Lady in Red Ch. 32

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

Steve and Gwen mingled with other guests for half an hour before the presidents of France, United States, and Russia were introduced. Steve and Gwen were extremely flattered when Vlad made a point of introducing them to his father at his first opportunity.

"My son was extremely impressed with your courage and genuine concern for the injured at the scene of that terrorist bombing. You seem to have a sixth sense for situations like that. You are becoming known as something an anti-terrorist expert, and this troubled world can use as many of them as we can get. Ms. Anderson, the photo of you with the newborn baby is remarkable," praised the Russian leader as he shook hands with the couple.

"Thank you, sir, for your kind words and for inviting us to this affair," responded Steve in perfect Russian. "Gwen and I are honored. You can be very proud of Vlad and Anna. They responded very well to the emergency that afternoon."

Gwen was unable to determine what Steve had said to the Russian president, but she had no trouble identifying the pride displayed by their host at Steve's comment. As Novokov moved away to greet other guests, Gwen was quickly filled in by Steve.

Just as Steve finished his explanation, President D'Anjou and his wife approached them. "You've managed to win over Russia in a week's time. I could be here a hundred years and they would still have little use for me."

"Sir, I would like to ask you a few questions about the Russian spy situation, if I could. Can you find a few minutes for me this evening?" asked Steve.

"For you, I can, but do not expect me to release that spy. That is not negotiable," flatly stated the French President before he led his wife away to greet other attendees.

"It sounds like the trade talks are in trouble," reasoned Gwen. "D'Anjou is unyielding on this situation."

"The one thing about politics is this; there are no certainties," countered Steve as he guided Gwen toward the American delegation. "At least he didn't shout and pound his shoe on a table, so we shouldn't take his statement as a definite 'no'. He just needs 'persuasion' in the form of something his nation needs, or wants."

The couple had been chatting with several American representatives to the conference when Gwen noticed that the people near her had become quiet and somewhat rigid. Glancing around, she looked directly into the face of President Hanson. The president offered his hand, but Gwen stepped by it and hugged him. Grinning, the President of the United States patted her gently on her back.

"Steve, don't blame me," laughed President Hanson as Gwen released him. "I was going to shake her hand, but this was much better. You two have done all we could've hoped for, and a lot more on this trip. I can't tell you how much you've helped us with the Russians. I almost think we could trade you two for Siberia."

"Sir, Gwen's far better than I at making friends and influencing people. That hug just demonstrated that. I'll be happy with a simple handshake," joked Steve as he shook the President's hand. "Any success we've had on this trip is because of her brains and charm. I just tag along and try to not create any problems."

President Hanson studied Steve for a moment before he grinned again. "You don't mind if I use that line, do you? Gwen is certainly everything you say she is, but your attempt to diminish your own accomplishments is a waste of effort. My people have kept me well informed. That modesty works well for you, however."

Beatrice and William Patterson had been chatting with Paula and Ted when President Novokov greeted Steve and Gwen. As they watched, the Russian leader left them to speak to other guests. Soon the French President began chatting with Gwen and Steve. A short time later, Beatrice almost swooned when Gwen stepped up to the President of The United States and hugged him!

"My God! Is that girl confident, or what? She just hugged the President like they're old friends. Look how easily Steve smiles and speaks with him! I never thought I'd live to see this. My grandson has just spoken with the Presidents of France, Russia, and the US. And they all treated him like a friend."

"We've almost become accustomed to it," laughed Paula as she beamed with pride. "They've met President Hanson several times and he's called a couple of other times. He treats Gwen and Steve very well. I will say that."

Soon everyone was summoned to the ballroom, where dinner was to be served. Remembering how far they sat from the head table the first time they attended a state dinner, the group drifted to the far end of the room in search of a table reserved for them. They had scanned several tables without finding theirs when a well dressed man approached Steve and spoke to him in Russian. Steve nodded and the man quickly walked away.

"It seems that we're looking in the wrong area," revealed Steve as he gently took Gwen's arm. "May I escort you to our table, Madam?"

