Kismet or Happenstance? Ch. 10

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

They filtered back to something close to normal one breath at a time. Even nestled on the pillow, Sean's head felt like a brick, his limbs were boneless. He shifted, trying to spare Ana his weight but sank back onto her. He moved again but her arms and legs folded around him. "Stay."

"Too heavy."

"Uh-uhn."

Sean pressed the smile her stubbornness caused to her cheek and lifted his head. He caught her face in his hands. He took in her soft, sleepy eyes and her lips, reddened from his kisses. He put that flush of pleasure on her skin. His pride soared. He reached to touch the curls draped across the pillow. To think there was a time when he wondered if he'd find love to be too quiet. But sharing his life with Ana was his greatest adventure. She grounded him and expanded his world at once. He opened his mouth just as she turned her head to kiss the inside of his hand. Marry me.

But he had no a ring, had no special moment planned. Ana deserved both.

"What?"

"I love you." Somehow those words fell short.

Ana touched her mouth to his shoulder, his neck, and his jaw before she echoed his words. Then she found his mouth. They were still kissing when he rolled over with her. He dragged the sheet over them and relaxed while he stroked her back. They fell asleep perfectly exhausted in each other's arms.

* * * * * *

Ana and Sean rented a Jeep and spent half a day a day exploring the island's unique sights, sounds and tastes along the winding Hanna highway. Balmy breezes and sunshine teased their faces. The road lead them along rainforests and ocean views while sharp turns and one lane bridges added another kind of drama. They stopped to snap pictures of the gorgeous landscape then drove on to snorkel at a black sand beach. Other days they drifted into markets where conversations in the native tongue sounded more like song than language.

The subtle scent of nature was everywhere and hard to miss especially on the afternoon they hiked through a forest of bamboo. Curved paths led to a series of waterfalls with heights for the dare devils and the more cautious thrill seekers in the tour group. They started at the tallest descent before they worked their way down. Every leap off the rocks was a rush that had to be repeated. For Sean, the sight of Ana swinging through the air, squealing with delight before she let go of the rope was as fun as doing it himself.

They splashed around and laughed like children in the dark pools nestled within the jungle of trees and birdsongs. Then they snuck off to a secluded spot and made love under a banyan tree—Ana's idea, one she had no trouble convincing him to try after she knelt at his feet. The next night they attended a luau and got swept away in the sensuality of the ancient dance. They never made it to the bed when they returned to their rented cottage.

But all the things they'd seen and done in this paradise didn't compare to the splendor of watching the sunset from Haleakala Mountain. Though sunrise was just as spectacular, there was less of a crowd at this hour.

Ana stood still in front of Sean, her fingers glued to his wrists while he looped his arms below her sweater. Amber clouds stretched out before them in a sea of undulating waves. They were so close it seemed like everyone on the mountain could walk out and touch the sun. A gentle applause broke out as the sun disappeared beneath the clouds and set the sky in a fiery glow. The shiver that ran down Ana's arm had little to do with the crisp, chilly air.

"I'll never forget this," she whispered so as not to disturb the moment's reverence.

Sean's cheek brushed hers; he sounded as solemn as she did when he said, "Me neither."

A mix of euphoria and adrenaline hit his system. Instinct took over. Sean turned Ana to face him.

"Marry me." The words were out when he realized that it sounded like a demand and not a proposal. "Will you marry me, Ana?" He should have done it on bended knee; on his way down he remembered...no ring.

Dammit. This was the most important moment in their lives and he was botching it up.

"I-I don't have your ring yet...."

Ana reached for Sean's hands as he stood up. "It's you I'm marrying, not some piece of jewelry."

"Is that a yes?"

That flicker of vulnerability in those blue eyes she adored made the first happy tears fall.

"Yes! Yes!" She wrapped her arms around his neck tight as he lifted her off the ground. This moment was a million times more glorious than the one she just witnessed, better than her daydreams ever conjured.

Applause broke out again.

Sean and Ana found they had an audience of smiling and curious faces. Members of their tour group offered congratulations and took pictures so the newly engaged couple had a record of their special moment. Thousands of stars dotted the sky, becoming brighter with every passing second as though Mother Nature had gradually turned on the light inside them.

They hardly slept that night.

* * * * *

Vacation withdrawal wasn't an option when they'd been sitting on a secret for two days. With their senses revived, Sean and Ana packed their clothes and souvenirs, touched down after sunrise and knocked on Duncan's door. Ana's pent up excitement built to tedious levels during the question / answer session about the trip. She lavished five days worth of back scratches and belly rubs on Dodger in part to soothe herself.

"I have another favor to ask," Sean said in the most offhanded manner. Finally. Ana's gaze locked on Duncan. "What do you say about being my best man?"

Duncan searched Ana's face for confirmation. The second she nodded, he enveloped Sean in a rough, hearty hug only brothers could share. When it was Ana's turn, he held her like a doll and kissed her cheek. "Welcome to the family!" He picked her up to make it official. "You better marry her quick before she comes to her senses."

"I should have asked you instead," Sean told Dodger who wanted to give and get more love.

They chatted with Duncan over celebratory bowls of Cheerios and pulled out the digital camera. They told him about the fun detour they'd taken thanks to four stubborn cows in the picture.

