Lacks Charm But Wins the Girl

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

Sandy was winched off in a harness first and landed on the other side to a rousing cheer. Linda followed and then Hunter who noticed the rescued women were being interviewed.

"Hunter, hero of the forest," Alicia Mantel screamed, running to wrap her arms around him, after knocking her husband aside when he'd attempted to preclude unauthorized entry into the area reserved for the media. The entire media rushed Hunter, leaving Sandy and Linda looking on bemused.

As soon as Alicia had been filmed and photograph with him, Hunter smacked her butt affectionately and told her to join the stalwart of the land rescue team, her husband Douglas. He then refused to talk until park rangers Linda Mitchell and Sandy Jones were standing with him, arm in arm. The media tolerantly allowed Hunter to present his spiel about how there were no heroes, only park rangers and administrators who'd worked as a team to achieve their objectives. "'Sadly it appears we are one man down missing."

"No, Douglas yelled. We're just receiving a report he walked into a police team eight miles downstream just two minutes ago."

"Thank Christ for that -- all present and accounted for. The chief would have kicked ass had we lost anyone," Hunter said, waving his hand in victory.

"Sir, where is New Zealand?"

"Young man, shame on you. Next question."

"Hunter, as an alien why did you bother to save Americans?"

"Get supplies to them don't you mean and feed the bears? Well people are people and that was good enough for me but my late grandfather used to tell me about the times during WW2 when the Americans arrived to help provide us with cover when the Imperial Japanese Forces were moving towards New Zealand and Australia and the islands north of us."

"What is WW2?"

"A significant war young lady that occurred a long, long time after the American Civil War that you guys cherish the memory of so much."

Milly the TV reporter said, "We captured you on film as you left on your near-suicidal mission in a kayak with the personable park admin head chef Alicia Mandel crying and kissing you and then crossing herself over you. You are only a temporary worker. Why do you think she did that?"

"Mrs Mandel knew two park female rangers were trapped in that hut by rising water and above them were two very hungry bears. One of those women is married and the other probably less than a year away from marrying. I had to do something so tried to do it, that's all. No big deal."

"Is ranger work too dangerous for females?"

"I like to think if those bears had torn through the roof and dropped in those women would have kicked ass, sending those bears out through the door. The bears' names are Randy and Sally and in a showdown would have known who was boss because Linda has weighed and inoculated them since they were pups."

"Don't you mean cubs?"

"Oh yeah, you'll have to excuse my ignorance. That's why I'm here as an international corps trainee. You Americans are amazing running programs like that. Very generous and very inspirational."

"Oh really?"

"Yeah. It will make an amazing difference to world peace and international understanding."

"Oh really?"

"Yeah blondie. America has some of the world's greatest forest parks. I find them as equally attractive as your fabulous women. Is that another question blondie?"

"Yes indeed, we heard on the grapevine you are returning home with a broken heart, that you came to America to visit a young American client you spent three days out on the wilds leading her into all sorts of wonderful wildlife adventures."

"Who told you that?"

"Alicia Mandrel here at the park. She told me you are returning home without your sweetheart."

"Well, Mrs Mandrel doesn't lie and I told her than in confidence one night when crying over my beer. Perhaps being a woman she misunderstood the male meaning of confidence. Well, I lost out to the other guy because my sweetheart apparently decided I have a roving eye, no steady job, am inarticulate, am a sucker for adventures and like fucking a woman so she thinks there is no desperate need to marry me."

"We'll have to bleep that word. Was she right?

"It's not for me to answer -- it's her life and she's needs to choice the right guy to life her life with."

"Where will I find her Hunter?"

"Somewhere in Illinois. That's all I'm saying. Now if you guys will excuse me I must get these two tired women into bed. Good night America or even if this clip only makes local TV good night local Americans."

The camera lights switched off and everyone fell about laughing at the possible meaning in that final comment that Hunter was about to take both women to bed.

Next morning at 6:00, with the authority of the chief ranger, Douglas and Alicia took Hunter to a distant regional airport where they breakfasted with him before he flew to LA to begin his return home early. At LA Hunter decided against calling Lee to say goodbye. Instead he called his mom that was he was on the way home and she said, surprising him, she'd seen him on TV. In a bar waiting for his flight he saw an edited rerun of his interview the previous day and then laughed along with bartenders and other patrons when the news reader said that station alone had received calls from more than 100 women claiming to be the woman who had spurned Hunter and would be interviewed if offered enough money.

