Lady in Red Pt. 02 Ch. 11

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

"Kate, you do it all for me. When can we get married? I want to start those babies you promised my mother right away!" teased Chip.

"There won't be any babies before I finish law school, you reconcile with your father, and I have a band on this finger," declared Kate. You'd better make sure that you do what you can to make everything happen."

"I can't make my father listen..." Began Chip before Kate placed a finger over his lips.

"Do you see me, Chip? Are you really looking? I wouldn't think you'd let your dad stand between you and this body. You need to get your priorities figured out. If I'm not on the very top of that list, I'll help you get well and then say goodbye."

"Okay, I'll reconcile with my father, no matter what it takes," agreed Chip as he looked into Kate's eyes. "You already mean the world to me, Kate. You're the only real priority I have any more."

Kate gave Chip a big smile, but was interrupted before she could say anything. "Okay, girls! Here are all of your tops. Please put them back on now. I think Chip, and every other male here, has been cheered up. I allowed this as a special welcoming for Chip, but now it's time to cover up. You'll be on the internet again!" chided Paula as she handed out the tops to the girls.

The next day two FBI agents came to the Anderson residence and spent hours taking statements from everyone that had come into contact with the man they had thought was Mark Neary. Ashley was questioned closely since she had spent a lot of time with him. Steve and Chip were asked a lot of questions as well, since they were the reason the real Mark Neary was supposed to go to Sparta. After about eight hours of questioning, the FBI men left with extensive notes, but few answers to their most pressing questions.

Jared and Naomi had to report the following week. Jason was required to return to active duty in two weeks. He was fully recovered from his injuries in Colombia and was doing the paperwork to be discharged. With a baby on its way, he and Lisa decided that his most important duty was to his family.

That was also the week that Becky made it back to Sparta. She strolled out to the pool late on a Wednesday afternoon. "Hey, Steve, Gwen, Kate, Ashley! How's everyone? Anything happen while I was off filming in New Zealand?

"Seriously, I heard all about it. You guys are followed very closely in New Zealand and Australia. They were always asking me about you. I was thinking of flying back when I heard that Steve had been exchanged for those kids, but what then? If I'd known that you were going to Iraq to kick some butt, I would have met you there. I'm sure glad you're okay, Steve!"

"I never knew her to be so talkative," laughed Ashley as Becky wrapped her arms around Steve and gave him a smoldering kiss. "She didn't use to be so forward either. Remember when we asked Steve to try to bring her out of her shell? Now look how she's doing. TV shows, movies, and promotions are all in a day's work for her."

"Well, it's Gwen's fault for being so generous with her guy. If Steve thought I looked okay, I knew other guys would, too. It's great to be back and to see all of you, even though Steve looks a little banged up. At least he kept his head. That would have been worse than losing a hand!"

"Another beautiful, famous woman?" observed Chip as he wheeled across the pool deck. "I recognize you from the movies! You're Becky Summers!"

"And I recognize you from the news reports I've been watching. You're Chip Martin. I've also heard that I had better not get too interested in you or Kate will be all over me. It's great to meet the guy that saved the guy that pretty much saved me."

Over the next couple of weeks, Gwen began to worry about their annual July 4th bike ride. Steve had a cast on his arm and his ribs weren't healed entirely. Chip was not walking yet and riding a bike was out for some time. Lisa and Jordan came up with the solution to the dilemma.

"I'm getting pretty fat, Steve is bunged up, and Chip has months of rehab in front of him before he's back to where he was," pointed out Lisa. "We were thinking it might be nice to have July 4th here in Sparta. We have some serious military heroes here in our home town. We could invite bikers and everyone else to ride here and help us celebrate. Lady in Red supplies free burgers, hot dogs, and drinks and this town celebrates.

"That's a great idea! We can make floats and have a nice parade. Let's speak to the town council and see if they'll go along with it!" enthused Gwen.

Talking the town into having a big celebration for the Fourth was a simple thing, especially once Lady in Red Productions promised to cover all expenses incurred with the event. The parade was set for noon with a free concert given by Gwen, Jordan, Charlie, and Steve scheduled for six in the evening. Steve would not be playing guitar with his arm in a cast and his ribs still tender, but he would be able to sing.