The entire group was dumfounded when Steve led them to one of several tables directly in front of the main table. They looked for, and found, their name tags placed next to the dinner ware.

"Holy Cow!" gasped Kate. "Last time we sat by the bathroom. Now we're at the best table in the place. I bet Gwen and Steve will be sitting at the main table with the President the next time we come to one of these!"

The group remained standing until all of the dignitaries sitting at the head table were introduced. Both Presidents D'Anjou and Hanson gave short speeches. President Novokov welcomed everyone and then singled out the table of Americans for special notice. He spoke glowingly about the bravery and compassion demonstrated at the site of the bombing. He praised their response and even mentioned how emotional it was to watch the group kneel and pray for those killed in the attack. He then asked Gwen, Jordan, and Steve to stand and be recognized for the great performance they presented at the opening of the Olympic Stadium.

Once again, the Patterson and the Anderson families absolutely beamed with pride. The three kids received a long ovation and bowed several times before resuming their seats. Jordan had a huge smile as she sat back down between Steve and Charlie.

"A few months ago, I was in rehab for all sorts of addictions. My career was circling the drain. Then Clyde put me with Gwen and Steve. The rest is history!" stated Jordan with obvious pride.

After everyone finished dinner, a small orchestra began playing dance music. Beatrice and Paula looked at each other in surprise as Steve leaned over the table and spoke to Gwen loud enough for the rest to hear.

"Remember to tell the big three just enough to whet their appetites when you're dancing with them. I have to have their undivided attention for a few minutes. Believe me, they all understand English well enough to know what you're telling them. Since it's unlikely that they'll be asking me to dance, this falls on you. I can't imagine any of them not asking for at least one turn around the floor with you tonight. You're incredibly beautiful!"

It was apparent to those at the table that Steve and Gwen had formulated a plan of some kind and Gwen was going to make the initial contact with the world leaders. Before anyone could ask any questions, Steve stood, took Gwen's hand and led her out to the dance floor.

"Do you have any idea what your daughter and my grandson are up to?" asked a confused Beatrice. "It sounds like they have business with President D'Anjou, President Novokov, and President Hanson. Gwen is going to ask them to speak with Steve about something, if and when they dance with her."

"I have no idea what they've got planned, but I'm sure it'll be successful," opined Ted proudly as he responded to Beatrice's observation. "Those two constantly do things others wouldn't even think of. Let's just watch and see what develops."

Steve danced with Gwen. The next dance saw him dancing with Nadiya while Gwen danced with her father. "You have made many friends in Russia with your bravery and your compassion, as well as you're singing. Father says that he has never seen Russia embrace Westerners the way they have you. He just wishes that this conference would result in more trade with the West. Russia has exerted its influence to prevent the smaller countries from making new agreements, and it's mostly because they are angry at the French. It's so unfair!"

"Nadiya, don't get your hopes up, but Gwen and I are going to try to help France and Russia find a solution to that issue. If that happens, this trade conference could be very successful."

Nadiya suddenly stopped moving. Her jaw dropped as she stared at Steve. She replayed his comment over in her head several times. A huge smile returned to her face as she once again began dancing with Steve.

"I think that if the big, brave American hero and his beautiful, smart 'Lady in Red' try to solve this problem, it will be resolved. No one else in the world has the ear of these three leaders the way you and Gwen do tonight. If you manage to pull this off, I will see that the Ukraine is aware of your efforts and shows you the proper appreciation!"

The dance ended and Steve found himself guiding Mrs. D'Anjou around the dance floor while Gwen danced with her husband. Steve wasted no time in starting his plan in motion.

"This impasse with Russia is harming trade relations, as well as diplomatic efforts. I want to speak to your husband about releasing the Russian spy. It return, France could receive a guaranteed supply of energy at a set price, well below market. Do you think he would listen?"

"Young man, my husband has been striving to find a pathway out of this situation. If you can offer him something that our people will benefit from, he just might be able to release the spy, yet maintain our national pride. If you can back up your statements, he will listen. I will put a small bug in his ear about this. He will be looking to speak with you privately, I am certain."

