Last Chance Ch. 01

Story Info
All she wants is to leave, but not like this.
4k words
4.18
26.2k
10
Share this Story

Font Size

Default Font Size

Font Spacing

Default Font Spacing

Font Face

Default Font Face

Reading Theme

Default Theme (White)
You need to Log In or Sign Up to have your customization saved in your Literotica profile.
PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

Hi, this is my first time posting on Literotica. I plan to make this story largely nonconsensual. This chapter is just an introduction, no sex, sorry! But there will be in the future, I promise :P! Please comment and let me know if I should continue. All feedback appreciated!

**************************

Breathe in, breathe out. Breathe in, breathe out. If you do it long enough it's almost like you're alive. My feet pounded the pavement with voracity. In, out. Up, down. Forward, back. Running is all about the rhythm. If you can lose yourself in it, you can block out the pain and be whatever you want. You can win out against reality. If you can't find it, if you count every step and wait for the end, you are sentenced to lose. The finish line is really your greatest enemy. Once you know where it is, your chances become slimmer and slimmer that you'll get there alive. Running is the only escape. It's the only chance you get. At least for me.

I lived in a small town, a middle-of-nowhere snow globe filled with middle class neighborhoods and pockets of poverty smattered throughout at the frequency of gnats on an air-dried bed sheet. Even the trees were of perfectly average height with perfectly average green foliage that melted away as the rest of the world froze up for winter.

But life here was sane. Everyone knew the expectations. The only murders you heard about were the ones in the larger cities miles north, west, east, and south of here. Kids grew up, went to bricked schools and then went to bricked community college. That's how it was. The buildings were brick and the sidewalks were pavement. Everything in between was nature's favorite green that screamed arguments against the so-called environmental crisis.

Of course, there were a few people who fell above or below the status-quo. Some smart, rich families went to out of state universities, never to return. Some people you knew in grade school dropped off the map and into jail or drug fueled apathy. Never to return. The peace would be disturbed with too many comings-and-goings. So you were either gone or you weren't. Either way, no one talked much.

As of this week I was officially a Senior at Gale High School. The heated, bored days of summer were newly behind this year's incoming classes, despite our reluctance to admit it. This summer had been fun. I'd spent most of it with Kat and Emilee, my two best friends. We'd hung out at the city pool, batting our eyelashes at cute guys in trunks and speculating what our schedules would be like and whether Mr. or Mrs. So-and-so would be nice or not. Sweet sun-dried sweat followed us home to countless sleepovers spent emptying the pantry and fridge. At our age, food was the friend and not the enemy. We didn't much think about getting fat, especially with cross country practice every morning.

Oh, perhaps the most important fact about me was that I was a runner. And not only did I run, I won. I was by far the best on our small team. I'd made it to state in my Freshman and Sophomore and junior years. Running was my ticket out of this small town which I despised. Every mundane detail was like a needle in the sole of my foot. Every semi-educated resident a toothpick shoved under my fingernails. After seventeen years of living here, I realized that I would die to leave. And in only one year I would.

Dreams of college swirled in my head. I was exceptionally intelligent. I scored a 34 on my ACT sophomore year. This news was like a godsend. It meant I had a chance. Running meant I had a chance. That is, until I didn't.

*********

I woke up with a gasp, looking around my bedroom frantically. The only things looking back at me were pictures of Kat, Emilee, and my dog. Still, the hair on the back of my neck stood on end. I felt eyes on me. I tried to calm my breathing while scolding myself for my ridiculous behavior. I laid back down gently, sucking in oxygen at a measured pace, my heart still pounding in my chest.

For the past few weeks I'd been getting these odd feelings. It seemed like I was being followed, watched, stalked. On my runs, cars with tinted windows struck nervousness into my being, causing me to pour even more speed into my gait than normal. Even at school I was not safe from my own irrationality.

There is no one here, Cara, you idiot! You should be asleep. You've got a history test and a race tomorrow, and here you are, three in the morning, sweating over a "feeling" you got. Shut up and go back to bed.

My inner monologue persuaded my eyes to close, albeit begrudgingly. The unfortunate thing about sleep is, the more you want it, the more awake you are. I felt like a kid on Christmas Eve trying to force herself to pass out into the oblivious world where time dissolved into the new day.

Relax...Just relax...

Yes, relax.

