Kros Voyeh Ch. 08

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

"Sellac Gesosin, I need to speak with you." The sour tones sounded like Halloc Aurim.

"Of course, Halloc. I've nearly finished. Is this regarding the Duchess?"

"It is."

"I'll be with you in a moment."

After closing the door, the Sellac barely touched her with the cloth, brushing it quickly over her welts and then putting it aside. "I'll have the other two bring your clothing in."

Lislora nodded mutely, thankful that she wouldn't have to leave the room naked in the presence of at least one man. Herleesa brought in Lislora's clothes and helped her dress quickly.

Murmuring her thanks to the woman, she was met with a curt nod. Stepping out of the room in her coarse grey gown, she saw the Halloc pacing in front of the desk and Evenyla standing back with her head bowed.

"He was barely respectful and refused to allow anyone to see the Duchess."

"Lislora saw her last." The seated Sellac gestured in her direction.

Halloc Aurim turned his scowl on her and Lislora dropped her eyes to the floor. "Was she harmed?"

"I think he had frightened her by pulling her out of bed the way he did. She didn't seem injured, but she was moving slowly and I-"

"Did she leave willingly?" He moved closer.

"I-I think she did, yes. He'll allow her to help the children here and to adopt Hodrim if she-"

"He had to bribe her to persuade her?"

"Duchess Isonei would have liked to stay. She made it clear that she wished to return to spend the half of the year she can be away from him-"

"If he gives her permission to return I won't allow him to take her back. That woman belongs in a convent." The Halloc sighed and moved back toward the desk. "I want to meet the boy she was so fond of."

"He schooled Brother Odgar on the matter of gifts that Ganas accepts when the Duchess lamented our bare altar." The Sellac sounded amused. "Young Hodrim wishes to become a priest and I think in time he'll be a fine one."

"Odgar mentioned that she was baffled by the altar in the Keep's sacellum."

"Evenyla, fetch Hodrim."

Lislora risked a glance up. The Halloc stood with his back to her.

"He apologized for her ignorance when she said she felt like a rude guest for not bringing a gift and the sight of the bare altar made her feel as if Ganas weren't loved."

The Halloc laughed, "And this Hodrim corrected him?"

"He reminded Brother Odgar that Ganas accepts gifts of our time, of recitations and song... The Duchess was delighted by that. She encouraged the children to help her sing The Canticle of the Joyful Holy. It was beautiful."

"He returned to the Keep with questions of Ganas' will, almost like a child himself. The visit seemed to change the way he looks at some things. I should have taken him to Neregos with me. Watching that sweet-natured woman shake the despair from the village with a few kind words and a smile was something I will always cherish the memory of.

"She even convinced the Black Prince to give them a school as an apology for his fit of temper when he came to fetch her."

"The Duchess had several suggestions for helping the children here as well. It was suggested I make inquiries in Neregos to find a carpenter who might be willing to teach the boys how to build and maintain a loom among other things."

"The question would be well received. Kindness to others is the only thing the Duchess asked for in repayment when she had wood, food, and medicine bought for the village."

"I suspected she was touched by Ganas but..." The Sellac's incredulous tone made Lislora look up again.

"I have no doubt of it. She was raised in a den of iniquity and her father tried to sell her to demons to ensure his wealth continued to increase. Yet, still, she's gentle and kind. The woman has a natural tendency toward simplicity and wholesomeness." He turned and caught Lislora watching.

"She would have benefitted from a virtuous friend. Instead, she found an enemy clothed as one. Was she unkind in some small way? Her husband looked to you and you filled his head with lies about the woman's value."

"I didn't!" Lislora blinked feeling fear rising as he gave her a sharp look.

"You didn't suggest to the Black Prince that his wife was pretty and useless?"

"She could run a household if she wished! She avoids tasks that bore her-"

Halloc Aurim brought his hand down on the corner of the desk making all of the women in the room jump. "A Queen is not expected to keep her household. She tends the King and her people. The disrespectful bastard stole the intended from the Crown Prince of Ara and expects her to behave like a baroness!

"You know who she is. As much as the woman confided in you I would expect you to know her virtues better than I do. Instead of pointing them out to her husband you pointed out any flaw you could find.

"You were well aware of the frivolous way he was spending his money, buying trinkets and gowns, while there is so much need in the Kroscur. When I told the Duchess, she was appalled. Her grandfather, a better man than her father I was given to understand," he glanced to the Sellac, "taught her that clever people and good roads are a better investment than jewels. She promised to do what she could to procure a school for the village.

