Lady in Black

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

Sadly, I rolled over to find the other side of the bed cold and empty. Confused, I looked down from the loft, searching. The apartment seemed frigid and desolate. I felt like someone had put their hand inside me and ripped out all that had meaning.

I rolled from my bed, and went down the stairs. I wandered about the little apartment as if I was lost. It had only been one night, but I knew no other woman could ever inspire me as much.

Desperate to end the pain, I walked to the small bar for a bottle and a shot glass. Instead, I found that little derringer atop a large manila envelope. The words “I will never forget you, my love” were written in beautiful script on the big envelope. For the first time in over twenty years, tears began to well in my eyes. I wiped them dry, and opened the envelope.

Inside were bills—one hundred dollar bills—four packs of fifty, and all well worn.

That was ten years ago.

***

I sold the Buick, bullet hole and all, to an old ex-friend that lived down the Bayou. I bought a new used car from someone that I never met before. I haven’t had any problems since.

I started to write my own music. It helped me to keep in touch with the past. And, I began to sing my own lyrics. My career took off. The critics said they haven’t heard such raw emotion since Skip James. I wonder about the analogy.

James never found peace.

I’ve been with other women. I’ve been with many women since that day, and still can’t get rid of this empty feeling. Most call it loneliness. I just call it pain.

End

12