Lady in Red Ch. 03

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

Steve and Ms. Walker were seated when Gwen arrived. Steve immediately stood and helped Gwen with her chair while Ms. Walker smiled her approval. Gwen once again wore the amazing red dress that Lisa had loaned to her. Steve wore a sports jacket over a dark mock turtleneck that emphasized his broad shoulders and powerful chest.

Ralph Smith addressed the group. "Folks, we're in for a real treat today. In case any of you've been living in a cave for the past couple of months, you need to know that our high school football team is undefeated, and much of the credit for that goes to this young man, Steve Hammer, team quarterback.

"Even more amazing, at least to many of us men, is the fact that Steve has teamed up with this truly beautiful young lady, Gwen Anderson, who happens to have the number one GPA in her class, to entertain and amaze people with their dance skills. If any of you haven't already done so, I encourage you to search for Dave Kite's YouTube page. That young man has done a very impressive job recording and promoting senior class activities this year. For obvious reasons, the videos featuring these two class members have received the lion's share of attention; over four thousand views on a couple of them and the counter is going up daily.

"The fact that these two have agreed to give us a private audience today is the reason that so many of our wives have decided to attend. I know that's all that my wife, Nancy, could talk about the past two days. Enjoy your lunch. Then Miss Anderson and Mr. Hammer will trip the light fantastic," concluded Ralph Smith.

The luncheon was extremely well attended with as many, or more, women than men. Gwen, Ms. Walker, and Steve had seats at the table with the Rotary officers and their wives and had a pleasant meal as they listened to Ms. Walker extol the virtues of building a children's wing on the hospital. Everyone agreed that it would benefit the area, but more than a few questioned the feasibility. Could a town of less than twenty thousand support such a hospital?

That was when Gwen joined the discussion. "Why would we assume that only the people within the city limits would use the hospital? If we had a strong, reputable hospital with good staff, people from the entire area, well beyond the town limits, would gladly use it for their health care. There are no really good medical facilities within a couple hours drive. This hospital should emphasize that it's for the entire area's benefit and draw from all of the outlying areas for support. This cannot be a "Sparta only" hospital. Maybe they should change their name from Sparta General to something that embraces a much larger target area. Look at all the how big an area the school district draws from. Our school teams are called the Spartans, but that covers more than this town. It's the entire district."

Ralph Smith nodded his head as he listened to Gwen's reasoning. Then he turned to Ms. Walker with a big grin. "Angela, you sure knew what you were doing when you put Gwen in charge of this project. Seldom do I see such maturity and sound logic from anyone, let alone a high school student."

When it came time for them to dance, Gwen seemed a bit tentative at first. "Gwen, relax!" whispered Steve. "You look fantastic and everyone loves you. Let go and feel the music. We can do this right."

Gwen looked up at Steve as he spoke. She was again struck by his rugged good looks and engaging smile, and she felt his eyes could look into her very soul. Without conscious thought, Gwen moved closer and allowed herself to follow Steve's lead, trusting that her partner wouldn't make any mistakes. By the end of the dance, Gwen was relaxed and smiling. The applause was surprising in its duration and volume.

"That was beautiful!" gushed Ralph Smith's wife. "You two look so perfect together and move so well. I've been after Tyler to take some lessons with Gwen's Aunt Diane, but he always claimed it was for sissies. Now I've got some new ammunition. Steve sure doesn't look like any sissy-boy, and look at the beautiful woman he gets to hold in his arms when he dances."

Steve and Gwen knew that they were there to make friends and tried to greet everyone warmly. Steve saw that suddenly change when Gwen came face to face with the guy that bid against Steve for that first dance. She tensed up noticeably, and clung tightly to Steve's arm.

"Gwen, that was beautiful. You dance so gracefully," praised Mort Governs. "Have you given any thought to my suggestions for fund raising for your project? I'd be happy to discuss them with you anytime."

Everyone within hearing was stunned by Gwen's terse response to one of the area's leading businessmen. "I've given it a lot of thought, Mr. Governs. I've decided that it'll be a cold day in hell when I have business of any kind with you!"

