Lady of My Heart Ch. 06

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

-

Jingali sighs and settles down to meditate. It has been a wild few days; first the raid gone bad, then the capture of the oddling and all the chaos that created. Nothing has been as it should be. Meditation will be a welcome respite from it all. Inhaling the incense deeply, he begins to tap on his drum and send his mind down into the other world only to discover something there that is far worse than what has been happening in the village. The oddling has a mate and that mate is soul sister to Bryynthde! The shock of this knowledge is enough to send Jingali back to his body but not before he hears Bryynthde roar in anger and demand penance from all.

Jingali jerks back to awareness and screams. He must inform the King and preparations must be made. Bryynthde is coming and soon. Jingali trembles in fear as he turns to look at the oddling strung up on the wooden frame. She must be awakened and protected. If Bryynthde is angered more by her treatment, she could raze the whole village or still worse all the villages.

All across Ruoh territory, Shamans jump and scramble to hurry to Jingali's village. Bryynthde is angered and must be appeased. Whomever has done the thing that angered the Dragon God must be punished and quickly!

-

I pause and pull my mount to the side of the column, stopping to watch the young wizards trailing along behind Captain Coby and his men. The king has sent all the wizards back with us to the capital to facilitate the building of a refugee camp. The remnants of the Demon's conscripted army have no homes. All we can do is build a camp for them now, and try to assist them with rebuilding their villages later.

I look forward to seeing my son Cordial again. We had word that his wound is not serious but little news else of him. I also anticipate meeting our new prince, though strangely this makes me uneasy.

I am told Jax rides to assist Dragon with the rescue of my daughter. Though it pains me not to be able to help Ames, I am relieved to not have to deal with Jax and Yelani yet. I don't know why I feel so badly betrayed by my wife's indiscretion. To actually feel her emotions through the bond while they were having sex wounded me more than I can understand. I can only hope that when all this is over Jax and I can repair our relationship. We have been together too many years to let it end like this.

-

The work here has gone well, we will begin to make our way to the capital soon. I can only hope all the preparations will be in order by the time we arrive, but since a wounded mass of downtrodden refugees afoot is much slower than the mounted wizardry I sent ahead, all should be as ready as can be.

I've received several strange and cryptic messages from the healers in charge of my son the prince. While all are confident in his health, there seems an underlying unease among them. When I sent a messenger back to ask if he had the look of me or his mother, I got no reply at all. I very much look forward to having a son though I've little experience with children. I am sure I can recruit plenty of aid to help me through the early years. I'd like to make Jax and Bedrian his godparents; they have certainly done well with raising their own children and, recent events aside, Jax would make an excellent mother figure for him.

As soon as the refugees can begin their journey, I will ride ahead to see my son and to make sure of the preparations. There is also the matter of the Demon to deal with. Plans will have to be made to find and take his final focus stone, once all our heroes have mended and regained their strength.

-

I awake to find Yelani gone from our tent and stretch my stiff joints before even attempting to rise. I suppose it is to be expected. Any woman of over 60 years, with numerous battles behind her, would be faced with much the same pains. I do find the thought of finally ending this struggle with the Demon and returning to the palace a pleasant one.

I know that Bedrian was sorely hurt by walking in on me with Yelani, and I pray I can repair that damage with time. I anticipate some happy news from Cordial and Stephan soon. Stephan has been asking a multitude of questions about conception whenever he can catch up to me and I had word from one of my maids that he has been asking around about finding a maid willing to bear a child for them. I think I will make a good grandmother, once I can settle down and stop this traipsing about healing battle wounded and chasing demons. Perhaps even Ames and Dragon will have children eventually, though the thought of Dragon playing at being a mother is somewhat comical.

Finally making my way outside the tent, I find Yelani sitting in a meditative pose facing the rising sun. After studying her for a moment I realize that something is not right. Her breathing is escalating and she trembles visibly. Just as I am about to reach out and touch her to bring her out of her trance her head snaps up and she lets out a loud hiss jumping to her feet.

"We must go, now!"

"What? What is it? Has something happened?"

