Kismet or Happenstance? Ch. 08

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

Ana blinked again.

She was still floating.

No wonder celebrities found pain pills so addictive. Maybe she should forget about filling the prescription.

"Ana."

The voice was real. Her momentary panic receded when she recognized the hallway in front of her apartment. She wasn't floating, she was being held. She looked up.

"Hey," he whispered down to her. Her sleepy, purring noises were adorable at first...until she started nuzzling his neck. It felt so damn good to have her this close again. He'd sat several minutes in the car waiting her for to wake up and savoring every second while things between them were simple. "We need to get you inside."

"Okay," she yawned then yelped when he moved to set her on her feet. Her face went ashen and she sucked in her breath. He'd hurt her; guilt stung him. Ana spoke as he muttered an apology. "You didn't hurt me. I'm sore." Her words came out in a dry rasp.

He studied her every move as they got inside her apartment. But the scratching and yipping grabbed his attention. Ana opened the gate on the blue crate parked next to her desk. A beige little dog came bounding out. "This is Car Dodger, Dodger for short—he's the reason my arm's in a sling," she cooed her reprimand to the giddy canine. It was the same stray Ana had fed that night when he knew he was on his way to falling in love with her.

"What about the pet deposit?"

"The Medusa necklace will cover most of it," she explained though her focus never left the shaggy mutt.

"Would you like me to walk him for you?" He could use the time to figure out how to go about fixing things between them. Ana still looked tired despite her nap. Maybe they should put off talking for another day.

Ana didn't hide her relief. "Yes. That would be great. Thank you."

Ana kicked off her shoes and freshened up in the bathroom. She studied the mirror; she didn't look all that bad. The bathroom clock said it was almost midnight. Should she ask Sean if he wanted to talk or put it off? She had the phone in hand ready to let Simon know she'd gotten home when she heard Sean's footsteps.

"How'd it go?" she prompted to fill in the quiet.

Sean grinned down at the wary Dodger, who suddenly turned happy again when he saw his mistress' fuzzy black slippers. "He definitely doesn't like being a leash."

"You'll get used it, won't you?" The furry beige tail swept the tiled kitchen floor.

"Thanks for bringing me home," she began, looking for a signal from him.

Just ask him!

Ana shifted on her feet, obviously the nap hadn't been enough. Maybe it was best he go so she could rest. He selfishly wanted everything fixed, all questions answered and behind them. But he'd have to be patient, the thing he'd failed to do and helped get them here.

"I'll call you tomorrow...and we can talk."

"Sounds good."

"Did you need anything before I leave?" he stalled.

You.

Ana pushed aside her disappointment. He said he'd call and offered to talk. That was a good—no, great first step.

"No, I'm good."

"All right," he said a little flatly. "Get some rest."

"I will...and thanks again."

He nodded back at her and opened the door. "Goodnight."

The air turned awkward.

"Goodnight and drive safe."

Ana looked through the peephole as Sean disappeared, she grabbed the phone and shuffled to the living room window in an effort to prolong his presence. She peeked through the bamboo slats waiting to see him drive off though not wanting him to go. While she waited, she realized she'd forgotten her cardigan in his SUV. Now she had a reason to phone him tomorrow if— No, he said he'd call. She frowned when no headlights illuminated the driveway below. What was taking so long? Dodger darted to the front door.

* * * * *

Sean made it down to the last step, convinced he'd done the right thing. He'd call Ana around noon, maybe suggest lunch and they'd settle everything. Until then he'd go home and try not to think how he should've been with her Thursday night at the hospital. He wouldn't think about her being alone in her apartment. He wouldn't worry if Ana needed something in middle of the night. He'd go to sleep and ignore the fact that someone should be looking after her, taking care of her. But what he couldn't do is leave when he'd forgotten to tell her the most important thing.

Sean bounded the steps two at a time. It took forever for the door to open, long enough to make him question what he'd say, yet too brief for him to come up with anything. There she was looking at him with a mix of surprise, hope and confusion in her brown eyes as she and her canine guardian backed into the foyer.

"Did you forget something?"

His arms folded around her while she spoke.

"Yeah. This."

Ana's good arm didn't hesitate in finding its home around his waist.

There was no need for measured, fancy words. He didn't have any, not when Ana was this close again. Sean simply spoke from his heart. "I'm sorry," he murmured into her hair.

The door slammed shut.