The silence was deafening as everyone waited for Mort Governs response to Gwen's brutal dismissal of his offer. "If that's the way you want it, Gwen. You're the one that came to me asking for ideas and suggesting that you'd do anything to meet your goals for the project. I really hate to reveal your not-so-admirable side, but I..."

Steve had heard enough and stepped in front of Governs and put his mouth down close to Governs' ear and spoke as quietly, and with as much intensity as he could. "So it was you! Say one more word about Gwen and I'll rip your heart out, and show it to you right before I shove it up your ass! If you don't turn around and leave right now, I'll have to assume that you want to mix it up with me, and there's nothing I'd like better. You decide, Asshole. Fight or flight?"

Mort Governs lost all color as Steve snarled into his ear. No one else in the room could actually hear what was said, but everyone watching knew exactly what Steve was telling the young dealership owner. Mort had said enough to embarrass and offend those within hearing. He turned quickly and strode from the room.

"I apologize to everyone for my display of temper," offered Steve, "but no one will speak to Gwen like that as long as I'm near enough to prevent it. If I've offended anyone, I'm sorry. I'll leave now."

"I don't think so, young man!" stated Nancy Smith as the rest of the assembled group remained silent. "I want you and Gwen to demonstrate some of your skills in slow motion so that we can watch and see exactly how you two move so gracefully. Don't give another thought to that spoiled little pompous ass. I'm not sure what you said to him, but I strongly suspect it was direct and appropriate for the situation. A man should always defend his lady's honor, and you did an admirable job."

Gwen had caught enough of Steve's threat to Governs to realize how angry he was. His voice had sounded more like a growl than anything human. The speed at which the color drained from Governs' face reinforced her impression that Steve had issued a very strong threat and was more than willing to back it up.

Suddenly, everyone was laughing as they told their impressions of Steve's meeting with Mort Governs. The ladies carefully watched Steve and Gwen demonstrate s few steps. Steve was amused that a few simple steps seemed so impressive to the ladies. Soon he was taking each of the ladies through the basic steps. It was one thirty when Angela Walker explained that the students needed to return to class. There was a lot of back slapping as Steve thanked the Rotary for its support.

"Holy crap! I thought you were going to slap that stupid little shit!" exclaimed Ms. Walker as they drove out of the parking lot. "That would have complicated things, but no one would have blamed you, Steve. He sure had it coming! Imagine speaking like that to a girl like Gwen, in front of a guy like you! As it turned out, I think your reaction actually benefited our goal. You are now known as an athlete, dancer, and defender of lady's honor. The latter will go a long way with the wives of the male Rotarians, not to mention the females in the Rotary."

Gwen had explained to Ms. Walker that she was not returning to school since she had to change her clothes. Her dress was not appropriate for the classroom. Her mother was descending the stairs as Gwen entered the house. She watched as Gwen dropped into the recliner and let out a sigh. Paula stood in front of Gwen waiting for her report of the day's events.

"Well, Mom, the cat's out of the bag," Gwen stated simply as Paula sat down next to her and waited for Gwen to continue. "For some reason, it never occurred to me that Mort Governs would naturally be a Rotary member. He's a mover and shaker in the community. He make some comment about how he'd be glad to discuss his so-called ideas for fund raising with me anytime and I told him, in no uncertain terms, that it'd be a cold day in hell when I had anything to do with him.

"Then he said that I had approached him and told him that I'd do "anything" to meet our project goals. Then he started to reveal what he called my not-so-admirable side," recounted Gwen.

"Started to, Gwen?" asked a worried Paula. "Did something prevent Governs from smearing your name in the dirt? Was that something well over six feet tall and pretty angry by this time? Did Steve get into a lot of trouble?"

"You think you're so smart, Mom!" groaned Gwen. "Steve moved in real close to Mort and said a few things that I couldn't make out very well. No one else was close enough to hear a word of it. I did hear something about Mort being 'the one'. Then there was something about 'Ripping a heart out'. 'Shoving it someplace'. Things like that, but Steve snarled it so low it sounded more like a rumble than human speech. For some reason, Mort turned on his heel and practically ran from the room."

"I think, Gwen, that you're getting to see the difference between the good guys and the bad guys. What did the other Rotary members say? Was there a problem?" questioned Paula.

