Kita'thalla Ch. 11

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here
Bowoodstock
Bowoodstock
1,750 Followers

Enough of that though. The arbitrators had signaled their readiness, and the large crowd present was completely silent. Turning to her opponent, she saluted, noting that his cocky attitude had resurfaced as he returned it rather short. Assuming a neutral fighting stance with claws still sheathed, she waited for the signal to begin, taking a moment to focus as she mentally prepared for the fight ahead of her.

"Begin!" the five arbitrators yelled as one.

Looking across the ring, she saw that Turvan hadn't even taken up a stance. He crossed his arms, a smug grin on his face as he walked a wide circle around her. She eyed him warily, shifting so that he was never out of her gaze.

"Kita'tha" he mused, shaking his head condescendingly as he continued to pace. "I don't know why you had to go and pull a stunt like this. Was it really worth it? To come out here just to be stripped, beaten and humilated? And what for?" he said, his voice low so that it could only be clearly heard by her.

She didn't reply, still watching his movements carefully.

"So serious..." he laughed softly after a few more moments of silence. "So, it's all about your father is it? Well, I'll make you a deal." he said, stopping suddenly. "I can make this much easier for you. Oh, we obviously have to make this look convincing. But you know the traditions of Last Hunt. Make things easy for me, and I promise not to...overdo my part in things. And just to show my appreciation for your cooperation..." he drawled, once again allowing his eyes to roam the hard curves of her body. "I could arrange for the release of your father. Oh yes." he said, softly laughing again as her eyes went wide. "It's within my power. Or rather, will be once I'm Executor. Think of it as a betrothal gift. It would be a shame for our offspring to miss out on the wisdom of a warrior such as Jatal."

"Do not speak his name so casually." she replied, her voice low and dangerous.

"My apologies.." he said offhandedly. "So, what will it be?"

"Less talk. Don't forget what we're here for." she said, a slight smile curving at the side of her mouth.

"Heh...suit yourself." Turvan scoffed. Suddenly he lunged, throwing his entire body weight behind his fist as he wound up for a knockout punch. A blur of movement and a resounding crack echoed across the chamber, eliciting gasps from the crowd.

Turvan spun completely around mid-air before crashing to the floor. Struggling to his knees, he clutched the side of his face as his vision danced. Finally coming to focus, he wondered why it was so quiet before realizing the ringing in his ears was drowning out the sound of the crowd. Turning, he saw Kita'tha, still balanced on one foot after the vicious kick that had caught him clear across the side of his face, her other leg still in a high knee block.

"You...you..." he stammered, unstable as he staggered to his feet. "How did..."

The next thing he knew he had the wind knocked out of him as she moved faster than he thought possible, delivering an elbow to his stomach. The heel of her palm snapped his head back as it connected with his lower jaw, a sweep of her leg knocked his feet out from under him, and she helped him back to the floor with another elbow downward into his chest.

Kita'tha took a few steps back, still in a combat stance. She hadn't unsheathed her claws, and he was already in trouble. Steady, she told herself, getting cocky would only have her winding up like Turvan was now. Honestly, she wanted to pummel him until he stopped moving, but she had to let him recover before striking again. There had to be no doubt by anyone watching that she'd beaten him. Attacking him while he was on the ground like this would be considered somewhat underhanded, and would call doubt upon her ability as a fighter if she had to resort to hitting her opponent while he was down. Looking around the chamber, she fought back a grin as she saw the look on Duran's face. Now THAT made this worth it. The arbitrators however, in contrast to the noisy crowd, were all stony silent. None of them had intervened.

The etiquette of a duel was somewhat complicated. Among other rules (which she'd studied intensely so as not to break any) there was the practice of escalation. Regardless of what weapons were used, the fighters always started bare-handed with claws sheathed, as they were regarded as weapons in their own way. It was considered a crushing defeat if a competitor was disabled before even these had been exposed. Yet, at the same time, it was considered an admission of weakness to be the first to unsheathe a weapon, whether it be claw or blade. So there was a balance to be had. In many cases a gracious fighter would unsheathe their claws even as they were winning, and allow their opponent to do the same, if only to save them the shame of losing to a bare handed opponent. That being said...she wasn't in a gracious mood right now.