Two dances later, Steve escorted Michelle D'Anjou onto the dance floor. "My father has asked me to relay to you a message. He will be over admiring that huge, ugly painting on the west wall when this dance is over and would like you to join him. It seems that you and Gwen have piqued his interest on some important matter. You are even more than you appear to be, which is saying a lot. If you help my father, and my country, you will always be welcome in our home. Good luck!"

A short time later, Steve found himself speaking in low tones to President D'Anjou as the two pretended to admire a large painting of wolves pulling down a huge stag. No one else was within hearing.

As they exchanged thoughts, they became slightly more animated. Both men used their hands to emphasize certain points. As the conversation continued, more and more people became aware of the private meeting between the two men. By the time the two nodded and shook hands, almost every head in the huge room was turned in their direction.

Nadiya had taken Steve's seat at the American table while the conversation between the two men was in progress. "Your handsome male 'friend' is right now performing a miracle. It is obvious why you all love him so much, especially the ladies. I think he can do anything, and I have only met him a few times. I fear I am as hopeless where he is concerned as the rest of you. You must be very proud."

"You've got that right!" exclaimed Kate, deciding instantly to state Gwen's claim on Steve. "He and Gwen are going to do some amazing spy stuff and probably save a few million people, or more. I'm not exactly sure how, or what they're doing, but I sure love the guy. I couldn't be prouder that he's my sister's boyfriend, actually my sister's lover. This is way too cool!"

"It appears that Gwen has some more competition," stated Beatrice with a smile after Nadiya returned to her table. "That young Ukrainian girl is as beautiful a woman as you're likely to find. Does Gwen ever suffer from envy? Women appear to be drawn to my grandson, as is evident everywhere we go."

"Strangely enough, Gwen is actually pleased that women find Steve so attractive. She's very secure with him now. She's had her moments early on, but they've reached an understanding. They trust each other completely. I guess it was forged when they saved each other's lives a few times. That's the sort of thing that builds trust," replied Paula thoughtfully.

Steve danced with Kate and Lisa next. They had practically jumped him when he returned to their table. Both girls insisted that he explain what was going on. Steve gave them some background but explained that 'lose lips sink ships', so he couldn't go into details.

Meanwhile, Gwen was grilled by Ted and then William Patterson as she danced with each man. "All I can tell you is that Steve feels that he can help offer a very simple solution to a very complex issue. I'm trying to warm up the big three so they will allow Steve to deliver his pitch. We have no idea how this will play out."

Steve escorted Varvara Suchkov for the next dance. "You said that you had questions for me? Everyone saw you in conference with President D'Anjou. It appeared that you had a very serious discussion. How does it involve me, if I may be blunt?"

"I believe that France can be persuaded to release your full time hero and part time spy, if President Novokov is willing to negotiate a little. It would pave the way for a successful Olympics."

"I will mention this to my father, who has Novokov's confidence. I know he wants very much to free our most famous Olympic hero, who is not a spy! He may have been a bit too inquisitive, but he is not a spy.

"Will you hold me a bit closer? I have some friends watching us? You have become favorites in Russia. Your efforts to help Mother were well publicized here. The wonderful concert you gave, along with your group's quick and compassionate response to that horrible bombing, have all gone a long way to making you a household topic of conversation, in a very favorable way. My friends will be so envious seeing us dance together."

Paula was next to dance with Steve. She kept the conversation light, not wanting to disturb Steve's concentration on his task. Gwen danced with her father. As they finished, President Novokov bowed to Gwen. Soon she was dancing with the leader of Russia while Steve found Mrs. Novokov in arms.

"My husband is very curious about your thoughts on freeing our innocent Olympic champion from the clutches of the French. He would like to speak with you at his table after this dance, if he remembers that he asked. Your lady friend is very beautiful and he does appreciate beauty."

Steve didn't have the time to ask Mrs. Novokov what she meant by her comment. The dance ended and Steve quickly moved to meet President Novokov at his table. He saw the Russian leader escort Gwen to a seat. As Steve approached, Novokov gestured to a seat next to Gwen.