At Auckland Airport next morning Hunter walked into a sizeable media blockade and that press conference was telecast live on breakfast TV. Under intense questioning he openly admitted it was true the national park he'd worked at did not have bears called Sally and Randy and it was board policy that all wild animals were not touched by anyone, including park rangers.

A pushy voluptuous reporter in over tight clothes was into him like a terrier. Her name was Liz Gee: "What else about that harrowing incident was a lie Hunter?"

"Nothing -- you would have seen it recorded on TV."

Liz: "Why did you lie and give the bears names of Randy and Sally?"

"To make Americans feel good about their wildlife."

Liz: "This Sandy, she was a very cute chick. Did you and she...um?""

"No comment."

Liz: "What about the senior ranger?"

"Good God Liz, she was married."

A radio journalist called Leonie: "This girl in Illinois. What if she comes running after you to bask in the publicity. You know how American women are?"

"Well she's not like that and if she does come here begging for forgiveness she can kiss my ass and return home on the next flight."

Liz: "Oh Hunter our national hero. You can't be serious?"

"Listen you cynic, a guy will take only so much from a woman and I've had it up to here. What are you doing for lunch?"

Liz: "Er, having it with you Mr Macdonald. The studio would love me to accept. I'll do anything to get an exclusive story."

"If you are expecting sex you'll be disappointed. I have my image to rebuild."

Liz: "Certainly Mr Macdonald. Just a little groping perhaps in a private room. I'll not mark you."

Hunter sighed, "Liz, my offer is cancelled. Goodbye. This interview is over is over. Thanks everyone, I did love America and most of the Americans I met."

Hunter then called Julia in the northern part of the South Island.

"Hi, do you want me back?"

"Oh darling, how wonderful to have you home. Yes, mama wants you back you poor jilted boy."

"Perhaps."

"What? We've been watching you on satellite TV, rejected and heartbroken that Lee doesn't want you."

"Obviously you did and I admit painting that picture. But I say perhaps it's not over."

"You're confusing me. Exactly what do you mean?"

"It was my last shot. I wanted her to feel guilty and aware of what she was in danger of throwing away."

"Baby, you a great and even I would throw a leg over you if you allowed it, but you're still not that good."

"I'm not saying I'm good and this isn't about me. It's all about Lee and she had to be made aware she was at the brink and she had to know I had thrown down the challenge."

Julia spluttered. "But isn't that telling her what to think?"

"Not at all. I'm failing to get through to you. It's simply me pushing her to think."

"Oh I see. Yes I think I do although it's almost too subtle to me. You don't want her to drift through into marriage without forcing herself into a final and ultimate review."

"That's it."

"I'll call Lee and explain it to her in a way she can clearly understand."

"That's kind of you Julia but keep out of it. She would have seen me on TV saying she's rejected me and know that's not true because she has avoided making the decision. Right now, I reckon, she's in deep thought and I know the decision she'd take."

"What, which one -- you of course?"

"I'm saying nothing. It's Lee's decision."

Julia snorted and said he was so damn frustrating to have as a friend. "Yes, we want you back and will keep you on through winter on reduced salary. You can do maintenance."

"Don't bother. Wealthy Americans will be coming in droves -- men with wives or girlfriends or more likely buddies. Your reservation book will be full before the end of next week for the next two years I promise you. Have the calls started?"

"Well it's almost midwinter and we received two bookings today and that's most unusual. Usually we only get calls from agencies at this time of year wondering if we are still in business."

Hunter told Julia to listen him. "Start advertising for more accomplished hunters to act as guides, taking your establishment number up to ten. No more as you must remain a boutique business to remain attractive to real sportsmen prepared to pay big money to stay away from the crowd."

"I agree but we are a little stretched for cash as the chopper is having a major overhaul."

"Talk to David about admitting me as a partner, I have a couple of grand to spare."

"Sorry darling, that's peanuts."

"Ooops I meant to say a couple of hundred thousand grand. My partnership share in my business consultancy in Christchurch has been taken up and my money is in my bank. Talk to David or better still bring him through to Nelson with you to pick me up off the 4 o'clock flight this afternoon. Book us into good accommodation and we can talk over dinner."

