Lady Godiva - The True Story

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

Abby's boyfriend, Tom, bellowed, "Hello, ladies!"

Robbie, Jennie's current boyfriend, let loose a wolf whistle and said, "My. My. My. Look at all that prime beef!" The fat man ogled all the girls.

All the females turned toward the noise. Abby and Jennie smiled seeing their boyfriends and got up to greet them. Megan saw the third guy and frowned. She hissed at her friends, and said, "I can't believe you bitches set me up."

The boyfriends hugged their girls. Then, Tom said, "Everyone, this is Mike Trevose. Mike, the beauty in my arms is Abby. That's Jennie with Robbie. And the gorgeous blond is Megan."

The well-built, medium height, sandy-haired guy with kind eyes and an easy smile, waved to all and said, "Hello." He went to the empty lounge next to Megan and sat down. The sun struck a metal building by the pool and reflected the light onto Megan. It made her blond hair shimmer and sparkle.

"The sun is bouncing off the shed and your blond hair is shining like you have a halo. You look like an angel."

She scowled at him and barked, "What? Why did you use that word? Why are you here?"

"Huh?" He drew back surprised by her anger. He said, "The guys said we were going swimming. It's a hot day and it sounded good to me."

"Did they tell you I'd be here? Did they promise you a broken-hearted girl who was a prime candidate for rebound sex?" she accused him.

His jaw dropped. He gave her an 'Are you crazy?' look. He said nothing but thought, "Why are so many of the pretty one's psychos?".

Megan stared at him. She had spit on her lip. She either didn't notice or care. It sat there as she said, "You come in here all friendly like. I know what you are. You're a player in board shorts. Do you even know how to surf?"

"I grew up in Southern California and surfed nearly every day. After my father died in a car accident and my grandmother took ill, Mom and I decided we should move here to be with my grandparents and help out. Maybe you know them. The Watsons at Hallelujah Acres?"

Mike got up and slowly walked away. Megan watched him go. She saw him dive into the pool. There was barely any splash. He swam away quickly using powerful, efficient strokes.

Everyone saw Megan explode and spew venom on Mike. They gave her a wide berth and gathered on the opposite side of the pool. Mike swam a couple of laps, got out of the pool, and was welcomed warmly by Jennie and Abby.

Megan got up to get a drink. She passed on the beer and made herself a margarita. While she had the tequila out, she downed two shots.

"Sorry, Mike. I can't believe she behaved that way," Abby said.

Jennie chipped in, "Her last boyfriend really did a number on her."

"I know how devastating a break up can be when your partner stomps on your heart," he responded without malice.

The four talked more. Megan gulped down her drink and went over to the group. She was unrepentant and said, "What the hell, Abby? You invite me over to swim and then spring a blind date on me?"

"It wasn't like that. Tom said he met a nice guy. I thought this would be a chance for all of us to chill and hang out. It's not a date," Abby explained.

It was as if Megan didn't hear a thing she'd said. Her words were slurred as she said to everyone, "He's not even my type. I'm 5' 7". I like my men to be at least be six feet tall." She turned to Mike and demanded, "How tall are you?"

"5' 9"."

"That's not enough. When I wear heels, I'll be taller than you. Just because you're pretty with your blond hair, and blue eyes and you have big arms and wide shoulders, I'm not going to date you. I've been fooled by guys with a nice appearance. It's what's on the inside that counts."

Abby stood, went to her friend, guided her away, and said quietly, "Let's ease up on the booze and be nice. You don't have to do anything you don't want to do."

Jennie said, "Guys, why don't you go for a swim?" She too went to her friend.

The men quickly exited. The women calmed their friend. The three of them eventually lay on the lounges in the sun.

The guys drank and splashed about. Robbie came to Jennie. He sat beside her on the edge of her lounge. She was lying on her stomach. He rubbed her wide bottom and then, slapped her hard on the butt. He said, "Baby, that's a fine looking ass."

"Ouch!" she cried. "Don't be so rough."

"That's not what you said last night. You were gagging for it and begging me to slam it into you hard and fast."

"Robbie!" Jennie screamed and sat up. Her face was red. "That's private stuff. How much have you had to drink?"

"Not enough." He wrapped his arms around her and kissed her hard on the lips. She struggled and then surrendered to the desire of the fat, young man. When Robbie finished the kiss, he moved away from her. He had unsnapped her bikini top while they were kissing. Now, he yanked it off her and run away with it.