"Truthfully, it seemed to make their day. They kept us there showing them the few simple dance steps that we do. You'd think we'd invented the moon walk or something. It was mostly the ladies and they couldn't wait to have Steve take them in his arms and show them the simple steps. I've never seen so many sexually repressed women in my life. Ms. Walker called an end to it before they managed to get Steve to show them some other moves that he's probably already used on that redhead."

"That reminds me. Diane said that she would be happy to help you and Steve perfect a few more dances for that Firemen's benefit," remembered Paula. "I think my little sister wants to see how it feels to be in Steve's arms, if just for a little while. You'll probably think she's another sexually repressed woman. Your boyfriend seems to do that to us mature ladies."

"Did you just include yourself in that group, Mom?" demanded Gwen. "Do I have to worry about you and Diane now?"

"Honey, every woman that sees that boy is a potential competitor, if you're intending to keep him as your boyfriend. If you're going to break up with him, it shouldn't matter. As far as Diane and I are concerned, we're older and married, and want to stay that way, so we'll limit ourselves to a few harmless actions and fantasies," laughed Paula. "But if you want to keep Steve, there isn't a girl or woman around that can steal him from you. I've seen the way he looks at you. He's yours if you want him."

"Then why was he out with that long legged redhead?" asked Gwen. "Why do I feel totally out of control here?"

"I can tell you the answer to that second question, but you won't want to hear it, at least not yet," responded Paula. "Ask Steve about the redhead if you really want to know. It isn't rocket science, Gwen. It's called communication. You sometimes seem better versed in rocket science than in relationships."

The football team continued to win. Steve managed to post very impressive statistics. The regular season ended with Sparta undefeated, and league champions. The team needed to win three more games to claim the school's first ever state title. The first Saturday in November was the district championship against Carver High. Then would come the regional championship game the following Saturday, if Sparta beat Carver. The state title game was scheduled for the Saturday before Thanksgiving.

The team had developed a strong fan base and a great deal of press coverage. Sparta was buzzing with talk of a state title. Never before had its football team reached the big game. Many of the articles in the local paper featured Steve and mentioned the videos Dave Kite had posted on YouTube. Views of the videos eclipsed ten thousand by early November. Donations to the hospital fund, many unsolicited, had begun to arrive in the mail.

Steve had always been the hardest working team member in the weight room, but half way through the season, Billy Marsh came alive. He worked harder and longer than Steve. By the last league game, Billy was obviously thinner around the middle and wider in the chest and shoulders. He and Steve had become fast friends. Billy always gave the same answer when Steve asked what had happened to cause such a drastic change in Billy's attitude.

"Somebody has to block and make you look good. I want to be part of a state championship team, and saving your ass is the way to get there. When the college recruiters come to see the famous Steve Hammer, they'll have to notice the no-longer fat putz that centers the ball, and pass blocks like a pro. Those guys are smart and they'll see the real reason for your success," grinned Billy.

Gwen's relationship with Steve remained complicated. She still danced with him. In fact, they spent more time together than ever as they worked on a couple new dances for casino night. Diane suggested that a tango would dazzle the audience and a dance with a couple lifts would be a real crowd pleaser. Although many purists felt that lifts had no place in ballroom dancing, spectators loved to see them.

"Paula, that boy is amazing! We both know that I'm not as light as I used to be, but he's able to lift me like I was a child. He can toss Gwen around with no effort. He's graceful, a fast learner, and very polite. I had him lift me a couple times and slowly lower me. I had a low top on and he kept looking away, which didn't do much for my self esteem," admitted Diane. "I finally told him in that dance, he was the leader, the alpha, and he had to not only look at his partner's assets, but do it obviously and sensuously. The next time he lowered me he looked right into my cleavage and blew into my top! My nipples were hard for the next hour.

"I don't know where Gwen gets her self-discipline. She wears those sweaters and sweatshirts to practice and hardly interacts with the guy, even when she's in his arms. I know she's pissed about him supposedly having a woman on the side, but if I were her, I'd be doing my level best to make him forget the other woman. And Gwen has the equipment to make him forget!"

