Lady Ironside Ch. 02

Story Info
Our new heroine leads the investigation of the case.
8.6k words
4.79
10.3k
4

Part 2 of the 3 part series

Updated 06/08/2023
Created 10/25/2016
Share this Story

Font Size

Default Font Size

Font Spacing

Default Font Spacing

Font Face

Default Font Face

Reading Theme

Default Theme (White)
You need to Log In or Sign Up to have your customization saved in your Literotica profile.
PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

The chronological order of my stories is now listed in WifeWatchman's biography.

Feedback and constructive criticism is very much appreciated, and I encourage feedback for ideas.

This story contains graphic scenes, language and actions that might be extremely offensive to some people. These scenes, words and actions are used only for the literary purposes of this story. The author does not condone murder, racial language, violence, rape or violence against women, and any depictions of any of these in this story should not be construed as acceptance of the above.

Part 6 - Friends and Family

"What?!" Cash gasped, his eyes growing wide. "She's... dead?"

"I am sorry to say that she is, sir." I said. "You will be escorted to our morgue across the parking lot to identify her body. I must also state that you are a person of interest in her death, and that you need to stay in this County, and let us know if you leave the County. If you cross the State Line, you'll be arrested as a wanted fugitive, and your parole will be considered violated. Do I make myself clear, Mr. Cash?"

Cash was just staring at me, as if a railroad train was bearing down on him. Finally he said "What happened? How did she die?"

"We're still investigating that." I said. "Now are you sure there is nothing you can tell us? Any threats to you or her? Was she seeing someone?"

"No, it's all like I said before." Cash said. He began getting his wits about him again. "Everything I said before was the truth, every bit of it."

"Very well." I said. "Do you have any idea where Tina Sasskind is?"

"Er, no." said Cash. "You think she has something to do with my wife's death?"

"I don't know, but I sure want to talk to her." I said. "Sergeant Rudistan, call the morgue. Have a couple of Officers escort Mr. Cash over for the identification. It might be a couple of days before we can release your wife's body to you, Mr. Cash." I stood up. "And again, don't leave the County without informing us. You might want to put some other people in charge at your business hubs outside the County until we get this cleared up."

"Was she murdered?" Cash asked, looking up at me. "Tell me, dammit... was she murdered?"

"We are trying to determine that now, Mr. Cash. Excuse me." With that, I left the Interrogation Room via the anteroom door.

* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *

Tanya Perlman watched the taped interview of Arnold Gay Cash as she, Cindy and I sat in my office. "Wow." she said.

"What do you both think of him?" I asked.

"No wonder the Iron Crowbar gets all the results." Tanya said with her playful grin. "He asks us for the answers first."

"Believe me, sister," Cindy replied, "he doesn't need us as much as we need him. He's just asking as a courtesy."

"Au contraire, ma cousine." I replied. "I really do seek and value your inputs, especially if they keep me from making a mistake that lets a killer go free."

"We're messin' with ya, Don." Tanya said. "As to Arnold Cash... he has some serious issues with women, he's been violent to his wife in the past, he seems totally unaware of what she might have been doing when out of his presence, and he got real antsy when you asked about their sex life. Ergo, he's a narcissist, only aware of himself and his world, he has an inferiority complex whenever he's challenged, especially by women, and only the threat of jail time is keeping him from hurting his wife. That last is just a guess."

"But accurate." I said. Just then, Lainie Everett knocked on the door.

I had her come in, and after some appropriate greetings with Tanya, Lainie said "Sir, I found a record in the Courthouse. Melissa Cash had just filed for divorce."

"How long ago?" I asked.

"Apparently that Thursday morning... by her lawyer, Virginia Madison, from the firm of Dewey, Burnham & Winn. The Court had not yet sent notice to Mr. Cash." said Lainie.

"This is great! Thanks, Lainie." I said. Lainie left as I opened the email she'd sent and quickly examined it.

"He never mentioned that she was going to divorce him." Cindy said.

"I'm not sure he knew." Tanya said. "He was emphatic about nothing being wrong in their marriage."

"He could be lying through his teeth about that." Cindy replied.

"I dunno." I said. "He figured out that we knew about the domestic violence incident, and that he's on probation. If he lied, or lies, about anything, we'll be all over him like a cheap suit."

"Yes," said Cindy, "but if he committed the murder of his wife, then he's in for a penny, in for a pound, and probably would lie about things like that. His alibi, such as it is, is very thin already---" She stopped talking as Tanya started laughing, unable to control herself. "What?" Cindy asked.

