Leanna Ch. 02

Story Info
The wife who left.
3.3k words
3.33
80.4k
16
0

Part 2 of the 2 part series

Updated 11/02/2022
Created 06/01/2012
Share this Story

Font Size

Default Font Size

Font Spacing

Default Font Spacing

Font Face

Default Font Face

Reading Theme

Default Theme (White)
You need to Log In or Sign Up to have your customization saved in your Literotica profile.
PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here
mony50us
mony50us
84 Followers

With the words that you have just read, you have seen the end of my life as I had known it. I had nothing left but my job. The only way I was able to retain any sanity in my life was to devote myself to my work. That is just what I did. I went to work early and left late to make up for it. I worked six and seven days a week. I became the best in marketing and sales in my company. Face it, I could sell snow to an Eskimo or snow gear in hell.

That went on for about two months. Then my boss, who was much smarter than I ever gave him credit for pulled me into his office.

"Monte, you need to lighten up. You are a wreck just looking for a place to happen. How long do you think that you can keep up the pace you have been working?"

I looked at him puzzled and gave him my best answer. "Huh?"

"Look", he smiled, "you are my best salesman. Since your wife left you, your sales have gone up over 25%, but you are really starting to look like total dog shit. You are getting to the point where you have no best foot to put forward and in sales that is a death knell. You can't sell if your appearance is starting to scare your customers."

He went on to say some other things but I wasn't really paying attention. I realized that I was the most important thing in my life and I needed to start taking care of myself. Obviously, the people whom I had assumed cared for me really did not. It took a few days but suddenly I was eating better, joined a gym and was paying more attention to my personal hygiene.

Early on during the "Crap" period of my life, in a fit of anger, I had destroyed my cell phone. I just stomped on it until there was just a jumble of pieces that made it impossible to make or receive phone calls. When I went to my carrier for a new phone, they must been having a bad day also since they completely pissed me off.

The result of that was a new carrier, a new cell phone and a new phone number. I had cancelled my home phone service a few years ago since Leanne and I both had cell phones, so there was need for anything else. Now if anyone did not call me at work then they did not call me at all. I guarded my new number like a pit bull and was very, very selective in giving it out.

Sometime near the end of month four of my "Crap" period, the office receptionist, Paula, called me on my office intercom. "Monte, you have a call on line three; it's your daughter." She had no idea about my personal life. My boss and I had kept most of it just between the two of us.

I stared at the blinking light like it was the trigger to a bomb. The light just kept on blinking and I had no idea what to do. Paula's voice through the intercom startled me when she asked if I was going to pick up the line or not? I thought for a moment and then "Okay, thanks Paula, I'll pick it up."

I really didn't care about proper etiquette for answering this call. I simple picked up the receiver and said "What?" With a tremulous voice I heard Sam say "Dad, is that you?" "Yes, it's me." I was at loss about what to say so I kept my answers very short. I guess this was a day for surprises because I heard her say, "Can I see you? I need to see you, please!"

"Dad, I have been trying to work up the nerve to talk to you for over a month and I can't do this over the phone. I need to see you. I'm downstairs in the lobby and I'm not leaving until you agree to meet with me so I can talk to you and try to explain."

"I'm not sure we have anything to say to each other, Sam." "Please Dad, I'm begging!" I was pretty sure that I didn't want to do this, but if I had to then it would have to be someplace in public. From the tone of her voice I knew I had to do this. "Ok, My Place at 7:00 P.M." and I hung up.

For those that don't know, My Place is a small neighborhood bar near my house. I've been known to stop there now and then for a drink and while their menu is small, their food is the best. My daughter knew that I liked to stop there so I was certain she would find it with ease.

Sam was there when I walked through the door. She was sitting in one of the booths toward the rear of the bar. I couldn't help but notice that she looked like a little girl waiting for her punishment for something that she had done wrong. She was sitting hunched forward with her head hanging down and her hands clasped in her lap.

Sam didn't look up as I slid quietly into the booth opposite her. She knew I was there but made no acknowledgement of my presence. We sat there silently for several minutes. She had asked me to come. The pain of our last conversation was still a large lump in my heart. I said nothing simply because I didn't know what I could say.

Eventually Sam raised her head and looked me in the eyes. She had a very serious, no nonsense expression. "I don't know what is going on between you and Mom. I've been talking with her now for the last two months. I don't understand why she left. I know that she says that she still loves you but that she can't live with you anymore."

Then her voice became stronger as she said, "She won't tell me shit about what the hell happened between you and her. She says that it is none of my business and just to stay out of it. Well I want you to know that is total bullshit! You are both my parents and it is my business."