Lady in Red Productions had an even dozen floats made with different themes for the parade. The close friends were each allowed to design their own float with the company then having it built and readied for the big day.

When word was released about the concert and parade, people began streaming into town days before the Fourth. Once again, all hotels, motels and bed and breakfasts were filled. Two campgrounds that had recently opened were also at capacity. Billy's father along with Ralph Smith, stopped in to thank the group while they were dining at Marsh's on July first.

"The town is doing a land office business!" declared Ralph as he shook Steve's hand. "Your company has been a lifesaver for the local merchants, businesses, and labor force. I can see it every day in the savings accounts and mortgage payments being made at the bank. You've given people good jobs with generous pay and benefits. You're the attraction that lures so many tourists to town."

"Sometimes we seem like we take it all for granted, but we don't," added Billy's father. "We've been able to expand this business and have Billy join us because you folks have put us on the map. Giving a free concert and supplying so many floats for the parade has really drawn people in. You stayed with this town when a lot of people would have moved to Hollywood or New York. Thanks, guys."

Politicians and local dignitaries were eager to participate in the parade. Senator Chatham came and rode in a red convertible, waving to the crowd of spectators. The Republican candidate for Congress even came to town to walk in the parade and have his supporters pass out pamphlets. While very few people were rude enough to jeer him, the spectators were noticeably quieter when he marched past them, waving and smiling to the crowd.

As the parade wound down, Gwen and Jordan moved close to the huge American flag waving over the LiR CPA. There was a huge crowd that filled the street in both directions, as well as the park across the street. The jumbotrons had been on, broadcasting the parade. They now focused on the girls as they sang the National Anthem. The applause and cheering lasted long after the girls ended the song. Then Senator Chatham stepped up to the microphone.

"I won't ruin this great day with a long-winded speech," promised Senator Chatham. "I'd simply like to point out that we're celebrating our nation's birth. It was built on the principles of service, sacrifice, courage, discipline, and honor. No town in the nation better exemplifies these qualities than Sparta! You have the mother lode here! Thank you all for showing what America can be, and what we all need to strive toward. I am humbled to be here today and I thank you all for being the kind of citizens, parents, siblings, sons, daughters, and patriots that you are. Thank you, Sparta for leading the way and showing the rest of the country the best of what we Americans can be!"

The applause was long and loud as the crowd was pleased with the praise from the senator. Then a chant began for Gwen to speak. As a politician, Senator Chatham immediately sensed the mood of the huge audience. She motioned for Gwen to come forward. Gwen blushed slightly as she accepted the microphone from the senator.

"Thank you! The Spartan Nation has been tested over the years and has endured! We've grown closer and prospered together. We've seen incredible courage overcome senseless hatred. We've seen how much we can accomplish when we work together to help those less fortunate. This is a wonderful country and the Spartan Nation is the very best of the best!

"I'd like to acknowledge all of our service men and women here today. They're heroes. Thank them today when you see them. Be proud of them. They've earned it. I've already been cautioned about mentioning any names for fear of leaving some out. I'd never want to do that. We have hundreds and perhaps thousands of vets in Sparta for the holiday and we thank each and every one of them.

"And to put rumors to rest about our next movie, it's going to be filmed here in Sparta! Steve is recuperating, so we had to tweak the script a little, as well as keep him close to his doctors and the hospital. We'll try to not upset traffic or daily routine too much, but we'll be filming on the streets and in some businesses in town. Please be patient with us. We'll need extras for some street scenes and will appreciate those of you that are willing to fill in when needed. Filming starts next week and we hope you'll like the movie when it's done!"

The concert was a huge success. Steve actually sang a few more songs than usual since he wasn't able to play guitar. He teamed with Jordan on several and with Gwen on half a dozen. New jumbotrons had been placed in several strategic locations on Main Street to allow people farther removed from the event to see the show. Merchants were given live feeds so that their patrons could watch and listen while shopping and eating. The evening was a huge success and the town fathers were delighted. After all, how many towns across the country could claim that the top acts in the music industry not only lived there, but used their talent and time to promote local tourism and business?