Jennie was too shock to cover up and everyone saw her saggy, bare breasts. "Ahh!" she shrieked and crossed her arms over her boobs. "Give me back my top!" she shouted. Her voice quivered and tears flowed from her eyes.

"Your saggy tits deserve a chance to get some sunshine," Robbie said and then tittered. He added, "You know, how the flowers of plants look up and turn toward the sun? Let's see if your tired, downward facing nipples turn into perky, upturned ones."

Mike got up and went over to him. He said, "That's a dick move. Give her her top back."

The pudgy, intoxicated guy was taller and outweighed Mike. He didn't back down. He said with a sneer, "What? Are you going to make me?"

"Yes." Mike adopted a boxer's stance and pounded Robbie's flabby stomach with a quick combination of punches. The over-weight bully cried out in pain and crumpled over. Mike grabbed the top and took it to Jennie.

"Thank you," she said. She flashed her breasts as she put the bikini top on. Then, she turned to Robbie and said, "We're done. Get out of my sight!" and then added, "Oh, the reason I asked you to fuck me hard is that your dick is so short and skinny that if you don't pound me, I don't feel anything."

"You bitch!" Robbie shouted. He got up and lunged at Jennie. Mike blocked his path. The two fell to the ground and wrestled. Mike got the better of him again. Tom came over and said, "I'll take the fat bastard home."

He and Mike helped him stand. Robbie tripped over his own feet and fell. He reached out trying to keep his balance and ended up ripping and pulling Mike's bathing suit down. Everything and everyone stopped and looked at the new guy with his shorts around his ankles. They couldn't help but see was his genitals.

Mike had a healthy piece of meat between his legs. His balls and penis were completely visible because 99% of his pubic hair was gone. He had a small soul patch above his cock. What was also plainly evident was this wasn't the first time he'd had his pants off. He had no tan line.

"Oh, for Christ's sake! This one was my favorite," Mike said. He pulled up his ripped shorts. A big flap in the middle exposed his cock.

Abby looked him up and down and smiled. She said, "You have no tan line. I'm guessing this isn't the first time you've been out in the sunshine with no clothes."

"I'm nudist," he said plainly.

"Why do you go around without clothes?" Megan asked with the simplicity of a child or in her case, someone who was drunk.

"I enjoy the freedom and it's a sensual experience. I don't want a barrier interfering with my enjoyment of nature. I want to feel the warm sunshine or a soft breeze on my skin. I don' see the point in wearing clothes to swim or use a hot tub. What's the logic in wearing clothing in order to get wet? If it isn't logical to wear them in the shower or bathtub, why wear them in a swimming pool or at the beach? If I'm trying to get a tan, why bother to cover up?"

"That makes sense," Abby said.

"I am what I am," Mike said. "Accept or reject me for who I am, not for what I have on. Does wearing Gucci shoes or an Armani suit make someone a better person? I don't think so. Please judge me on my character, not my clothes.

"It's also about freedom, I want to experience the world without filters. I want to experience it on my terms. When I am in society, I follow society's rules, but when I'm in private, in my house or in a private club with like-minded people, I won't let anyone tell me what to wear.

"No one owns me. No one can ridicule or body shame me and break my will. God created me this way. If it's good enough for him, it should be good enough for everyone else."

"I wish I had your confidence," Jennie said.

"Tomorrow is Natitional Nude Day. If any of you want to try this lifestyle, join me at my grandparents' farm. My mom is hosting a get together. There'll be a potluck supper, music, swimming, and games. Everyone is welcome."

Abby brought him a towel and said, "Here cover up. Give me your shorts. I'm a whiz with a needle. I'll mend them." Before she handed him the towel, she made sure to get one last look at his cock.

Tom got Robbie to his feet and said, "Stay, Mike. I'll get him home and come back."

"Thanks, for the offer Abby, but these swimming trunks are toast. I'll help Tom get Robbie home. After being yelled at, involved in a domestic abuse situation, and losing my best board shorts, I'm ready to call it a day."

He used one hand to hold up his shorts and the other to maneuver Robbie into the car. The guys drove off.

Megan said,"I'm going too. Sorry for ruining your party. I don't know why I got so angry at Mike. I was a bitch on wheels."

"Leo mistreated you and you're angry," Abby said. "It's understandable, but you can't attack all men. Mike seems like a nice guy."

