Laura Ch. 10

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here
shandal
shandal
291 Followers

Yes that night she had been beaten up badly by her husband, she had been knocked over and hit her head on the counter, causing her to be unconscious. She didn't remember much after that, only that she was found by Maidie sitting at the railway station unsure how she got there. Maidie would confirm that she had found the young girl sitting there, shivering, bruised and battered, crying and alone, and when she asked her if she was alright and who she was, had said Rebecca Jackson.

Taking her in she had been living at the Café in the village with her, believing herself to be Rebecca Jackson, and it wasn't until Chris came to the village last week that everything had started to come back to her. That she was really Laura Hamilton, and that the last eight months she had not realised who she really was, would be the key to the whole thing, so with enough luck they would be able to convince the Police and any Doctors that the beating and the head injury had given her a temporary amnesia of sorts.

Chris felt that he could explain to the Police that Laura had cared so much for the old lady that had been in her care, he believed she must have gone there first in her bloodstained clothes, only to throw them in the skip as she fled on the train, unaware what she was fleeing from or where to. Just running out of instinct and panic, self preservation kicking in.

They all would emphasis her fear, the pain and the terror, and all that was true as it fit in with the Police investigation, so it would be an easy step to plant the seed of belief that her mind had closed down that part of her life that was so terrifying, and coming up with the name Rebecca Jackson out of her subconscious, someone who she felt safe with.

Chris could prove that he had been travelling for the last six months around the country, with plenty of witnesses at places he had stayed and worked, and that he arrived at the village on his travels only a week ago, and had been trying to convince Laura to come forward, but until today she hadn't realised who she was, but that it had all come back to her and agreed.

There was no reason for the Police to check anything about any bank account or lottery ticket, nor was there any reason to disbelieve what they were being told as it all fit in with the facts. The only change was the loss of memory and why Maidie didn't get a doctor for the young woman, which was that she had no reason to believe that Laura wasn't Rebecca Jackson or that she was the person believed to have been murdered by her husband. As far as she was concerned the young woman she had found was just a homeless battered person who needed help and support to get back on her feet, and did not realise her real background until Chris had turned up.

*

Laura held on to Chris's back as he guided the powerful machine through the country road, at first she had felt terrified as she felt it vibrate between her legs and the noise rumbled through her body, but slowly she relaxed, her body protected by his against the wind.

Looking across to her left she could see the sea as the road swung closer to the edge of the cliff, a large sweep of dark bluey green expanse contrasting against the light blue of the sky and the bright green grass of the cliff.

Gradually the bike slowed to a stop, and leaning back she watched as he removed his helmet, and turned slightly towards her.

"You OK?"

"Yes." removing her helmet she shook out her hair, and smiled. "It's not as bad as I thought it would be."

Laughing he pulled his leg over the seat and held his hand out for her. "What do you mean not so bad? It's exhilarating, it's liberating, and it's the open road and freedom."

"No Chris, it's not so bad!"

"Heathen! Come on let's go and sit over there." Pointing to a grassy mound nearby he helped her off the bike and they walked over and sat down, staring out at the sea, watching the surf break against the rocks below, and the odd gull sweeping across the sky, on the look out for food.

"Laura did you mean it, what you said before."

"Yes Chris I meant it. I love you." she turned to him getting up on her knees and putting her arms around his neck, as he looked into her face. "I love your strength, your soppy sense of humour, the way you care about people, and the way you make me feel. I love that you aren't afraid to let me be the one to make decisions, even when you probably don't agree, but are confident enough to let me have my way. I love the feel of your body over mine, your arms around me, and your smile. I feel safe and protected, and most of all I love that you want me to be unafraid, not scared of life."

Placing both of his hands each side of her head he groaned "Oh baby I love you so much." and kissed her so sweetly it brought tears to her eyes.

Gently pulling back she looked at him, her eyes taking in his strong features that she loved so much and asked, "Will you marry me, when all this is over, will you marry me and take me wherever you want to go?"

"Oh baby yes. I'll marry you. But whatever we do and wherever we go it will always be a joint decision. From now on we're a team, you and I. A team." and kissing they sealed the promise to each other.

*

Robert sat defeated, his solicitor looking through the file in front of him.

"It's not looking good Robert. We need to give them the information they want, to be able to negotiate a deal."

"What's the point? In a couple of months they're going to fit me up with a murder I didn't do. They'll put me away and I have to live with these bastards. You have no idea what can happen to you in this place. If they find out I have grassed I'm a dead man."

"We still have a good chance at the trial, there's no body, no real witnesses to any murder, and all the evidence can be explained by your version. Except of course the bloodstained clothes. All we need to do is ensure a reasonable doubt." Flipping the file closed and leaning forward he explained "Robert you have to be positive and think carefully. If you are found innocent of the murder charge they will hit you with possession with intent to supply, if you name the supplier and do a deal we can get the charge reduced and with time served on remand there is a possibility you could be out within a year or so."

"Not much of choice is it. I'm damned if I do, and damned if I don't!"

"But the difference is a year or life; it's really a no brainer."

Rubbing his temple with his fingers he looked down at the grey Formica table and after a short pause resignedly said "See if you can negotiate segregation as part of the deal and I'll give them the whole chain."

*

Maidie stood on the quay, her arms around Laura giving her a big hug. "I expect to hear from you as soon as you can and let me know how you are, do you hear me."

"Yes I promise."

"Your not to worry understand," leaning back she smiled a reassuring smile.

"Yes Maidie."

"I'm going to miss you so much." and she pulled the slim woman into her ample breast for another hug.

"We'll be back; I want you to be there to give me away."

Laughing Maidie looked at the young woman, whose hair was now dyed back to its original light brown, "Look after him, you've found yourself a good man."

"I know."

Climbing on behind Chris she slid on the shiny new helmet and slipping her arms round his waist, he kicked the bike into life and with a wave towards Maidie steered the bike up the hill, out of the village, and the journey home.

*

It was the end of a long and difficult day at work, and Martin Dowler was walking down the steps of the Police Station as he chatted with Mick, when suddenly the officer next to him exclaimed "My God I don't believe it." and stopped in his tracks.

Looking across from Mick's frozen expression of astonishment to where his shocked eyes were staring, Martin felt the blood drain from his face as the two people walked up the steps towards them, the man's arm around the woman at his side, and heard him say the words he never thought he would hear.

"Detective Dowler, let me introduce you to Laura Hamilton, the woman you've been searching for these past nine months."

Clearing his throat, the Detective held out his hand and solemnly quipped, "Mrs Hamilton, for someone who has been dead for so long you're looking very well, you had better follow me and tell me all about how you discovered the magic of resurrection."

And as the station door closed behind the three people, Mick stood on the stairs shaking his head, wondering how they could have got it all so wrong.

shandal
shandal
291 Followers
12