"Yes! Bryynthde is angered! She has taken Dragon as her soul sister. I'm not sure when they will reach the Ruoh but when they do it could be very bad. If all of the dragon gods are angered by this it could even be bad for the Cinos as well. We have to get to them quickly!"

-

I am not afraid. I am not afraid. I am not afraid! Oh, hell why am I trying to fool myself? Until yesterday I'd never seen a real dragon and only about half believed they had ever existed. Now here I am clinging to one's back with a makeshift rope harness about to fly.

Breathe, little sister, do not forget to breathe. Just think of Ames and how terrified the Ruoh are going to be when we land and you dismount to take back your mate.

'I am more concerned with how terrified I am now! You do realize I have never been particularly happy with heights? If I do fall off don't bother flying down to catch me. I will be dead of fright before I fallen a hand's-breadth.'

'What? The brave and noble Dragon is afraid of falling? Say it isn't so!'

Once again I hear that deep rumbling cough that I know is her laughing at me. I am about to make a suitable retort when she takes me by surprise and leaps into the air, surging straight up out of the jungle at a speed that has me about to spew everything I have eaten for the last decade.

'Damn you Bryn! Aaaaaahhh!'

I can feel the muscles in her powerful torso flex and bunch beneath my thighs as she flaps those huge wings flying straight up. Then she suddenly comes to an almost complete stop, folding her wings to her sides, so high up the trees of the jungle look like grass and I realize what is about to happen.

'Nooooo Bryn!'

She turns herself downward and it is a plunge that has my cheeks (both sets) flapping in the wind. She pulls up just short of the treetops, making my stomach lurch worse still, and we hurtle off toward the rising sun. As I lean sideways to vomit I can't help but hope it plasters her tail!

Now, now little sister, remember I heard that thought.

'Damn! Between you and Ames I will never be able to get away with anything ,will I?'

Not very likely. Now, let us discuss my brothers and sisters and what to expect when we meet them. There is a protocol that must be adhered to. We want this to go as smoothly and quickly as possible so that we can get Ames away from the Ruoh and deal with the Demon.

-

Jingali hisses to bring the meeting of Shamans to order. The King, well, the one who was King, is now tied to the rough wooden frame that once held the Lady. There has been much grumbling amongst the Shamans about the events leading up to this, but it looks as if they can all finally come to an agreement. A vote is taken and the decisions made.

The Lady is to be awakened slowly so as not to make her ill with the drug sickness. When Bryynthde comes he who was once King will be offered to her as a sacrifice of sorts and her soul sister is to choose the new King.

Jingali looks over to where Ames now rests on a bed of catmint and flowers. She has been cleaned, dressed as best they could manage and sleeps peacefully. Jingali can only hope that she is none the worse for wear and will awaken from the drugs without sickness. It is still to be seen if she carries a cub and it worries Jingali that Bryynthde will be furious if it is so.

Just as Jingali prepares to adjourn the meeting of Shamans there is a loud commotion at the far end of the village. Warriors race to their weapons, preparing for trouble but it is too late; the diversion has worked. The Shamans suddenly find themselves surrounded by Cinos warriors, bows drawn and ready. A long line of Cinos Shamans appears out of the jungle and comes to a stop in front of the Ruoh.

-

No sooner than I have dismounted in the courtyard than I am met with the two healers left in charge here at the palace. I realize there must be issues that only I as Arch Mage can deal with, but surely they could let me at least come inside before I am waylaid with duties.

"Arch Mage we have an issue that you must see immediately. Please come this way. It is of the highest urgency."

"What is it, Muyridian? Surely it is not Cordial! I've been told for a week that his wound was not serious and healing well."

"No Arch Mage it is the Prince, please come quickly, I will have refreshments brought. I know you have had a hard journey after the battle but this cannot wait. I cannot really explain this, It is something you must see for yourself."

I follow the two scurrying mages through a maze of corridors to arrive at the royal nursery. Several guards step away from the door to allow me to pass. Entering the room I see nothing amiss. There is a small bundle in the massive ornate crib in the corner of the room and I approach quietly so as not to wake the babe. The first thing that startles me is the striking resemblance to Morbern, then the babe stirs and opens his eyes.

