Leaders of the Pack Ch. 07

Story Info
Druids plan, Tor's little secret.
6.6k words
4.78
33.8k
67

Part 7 of the 7 part series

Updated 09/22/2022
Created 11/12/2008
Share this Story

Font Size

Default Font Size

Font Spacing

Default Font Spacing

Font Face

Default Font Face

Reading Theme

Default Theme (White)
You need to Log In or Sign Up to have your customization saved in your Literotica profile.
PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here
secretme
secretme
3,475 Followers

Just a couple notes:

I've noticed that the submission format for Lit does delete my italics and page breaks. This is why some scene changes seem choppy. Sorry guys but I can't fix that.

Chapter 7

Malik waited at the entrance to a large library. One by one each of the others arrived. He looked at the small group of men and women who had chosen to separate from the Circle at this time and he wondered if he was leading them all in the wrong direction.

Silently they walked into the large library and toward the back to a small study room that was set aside from the main floor. The smell of old papers permeated the building and comforted the group.

Cerdwyn was the first to speak. "I guess I'm not entirely sure what we're doing Malik. Have you called the lycans yet? Do you know where we are going?"

"Well," Malik shook his head. His striking blue eyes seemed dull and clouded with uncertainty. "Honestly I was hoping we could all discuss the plan before I did anything. I have several numbers I could call. Nora trusted the Arnauk most. But with the current situation I don't know how we will be received."

"True," Cerdwyn responded, trembling. She had been with the group of druids Jenna had held captive. "The lycans will want to question us all. I don't want to go through that." Nodded consent went around the room.

"I don't think, I mean none of us think, the Arnauk are like that. After all, none of us would be willing to help them if we really thought we could be in danger by doing it right?"

"We can't question ourselves now. It's too late," a rather pudgy man added. Nervous looks were exchanged.

Malik cleared his throat. "We know we are doing the right thing. Without our help those deformed men and women will never be able to return to themselves. If that is all they want then we truly should help. I know that the Circle believes it can't be remedied. But they also believed that Rafe couldn't create them from the old books to begin with. We could at least explore the possibility. And the lycans deserve to know they aren't the reason the others have cut off correspondence. And more than that, Nora said there is still something we need to finish with them. I can't ignore her last request." Tears formed in the man's eyes and a new confidence spread amongst them.

"Then I have a suggestion," Cerdwyn squeezed Malik's hand. "I say we go to Aislinn. I trust her. I believe she would be a good buffer between us and the lycans. And she has access to the stones. Perhaps she can reach Nora and discover what she felt we needed to finish."

"Telephones are too dangerous at the moment. The lycan Council is monitoring everything. It's difficult to say whether they would find out we were coming if we called her."

"Then we just go," Cerdwyn responded.

Seeing Natalie asleep and knowing the long tiring drive ahead Tor decided to keep his mind active by making a couple phone calls. First was Mira to let her know that he had secured the tapes.

The phone rang a couple times and Tor knew was waking her up. "Yes?" came a sleepy voice.

"It's Tor. I got the tapes. I haven't looked at them yet, so I don't know what's there. I'm on my way back right now. A few hours."

"Good. I'll sleep much better. Between that and Luther's news, it sounds like we are finally getting back on track."

"What has Luther found out?"

"It seems that Jenna and our rogue weres are working with the NSA. Puts all our eggs in one basket. It may be relatively easy to deal with that situation if you hand the information over to the Council. They are very likely capable of handling that mess, leaving us able to go after Jenna's notes and find Rillan."

"Sounds good. I should be back in short order. I'll make a few phone calls and maybe I'll arrive with more good news."

"Good work Tor. I knew I could count on you."

Smiling Tor hung up the phone.

Next came the difficult phone call. Tor glanced over at Natalie. He could hear her slow breathing. He took a deep breath and his eyes turned. He growled, reminding himself yet again that she was a human and put his thoughts back on track. Confident that she was still asleep and figuring that there wouldn't be much said that would be a problem if she overheard it, he searched his contact list and chose an old number, hoping it was still correct.