When the arrangements were made for Casino night, no one had considered the football team playing that same day for the district title. Luckily, Sparta played early in the day and everyone had time to return to Sparta and participate, as promised, in Casino night at the fire hall. The fact that Sparta had won 42- 21 made for a festive occasion. The members of the Fire Company, firefighters and ambulance crew, had a large sign proclaiming Sparta district champions on the wall.

"Wow, Charlotte! You look great. I guess if college doesn't work out for you, there's always the option of being a cocktail waitress," teased Steve as he admired how well Charlotte looked in a little black dress.

"Thanks, Steve. It's always good to be appreciated! I'm hoping that a certain waiter here tonight will like what he sees and stop being so darn hard to attract. I blame you for that, too. You made him walk me to class and apologize. He did such a good job of it, I can't stop thinking about it, but he acts like he hardly notices me."

"If we're talking about a guy that's dropped about thirty pounds of lard and added about twenty pounds of muscle since the start of football season, he's noticed you, believe me. He doesn't talk about anything else! "What if she still thinks I'm too fat? What if she doesn't like me?" are two of the whines I hear five or six times a day," complained Steve. "In case you haven't figured it out, he's talking about you, Charlotte."

"Who's talking about me, Steve? How do I know who's lost weight? I need to know that we're talking about the same guy!" giggled Charlotte. "Point him out!"

"Okay. He's the guy standing by the men's room pretending to be reading the sign that says "men's room." Now he's looking at his shoes. Now he's checking to be sure his fly is all the way up," revealed Steve. "Does that help give you an idea of which poor schmuck has it bad for one of the smartest, prettiest girls in the senior class?"

"Now who are you talking about? I was hoping he was interested in me!" lamented Charlotte with a sad, pouty little smile.

Steve managed to pull Gwen aside a short while later. "Gwen, I know you're upset with me for that stunt I pulled that night I picked you up walking on that dark road. I've tried to apologize to you, but you won't listen. I was wrong to think that I could demand that you tell me something, or make you do something just because I wanted you to do it. I know now that it involved that Governs jerk, and that he did something to upset you pretty badly. I behaved like an ass and your dad was right to paste me one.

"I'm new to all of this, Gwen. I've never had a girlfriend. My mom died a few years ago and I'm kind of weak in my relationship skills with females. I just don't know what you want me to do, Gwen. How can I get you to forgive me?" asked Steve sincerely. "I've learned a lot from that incident. I'll work to be more understanding and less demanding."

"Steve, I went out with that jackass! We had dinner. I thought we would be discussing ways he could help in our fund raising, but deep down, I knew what he was after and I went with him anyway. That's not a very good girlfriend, is it? I thought I'd just keep it from you and it wouldn't hurt anything," admitted Gwen sadly. "The truth is all relationships have to be built on honesty and I wasn't being honest with you.

"I appreciate that you helped me out, but I was too ashamed to admit what I had done. That's why I wouldn't tell you anything. That and the fact I was afraid that you'd do something to that ass that would get you into big trouble. To answer your question, you need to absolutely tell me the truth all the time. It has to be the whole truth and not half truths to keep my feelings from being hurt. The only thing that stands between us is that I don't think you've been completely honest with me."

"Okay, I see where that can be a problem. I guess I need to explain myself better. I'll work on that from now on. I've become accustomed to keeping things to myself the past year or so and it's become a habit, a bad habit at that," conceded Steve. "I just worry that if you know too much about me, you'll feel pity or something, and I don't want that. I just want to be a normal, average senior in a normal school that just happens to have a super beautiful girlfriend. Is that too much to ask?"

"It is if you want to keep me around, Steve. You'll have to drop that beautiful girlfriend," replied Gwen more seriously than Steve realized. "My sister Lisa was drop dead gorgeous since birth. I've grown up being compared to her and it wasn't always kind. My self esteem wasn't the greatest, so I threw myself into my schoolwork. I'm determined to become a doctor, a very good doctor. This past summer I started working out on my dad's weight machine and walking a few miles a day. I felt like I was improving and then you arrived on the scene and seemed interested in me when no else ever has been. The really crazy thing is that you're a walking wet dream for every girl in school, so I wonder why you spend time with me.