In the morning, sunlight filtered through my gauzy curtains like shards of transparent glass. I rolled over with a sigh, contemplating the day ahead of me. When I stepped out of bed and walked to the shower I gauged the freshness of my legs, trying to notice whether they were tired from last afternoon's cross practice. To my satisfaction, they felt lithe and springy as ever. While I waited for my shower to steam up the bathroom I looked at myself in the mirror.

Some may call me vain but I have an odd fascination with mirrors. It's not so much that I'm admiring myself as it is examining. I looked over my flat stomach and up towards my perky breasts. The path of sun-kissed skin was broken up by the tan line of my sports-bra, leaving my breasts a stark milky white in comparison to my tanned abdomen. I was about a B-cup, bordering on a C. My nipples were small and pink, and slightly pebbled due to the morning chill. My gaze slid up past my collarbone and over my long, thin neck. Its prominence was highlighted by the fact the my dark brown hair was cropped shorter than Emma Watson's pixie. I'd worn it short my whole life and favored the barely there razor-pixie look on my baby-fine strands. My face was round with petite features to match my thin frame. I stood inches above most girls around here, measuring in at about five feet ten inches. But I was model-thin, still wearing size 0 pants from freshman year. My eyes stared back at me from the mirror, forest green flecked with gold. My lips were small but plump, my nose pert. I would be lying if I said I didn't find myself beautiful, but it's not as if I reminisced on it for extended periods.

I whirled around as fast as I could. Something had been there, at the door. Looking with me. I'd heard it, or felt it, or saw it... but only an empty door frame was left to greet me. But I'd closed the door, hadn't I? Or at least half-way, right? In truth, I couldn't remember past the morning haze of my mind. Whatever the case, the door now stood widely open, gaping uncomfortably like an unclosing eye. I shivered and darted to yank it back, freeing myself from its oppressive glare.

The shower scalded my skin, but I couldn't feel it. All I could feel was quavering gasps pushing forth through my lips.

"Hi Care!" Kat greeted me with her usual sunny demeanor. In many ways she seemed much younger than either me or Emilee, carefree, optimistic, like a curious child who wasn't discouraged in the least by any of the atrocities of the world. Innocence.

"Hey Katerina," I used her full name, knowing it would make her grimace good-naturedly. "Did we have homework last night in physics?"

"Yeah, book problems."

Great, I groaned internally. I'd fallen asleep over my history notes studying for today's exam and completely ignored the physics for today. I yanked my book from my book bag and turned it to the chapter questions.

"There's no way you are going to finish that before class," Kat goaded, "it took me at least an hour, and that's not counting the three I couldn't do."

I ignored her, knowing that if I focused, I might be able to finish them in the fifteen minutes before class. I was fast. I was a winner. And I knew physics. Sure enough, the problems were for the most part simple. I wondered why everything for me always turned into a race before deciding for the thousandth time that I liked it better that way.

Emilee was my lab partner in physics. She was my twin and opposite at the same time. With long flowing hair reaching toward her waist and a curvier body than the boyish one I possessed, Emilee attracted a lot of the guys. She was socially smooth, unlike my usual aloofness. However, she did share in my logical approach to thinking and my love of running. We'd been close ever since seventh grade. And she wanted out as much as I did.

The rest of my day went as smoothly and boringly as usual. By the time the final bell rang I was on the edge of my seat with nerves for my race tonight. Even if I knew I would win, every race caused its share of turmoil and fear inside of me. When I raced, it felt like I was being chased, like I had to finish first or die. All of my opponents became my pursuers, those from whom I had to escape. This egged my strides on and carried me to great heights, despite the residual fear it left in my limbs. That's why running was always a love-hate relationship for me. It was both my talent and my curse. My prize and my punishment. My only chance to win or fail.

"Hey, Cara, you know Georgia is gonna be at the race tonight."

I nodded my head as Coach Chapton continued his pre-race pep talk, although so far it seemed more a lesson in discouragement. Georgia Jeter was my main rival in the league. It always turned into a sprint for the finish between me and her. I almost always pulled it out. But almost always was a lot different than the one-hundred percent record I wanted.

"You know you can beat her. You just have to relax and run your race. Now since this is only a dual meet and we are using it as a practice, I want you to go out really hard and try your hand at running faster at the beginning than the end, see if you can discourage her. I know you don't like to lead the whole race, but right now, our focus is not on this individual meet, but on the end goal of states."