"Her husband rode in, in a rage, and she boldly stepped between us as he drew back his hand to strike me. She spoke in her gentle way until he was apologetic and offered the school. A Queen doesn't have to raise her voice to be heard. I did what I could to counteract the poison you'd been pouring into his ears, had I known he'd taken you to bed and she would try to escape to the convent I would have kept silent.

"The Duchess would be a marvelous Sellac." He turned back to Sellac Gesosin with a scowl. "Lady Lislora requires purification, but her punishment should not be neglected. What she's done goes far beyond taking another woman's husband to bed. She lied and betrayed the trust of a woman who welcomed her and embraced her as a friend."

"Her punishment will not be neglected, I assure you, Halloc Aurim."

A timid knock came at the door and Lislora was grateful to be ignored as it opened. Evenyla entered with Hodrim following behind. The boy was still dirty as if he'd been pulled directly from his duties in the garden.

"This is young Hodrim." The Sellac rose and gestured toward the boy. "Hodrim, this is Halloc Aurim. He wishes to speak with you."

"I've been told you're well on your way to becoming a fine priest."

Hodrim smiled shyly, "Thank you. The Duchess spoke of you, I think."

"She did." Sellac Gesosin smiled warmly, "She compared young Hodrim to you very favorably. He was kind and stern, as a priest should be."

"Tell me, how did she behave when she arrived?" The Halloc invited him to sit on one of Sellac Gesosin's chairs and the older woman tensed visibly.

The boy looked uncertain as the Halloc gestured again, but obediently took a seat. "She was behaving like a child. The Duchess tried to make us all laugh and when she sat next to me she pretended not to know what to do at the table."

"You're certain she was pretending?" The Halloc smiled faintly.

Hodrim frowned and inclined his head. "She put the spoon on her nose."

"She was discovering how well they'd been taught." Sellac Gesosin looked as amused as the Halloc. "The Duchess has a way with children. It was done so skillfully I don't think the children realized they'd been tested. Young Hodrim took it upon himself to teach her the proper behavior at the table.

"After the midday prayers, she asked to repay us for our hospitality by entertaining us all with very wholesome Aran tales of the rewards of kindness and charity. It was relayed to me that she loved them as a child, and her father allowed her to listen to them often, to keep her from mischief."

"I was told she sang for the children in Neregos. One of my Brothers gave her the task of looking after a few small children. I had intended to have her help us care for the sick, but her servant had concerns for her delicate health." He snorted and shook his head, "I did get to hear her sing, briefly, as she was learning the Canticle. Her language lacks firmness, hearing her try to use Torgan is somehow amusing."

"She had some trouble," Hodrim spoke hesitantly, "but she tries, and her voice is soothing even when she can't be understood. It sounds as if..." The boy blushed and stopped speaking looking at the curious expression on the Halloc's face.

"As if?"

"As-as if she's never spoken a sour word."

Halloc Aurim smiled and nodded his head. "I've been told the woman can be sharp when it's required of her but it's a rarity. She finds ways to be gentle instead, or so her servant says." He turned to look at Lislora with a frown as if making an inquiry.

Inclining her head, she spoke quietly, "It's true. Her anger is nothing to fear, it passes quickly and if she speaks sharply she apologizes immediately, but her disappointment and her sad little smiles feel like knives in your belly. The Duchess never stops being kind." Lislora swallowed and took a deep breath, "I'll do my penance without complaint and I'll take my punishment."

"What is her penance?" The Halloc studied the penitent Torgan woman speculatively.

"She was told to beg forgiveness of the Duchess and to serve her. I believe the only thing that was asked was to look after Hodrim. Her penance will be, in part, beginning the boy's education. Reading and writing, and learning Aran."

"I would be hesitant to put a virtuous young boy in her care for so much of importance. Aran is, unfortunately, necessary. The Black Prince doesn't want his wife to be taught Torgan, but I would suggest teaching the boy to read and write yourself, Sellac. That is, if you truly believe he has promise. It would enable you to mitigate any ill influence from Lady Lislora."

"I do. Finding the time will be difficult. I have three-"

"I can assist you with your purification and discipline. I have my own tools and performing the rituals in the open yard would be-"

"I will not have women in my charge paraded naked in front of the children!" Sellac Gesosin scowled at him.

"They will be returned to you for the final cleansing. I do not require them to strip naked to receive the blows from the prorteruralst. My arm is strong enough to make them felt without forcing the children to endure such an immodest sight."

"It would give me some time to begin the boy's lessons..." The Sellac frowned slightly before inclining her head in agreement, "It will be as you suggest, Halloc Aurim."