The new film project was Ashley's idea and was fully embraced by Lady in Red Productions. Having seen posters of Gwen as Wonder Woman, Ashley had drawn up a rough outline for a movie. It was obvious to Ashley that Gwen was the prototypical Wonder Woman. She knew that men would buy tickets to the movie just to see Gwen perform various stunts in her scanty costume. If the movie involved romance and Steve Hammer, females of all ages would pay to see it. Add some action and several more beautiful women and handsome guys and it would be a success. If it had a good plot, was well written and performed, it would be huge.

That summer, it became fairly common for the citizens and tourists to see Wonder Woman on the streets of Sparta. Much of the filming was done in local businesses and familiar locations in the Spartan Nation. Hotels and motels within a hundred miles were filled to capacity all summer as tourists flocked to Sparta to see the Amazon Queen and her friends make their film.

The scenes that had Steve and Gwen interacting in public were the most popular. Steve wore his cast through the first few weeks of filming so his broken arm was written into the movie. Jordan, Kate, and Naomi, who managed to get a month off from the Navy, were Gwen's trusted lieutenants and wore similar outfits as Gwen, except their outfits had no red, which in the Amazon world, was used to signify royalty.

The town fathers hated to see the movie end filming, but they needn't have worried. Jordan and Charlie's wedding was scheduled for the next weekend and the town once again began to fill up in anticipation. Jordan and Charlie had sent invitations to personal friends and family, but also invited the public to join in the celebration.

By Saturday afternoon, when Steve, in his Navy Dress uniform, walked the incredibly beautiful bride down the aisle at LiR CPA, a crowd estimated at a hundred thousand watched from vantage points all over Sparta. Jordan and Charlie sold the rights to broadcast the wedding to a cable channel for several million. That money was immediately donated to charities helping veterans acclimate to civilian life by finding homes, jobs, and medical care for them.

The group had several different bands play at the reception as Jordan and Charlie did their best to dance with as many people as they could. Steve and Gwen were in great demand as well. Chip was using a cane and although doing very well in his recovery, was unable to take to the dance floor. Kate danced with her friends and family, but for the most part, remained close to Chip.

It was almost midnight when a limo pulled in front of the building and Jordan and Charlie waved to the crowd as they headed for the door. Charlie gave Gwen a hug and kiss while Jordan kissed Steve long and hard. Then she smiled to the crowd, grabbed Charlie's hand and climbed into the limo.

There was still a huge number of people enjoying the food and drink, so Gwen and Steve changed into more comfortable clothes and joined the band that was performing at the time. They sang their hits, both duets and singles. Gwen had a fair number of big hits to select from by that time. For their last song, Steve sat at the piano and motioned for Gwen to join him.

He started playing as Gwen watched. Then he began singing the Bryan Adams song 'Please Forgive'. The lights were dimmed except for a soft light on Steve and Gwen. There was no doubt possible for those that watched that Steve was singing for Gwen alone. His voice would quaver slightly with emotion as he sang. Gwen's eyes misted over as she smiled broadly. As he ended the song, Gwen leaned into him and kissed him gently on the lips. The audience roared its approval as Steve and Gwen bowed one last time before leaving the stage. Several weeks later, when the song was released with a video, it became a huge smash. It rivaled Gwen's recent 'Woman in Love' for air play and sales.

Ten days after Jordan's wedding, Gwen and Steve traveled to Washington to appear before the Senate Select Committee on Intelligence. The media coverage, both as they entered the Capitol Building, and as they testified was intense. The committee chair was a lady Senator from California. She introduced Steve and Gwen and then allowed the vice chairman an opportunity to speak.

He wasted no time questioning the validity of whatever Steve and Gwen would have to say. He insisted that there was no way they could know what the intelligence community was trying to accomplish, nor how they were going about it.

"In fact, aren't you here to campaign for the House of Representatives, Ms. Anderson? You've made a career and a great deal of money from exposing yourself in movies and in risqué music videos. Why would anyone even take you seriously?" finished the pompous senator as he looked down on Gwen from his position on the podium in front and above her.