"I'll see what I can do." I managed to gasp out. My breathing was quickening as adrenaline and pre-race nerves pushed my blood at record speed through my body.

In minutes we were lined up on the start. A gunshot sent us off. The race was on.

I sprinted out of the gate, wanting to get the lead my Coach had asked of me. I tried to slowly decelerate into my normal stride without causing my breathing too much strain. I just had to keep breathing, steady, slow, and everything would be alright. I kept my arms low on my sides, using them to push myself faster. I normally never started a race this fast. I preferred a strategy with more even mile-splits, but this would help me in the state tournament. No pain no game, I chided myself.

My feet padded across the grass. Sometimes I liked to reflect on how light and quick I could make my steps. Not today. Today, I plowed like a bull in a china shop across the fields, up and over the hills, over the ditches and holes. In what felt like an eternity in Hell, I ran across the halfway point. I didn't feel Georgia on my heels, which was a first. However, I still had no idea where she was. It was terrifying. Was I in danger of losing? Could she be right behind me, waiting to take advantage of my already-taxed legs and lungs? The surge of adrenaline pushed me forward. I had to keep going. I couldn't be caught.

Even my eyes hurt by the time I saw the finish line. My pace had significantly slowed and my breathing was labored. But the giant funnel of cones and flags seemed to call to me, and I made my final run for the end. I transformed into a sprinter. I heard yelling, cheers. All I wanted to know was whether or not Georgia was behind me, seconds away from surging past. In my fear I ran even harder. I bent over at the finish, gasping and begging oxygen to repair my aching chest. My legs were like grapevines.

My first look was behind me.

Georgia hadn't even emerged onto the homestretch yet. I sighed in relief, allowing the apprehension which had filled me for the last nineteen minutes to melt away. I grinned. Safe again. Safe on land without being chased. A winner today, so what of tomorrow? I knew the feeling of ecstasy would wear off soon, but in the moment I could finally be happy. These moments were why I had to run. For no matter how crushed you were on your lows, the joy of the highs made up for it.

That night we ate pizza. I'd run close to my personal best, despite my fast start. My coach was excited, I was relieved. By the time I was home, my runner's high had worn off and I was ready to collapse into bed and sleep. I quickly showered and ran a towel over my hair. Thank goodness my hair dries so fast, I though to myself. With that, my head was on the pillow, and I was out.

Friday. Friday was always my favorite day. I didn't hate school as much as most kids, so it seemed to be the best of both worlds, school and weekend. This Friday was especially agreeable, seeing as there was no cross country meet tomorrow and Kat, Emilee, and I were going out to a club tonight. It was an 18 and over club, so we only needed our drivers licenses, no fake IDs this time. It was the only respite from boring town life we kids could find, other than movies at the too-familiar theater, which had lost their glamour after eighth grade.

School flew by and I was packing my books up to head home when Kat and Emilee showed up at my side, chattering excitedly about the club. It was called "Midnite Blu", in the true fashion of over-stylized night clubs trying to be cool.

"Yeah, yeah, I can't wait! Wait, when are we leaving again?" I asked Kat, who was usually in charge of social details between us.

"Jeesh, someone's not listening very well today! Did physics fry your brain?" Kat was grinning as she reached over to knock on my head.

"We're leaving at five, grabbing something to eat, and then hitting the club around nine." Emilee filled me in.

"And then we are dancing the night a-way." Kat chimed in with a sing-song voice.

"Great, see you guys then?" I called out, already making my way to the car.

"Sure, Care!" Both my friends waved.

In truth, I was distracted. I was having one of my feelings again. A car had driven by right next to the sidewalk we were on and I looked inside, only to be met with the intent gaze of a man in the passengers seat. I looked away embarrassedly, but he had just kept staring. Finally, the car drove past the stop sign, but it left me uneasy.

Get a grip, Care! You are starting to act like a crazy person. That's it, no more crime-shows or horror flicks for you.

I chastised myself.