"Right, either way I'll be at the airport at 4:00."

"Either way, exactly what does that mean?"

Julia said she was attempting to express herself in the difficult way Lee did. "Get used to it partner. Will I or won't I arrive at the airport with David? Is the partnership proposal on or off? Do I stay in a hotel with you for a night of possible impropriety or do we drive through the evening and arrive home late? Exercise your mind Hunter Macdonald just like you have overstretched my comprehension ever since we first met."

The call was cut and Hunter pulled his phone away from his ear and looked at it almost bewildered. Had that been Julia speaking, the woman he'd been using as his anchor in this fucked-up world? He sat down thoughtfully, a little confused.

Julia told Hunter after their rather excited reunion at the airport that David wanted a couple of weeks to think about the possibility of admitting David as a partner. "He's uncertain about your staying stamina and ethical standards?"

Hunter shot an astonished look at Julia and grinned, catching her slight smirk. "God, you've learnt to tease."

Concentrating on her driving through the rugged country towards the Sound Julia said that after she'd received Hunter's long letter about her relationship with David she took David tramping and during lunch deep bush talked to him about improving the way they communicated and related emotionally.

"Something happened," Julia confessed. "It was as if we both knew we had to accept personal responsibility to move our marriage forward and plug the gaps."

"Lovely words, you should be writing."

They drove along in silence for a while, Hunter almost dropping off, when she said, "I'm at Chapter 9 on my maiden novel."

"Oh Julia, that's wonderful. I knew you had it in you."

The car picked up speed and Hunter tensed in his seat, whites of his eyes showing. Julia began signing the song, 'I Feel Pretty' and as she finished a couple of verses the car slowed to a safer speed.

"Somehow I feel happier, more content and more energized."

"You have freed your spirit, with David's help."

Sixty heartbeats later Julia murmured, "You're so right Hunter, again."

The house was in darkness when they arrived home. Usually Hunter slept in the single men's quarters over the huge boatshed and workshop but Julia said she wanted him living in the house a few days to keep David under pressure that he had a major decision to make."

"No, that's not fair."

"David thinks better when under pressure."

Hunter said "Oh," and followed Julia inside. He was almost asleep when someone slipped into his bed. His nose told him the intruder was female.

"I'm drifting off to sleep."

"That's okay, I'll work on it at dawn and return to my own bed before mom and dad wake," said Julia and David's youngest. Hunter fell asleep with Felicity making little kisses down his back.

* * *

By midday next day -- Sunday -- seven more bookings with credit card deposits had been received directly or advised by booking agents. At lunch while Julia was looking steely-eyed at Felicity fawning over Hunter and diverting to look at the patient smile of her eldest Milly, who stretched every time Hunter looked her way, Julia sighed and wondered if either of Anna's children were Hunter's. Anna had screamed in excitement earlier than morning when told Hunter had arrived back home and yelled that she, Michael and the two children would boat in for dinner. Michael operated as a commercial fisherman and boat repairer at the small settlement fifteen miles away near the mouth of the Sound.

Julia wondered if this promiscuous behavior by her daughters, now all three of them involved, would end when Hunter entered a more stable relationship with a woman. Sighing she concluded probably not because young females these days seem to regard sexual restraints were limited only by personal desires and preferences. The concept of morality seemed foreign to them although they did appear ready to switch when talking to older adults about sex; it was so confusing for her.

Julia's mother had warned her about Hunter: 'Watch him like a hawk Julia around my granddaughters. There's something about him that attracts women and I don't think it's looks and his body. It's certainly not charm because he lacks it. Somehow he seems to have combined laidback sexuality and aloofness into a near-lethal mix'.

Julia's mother had been a pharmacist so Julia accepted mom would know what she was talking about. Julia fancied she had that same mix when she was young but her mom had simply called her 'a stupid young slut'. Funny that and perhaps it explained why males had all the fun.

Earlier that morning David had floored her with his comment when she told him, in almost total disgust, that Felicity had gone to Hunter's bed during the night and Julia had found Felicity's panties and two condoms in the bathroom trashcan.