"Senator, you're engaged in a very difficult reelection campaign of your own," began Gwen as she glanced at the notes she had brought into the chamber. "In fact, aren't you here in an attempt to garner votes by pandering to your base? You impugned me, Sir, by suggesting that I am looking for votes, and that since I appear in movies and music videos, I should not be taken seriously.

"Allow me to suggest that a man in as highly a respected and important position as you are, should not be getting assistants pregnant and then paying them to have an abortion! How could anyone take you seriously, Sir?" demanded Gwen hotly.

"Order!" insisted the lady chairman as the room suddenly came alive. "You're here to answer questions, Ms. Anderson! You cannot come into these chambers and make malicious and slanderous statements!"

"Madam Chairman, are you telling me that only United States Senators are allowed to slander and attack citizens in this forum? That we have no recourse? I responded in kind to the Senator's question and I'll continue to do so. If you ask us civil questions, we will attempt to answer them. If anyone feels the need to enhance their questions with insults and personal attacks on us, we will respond in kind, as allowed by the constitution of this country. The very constitution that Steve has shed blood to preserve and protect, I might add.

"We will not sit here and be treated like criminals, or second class citizens. We have earned respect, and we demand it! Can the members of this committee say the same? As you all know, Steve and I have considerable resources at our disposal. We used some of those resources to delve deeply into the backgrounds of the members of this committee. We will not hesitate to divulge anything our people have uncovered, if we feel it is incumbent upon us to do so.

"We are prepared to offer substantial proof of any, and all accusations we make. We're also prepared to go to court if it should become necessary. We love this country and we will not sit idly by while justice and truth are ignored simply because lies are more convenient."

"Are you threatening this committee, Ms. Anderson?" questioned the incredulous chairman.

"If this committee finds that the truth is threatening, than it would appear that Steve and I are doing exactly that. We're here today to tell the truth. You tell me, Madam Chairman, does this committee find that threatening?" asked Gwen seriously.

The lady chairman studied Gwen for a few moments as she composed her thoughts. An aide leaned close to her and whispered something. "It appears that we have gotten off on the wrong foot. I will ask that the members of this committee remain focused on questions for our witnesses and resist the urge to politic, grandstand, or attack. You've seen what can occur if you go that route. Do you wish to ask any more questions, Mr. Vice-Chairman?"

The vice chairman was sweating profusely and his face was a deep shade of red. He simply shook his head in the negative and looked down at his notes.

"Thank you," responded the lady chairman politely. "Senator Burrow, from the state of North Carolina is next. Please proceed."

"That was a rather ingenious method to avoid personal questions about your character and actions," began Senator Burrows as he watched Gwen flip through her notes. "We are not here to lobby for my character, or yours, Ms. Anderson.

"When you miraculously returned from Iraq with your lover, Mr. Hammer, you made the statement that the State Department or the CIA dropped the ball. The CIA had committed a great deal of time and resources to finding Mr. Hammer, even though he lacked the judgment and foresight to report that he was traveling to Iraq and that he would foolishly exchange himself for those hostages. Do you realize that the CIA had a drone fire a missile into the warehouse stronghold of the terrorists, killing at least nine known terrorists? This only occurred after painstaking efforts on the ground and through the airwaves to determine where these men were hiding. Does that sound like the CIA was apathetic to Mr. Hammer's plight?"

"Does it 'sound' apathetic?" repeated Gwen carefully. "No, Sir, it does not. It sounds good, but it's only sound, and not fact. That report is not accurate."

"You're claiming that you know better than the CIA about what occurred in that warehouse?" marveled Senator Burrows. "Obviously, Mr. Hammer wasn't there, or he wouldn't here right now. Are you stating that the CIA drone did not destroy that building? That those dead men were not terrorists, or maybe that it wasn't a drone that fired that missile?"

"Steve and I are disputing the statement that the Hellfire Missile killed those men. They were in fact terrorists, but they had been dead for hours before the missile struck. The CIA only learned of the warehouse when it intercepted an email that Steve sent to me, and they then destroyed that building thinking that Steve was still in it!" declared Gwen with a great deal of passion. "The CIA tried to kill Steve to further its goal, which was to persuade the United States to engage in war with Iran."