"What is this talk about finding a way to persuade the French to release Sergei? If you know of a way, please share it with me," insisted Novokov in Russian. "What will it cost Russia?"

Once again, those in attendance watched closely as Steve had an animated discussion with a world leader. The two men spoke around Gwen, who had no idea what was being said, but could easily tell that Steve was very firm and self assured. Suddenly the two men stood, stopped talking, and shook hands. Gwen felt relief immediately. The conversation had been quite intense for a couple of minutes.

Steve guided Gwen to her feet. President Novokov bowed to her and smiled. "Thank you for the dance, as well as the work to free Sergei," stated the Russian in broken English.

Most of the guests in attendance were openly staring at Gwen and Steve as they returned to their table. As soon as they were seated, Senator Chatham plopped down without ceremony in a seat next to Steve.

"The president is extremely curious to know what you're up to. Are you making deals without his knowledge or permission? This is not a game. If you've managed to screw up our improving relations with Russia, he'll come down on you like a ton of bricks," promised the senior senator. "I'm the one that suggested that you keep your eyes and ears open for information. Now it looks like I'll be lucky to find a spot on some agricultural committee after this mess."

'Senator, you've got to stop talking so much, and so loudly. Take a deep breath and relax. I'm aware of what's at stake here," responded Steve quietly and calmly. "You're being watched by a lot of people from a lot of nations. We don't want them to get the wrong idea. When President Hanson's efforts to resolve the French/Russian disagreement come to fruition, he'll want to accept credit. If people see you flying off the handle, they'll be far less likely to believe he was instrumental in the solution. It would be good if you smiled at Gwen and me, shook our hands, and left to ask President Hanson to speak with Gwen and me for a few minutes."

Senator Chatham had stopped talking when Steve urged her to do so. She just stared at him as he explained what he expected from her. William Patterson, Beatrice, Ted, Paula, and Jason were stunned at the way Steve addressed the powerful senator. They knew enough about national politics to know that the senator was a close confidant of the president's. The held their collective breath as they waited for the inevitable explosion from Senator Chatham.

Slowly, she began to nod her head. She extended her hand to Steve, who shook it firmly. Then she did the same with Gwen. "If you two will excuse me, I have to speak with President Hanson."

"Jesus, Steve! Senator Chatham is one of the most powerful members of congress!" exclaimed the usually reserved Jason as he worked to keep his voice low. "She can sink your career at the Academy in a heartbeat. Where'd you get the balls to talk to her like that?"

"That was pretty harsh," agreed Gwen, "but she should have kept her voice down and been a lot less demonstrative. She knew people were watching and she was distancing herself from us, so if this deal goes into the crapper, she won't go down with us."

"Yeah, I had the same feeling," agreed Steve. "She was assuming far too much. I think she's seen the light. She'll be our best friend by the end of the evening. That's the way politics work, and that's why I'll never be a politician. Total honesty and transparency are unheard of in Washington. We'll see how this all shakes out before I worry about my career, although I do appreciate your concern, Jason."

An aide of the president approached Steve's table and spoke quietly in Steve's ear. Steve listened carefully and then responded, "I think it'd be best if President Hanson met Gwen and me over by that ugly painting of the wolves and the stag. The other presidents didn't conceal our discussions and I don't think it'd help their trust issues if we meet in private."

Everyone at the table watched the aide walk away. Suddenly William Patterson broke into a smile. "You just told that man to tell the President of the U.S. to meet you under your terms, while rejecting his. My God, how I could use you at board meetings! Either we'll be escorted out of here in chains, or you'll be talking with the President of the United States under that big painting. Anyone care to place any wagers?"

"Come on, Gwen, we may have to go meet with the President," urged Steve as he stood and then helped Gwen gain her feet. "Let's wander over and study Russian art."

As Steve and Gwen made their way to the far end of the room, Gwen noticed the intense interest their actions drew. "Everyone's watching us. Do you think they know what you're trying to accomplish? This is very exciting. How do you dare speak to these powerful men like you do?"

1...345678