It wasn't until mid-morning that Duncan walked them to the driveway where another round of hugs and congratulations took place.

"It's good seeing you this happy," Duncan said as he clapped Sean's back. His eyes glinted with a mix of humor and seriousness when he turned to Ana. "The pressure's going to be on you two to have the first boy."

"We've got to practice first—" Sean quipped and sent Ana a meaningful look. "—a lot."

The harder Ana tried not to blush, the less it worked. In the end, Ana embraced her embarrassment and hugged her future brother-in-law goodbye. But she wouldn't let Sean get away with teasing her. "Lucky for you, I'm a good teacher."

"Oh, yeah," said Duncan, "you've met your match

Ana relived the past days again, this time during a three-way call with Sasha and Michelle. She delivered her happy news to her dad and Gwen after she'd left messages for her girls to call back for a phone conference. She couldn't bear to tell them any different. It was as close as to how it she'd have told them had they all still been living in the same zip code.

Sasha was the first to speak. "See? I told you he was going to propose!" she told Michelle. Sasha had taken Michelle's spot as love's head cheerleader.

"Were you shocked?" Michelle asked.

"I didn't think it would happen this soon."

"You have to promise us one thing," Sasha demanded.

"What?"

"No fugly bridesmaids dresses!"

They laughed and plotted until Ana wished she could yank her friends through the phone and into her den. It wasn't until she'd hung up that Ana remembered email. She turned on the computer and checked the messages that came in since she handed off her Blackberry.

"Sean! Sean!"

The crack in Ana's voice sent chills down his spine. Sean bolted down the hallway; Dodger followed with his tail drooped. He found her standing in the middle of the den. "Baby, what is it?" he asked as he checked her over. She was trembling when he pulled her to him. "What's wrong?"

"It's her." The words were more breath than sound.

He followed her gaze to the computer screen.

"She gave me her phone number," Ana whispered into his shirt. Her voice carried three years of questions, dead ends and hope. Sean rocked her in his arms while relief, joy and shock fell down her cheeks. He felt all those things with her, felt grateful that he was here for her.

"Do you think I should wait to call her?"

"What do you want to do?"

"I feel like I'm going to throw up."

Sean sat and placed her on his lap. He rubbed her back, arms and shoulders, soothing her as if she were a child. "Better?"

The gust of nerves in her stomach and the shaky feeling hadn't subsided but having him here made it better so Ana nodded a half-truth. But Sean knew her too well to buy it.

"Come here."

She settled onto his chest and as though he read her mind he asked, "Do you want me to dial the number?"

She held his hand and he never let go while she spoke to Lisa Dunham.

* * * * *

July 2008

Ana checked the contents of the picnic basket again and let the lid drop. "All set."

The destination was familiar. They drove out to the beach whenever they wanted a break or needed to reconnect. Sometimes they took off for no reason other than the beach itself. But today was special. It was two years ago that Ana got lost in traffic and ended up where she was meant to be all along.

When they weren't playing the canine version of tag 'n run across the sand, Sean and Ana held hands while the water lapped at their feet. Their plan: find a good spot, enjoy a simple feast and unwind before their night on the town. The softened volume on the medley of voices, music and laughter around them marked the end of the afternoon. The energy and motion on the sand got calmer, the waves grew louder.

Ana sat on the blanket, her knees drawn up and bracketed by Sean's. She stared at the ring on her left hand. The ring had a timeless elegance; the vivid yellow perfect for a woman who loved whimsy. The diamonds came alive under the sunlight, doing a fiery dance around yellow sapphire. Sean had chosen it because it was her birthstone. Its color always led her back to that sunset on Haleakala...just as he'd hoped.

She wiggled her fingers, not used to its delicate weight and still in awe of what it meant. While Sean's first proposal was dreamlike and spontaneous, the second one made it all more...real.

There was no fancy restaurant or choreographed program. It was the two of them making a pledge for everyday and it would take them into the future. While that sunset in Maui had been etched in her memory, Ana cherished the fact that she only had to step on her porch to relive that moment when Sean pulled the ring from under his place mat and slid his promises down her finger.

Sean kissed her shoulder. "We better head out." He didn't sound convinced, neither did she when she said, "Yeah." Ana laced her fingers around his to keep him in place.

They drew out every second to make it last until the next visit. Her mind skipped ahead to the days they'd each hold onto their toddler's hand and watch tiny feet touch the ocean for the first time. Maybe they'd have a boy first.

But someone would be missing. Always.

Bittersweet realization washed over her.

"What is it?"

"I wish she were here—" She pressed her palm to her wet nose. "—to see everything."

"I know."

Sean molded his body to hers and laid his right hand above her heartbeat. It was a gentle reminder her of what she knew, one that comforted her. Ana twisted around and squeezed his thigh to let him know she understood. They packed up the remnants of their picnic and coaxed Dodger onto his leash. A soft breeze blew, nudging Ana's fingers into Sean's outstretched hand just as she reached out to take it. It felt like a familiar touch and a blessing. She paused to draw in every nuance of that feeling before she looked up at him.

He touched the tip of her nose then kissed her dimple. "Ready?"

"Yes, let's go home."