The Council meeting had taken all day. It was well after dark by the time it adjourned. As far as Cullen was concerned they had gotten no where. They didn't see how locating an unknown woman from a random vision could be helpful at this juncture. Several of the elders were leaving at this point to pursue some leads on the missing weres. Cadifor still wanted to speak with a few more of the elders. His current area of concern was figuring out if one of their own killed Nora or if Aislinn's vision was correct and "it wasn't a lycan" and stopping the Circle from going underground again. Then there was also the group of elders who believed the top priority should be figuring out why the human contacts were suddenly so uncooperative. Last but not least everyone was concerned about locating the supposedly lost notes that were causing so much concern on all fronts. Whatever was in those notes, if the feds wanted them then they were worth looking for.

Upon leaving the meeting, Cullen immediately grabbed Keith and ushered him back to his room. "I apologize for insisting on sending you back right now."

Keith shook his head. "I understand. In your position, I'd do the same. Besides as much as I appreciate being included in on higher functions of pack dynamic, I'm looking forward to getting outta here."

Cullen leaned against the wall with his arms crossed. He watched Keith packing his small bag. "When you get back I want you to talk to Aislinn and get all the information you possibly can from her muin visions. Who knows what detail might tell you where to locate Jenna or this Mira. The Council doesn't want to listen to the theories about a hidden faction or Mira. So that leaves us looking into those issues on our own."

Keith nodded. Hearing the rare upset in his friend's voice that seemed to be a constant of late Keith stopped his packing. "I'm saying this as a friend. You've never been so uncertain and let it show. You're making people nervous. Both the pack and the Council. You need to stop this. Too many people count on you to be strong and decisive in realistic ways. As much as I believe Aislinn has been good for you, she hasn't been so good for your confidence or leadership." Keith sighed. "Pull yourself together. You'll do her and yourself more good if you can at least look like your old self when people are paying attention."

"If you weren't my friend and I didn't know you mean well, I'd probably body slam you for that lecture," Cullen growled. "Still that's basically the same advice Cadifor gave me. I'll be better if you go home and then call me with some decent information."

Keith went back to packing as Cullen's phone rang. He grabbed it out of his pocket, hating the sound of that ring lately. It was never good news. His biggest fear being that the next call would be Aislinn giving birth. His heart sank as he realized that should be the greatest news he could get. When I lay my hands on Jenna no one will be capable of identifying her muin corpse.

The number on the caller ID was not one he recognized. Cullen briefly debated letting the voice mail pick up the call, but then thought again and hit the answer button on his cell. Recently mysterious numbers had related important information. He didn't want to take the chance that this was one of those calls.

"Arnauk," he said into the phone. His automatic answer programed in for years.

Tor couldn't help smiling at his brother's voice. "Been a long time, but I still know that ridiculous in-charge attitude of yours. It comes through even when you answer the phone."

Cullen felt better for the first time in days. It was the last call he would have expected. Not that Tormaid's phone calls were ever expected. He tended to get in touch randomly ever 5-10 years or so. "It's good to hear your voice. Where have you been hiding this time?"

"Same place I've been for a few decades now," Tor vaguely responded.

Cullen didn't press the matter. He figured Tormaid would get around to letting him know what was going on his life when it suited him. His older brother had always been that way. Similar to his father, he only gave out information on a need to know basis. The less you say the smaller the chance that something can come back on you. Last Cullen knew Tor had taken up some mercenary work.

"Is there a purpose for the call or are we just catching up?" Cullen asked.

"Straight to the point? Wouldn't you rather have friendly banter first?"

Cullen chuckled and Keith looked up at him curiously. It was an odd sound from his friend lately. "'Banter first' implies that there is a purpose."

"Being Alpha has made you far to serious," Tor responded. "I hear you've mated. Somehow I knew you would before me."

The smile dropped from Cullen's lips. Of course this would end up being about Aislinn. "Yes. I wish you had been there."

"I would have. But I only heard about it after the fact. Sometimes I regret not keeping in better contact. You could have called me. Was Wenda there?"

"I tried to call both of you. Neither of the numbers I have for you are currently working. Maybe send me a note the next time you change it?"

"Sorry. I have been tied up for a while now. May not have made it anyway."