"I'm sorry." said Tanya. "I'm just remembering what the Iron Crowbar has said about alibis maybe a million times."

"And I told you a million times not to exaggerate, too." I said with a grin.

"So, Don, what do you think?" Cindy asked, not liking having lost control of the conversation.

"Ohhhhh..." I said, leaning back in my chair as much as I could with the back brace on, "I really want to know where Tina Sasskind is, why she didn't go home, why we can't seem to find her. To that end, Captain Ross, have the Duty Desk put out a nationwide APB for her. Have her passport flagged, have the airlines notified, all that good stuff."

"We already have, sir." Cindy said. "And no joy on any of it. You think she's involved?"

"I think you are trying to get me to theorize without data, Miss Ross." I said. "And your efforts will fail."

"God! I miss you guys!" Tanya said as she continued to laugh.

"We miss you too, too." I said. "And it's time for you to become 'Lady Ironside', and help us solve this case."

"Ooooh, yeah!" said Tanya excitedly. "Raymond Burr ain't got nuthin' on me!"

"Except that Raymond Burr was a Canadian-American." Cindy said proudly. "You can't match that."

"Touché." I conceded on Tanya's behalf.

* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *

Much to the surprise of the sports-following nation, the Bulldogs delivered Coach Ted Thrasher's first victory as they soundly whipped the State U. Purple Hawks 24-3. Their defense was stubborn, and an amazing improvement over the previous year.

Later that day, the Wildcats played State Tech. State Tech played dirty, with illegal chop blocks, late hits on the quarterback, and two personal fouls for hits out of bounds. But the worst was when a State Tech player went for the Wildcats's Senior running back's knees and injured him badly.

A big fight ensued, the State Tech player was thrown out of the game, but that didn't do the Wildcats any good... our running back was lost for the season. We would now have to rely on a promising but still green Freshman, Clarence 'Johnny' Appletree. He got a good start: four touchdowns as the Wildcats ran up the score, winning 63-10. Detective Theo Washington's cousin, Jamaal Washington, also a Freshman, caught two touchdown passes.

"State Tech is so dirty." said Laura as we watched the game at The Cabin. We were hosting 'the usual suspects' with a large food spread and general party. Carole decided she liked the red Wildcat dress she was wearing, making her daddy most very proud. Bowser barked whenever the Wildcats scored and Carole (and her dad) cheered.

Cindy was also rooting for the Wildcats against the hated Engineers of State Tech. Buddy had gone to Teresa the moment she walked into the house and had stayed with my Vice Lieutenant as if he were her dog... and that was okay with me.

Molly was staying at the Cabin with Ross and Ian, and my mother was all over the place, having cooked food and now serving it. Phyllis seemed to have a frantic energy about her, I observed. Todd noted it too, and mentioned it to me.

Later on, I talked to Laura in the kitchen in private. "Honey," I said, "can you use your super powers and invade some Court-sealed psychological reports for me?"

"I'm sure I can, Darling." Laura replied. "This Melissa Cash case?" I nodded as Laura said "That was before our time here, but as the official Police Psychologist, I can probably get the data without a warrant."

"Thanks." I said. "That'll help. Oh... and can you do one more thing for me?" When Laura heard my request, she smiled and agreed.

* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *

As we watched the Tigers play Protestant in the night game, Jack Muscone and I talked quietly as we pounded down some beers. Then Tanya rolled up in her wheelchair.

"Jack, will you do me a favor?" Tanya said. "Call whoever you call in the FBI and ask them and the local Police in Dallas to see if they can find Tina Sasskind? Her husband's team is playing the Cowboys in Dallas tomorrow."

Jack got out his cellphone and made the calls. When he hung up, I said "Very good thought, Tanya. Wish I'd thought of that."

"We have enough evidence for your witch trial already." Jack said. "I'll order some extra firewood for this SBI Lieutenant, though." Tanya grinned her cherubic grin.

* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *

Sunday morning, September 4th, 10:30am. Cindy and I were looking through the one-way glass into Interrogation-Alpha. Inside the room, guarded by Officer Lydia Green, was Tina Sasskind. And she was one very angry woman.

Tina had a very shapely body, helped by exercise. Her breasts were naturally large, her shape an hourglass, not quite as hot at Teresa Croyle, but pretty sexy. Her legs were smoking hot.

"What's going on?" asked Chief Moynahan as he came in.

"Tina was with her husband in Dallas, like Lt. Perlman realized." I said. "The FBI had the Federal Marshals arrest her and transport her here overnight. Her husband was told he could coach the game today, but he can expect to be escorted here after the game. And she is very pissed off about it."

