, "You're going to have to tell me why, Mark."

"Because I'm afraid," I openly wept, "Are you happy now? I'm afraid."

"Shh," Tabitha gently soothed, taking me into her arms, "It's alright, sweetie...and it's okay to be afraid..."

~~~~~~

That night after everyone was asleep, I tossed and turned in my bed, not being able to shaker the thoughts of Kate, that were by now, racing through my mind, I had so many unanswered questions. "Was she okay...did she need anything?" and last but certainly not least, "What could I do to help her?"

Tabitha had been correct when she told me that I was still in love with Kate. Hell, ever since I moved back to Key West, there hadn't been a single night that I hadn't dreamed and/or thought of Kate. I guess that's why I was so devastated when she pulled the stunt she'd pulled in Nashville. I no longer cared why. The only thing I cared about was wondering if I was ever going to see her again, and because I knew that she was in trouble, I had no choice but to follow my heart...follow it back to Nashville, regardless of whatever the consequences were, if any, that might be awaiting me...

~~~~~~

The next morning over breakfast, I told Uncle John and my cousin, Tabitha, of the decision I'd arrived at the night before, and before I cold elaborate any further, Tabitha fell into happy tears, telling me, "You're making the right decision, Mark," she sniffled, "You won't be sorry you did this."

"You're the main reason I'm doing this, sweetheart," I earnestly smiled, kissing her cheek, "Thank you, Tabitha, for making my stubborn blind ass see the light."

"It's because you helped me when I was down, Mark," she sweetly replied, happy tears rolling down her pretty face, "But. You're welcome just the same."

They stayed for another two days, and then with happy smiles on both of their faces, I bid them goodbye at the departure gate of the airport...

~~~~~~

After catching the red-eye flight out of Miami the following evening, I had mixed feelings when my plane touched down in Nashville at five o'clock that morning. By the time I picked up my rental car, it was nearing seven am. I wanted to take enough time so as not to arrive at Carolyn's house, where Tabitha told me Kate was staying, too early. So; with that in mind, I took the time to eat a nice full breakfast before I drove to reclaim my destiny. I only hoped that she was going to be as happy to see me, as I had mixed emotions...

~~~~~~

AN HOUR LATER

It was almost nine o'clock in the morning when I pulled into Carolyn's driveway, slowly pulling up to her house. I got out of my rental car, and ten cautiously approached the front door. Imagine my surprise when Carolyn opened the front door before I had the chance to even knock.

"Mark," she softly wept, quickly opening the front door and pulling me into her arms, "I'm so glad you're here baby boy."

"How is she, Carolyn," I fearfully asked, "How is Kate?"

"I want to ask you something before I tell you anything," she softly replied, "Why are you here?"

"I'm dying inside, Carolyn," I began to weep, "I tried to stay away from her, but I just can't...I love her."

"She loves you, too, sweetie, she's never stopped loving you," Carolyn suddenly smiled, taking a piece of tissue and wiping my eyes, "I don't want her to know you've been crying when you see her so; come on in get yourself together...she finally went to sleep for the first time in a long time last night; and she's not up yet..."

~~~~~~

"I want you to know that Kate feels terrible about the way things happened," Carolyn softly spoke, as we sat at her kitchen table drinking coffee, "But the only reason she did what she did was because she was trying to protect me. She never expected to fall in love with you."

"She refused to answer a question that I asked her that night," I told Carolyn, "And that's why I left like I did."

"Yeah, I know; Kate told me everything," Carolyn said, "And, while I know that it might sound a little crazy, there's a reason why she couldn't give you the answer you wanted."

Okay," I slowly replied, "I'm really trying to understand, Carolyn, but if you want me to truly be able to understand, ten you're going to have to tell me what that reason was. I think I deserve to know at the very least."

"You're right, Mark," Carolyn began, "Katie was little when her father was killed so; once she got herself back together, she told herself that she had to be strong me, and remain that way regardless of the consequences to herself. I told her that it was nonsense and I assumed she would grow out of it," as she wiped her eyes, "But I was too busy trying to hide my own pain with my work that I never saw that she didn't; and so; here we are."

"Oh, my God, my poor Kate," I cried, tears of guilt rolling down my face once more, as my heart literally broke for her, "I can't begin to imagine how tough that must've been for Kate, especially being so young...Now I feel like a real horse's ass for not sticking around and giving her a chance to explain before I just walked away like some kind of coward."

"Aw. Mark, baby, please don't beat yourself up about this," Carolyn sweetly told me, tenderly wiping the tears from my eyes again, "I don't blame you or Katie. I blame the God damn DEA for filling her head with all the bullshit they told her about her Aunt Linda's husband so; if you want to blame someone, blame them."

All of a sudden I heard a voice behind me that I could never forget in a million years, softly whisper, "Mark? Mark is that you?"

I turned around to see my beautiful Kate standing there looking like she'd been fighting a losing battle, but those beautiful blue eyes of hers, which hadn't lost their affect on me, sparkling as brightly as they did the first time I ever saw her.

"Kate," I wept, rushing into her arms, pulling her tightly against me as she reciprocated, "Please forgive me, baby. I'm so sorry for everything I said that night."

"You were forgiven before you ever said them, my love," she wept, "Please tell me that I'm not dreaming again."

"Does this feel like a dream, baby?" I asked, and before she could reply, I gave her the deepest, most soul filling kiss I'd ever given, or she'd ever received.

"You're here, you're really here, Oh, my God," she cried. Then suddenly pushing me away from her to arms length, but not letting go of me, she cautiously asked, "Before this goes any further, I want to ask you why you're here?"

"Because I love you, Kate," I wept, "I tried to live without you, but I died a little every day I was away from you."

"Oh baby," she sniffled, quickly kissing my lips, "I fell apart the night you walked out of my life, and like you, I've been dying a little bit every day, too."

"Not any more," I told her, holding onto her as if she were going to suddenly disappear, "I'm never going to let go of you again...not ever..."

~~~~~~

Epilogue

After staying in Nashville for a few more days, I took Kate back to Key West with me. She and I were married less than six months later, and the best part of all was having everyone who loved us there with us on that day. We never heard from Julia Monahan again, but that still doesn't mean that we didn't forgive her, we did. Two years after we married, Kate presented me with an eight pound, six ounce baby girl who we named Lila, and like her father, was born right here in Key West..

I'm so thankful that Lila looks like Kate instead of me, because she is the most beautiful thing I've ever seen, almost as beautiful as her mother. That was twenty years ago, and today we sit in the audience watching our daughter walk across the stage to receive her high school diploma; and we couldn't be any more proud of her than we are now.

THE END

MoogPlayer
MoogPlayer
1,935 Followers