Cullen growled at his brother. "You know I always wonder if the two of you have ended up dead when I can't get a hold of you. I should really try finding Wenda again."

"True. Sorry."

"So considering the trouble of late," Cullen began wanting to get to the point, "You want to tell me what's going on? I assume this isn't about you coming to visit and meet Aislinn."

"Well honestly I would like to do that too. But no, it's not about a family visit. It's about the mess you're currently in."

Cullen's brow furrowed. "What do you know and how do you know it?"

"I know that you mated to a would be druid slash were cat, that some mixed up weres are on the loose, and that Jenna Tairneach has some paperwork that needs to be retrieved. Does that about sum it up?"

There was a long pause before Cullen responded. "Most of it. Again I have to ask how you know all this."

"I work for an organization that has spent the last eon cleaning up collateral damage to keep the human populous unaware of our existence. Unfortunately this mess is too big for us to deal with. We need more man power."

"How much man power are we talking and to what end?"

Tor considered his words carefully. He knew that Mira wanted as little involvement as possible at the same time he knew that the pack Council would want as much information as possible if he was going to glean their cooperation. "We have information that could help the Council accomplish what they want and clear up a few matters. I assume that once they have the information they will act on it. Essentially that's what we are after. Since our organization would prefer to remain anonymous, I was hoping that I could give you the details and you could take credit for it."

Keith watched Cullen with interest. The little bit of the conversation he was getting did not sound good.

"How exactly," Cullen responded, "am I supposed to explain to the Council where I came up with a bunch of new information suddenly? I'm having a hard enough time convincing them of the information I already have."

"I'm sure you could think of something. Maybe Aislinn could have another vision."

Cullen growled loudly. "You know an awful lot for not having been around all this time. Who exactly do you work for?"

"Cul the information about your mate is pretty much public knowledge. Don't go sounding like that." Tor sighed. "But I suppose I may owe you a bit more detailed explanation considering I'm asking you to take so much heat."

"I'd say so."

"I ended up taking a job some time ago and then stayed working there. They have contacts everywhere. Though most of the contacts don't realize who they report to. The organization is kept small. Easier to keep secrets when there aren't many people who know what's up. They keep an eye on things and when one of the major powers screws up, fix it quietly."

Cullen considered the vague references to "they" and the fact that the Council would not be happy with the anonymity. "You know that won't work for the Council."

"Well they'll need to decide what's more important. Names or information. If they can't accept it on our terms then-"

"Hey," Cullen interrupted. "You called me for help, not the other way around."

"Can't you at least try and work with me on this? Considering all I've done for you in the past I'd think you'd give me some slack here."

"You can't possibly be calling in favors right now. I've got too much at stake to play games with the situation," Cullen responded with annoyance.

"I'm not sure I know exactly what you're getting at there. I know you work pretty closely with Cadifor and that your pack was rather intimately involved in the recent trouble, but you make it sound like you have a personal stake in this."

"I do. Why don't you tell me whatever information it is you have and I'll tell you how much I'm willing to risk on your behalf."

Tor considered how upset Cullen sounded and wondered what exactly he was missing here. "We know where the NSA is hiding the missing weres and Jenna."

Cullen didn't know how to respond at first. He knew that the Council would want the information, but he would have a lot of questions to answer when he handed it over. "Look Tor. We already figured out that there is another faction involved in this and we weren't sure who they are. I'm guessing your group must be the ones responsible for the break in at the asylum that set the mixed weres loose?"

"Yeah, you got us there," Tor admitted reluctantly and glanced over at Natalie suddenly feeling a bit protective.

"Any chance you'll share what that was about? Do you have those weres in custody?"

"No. They escaped," Tor said with annoyance. "Partially because we don't have enough men or the facilities to keep them. That's why we need the Council to go get them. Primarily we were looking to get them out of the hands of the humans. Honestly we didn't count on them running back to them in the end."

Cullen considered what Tor said and what he wasn't saying. "Aislinn saw a girl. We were thinking that the weres weren't your main objective."

There was another long pause. "I guess I'm not the only one with inside intel. I had heard that Aislinn was pretty good at that kind of stuff. Look Cul. I admit I'm not telling you everything. I'm telling you what we need you to know. Can't you be satisfied with the fact that it's what you were trying to find out anyway?"