I am filled with sorrow and dread as I look into those two blood red eyes with slits for pupils. I know now that this is no child of our King but instead a child of Morbern while possessed by the Demon.

"Arch Mage, we could not to bear to send word to the King and him in battle, and now dealing with the refugees. He has already lost his Queen and now this. What are we to do?"

-

It is with great relief that I ride out of the camp. The wounded are ready to begin their journey and the mages can handle everything now. I ride for the capital with a small contingent of troops. I may yet make the Queen's memorial service if we can travel quickly enough. I look forward to meeting my son for the first time. I wonder if he has his mother's icy northern looks or my dark southern ones. No one has seen fit to inform me of what my son looks like, oddly enough, but with all the commotion going on I guess it is a minor detail. A son is a son. I now have an heir and a child to cherish and watch grow.

A half-dozen hours into our journey, I am surprised to be told that there are troops trailing us. It cannot be our troops so it must be the Demon and what army he has left. Now it is an all-out race to see if we can get to the capital and the safety of the walls and guards there before we are overtaken and captured.

From what I have seen of how the Demon that was once my brother treats captives I pray we can make it to safety.

-

I was wrong when I cursed this bird mount for its gait. Now that we have entered the jungle I am truly amazed. Not only did Yelani find a trail through this mess of jungle, but now these birds are in their element. I've never ridden anything this fast before. It has to go easily at twice the speed of a horse.

Yelani comes to a sudden bone-jarring halt ahead of me and I cling precariously to my bird as it follows suit. A Cinos steps from the jungle at the side of the trail and they begin to converse. I have begun to pick up a smattering of their language but I am not able to follow anything at all, though the animated waving of arms and hissing is a sign that it is not going to be good news.

"Jax, we have to go into Ruoh territory now, so ready your weapons and be ready for a fight. The council of Shamans has decided to move on the Ruoh and try to get Bryynthde to renegotiate terms when she comes."

"We are riding into a battle?"

"No, my people were to set up a diversion and take the Ruoh council by surprise. At most there will be a stand-off until Bryynthde arrives. It is the journey to the main village that worries me. If we come across any of their warriors in the jungle we are subject to capture. I've been captured before and I will not go alive."

"What does this mean for Ames? Is she in any worse danger than before?"

"It means she now has all the Shamans of both Cinos and Ruoh trying their best to protect her and keep her from harm. No matter how much hate is between them they all know that if anything happens to Ames all the gods are going to be angered and our peoples could be wiped out entirely. I just hope we can get there in time for me to assist in the negotiations. You being there may well sway Bryynthde to our side."

With that she turns to leap back on her mount and we streak off through the jungle again. I am not sure even in what direction we are going. I have to keep up or I will be lost forever in this maze of nearly undetectable trails and thick vegetation.

-

I've heard of volcanoes before but have never seen one until now. Bryn has climbed to such an altitude that I am shivering but still she climbs gradually. Ahead is a great smoking mountain and I see as we approach that it has a huge gaping hole where its peak should be. As we make our way to the edge of that hole I see how the dragons have managed to stay to themselves. It is a giant valley and in it are grass and trees; even a small river runs through it. There are several sets of bubbling pools throwing up steam, making it look like the mountain is smoking.

Bryn circles around to the west side of the hole and I see a large cavernous opening. We enter that opening and I am shocked to see a dozen or more dragons arrayed around the interior. All turn to look at us as we land and I am suitably intimidated. I struggle to remember the exact wording of the greeting I am to give as I dismount when suddenly I am struck by such a clamorous cacophony of voices inside my head that I scream, sinking to my knees. They are all talking at once and it is more than I can bear. Bryn roars, and it stops, but I am still unable to rise from my knees and can only weakly give the greeting I was to use.

'Do not worry sister. They understand they have hurt you with their stupid bickering. You don't have to try and talk to them. Just think at them as you do me and we will work this out.'

The largest of the dragons step forward and addresses me.

