Knights of the Round Ch. 02

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

Some moments later, nine uniformed patrol officers went out to their cars. Four pairs of officers got into their cruisers, and the ninth into the backseat of a cruiser. They pulled out, going in different directions. At some point on their patrol, that ninth officer was let out of the backseat of the vehicle, and he disappeared amongst the crowds...

* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *

Tuesday morning, November 29th. Captain Teresa Croyle went into the Old Mill, the 2d Precinct Headquarters. She was escorted to a large conference room on the right side of the building, on the second floor. All of the Precinct Captains and Lieutenants, and some Sergeants also, were already there.

As she came in, she noticed that the conference table was round. The chairs for everyone else were simple folding metal chairs, but the chair meant for her was a large wooden chair like a dining room table chair, with armrests and a cushion, and wrapped up in gold crêpe paper.

"Behold your throne, Queen Guinevere!" said Sergeant Rudistan, being very mischievous.

"Ah, the Round Table." said Teresa, not showing that she was fazed a bit. "You know why I like having a round table, Sergeant Rudistan?"

"Uh, no ma'am." said Rudistan.

"Because I can't be cornered." Teresa replied. There was polite ass-kissing laughter at the bad joke. Teresa sat down in the throne chair, wincing a bit.

"Something wrong, ma'am?" asked Precinct Captain Damien Thompson of Precinct 2.

"No, not really." said Teresa, willing her face to mask the pain she'd just felt. "Okay, folks, we've got a lot to do. You guys have put together a great plan for reducing us from three Precincts to two, and the Commander has approved it. He also sends his congratulations to you for your work on it, and in making this happen. So it's pretty straightforward. We'll begin reassigning people after Orange Order Day and the Policeman's Ball this weekend. By January 1st, we'll already be operating as if there are only two Precincts."

"Our only other big issue," said Captain Croyle, "is the seminar by 'The Vision' at the Civic Center the week after Christmas. We are working with The Vision's security people on the arrangements. And the reason we the TCPD have arrangements for this in the first place is what I'm about to tell you... which is not to leave this room for the time being: Dr. P. Harvey Eckhart himself is going to personally teach this seminar, and that is going to be a big deal. So... it shouldn't be any worse than a football game, but be ready for it."

Part 8 - Knights of Orange

Thursday, December 1st. After giving Helena a bouquet of roses for being the keeper of the Ballot Box, Cindy and I took it under two man control to the Cop Bar, where we had the back room reserved. The twenty Members of the Orange Order were already there, as was the most powerful person in the County... the Intendent, Mrs. Peabody.

(Author's note: the full process is detailed in 'Calm Before The Storm, Ch. 02'.)

Cindy and I relinquished the boxes, and Mrs. Peabody and Corporal Kirkpatrick counted the ballots. When it was over, the members of the Inner Circle came over and examined them, then the announcement was made to the full Membership. There was applause at the results.

Then Chief Griswold got up and said "As you know, this is my last rodeo with you guys. I'm relinquishing my place in the Inner Circle. It has been a great honor to be a part of this wonderful honorary organization, and an even greater honor to have served with you." The gathering applauded the old Chief warmly.

Then Corporal Kirkpatrick said "Would the Inner Circle please form a circle in the middle, and the rest of the members form a circle outside them." As we did so, Kirkpatrick got out the robes and a lantern with orange glass. He walked between the circles, going around three times, and then stopped...

... in front of Captain Cindy Ross.

"Captain Ross," said Kirkpatrick formally, "if you accept the responsibilities and rewards of being a member of the Orange Order Inner Circle, signify so by taking this lantern." Cindy took the lantern.

The rest of the Membership was dismissed as the Inner Circle commenced with the rites of inducting Cindy into our ranks.

* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *

Friday, December 2d. Orange Order Day.

Chief Griswold was in MCD at 7:00am to join our coffee klatch. He was dressed in his standard dark blue uniform, with his 'Retired' badge over his left pocket, his eagle-and-arrows 'bird colonel' ranks on his shoulders, and his nametag. Nothing else. I was second to arrive in MCD, wearing only my badge and nametag and ranks... no rectangles for the MOV, DSM, or Purple Order. Instead of the twin rows of light blue piping, I had twin rows of barely visible black piping on my pants legs. It was as standard as one could get.

"Oh, let me get a picture!" squealed Joanne Warner when she came in and saw me and the Chief. As more and more Officers trickled in, more pictures were taken.

* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *

"Ready to lead our initiates tonight?" I asked Cindy in my office at 2:00pm. "Did you drink a lot of beer as Chief Griswold told you to?"

"I may have indulged in an extra bottle." Cindy said, smiling. Just then there was a knock on my door. Cindy opened it, and Lt. (Ret.) Tanya Perlman drove in, followed by Auxiliary Detective Phyllis Troy, both in standard 'Orange Order' uniform. Tanya was wearing her 'Retired' badge and her ranks, of course.