Angry and relieved at the same time Cullen didn't know whether to argue or thank his brother. "I personally don't care about the Council objectives right now. If you can tell me where Jenna is then I am more grateful than you can possibly imagine. However I also know that the Arnauk are already under scrutiny for all the trouble that has cropped up lately. Just when we start to get things under control more trouble appears out of nowhere. I know that if I walk into the Council chamber now and announce what you've told me then they will want to know where I got it and they won't settle for a mysterious phone call. If I tell them Aislinn had a vision then they'll want her to have more. They don't understand or trust the information she gives. I guarantee there will be an investigation into me and the pack. Especially considering the evidence at the moment is pointing toward one of our own having killed Nora."

"It was the mixed weres who killed Nora. That I can share. You'll probably find out if you take them into custody anyway. They are looking for a cure for their condition. When the druids couldn't help Nora died. I wish I could tell you everything you want to know. Just like you, I have my own to protect as well."

Cullen growled in frustration. "Don't think I'll let this go."

"You're going to have to. I need to get off the phone now. I'll send you a text with an address as soon as I get it."

"I thought you said you know where they are."

"I said 'we' know where they are. I haven't been given the exact address yet. I should have it in a couple hours. I'm on my way back to the base now. When I get there I can talk with our man who has the rest of the details."

"Great. That should give me time to find Cadifor and prepare him to be angry with me."

"I'm sure you can handle it."

"Yeah?" Cullen asked sarcastically. "I appreciate your confidence in me."

"It was good to talk to you Cul. I promise I won't leave it so long next time."

"As frustrating as you are... It was good to hear from you. Nice to know you're still alive."

Cullen let the phone drop from his ear as he hung up. He stared at the number on the caller ID. "Change of plans Keith."

Keith smiled at the strength in Cullen's tone. "Alright. What are my orders?"

"Take this number and find my brother. Quietly. He's sending me the information we need to find Jenna. So that's taken care of. I still want you to talk with Aislinn about her visions and see if you can get anything else important out of it. I think the vision may pertain to whoever Tormaid is working with. He wouldn't tell me who his boss is. I want to know. They are the hidden group we are looking for."

"Okay. Hopefully the number won't be too bad to track."

"If anyone can find him..." Cullen said as he wrote down his brother's name, last known location, previous phone number, and the one he got from the caller ID.

"So what are you going to tell the Council?" Keith asked as he picked up his bag and walked to his door.

"Not sure yet. I think I'll start with Cadifor."

Jenna alternated glaring out the window at the passing scenery and glaring at the back of Devon's head. She was starting to hate cars. Ever since she met Rafe it seemed like each time she got into one she was being forcibly escorted somewhere she didn't want to go. She was sitting in the backseat next to a woman who appeared to be a botched rhinoceros cat hybrid. She was starting to really wonder how many men and women Rafe had messed with in his God quest.

She felt Brennus' disapproval in the back of her mind. At least all of the men I changed were volunteers, she thought back at him.

Who's to say that the poor creature sitting beside you didn't volunteer? Who knows what Rafe promised. You changed men knowing that you had a better option with the intent of making sure you would be stronger. Brennus' words cut through Jenna.

I can't decide if you love me or hate me. If you want to help me or turn me in. Jenna was near tears.

At times I'm not sure what I want either. You know I love you. I would do anything for you. I despise what you have done and what I have done in an attempt to help you. I remind myself of the things I did to become Alpha and sometimes I understand and sympathize with what you have done. And I remember the things that changed me and tell myself that you have not lived long enough to come to regret your decisions. I was hoping to help you avoid the worst. I wonder if I should have left it so that you might learn. I am torn.

Devon stared at the intense look on Jenna's face. She appeared far away and he wondered what was going on in her head. "We're here," he said.

Jenna snapped into the moment and realized that they were in front of Tairneach manor. Now the tears started. Between her father's thoughts and seeing her home that she couldn't go back to, she was feeling more lost than ever. I'm not sure when it all went so wrong.

secretme
secretme
3,475 Followers
12