"That's two that Tanya's gotten over on you." Cindy said to me.

"Didn't realize we were keeping score," I said, "but it's all good. Tanya is one sharp Detective. Okay, Captain, let's talk to Mrs. Sasskind, and follow my lead on the questioning."

We went into the room, where Tina's dark eyes glared at us. "Hello, Mrs. Sasskind." I said. "My name is Commander Donald Troy, and this is Captain Cindy Ross---"

"I know who you are." said Tina. "Why they hell was I handcuffed in Dallas in front of my husband and his coworkers and dragged up here?"

"Because, ma'am," I said, "you are a person of interest in a case we are examining. And for your protection, I will now read to you your legal rights." I read the Miranda warning from the card, and asked if Tina understood the rights.

Instead of answering, Tina said "Why am I here? Am I under arrest?"

"You are being detained." I said. "As a flight risk, having fled the State last Friday morning."

"I went to be with my husband." said Tina. "There's nothing wrong with that. It's a free country... or is it?"

"Odd time to fly down there." I said. "And by the way, our records show that you are not in the habit at all of visiting your husband during away games. So why the sudden interest in a visit now?"

"That's none of your business." said the woman.

"Mrs. Sasskind," I said, "would you like a lawyer to be present during this interrogation?"

"Do I need one?" Tina replied sharply.

"I would seriously recommend it." I said. "Mrs. Sasskind, where were you last Thursday night?"

Tina looked at me with surprise for a moment, then her face changed. "Yeah, I want that lawyer..."

* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *

The lawyer arrived within half an hour. He was furnished by a firm in the City, and had been provided by Coach Sasskind's team. His name was Chuck Prentiss, and he was a tall, slender, black man. He'd been a college football star, but didn't make the grade in the NFL, and so he completed his schooling and became an attorney for them.

He and Tina Sasskind conferred for twenty minutes, then Cindy and I went in and Officer Green also returned. "What is this about?" the lawyer asked.

"I'll tell you in a moment." I said. "I would like to know where Tina was last Thursday night.

"My client reserves the right to invoke at any time." said the lawyer. "But I will allow her to answer questions, one at a time, until she does revoke." I nodded my concurrence.

"Mrs. Sasskind," I said, "where were you Thursday night?"

"At the Hyatt Hotel." Tina said. "Getting my brains fucked out."

Most people would react to that, and the lawyer seemed shocked. Didn't faze me a bit, though, and Cindy was more than used to it by now, as well. Tina noted our lack of reaction.

"By whom?" Cindy asked simply.

"By two different men." said Tina. "One was Paul Claisson, a Frenchman. The other... I don't even know what his name was. But he had a big cock. A really huge dick."

"Does your husband know what you were doing Thursday night?" I asked.

"No." Tina said. "I guess he's going to find out, though, isn't he?"

"Why would you say that?" queried Cindy.

"This is about Melissa, isn't it?" Tina asked back.

"What do you know about Melissa?" I asked.

"She was there." said Tina. "She was with me and the guys. They were fucking her, too. Then she had that allergic reaction and injected herself with her epi-pen. She calmed down, seemed to be okay and breathing again, then Paul started panicking and ran out. The other guy said we should go and that he'd call an ambulance to come get Melissa. I wanted to stay but the guy said it might be on the news and my husband might see it. So I left. Melissa's okay, isn't she?"

I peered hard at the woman. Her face grew more concerned.

"Are you and Melissa good friends?" Cindy asked.

"Yes, pretty good." Tina said. "We hang out, go shopping together. She gets sloppy drunk and has to stay at my house sometimes, which pisses off her husband. It's just as well, he's a bad seed anyway. I'm always glad when she's not alone with him."

"Yet, you left her alone when she was having an allergic reaction." I said, my voice full of accusation.

"She was okay, though." said Tina. "And she'd had reactions before, and had injected herself, and she was fine."

"You're sure she was fine?" I asked. "You didn't tell anyone at the hotel about her, to check up on her?"

"No... the guy... oh, what was his name..." Tina said, "he said he called 9-1-1 but we had to leave because the Media monitors the ambulances."

That was true, I knew all too well. "Tina, did you and Melissa have sex parties at other times?"

"Uh... yeah." Tina admitted. "We went barhopping and hooked up with guys a lot. College guys are all over the place, and they're hot and randy and ready to satisfy us. Our husbands... my husband is never home, even during the off-season, and Melissa's husband is a dirtbag that can only get it up after they fight."

"Does he hit her?" Cindy asked.