"Hello everyone." said Phyllis. "As you know, we Auxiliary officers will be manning the desks and doing some patrols while the Police Force goes through the Orange Order procedures today. And since we'll need some adult supervision, I asked Lt. Perlman to provide that supervision."

"An excellent idea, Mom." I said.

"So," Tanya said, "any solutions to the Holden murder yet?"

"Not yet." I said as we settled down to talk. "I've got some feelers out, and I've asked the Mouseketeers to get some data for me-------"

"Did someone say 'Mouseketeers'?" asked Mary Mahoney Milton, letting herself into my office without knocking.

"M-O-U-S-E!" sang Cindy Ross.

"Okay, Mary," I said, "you can talk in front of everyone here. Just mind the cuss words in front of my mom."

"Like that ever stopped you, son." my mother replied. Everyone else laughed. I just shrugged.

Mary said "We've been working on that group 'Citizens for Police Accountability', sir. Jay Swenson is a lawyer, and has made a career of working with groups that are connected to the political Left. He last worked with a group called the 'Women's Action Network', and has done work for the State Organization for Women, the 'SOWs'. He's considered to be a pretty slimy lawyer, uses questionable tactics to trick people into being compromised. He was censured by the State Bar of the State east of us, but otherwise has kept his nose officially clean."

"Ken Eidex, though," continued Mary, "is a real creep. He's overweight and overbearing. He claims to be a lawyer, but I can't find a college law degree awarded to him, nor has he been admitted to any State Bar. He's often a spokesperson for political groups, more like a Union rep than a lawyer, though."

"Any anti-Police activities by either of them in the past?" I asked.

"Jay Swenson has sued Police around this State and the one to the east on behalf of clients who claimed Police brutality upon them." said Mary. "He also has worked in cooperation with Chase, Lynch & Berry, the law firm that takes pride in hating the Police, on a number of cases. Ken Eidex has no record with the Police, but has led demonstrations against them. Word from FBI sources is that he tries to put himself into a position of seeming leadership of a group, but nobody really follows him, especially when the chips are down. He's a con man, essentially, but otherwise considered harmless. Jay Swenson is considered the greater threat."

"Good work." I said. "Okay, everyone find a place to be for the Orange Order initiation. Mom, Tanya, I think the Chief wants you to stop by his office...

* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *

"Ah, I'm glad you could join us to-day, Lieutenant Perlman." said Chief Moynahan as Tanya settled her wheelchair in front of his desk. My mom had dropped Tanya off then returned to my office. "How are things in the State Crime Lab?

"Oh, pretty good." said Tanya. "I'm fully healed from what that bastard Ferrell did to me, and the Crime Lab guys are improving by the day. So far, we've been tested by defense lawyers in three cases, and we came up rock-solid in all of them..."

"Egggg-celent!" said the Chief. "And you're doing excellent work outside the lab, as well. I've heard of your nickname: 'Lady Ironside'. It fits you verrrry well."

"I still miss working with you guys." said Tanya. The Chief then steered the conversation into other channels, mostly about her son Pete...

* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *

We gathered in the Main Conference Room. I noticed that there was an air of excitement about this initiation, a lot more than last year, and I understood why. We all put on our Orange Order medals, with me wearing my Inner Circle medal for the first time in this ceremony.

"Okay, Captain Ross, "said Corporal Kirkpatrick, "as our Inner Circle initiate, you're the line leader for the candidates. Okay, let's go."

We all went out and turned left, going down the back hallway. Most of the Sergeants had decided to sit in the gym to wait, and they were talking when we came in. Upon sight of us, silence was instantaneous.

Corporal Kirkpatrick, followed by me, came up to the group. "Sergeant Carswell," said Kirkpatrick, "would you please come with us?" To congratulations and acclaim, Carswell was ushered into the line behind Cindy. We headed out.

We went down the hallway between the booking areas (which were inaccessible from this side) and Personnel & Records, walking towards the front of the building. The main auditorium was nearly full, as most Uniformed Officers were waiting there. We went down the front hall and around the corner.

Arriving at our destination, Corporal Kirkpatrick whispered "Commander, this one is all yours." I nodded, elated that I was the one getting to do this. I went forward, knocked on the door and opened it.

* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *

"Well," said Chief Moynahan, sitting behind his desk, "I know I'm not eligible for this, so we'll sit back and wait, then go in the main auditorium to see who has been sellllec-teddddd..."

"I'm curious to find out, myself." said Tanya, sitting in front of his desk. Just then, there was a knock on the door, and it opened.

I walked inside, followed by Corporal Kirkpatrick and Teresa Croyle. I looked at the Chief as I approached, then at the last second turned and looked at Tanya.

"Lieutenant Perlman," I said severely, "would you please come with us?"

To be continued.