Last Wish

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here
slyc_willie
slyc_willie
1,349 Followers

Megan smiled down upon him, the smile fading swiftly, replaced by emotion. Eyes welling with tears and nostrils flaring, she stepped into the cabin, checking her watch. She took a few steps, watching the blinking numbers as they counted the seconds. When she finally heard the heavy sound outside, she shuddered, squeezing her eyes shut to stem the flow of tears.

Finding her purse, Megan took out some tissue and wiped her eyes and nose. She sniffled back tears, composed herself, then took up the cell phone. Walking out to the back patio of the cabin, she gazed upon James as he lay upon his side, unmoving. The bottle of beer was still clutched in his hand, turned sideways and spilling the remainder of its doctored contents onto the ground. He almost looked as if he had suddenly fallen asleep, had Megan not known better.

She retreated back inside the cabin and pressed the speed-dial function on her phone, then pressed it to her ear. She forced herself to push away emotion as she listened to the buzzing on the other end before it was finally answered.

"This is Agent Ritter," she said in a businesslike tone. "I'd like to speak with AD Kretski, please."

*****

After weeks of wearing boy shorts and tight tops, the skirt suit felt cumbersome upon her body. Megan shifted uncomfortably in the chair as she waited for the Assistant Director in his office. It had been less than a week since she left Texas, yet, strangely enough, she missed the humidity. She had gotten sued to the stickiness of the air, the way the heat had soaked in, then oozed out in an almost sexual way. Coming back to Quantico was like stepping into the sterile environment of an impersonal laboratory.

AD Kretski emerged through the wood-paneled door with the briefest of glances to her, then settled into his leather chair behind the desk. He set a file before him upon the desk, perused it for a few minutes as Megan waited. Finally, he looked up, observing her through his wire-framed glasses.

"Excellent work," he remarked. "The Behavioral Sciences division will be interested to hear your full report."

Megan dipped her eyes. "Thank you."

Kretski closed the file and laced his hands together atop it. "Considering that this was your first field assignment," he said. "I'm even more impressed. But I'm also concerned. You obviously became very close with Mr. Mailer."

Megan barked out a rude laugh before she could stop herself, then cleared her throat and quieted again. "Yes, I did. I felt it was necessary, however, to learn all I could about his life, based on public documents and court transcripts. Insinuating myself into his life was the only way to really learn why an ordinary man would do what he did. I admit that I . . . developed an attachment to him. But don't worry, sir; I have a standing appointment with a therapist for the next six weeks."

Kretski's eyes narrowed slightly. "Good. I need my agents in top mental, as well as physical, shape."

She nodded emphatically. "I'll be fine."

Kretski pursed his lips in thought. "You know, I had my reservations about the FBI overseeing the Last Wish program. One more case load we didn't need, I thought. But, given your report, the benefits to Behavioral Sciences could be tremendous."

Megan nodded. "I thought so, too, sir."

The Asisstant Director leaned back in his chair, spreading his fingers across the leather top of the desk before him. "Pending review, you should be restored to field status within a few weeks," he announced. "Anything you'd care to add?"

Megan thought a moment. "May I be candid, sir?"

He nodded. "Of course."

She straightened for a moment in her seat. "I would like to be removed from future consideration in the Last Wish program."

Kretski frowned. "Your reason?"

Megan took a breath, then let it out slowly. "To be honest, sir, I don't know how many souls I can help save before I lose my own."

-finis-

slyc_willie
slyc_willie
1,349 Followers