"I'd say he's better than nice. Above average in my estimation," Jennie said and giggled. When she said the last couple of words she held out both hands a foot apart. The reference to his dick was caught by everyone. The three young women burst out laughing.

^^^

Megan went home. She was distressed. Everyone has a way to relieve stress. Some people exercise, others listen to music or sleep. For Megan, baking did the trick. It occupied her mind. She enjoyed the pleasant aroma and having something delicious to share with family and friends. Baking always made her feel better.

She made three blueberry pies. That night, she and her mother had grilled chicken on a spinach salad followed by a slice of blueberry pie with vanilla ice cream.

Megan slept poorly. She tossed and turned in her bed. She had a vivid dream of a blond woman from another era. Like a fly on the wall, she saw bits and pieces of her life. The woman was angry with a man. He demanded respect but gave none. He demanded blind obedience but broke his vows. She wanted justice and got it.

^^^July 14th^^^

Morning came and Megan shuffled down to the kitchen. She and her mother were similarly attired in cotton sleeping tees. Neither had on bras or panties. The summer's night had been too hot to wear more than the cotton shirts.

Cyne smiled at her daughter and said, "Another rough night?"

Megan poured herself a cup of coffee and joined her mother at the kitchen table. "Does it show?" She sighed and took a sip of the hot liquid. She said, "I had a restless night. My afternoon was bad too. I bit some poor boy's head off. He said something and it triggered a memory of Leo. I became enraged and screamed at him.

"Turns out he was a good guy. An interesting, good-looking guy who because of my behavior now thinks I'm a psycho. There aren't many good ones out there and there is one less potential boyfriend for me." ^^^

"Hurry, we'll be late," Cyne said as she parked the car in the museum's parking lot. She jumped out of the car.

"Yes, ma'am." Megan said teased her mom adding,"The presentation doesn't begin for fifteen minutes."

Cyne's high heels clicked tap-tap-tap as she quickly walked across the concrete. "Come on," she called over her shoulder, "I want to get a good seat."

Her middle-aged breasts bounced provocatively as she bounded up the steps. "Careful, Mom," Megan razzed the eager art lover, "the girls are flying around and are likely to leap out of your dress."

"Oh, you!" she responded dismissively, but she recognized the wisdom of her words. She took her advice and slowed her pace.

They went into the auditorium, got seats near the front, and waited for the presentation to begin. A thin gentleman, wearing a linen suit and a bow tie walked onto the stage. He self-consciously fussed with his hair making sure the comb-over was strategically placed to disguise the fact that he was practically bald.

He went up to the podium and said, "Good afternoon, fellow art lovers. I am Winston Grumfellow. Today, we will see and discuss some world-class art. It's a beautiful summer day and I'm feeling whimsical. We don't always have to deal with serious subjects, like war or why Van Gogh cut off his ear. I've chosen a lighter theme for today's presentation. One suggested by today's date."

He paused and looked out over the small audience with a sly smile and said "Today is July 14. And no, I'm not referring to the day in 1223 when Louis VIII became king of France upon the death of his father, Philip II. July 14th is National Nude Day!"

The audience chuckled.

"The founder of National Nude Day is unknown, but when I think of famous nude people in history, Lady Godiva comes to mind. You all know the story. Godiva was troubled by the crippling taxes her husband, Leofric, had levied on the citizens of Coventry. After she repeatedly asked him to lessen the burden, Leofric quipped that he would lower the taxes only if she rode naked on horseback through the center of town. He never expected, the high born woman to consider the idea for a moment.

"He underestimated his wife. She was determined to help the townsfolk. Godiva stripped off her clothes, climbed on her horse, and galloped through the market square with only her long, flowing, blond hair to cover herself. Before leaving, she ordered the people of Coventry to remain inside their homes and not peek, but one man named Tom, couldn't resist opening his window to get an eyeful. Upon doing so, this "Peeping Tom" was struck blind.

"After finishing her naked ride, Godiva confronted her husband and demanded that he hold up his end of the bargain. Leofric did reduce the people's taxes."

Winston pushed a button and a painting appeared on a screen. He said, "Here is Edmund Blair Leighton's painting depicting the moment of decision when the beautiful Lady Godiva decides to accept Leofric's challenge."

Another painting was projected. "Here is Tom Collier's painting from 1897 titled "Lady Godiva"."