In all likely hood though, the arbitrators were waiting for him to draw his "weapons", as this would force her to use her own. It hadn't surprised her at all that the Prime Elder had selected others that were part of his coup as arbitrators. If they had to declare her the victor, they'd probably delay it until the fight became armed, and save him the shame of a bare handed loss. She suspected she'd have to beat him into the dust before they'd call a win on her part. She'd have to be careful though, once he did start using his claws and fangs that would make the fight much more dangerous.

There, he was standing up again. This time it appeared that he'd taken the time to focus himself while he was down, as he was much more stable on his feet. The look he shot across the floor at her was one of utter rage as he sized her up again.

"You...you bitch..." he growled at her. "You're going to pay for that."

This time he actually guarded himself as he attacked. Had he attacked like this from the start, the heavy kick she'd opened with never would have been feasible. Of course, she had plenty of other ways to get the job done. He was stronger than her, but not by much, not enough to gain an advantage over her. On top of that, she was far quicker. She took a moment to analyze his attacks as she evaded or parried every strike against her. He was by no means an amateur fighter, but was clearly out of practice. She imagined he was used to his strength being enough to get the job done.

But here it was his downfall. As he grew more and more infuriated as each blow failed to connect, he was becoming reckless again. Ducking under a particularly heavy punch she grabbed his wrist, and using his momentum she pulled him off balance, sending him stumbling. Regaining his balance, he spun around. The next thing he knew, he had a split second view of her foot arcing toward his face before his vision exploded into multi-colored stars, and he yet again found himself on the ground.

Standing back a few paces, she watched as he yet again struggled to his feet, clutching his left eye. She smirked, knowing that it would probably be turning a very interesting color by tomorrow. Even if she did enough damage to activate his healing splicing, there would be enough bleeding inside for a very nice bruise to form. As he finally faced her, blinking profusely as he tried to make the injured eye focus, he let out a snarl before baring his claws and once again going on the attack.

She'd bared her own by the time he reached her. This of course was an entirely different duel now. Blocks and parries had to be stronger and more precise, dodges had to be quicker, as even glancing blows could cause injury. Unlike a blade, which increased both offensive and defensive capability, claws increased reach and damage potential, but there was no significant increase in defense. Also, the use of claws also meant that fangs were fair game now, a weapon that he naturally had an advantage with. So it was imperative that she never gave him a chance to use them.

She danced away from the first few swipes, keeping her distance to avoid being grappled. This also put her out of upper claw range, which would force him to kick if he wanted to hit her. And when that happened....there. Ducking under a round kick aimed at her face, she darted forward, jabbing the claws on her left hand into his side, drawing a grunt of pain from him as blood spurted out of the four puncture wounds. The claws on her other hand drew out four bloody tracks as she raked them across his abdomen. Using her momentum, she spun around, her left leg hooking around in an arc towards his face, claws outstretched to slash across his....

"HOLD!"

The sudden shout nearly caused her to topple off balance as she halted the swing of her leg, bringing it down to regain her balance. The five arbitrators were now advancing toward the center of the ring, ceremonial war blades drawn. Either they had reached a decision, or some rule had been broken. A hush descended across the crowd as the five elders stopped, surrounding the duo. After what seemed like an eternity, one of them stepped forward, placing himself directly in front of her. Icy blue eyes regarded her for a few moments before he lifted his blade and held it out before him, one hand on the grip, the other supporting its length midway.

"N..No..." she heard a sputtering voice behind her. Still at a loss for words, she turned to see Turvan clutching the wound on his side, his mouth grasping for words as he comprehended what was going on.

"Our decision has been made." the one with the icy eyes said in a calm clear voice that was audible to everyone in the chamber, the weapon still held out to her. "As five may come together to form a fist that strikes judgment, we five have come together to make ours. I am Elder Niko, and I declare the challenger the victor."

"I am Elder Salluk" said the next elder, a massive old warrior with a scar crossing the left side of his face. "And I declare the challenger the victor"

One by one, the remaining three stepped forward, all making the same proclamation.

"On what grounds!" a shout came from outside of the ring. Kita'tha looked up to see the Prime Elder fuming, his claws digging into the wood of the lectern in front of him "The fight has barely begun!".