'As Bryynthde has told you on your way here we have known of this day for many years. We knew of it before you were born; we just did not know exactly when you would be born or how long it would take us all to reach this hour. Just as you were born to defeat the Demon, Bryynthde was born to be your familiar and to help you accomplish your fated task. Your mate has a role in all this as well. She will be the catalyst to bring about change to the peoples of the Cinos and the Ruoh. Watch now, small sister, and see what fate has in store for your kind and that of the other peoples of this world.'

A shimmering oval of light appears before the large dragon and I see in it a village of people. I realize it is full of groups of Cinos and Ruoh living together as families. The image flickers and then I see a young girl playing in the palace gardens. She has long red hair and big green eyes. As she turns I see she also has a tail though in all other ways she appears to be a normal child of my race. A young boy runs up to playfully tug at her pigtail and then produces a bouquet of flowers from behind his back, handing them to her. As they talk and play together, I see now that he has bright red eyes with slits for pupils and walks with an odd gait. They are joined by several other children, some of them Cinos and Ruoh, and my view shifts, showing a group of adults nearby preparing a picnic.

'You must guard these children well, small sister, and teach them to live together in peace for they are the future of this world.'

'But I don't understand. Whose children are they, who are their parents?'

'In time you will understand. Remember this day and what you have seen. Now, there is the matter of our cooperation in dealing with the Demon. There are rules that must be followed. Bryynthde is to aid you and we have some special gifts to help you as well but it all depends on a treaty that must be made between our races. We will aid you in this task and Bryynthde will be with you when you need her for the rest of your life, but neither you nor your kind can ever return to this place. You cannot even speak of this place to anyone save your King. Our race prefers to stay as legend and myth to your peoples. We want no more foolish young warriors attempting to climb our mountain in order to slay a dragon and become a hero. Let them all believe Bryynthde is the only one. Can you get your King to agree to enforce this rule among your kind?'

'I am sure I can get my King to agree to these terms.'

'Good! Now, behold your gifts. They were made many years ago and have been waiting for you here. First of all is a riding harness for Bryynthde. It will allow you to fight from her back as well as carry your gear and one passenger if needed. This armor was made from the cast off scales of Bryynthde as she grew to adulthood. It is far stronger and lighter than any armor your kind can make. The helm was made from the cranial bones of our matriarch long dead and will also protect you from the Demon's attacks to your mind. And this sword, this mighty sword, was made from the tail spike of our fallen patriarch and king. The Demon killed him by trickery and it is fitting that his weapon be yours now. You will honor the memories of our ancestors when you use these gifts to slay the Demon and rid all our peoples of his blight forever.'

I am delighted and amazed by these gifts! The armor is scale mail and the same bluish grey as Bryn's scales. The helm has short spiky deep blue horns, its body is a rich gold and gleams in the meager light of the cavern. The sword is long and wicked-looking, deep dark blue with serrations running the length of both its double edges. I step forward and take up the sword. It is light, not nearly half the weight of my current blade and when I take an experimental slash it makes a fearsome hiss as it cuts through the air.

'Thank you, Thank you all! I will be honored to use these gifts to avenge your dead and ours.'

-

Yelani and I skid into the Ruoh village just in time to see Ames rise from a bed of flowers and begin blasting everything in sight with fireballs. Cinos and Ruoh alike scramble for cover. I dismount, yelling to her and run to catch her in my arms just as she collapses.

Easing her to the ground, the healer in me takes over where the mother is paralyzed by fear for her safety. As I assess her condition, I realize she has been drugged, and is still heavily under its influence. The rope burns at her wrists and ankles make my blood boil with anger, the scratches and bite marks to her back make me want to do some blasting of my own, but she is in generally good condition, at least physically. Finally, I am shocked to realize she is with child, though it is early and I cannot tell much about the babe at this point. It seems to be progressing well. I am to be a grandmother sooner than I thought. I try to soothe her into a deeper sleep in order to prevent her from venting her ire once again. I know my daughter's temper well and, though she has a right to be angry, to have her kill all the Ruoh present would not be helpful.