At home I prepared for our night out. I slipped into my favorite black dress, pairing it with sky-high pumps. If there was one thing I loved, it was fashion and looking good. The shoes, the makeup, all of it. My body was perfectly hugged by the tight black fabric and my red suede shoes added length to my already long legs. I looked in the mirror, smiling. I looked back from the mirror, smiling. There was something comforting about looking in the mirror and seeing myself as I was, knowing I was still solid, real. Time to go, I told myself, hustling out the door to drive to Emilee's.

When I got there, they were still getting ready. I sighed, prepared to wait at least half-an hour for them to finish up. I laughed as I reminded myself that five o'clock always meant at least five thirty.

We were driving by five forty-five. We ate dinner at a swanky but relatively cheap restaurant near the club. We wanted to be sure we had plenty of money to get in.

We entered the club while the night was young. It wasn't exactly filled to the brim yet. We snatched an available table, knowing that before long they would all be taken. We sat talking until the dance floor heated up. We used our seats as scouting posts for hot guys.

"Oooh, what about him, Em? He is soooo handsome." Kat pointed to a boyish looking man with blond hair and blue eyes. He was good looking, but definitely not my type.

"Yeah, Emily, he looks like he needs someone to dance with!" I giggled, which I rarely did sober, already giddy from one drink.

"Oh, alright," Emilee acted like she was in a huff, getting up to make here way toward the man, leaving me and Kat alone together.

Suddenly, a hand tapped my shoulder. I nearly knocked the table over when I jumped and yelped in surprise. I whirled my head around to see what had touched me. I was faced with a handsomely chiseled face with dark hair and full lips, although the deep-set eyes were wide with surprise at my outburst. I blushed furiously, mortified at my extreme reaction. I set out to cover it up by looking up at him sheepishly.

"I'm very sorry, miss, I did not mean to frighten you." His voice had a hint of an accent to it. Undeniably sexy. I looked over at Kat who seemed awe-struck by the visitor to our table. An ackward silence hung in the air. I opened my mouth to fill it.

"Oh, no, it was my fault. I've been so jumpy lately!" I blurted out. Something in his eyes seemed to register my words.

"Well, I was going to ask you if you would like to dance, Madame." He bowed ever so slightly. Oh. My. God. There was no way I was passing up this offer. He had to be German, or French, or...well something! I nodded my head vigorously. In response, he held out his hand.

He led me to dance. We ground our bodies to the music, hand in hand, hips swaying seductively together. He held me close to him, taking the lead. I didn't mind at all. I didn't consider myself a fabulous dancer anyway. Things were definitely getting steamy underneath the flashing lights. We were surrounded by other writhing bodies. The atmosphere was electric. I turned my head to look at the man behind me. We smiled at each other. He gave me a wink, then led me to the fringe of the dance floor. He waved his hand at a man who took an order for two drinks.

"What would you like?" The mystery man asked me.

I smiled flirtatiously and answered, "how about a virgin martini?."

My man laughed, letting his hand wrap around my waist.

"Make that two," he said to the waiter.

I looked around, trying to spot our old table, hoping to catch the eye of either Kat or Em. I didn't see them anywhere, it was too dark.

"Maybe they are in the restroom," The man suggested, nodding toward the woman's door.

I nodded, "Actually, the restroom sounds like a good idea right now, do you mind?"

"Not at all, I will find us a table. My name is Enrick, by the way." With that he strode away, leaving me to search the bathroom for my friends.

I opened the door, stepping inside the lavishly decorated bathroom. I looked around, seeing a few random girls, but not my friends. Oh well, they must still be outside, I thought to myself.

I walked out of the restroom and searched the tables for Enrick. I saw him waving and smiling at me not too far away. Our drinks were at the table and he was sipping his nonchalantly.

"Back so soon? Did you not see your friends?" He inquired earnestly.

"No, they must be around here in the dark somewhere." I laughed.

"Ah, well, you are very beautiful, what did you say your name was?"

"Oh, I didn't. I am Cara."

"Cara, a name to match."

He was so cute, I said internally. He was foreign and charming, but without it being cloying. I had to have his number by the end of the night. None of the boys in our town ever showed any interest in me for some reason. I knew I was pretty, so maybe I was just intimidating. I never could figure it out. Now was my chance to catch a great guy who also saw me as beautiful!

We talked for awhile, but soon my head was pounding. I felt like I'd been slammed, but I hadn't had anything to drink! Enrick managed to pull me back out to dance one more time, but I was soon barely able to stand. He supported me back to the table.

12