The icy blue eyes of Elder Niko shifted upwards to meet his glare. "Surely, you should be grateful we made our decision so fast. Had we delayed, the defender might have lost more than his title."

"Indeed" Elder Salluk rumbled, stepping forward. "It is our judgment that a fatal blow was imminent, and as the terms of the challenge issued did not state death as a demand, the duel had to be called. Besides, I believe your son's ass was damaging our council chamber floor." He grinned at the look of outrage crossing the Prime Elder's face. "It pained me to see it treated so."

Kita'tha blinked. That last kick...she glanced at the way Turvan was clutching his side. If he'd dropped his guard after that wound, the claws on her foot would have been destined for his neck. Even the healing splicing couldn't save someone whose main neck artery had been severed.

"You...you can't seriously..." everyone's attention shifted back to Turvan, whose mannerisms suggested his mind had been unhinged. His gaze flicked between Kita'tha, the elders, and the weapon that Niko held out to her. "That's my blade..." he stepped forward, reaching out with his other hand to the weapon. In a blur of movement, the blades of the three remaining elders were suddenly in front of him, blocking his advance towards her and Elder Niko. Turvan stopped, blinking at the razor sharp metal crossed in front of him before sensing a large presence behind him. Turning around, he balked as the immense form of Elder Salluk loomed over him.

"Not any more it isn't" Salluk growled, displaying fangs the size of daggers. "Correct me if I'm wrong, but it was bestowed as an honor for the Executor of Ketra. Seeing as you no longer deserve that title, it is clear you no longer deserve the blade."

"It's a cadre heirloom..." Turvan started to whine, but immediately went silent as Salluk tightened his grip on his own weapon.

"After the way you have disrespected it, I dare say it would long for a new home" the cold voice of Niko pierced the air, matching his glare. Turvan quailed, taking one last glance at the hard metal surrounding him before dashing away from the gathering, almost running into Salluk in his haste. Shaking his head in disappointment and turning his gaze back to Kita'tha, Niko tilted his head towards her, beckoning that she take the weapon.

Kita'tha stared at it, suddenly realizing that Niko still wore his own blade on his back, and the weapon held before her was the one Turvan had so callously discarded. Hands trembling, she reached out to take the mighty two handed weapon. While it had the same shape as a normal war blade, there was no comparison to the ceremonial weapons carried by guards. The curved blade had a bluish sheen to it, proof of the quality of it's forging, and fine etchings ran along the entire length of the blade. Despite its weight, it was perfectly balanced as she held it in one hand.

Elder Niko spoke again. "Before all present, and in the rights given to me as an Elder of our people, I declare that this Ketral has proven her worthiness as a warrior. Henceforth, she has earned the right to be known as Kita'tha Tekalla Oreth Shas'el Ko Ketrali!" Drawing his own weapon, he spun it in a full circle in front of him before planting it tip first on the ground with both hands on the pommel, a salute to the victor. One after the other, the remaining elders mirrored his gesture. A few nervous roars of salute came from the audience, though most were shocked into silence.

She'd won. Despite the circle of Elders saluting her, the stunned crowd, the weapon in her hands, she was having a hard time believing it. Over 20 ket of training, and it was over that quickly? It was unreal. And the arbitrators, they'd supported her. That was something she hadn't counted on. Especially Niko, a member of Turvan's own cadre! Hadn't these been the same Ketrals that had supported the current Prime Elder, assisted in the coup that had resulted in her mother's death? And also, the Prime Elder had been silent this entire time. An uneasy feeling crept up her back as she noticed Turvan up on the Elder podium, whispering to his father. The look of seething rage on the face of the Prime Elder was being replaced by a very cruel look of vengeance. He was still angry enough, however, to backhand Turvan across the face hard enough to send him sprawling down the stairs of the podium

"ENOUGH!" he yelled, slamming his fist on the lectern, surveying the scene on the chamber floor. Out of the corner of his eyes, he saw guards rushing to finally turn off the blasted recorders. About time. Someone was going to pay for letting them go that long. For now though, his rage was centered on the still naked female standing in the center of the floor.