"Not to my knowledge, ant least not since he got put in jail a few years ago." Tina said with some bitterness. "But he's mean. He says mean things to her. She knows he won't touch her or he'll go to jail, but he lords it over her. Fucks her when he's good and ready, but that's it."

"Had you... connected with these same two guys before?" I asked.

"With Paul, yes." said Tina. "The other guy, I didn't know him. He was new. Great in bed, though, I'd have him again if I could."

I thought about it a moment, then asked "Did Melissa ever have an allergy fit during one of these sex parties?"

"No." said Tina. "The other time I saw it was when she was helping her friend Emma with a cooking show. Emma was murdered several months ago, almost a year ago now, by the way. Anyway, Emma used some kind of peanut oil and Melissa didn't know it when she tasted the food. Melissa started having trouble breathing, and her face got red. She went right for that epi-pen, and after she injected it she got a lot better."

"Did she go to the doctor?" I asked.

"Yes." said Tina. "But she was okay."

"So Thursday night," I said, "she injected herself, you guys all left her, and you have no idea if she was okay or not?"

"That's right." Tina said. "But... an ambulance came, didn't it?"

I peered at her. The lawyer said, "Commander, at this time I need to ask you to tell us what is going on, or I'll ask my client to end the interview."

I looked at Cindy, then said "No, an ambulance did not arrive. Melissa Cash was found dead on Friday."

"Oh my God!" Tina gasped. "No! Say it isn't true!"

"It's true." I said. "And Mrs. Sasskind, you are a person of interest in her death. You will be required to wear an ankle bracelet and to surrender your passport, or else we will arrest you and hold you here in my jails."

"With what is she being charged?" asked the lawyer.

"She's shown herself to be a flight risk." I said. "And the charge is suspicion... of murder."

"What?!" Tina shouted. "I didn't kill her!"

"If that's the case, you'll be free to go once you're cleared," I said, "But not until then. Now..." I continued, looking more at the lawyer, "I would suggest you confer with your attorney. You can accept voluntary ankle monitoring, or we can arraign you tomorrow morning, meaning you'll spend tonight in County Jail..."

Part 7 - Friends and Lovers

7:00am, Monday, September 5th. You know what that means, in spite of it being Labor Day: Bettina!

"This is Bettina Wurtzburg, KXTC Channel Two News!" shouted the lovely redheaded reporterette from in front of the Courthouse complex on the east side of Courthouse Square. "Channel Two News has learned that several persons are being questioned in connection with the death of Melissa Darby Cash, who was found dead at the Hyatt Hotel on Friday morning!"

"Mrs. Cash is believed to have had an allergic reaction to peanuts, and she used an epi-pen to counteract the symptoms but still died at the scene." Bettina continued. "Police have arrested Tina Sasskind and Arnold Gay Cash, who were Mrs. Cash's friend and husband, respectively. Police have arrested them primarily upon suspicion, and cited that they were flight risks."

"And in other news," Bettina went on, "today is Labor Day, and that means politicians having rallies and making speeches! Governor Jared, whose lead over SBI Director Jack Lewis has slipped to 48-44% in the last couple of weeks, will be at the Rocktown Homespun Festival in the rural southeastern part of the State, while Jack Lewis will be visiting Southport and Jacksonville today. Experts say Jared is making a big mistake. Roll tape."

The tape from Amber Harris's program over the weekend was shown. Dr. Peter Romanov, Professor of Politics at the University, and reporter John Hardwood were the 'experts'.

"Yes, Amber," said Romanov, "Mr. Jared is concentrating on the rural areas, where the votes hardly count, while Director Lewis is working to gather votes in the larger populations, the votes that will decide the elections."

"Are you saying that the rural voters don't matter?" asked Amber.

John Hardwood answered "Yes, Amber. It's just like the Nation. 'Flyover Country' is unimportant. Their values of hard work, patriotism, and religious virtue are completely out of date. Today's key voters are millennials, women, immigrants, and minorities. They're all that matter, and Governor Jared is making a huge mistake in these Labor Day visits."

"Could this cost the Governor the election?" Amber asked, and her voice betrayed her hopefulness.

"It very well could, Amber." said Professor Romanov. "The Governor's only real positive virtue, law enforcement, is mitigated by Lewis being the SBI Director. The Governor has little to offer the voters that count the most. They do not want to hear the tired old stories of working hard and making one's own way. They want to know what the Government is doing to help them, be it financially or in prosecuting Bankers who donate lavishly to the Establishment Republicans as well as the Establishment Democrats, and in return are not prosecuted at all for financial crimes that devastate the common man."