He pushed a button and another painting was displayed. "This is Marshal Claxton's painting of the naked Godiva astride her horse.

"They're also some wonderful sculptures of the ride. Here is one made by Sir William Reid Dick." He showed it and then another statue and said, "This one was done by John Thomas."

Winston returned the first image to the screen and went through them all again discussing technique, perspective, balance, how light was used in the paintings, and how the statutes were cast. He also talked about the classical themes woven into the works.

At the end of his lectures, he asked, "Does anyone have a question or comment?"

An ancient lady, barely five feet tall rose and said in a clear voice, "Isn't there some doubt that the ride ever took place?"

Winston replied, "There is no doubt that Lady Godiva existed. She and her husband were rich, important, and powerful people. They and their deeds were written about.

"Leofric and Godiva were generous benefactors to religious houses. In 1043, Leofric founded and endowed a Benedictine monastery at Coventry on the site of a nunnery destroyed by the Danes in 1016. They were benefactors of other monasteries at Leominster, Chester, Much Wenlock, and Evesham.

"Godiva died in 1067, the year following the Battle of Hastings. At her death, she was one of the four or five richest women in England. Her lands were forfeit to the new king. You know him as William, The Conqueror.

"There is some doubt that the naked ride happened. A couple of things don't add up. For one, Anglo-Saxon women could own land. Coventry was her property. If she wanted to eliminate or reduce taxes, she didn't need her husband's permission, she had the power and authority to do it herself.

"Some might say, okay she has the authority, but what if her husband objected? She had an option to deal with that problem. Divorce existed. If she wasn't happy with Leofric, she could have kicked him to the curb. She would have been allowed to keep all property she brought into the marriage as well as any minor children.

"The only taxes she couldn't void were those imposed by the King. The records of that time don't show any onerous royal taxes. They mention a tax on horses, but there were no harsh taxes on the little hamlet of Coventry."

The old crone asked, "If the story isn't true, why has it persisted?"

"Ah, good question," Winston said. He used his right index finger to slide his glasses back into their proper position before he answered. "It's a myth. All society propagate myths to teach lessons, build culture, and bind people together. They answer questions like 'Who are we?' and 'How should we behave?'"

"The myth of Lady Godiva tells us we should be concerned about our fellow man and help them. Even if our actions cause us to pay a price. Godiva sacrificed her dignity to help her people. That makes her a hero."

The old woman said, "So you're saying the ride didn't happen, but their society needed a good story so someone made one up. And everyone believed it and repeated it year after year. That seems far-fetched. Don't you think someone in Coventry would have stood up and said it didn't happen? I find it hard to believe that the myth-maker could get away with this hoax," the old woman said and sat down.

Megan stood up and said, "I think the ride happened, but the reasons for it have been made up."

"This is a new twist," Winston said. "Please, share with us your theory."

"The story that this was about taxes was made up to allow the husband, Leofric to save face. The true reason would have been embarrassing to Leofric. You see, he was an important man. He served as the Earl of Mercia for nearly thirty years. That made him the second most powerful Earl in Britain after Godwin, the Earl of Wessex. Only the King was more powerful than these two men.

"Leofric and Godiva came from wealthy and influential families. People of their rank did not marry for love. It was more a merger that benefited both sides. It was important that an heir is produced to wield power and make sure the family continued to be wealthy and powerful. Sex was an obligation to be met. After an heir and, in the best case, a spare was produced, each party was free to find love or companionship with a person of their choosing. The expectation was that this would be done discreetly.

"Leofric took many lovers and was not discreet. That was bad form. What was unforgivable to Godiva was that he slept with women below his station. This was a slap in the face of Lady Godiva. She was humiliated.

"The ride was payback. In spades. As a Lady, Godiva was expected to be modest and dignified at all times. What better way to get back at her asshole husband than for Lady Godiva to parade through town naked? She allowed her body, which in theory was the exclusive domain of the Earl, to be seen by all, including lowly commoners.

"Her naked ride was a big middle finger to her husband. She turned the tables on him and completely humiliated her husband."

"That's an intriguing theory," Winston said. "It is plausible. If the naked ride took place, the Earl would have tried to float an alternative scenario to explain it. Something that would put him in a better light. He changed the storyline to one where his wife was courageous and caring and he was benevolent and a man of honor who kept his word and reduced the taxes."