"So...you've won." he growled down at her. "Congratulations, I suppose. But this doesn't change the fact that you are a criminal."

Suddenly Kita'tha found her voice again. "The challenge was heard!" she yelled back at him. "The terms must be met!" Privately she suddenly struggled to contain her stomach. She had a bad feeling about this.

"They will be met, yes." he replied, an evil grin crossing his face. "So, by the power invested in me as Prime Elder, I bestow the title of Executor up on you. And, your father, he will be released from prison."

She blinked in surprise. That had been too easy. Why was he glowering like that?

"Now, as to the matter of your crimes..." he continued. "First, you have committed trespass on the venerated ground of the War Council prior to earning your warrior's name. Second, proceeding this trespass, you have earned your warriors name, which as you know, is now forbidden to those of the female gender. And third..." he smirked maliciously, "Treason. The support of a known dissenter, one Elder Jatal who would seek to topple the current lawful government."

Kita'tha trembled, a combination of rage and fear rushing through her. The ancestors would roll in their graves if they'd witnessed this bastardized twisting of Ketrali law. A challenger was ordinarily entitled to demand anything, even the release of a prisoner, no matter the crime committed. And the first two charges... The outrage of the hypocrisy showed on the faces of the five elders surrounding her, and even a few members of the crowd were making their disagreement known. And yet, a sinking feeling in her stomach told her there wasn't much she could do as the majority of the Elders sitting on the podium remained resigned in silence. On top of that, more guards were now filing into the chamber, weapons at the ready.

"With the crimes thus laid out" he announced, gleefully noting the scores of loyal guards that were now present. "it is my declaration that you are lacking in the honor necessary for the position of Executor, thus I motion that this title be stripped from the offender. The council will now vote on the matter."

Turning to those seated behind him, he watched as a unanimous agreement was made throughout the remaining elders, ignoring the five opposing votes from the chamber floor. He'd deal with them later. He imagined there were a few more loyalists to the old Matriarch present as well, but they would make themselves known in time.

"The council has made it's decision." he called out, turning back to the crowd. "We hereby decree that the title of Executor be stripped from the offender. It is also my judgment that additional measures must be taken in this matter seeing as a multitude of crimes have been committed. As such..."

"I shall deliver the sentence" the voice of Elder Niko came from the floor.

Duran's gaze snapped to to the defiant elder. "You are in no position to pass sentence, you traitorous cur!"

Strangely enough, Niko smiled, an odd look for someone as grim as he was. "Ironic coming from one such as you. But if you recall, our ancient laws allow the arbitrator of an honor duel to pass sentence on a challenger who has been found unworthy due to transgressions that have taken place in the process of the duel, as the dishonor occurred during the jurisdiction of said judge. I believe there can be no dispute that this has occurred, as you have already proclaimed the crimes to be."

Duran was only able to glare at the offending elder. His takeover of the government had relied on the support of many of the Elders behind him. The vote just moments ago had shown that despite the five upstarts on the floor below, he still had much of that support, and was still the one in power. He wasn't above bending the rules and laws of Ketra to gain what he wanted either. However, a blatant breach of ancient law could easily lose him that power in the eyes of several behind him, enough to tip the balance of power. Still, there was something that Niko had failed to mention.

"That may be true..." he growled back, "But the ancient laws also say that such a sentencing may only be that of the maximum penalty, in order to prevent favoritism from impeding the delivery of justice."

In all honesty Duran wasn't sure what was going on. After such a show of defiance, why was Niko suddenly taking this course of action? The blue eyed elder was well enough versed in Ketrali law that he couldn't have forgotten that part of the law. And the other four elders on the floor didn't seem to show any shock either. Well...who was he to argue? If this was the case, it would remove the annoying little slut permanently.

"I am aware of that." Niko replied. "And I am prepared to give this sentence."

Kita'tha had been silent as she watched the play of politics before her. The battle taking place on the council floor was of an entirely different kind, not one that she had prepared for, and most of the verbal sparring had left her speechless. She was surprised that she had been able to speak the few times it had been required. Upon hearing Niko's declaration of sentencing however, it was impossible for her not to react.

Bowoodstock
Bowoodstock
1,750 Followers