"Ah, checking the trashcans now are we Inspector Julia Camp of Pungarehu Sounds Hunting Safaris?"

David became sympathetic and then said, "She has to learn from someone dear and I'd rather it be Hunter than any other guy I know."

Julia swallowed, wondering where her outrage had gone.

David continued: "I went into Hunter at 5:00 and my little darling was there, a towel stuffed between her legs, no sheet covering her and smiling so angelic. I woke Hunter and we went fishing."

"To lecture him about morality."

"No, to discuss the deal. I'll make the announcement over lunch. He's back asleep because of the traveling and whatever else he has been doing has taken a lot out of him."

"I-I can't believe I'm hearing this."

David grinned that told her something amazing. "Your mother warned me when I told your parents I wanted to marry you that you had been a young slut and could easily revert. I almost pissed myself but smothering my laugh I said gravely, 'I want to marry Julia Mrs Beggs because she'd great fun, looks great and has energy to burn but it's her indomitable spirit I'm most attracted to as I intend continuing with my epic Boy's Own adventures and know she'll cope when left along at home and when kids come along. I'm not at all interested in her past track record Mrs Beggs -- I want what I see and know now'."

Julia rushed at David, wailing.

"Shhhh., You'll wake our young trainee slut," he grinned, pushing Julia's noisy mouth into his chest.

CHAPTER 6

Hunter docked his new jetboat against the jetty on a Saturday evening, looked up to the house and grinned. Lee had arrived, unannounced. Why else would the women -- Julia and her three daughters -- be in best dresses and jumping up and down in excitement? More confirming evidence: Julia was biting her knuckles, David was wearing his best jeans and a white shirt and Julia had even managed to knot a tie around the non-conformist. They were dressed as if ready to entertain the US President.

Hunter lifted up the 40 inch head of a trophy deer and handed it to his client to hold above her head he jumped on to the jetty and took her photograph. The hard face of the 48-year-old German book publisher cracked into almost a lovely smile, assisted by the family on the nearby balcony clapping.

"Hurry, hurry up here Hunter," Julia shouted, voice thick with emotion.

"Can't, I have to wash down Wingfoot after taking Madam von Stein to her chalet."

"We'll do that for you Hunter," said one of the guides Guy who came out of the boatshed followed by another guide Tony.

"Do you mind?" Guy whispered to the client who spoke perfect English.

The insatiable traveler-hunter smiled and said, "You two clean up here, shower and change into fresh clothes and join me in my chalet for dinner. My maid Gertrude may decide to join us."

Grinning, Hunter went up to the house and yelled, "Honey I'm home."

There was no reply.

He walked into the lounge and pretended to be stunned. Lee, in a white dress and hair piled high, was waiting for him. His 'family' was sitting around in chairs, grinning.

"I don't believe it, my dream come true." That was partly true but Hunter had never stopped believing Lee would come to him, eventually. It was early spring, moving towards the mid-fall the wedding date he'd long had in mind to be held in Illinois.

"Hello darling, I've come to take you home to a wedding, our wedding, that's if you'll accept my proposal."

Julia screamed into tears and her married daughter moved in to comfort her.

Lee and Hunter hugged tightly but kissed modestly.

"Okay if I give you my answer sometime during the next two days?"

"Yes of course," Lee said bravely while the other women in the room groaned.

"Did you bring hunting clothes?"

"No, sorry. I just didn't think."

"Borrow mine," yelled Julia and her three daughters almost in unison.

Lee and Hunter grinned at them.

"David, if you don't mind Lee has come all this way for my answer. Could you take my booking on Monday, a two-nighter? Lee and I will walk out from here in the morning and spent the night on Duggan's Ridge where at dawn, as the sun begins to shine on to our campsite I intend giving her my answer."

Looking bewildered, David said, "But you never gave up on your belief Lee would come here. You must know your answer."

Lee and the other women looked at David in astonishment.

"How did you know daddy?"

"It's something women wouldn't know or at least wouldn't acknowledge Anna. When men sail long distances or trek long distances alone they develop their minds. I was able to periodically confirm my growing belief in Hunter's comment whenever we talked about Lee and all he would say was, "Don't worry, she has an agenda; she knows what she wants." I began to 'read' from his voice what he was thinking, or at least confirm he was unshaken in his belief Lee would come for him."