It was obvious that she was really stressed out but I could see her making a strong effort to control her emotions. I determined that the whole reason for the meeting between us was for me to tell my side of the story. She must have figured that half of the story was better than none.

We spent the next hour sitting there while I told her my story from the beginning til now. She was stunned when I told her how her mother had screamed at me and then she cried when I told her how Leanne left. "I can't believe that she would do that!" Sam kept softly repeating that phrase over and over throughout my narrative.

When I finished my story, I just sat there sipping my drink. Sam starting pulling herself together and after a few minutes, she made an excuse to go to the ladies room. She was gone for about fifteen minutes. She returned and took a seat again across from me.

Taking a long look at my face, she calmly told me, "I find some of the things that you told me so hard to believe and yet, I can hear in your voice that you believe what you say. I'm going to have to spend some time thinking about all this. I'm also going to make another attempt at a heart-to-heart with Mom.

With those words, she bid me a quiet "Good night Dad." Rising, she quickly left the bar. I didn't hear from or see my daughter for another month. I never expected to hear from her mother at all. So this is where I found myself at the very beginning of my story.

I was sitting in my new office when I saw her standing in my doorway. I had recently been promoted because I had done such a good job in the last six months that I got my boss promoted and I was rewarded with his job. Good things do happen to people who work hard.

Why was my wife standing in my doorway?

The memory of the last evening we spent together flashed through my mind. I easily remembered the bewilderment and the pain of that evening and the many evenings that followed. Sitting there, I realized that the pain was still very real and very strong. However, the confusion was gone. In that flash of the moment, her ability to control and manipulate me was clearly in the past.

Slowly I looked her up and down. I could see changes since I had last laid eyes on her. She had cut her hair, her skirt was an inch or so shorter and her cleavage was definitely deeper. The four inch heels also were a change and it was a good overall picture that showcased the new woman she was trying to show me that she had become.

Since I was sitting, she probably couldn't see any changes in me. I probably was dressed a little better as I now wore a suit and tie, instead of just a tie. As I finally finished my inspection and my eyes rose to meet hers, I could see that she had been giving me her own inspection.

I could not read her expression. Her face was closed and tight. Her lips parted and she hissed, "You fucking bastard!" She waited a moment but before she could continue, I spoke first. "Leanne, I'm very busy and this is an office. I don't have time to play games with you. If you want to speak with me then I'll meet you at My Place at 8:00 P.M. Please leave now!"

I spoke very firmly and with authority. Leanne was visibly taken aback but still remained standing in my doorway. I picked up my phone and rang my new secretary. "Paula, please call for security as I have an intruder in my office and I want her removed immediately. If she refuses to leave then the police are to be called."

Leanne looked at me closely and then turned on her heels and left. She muttered over her shoulder, "I'll see you at eight." I could hear the clacking of her high heels as she walked rapidly down the hall and out of the building.

Paula sauntered into my office and grinned widely. "Security will be here any minute sir. I'm sure that HR is trying to hire them as we speak." I grinned back at her and thanked her for her promptness.

Paula and I had only been working together for about two full weeks. She was just what I needed and I was already appreciating her many professional talents as well as her very quick wit. She was very quickly becoming indispensable

I put my meeting with Leanne out of my mind and with Paula's able assistance; I put in a very productive day. After work I stopped by the gym for a quick workout. Then I went home, where I showered and changed clothes. I was sure that I was not going to enjoy spending time with Leanne. Her attitude at my office gave me a good idea of her feelings towards me.

I walked into the bar at 8:05 P.M. and after a quick look around, I could see that she had not yet arrived. I knew that drinking anything with alcohol in it was a mistake. So I decided on a Seven-Up with a lime for me. At 8:30 she still had not come. By that time I was really getting a slow burn on. This woman has been treating me like dog shit for almost a year. I had had it and stood to leave.

Talk about bad timing for me. If I had left five minutes earlier I would have missed her. As I turned to leave, she walked through the door. She stopped just inside and when she spied me, she motioned with her head towards one of the empty booths. With a shrug, I followed her and she took a seat. I took the one opposite her.

She had changed clothes into something more casual, but still looked very attractive. In all the years I had known her, she took good care of her looks and her figure. I tried to keep my poker face on as I looked at the angry frown on hers. We both sat there silently after ordering drinks. I guess we were making it a contest. You know, the first to talk loses.

Not saying anything was easy for me. I mean, the way that she treated me before she bailed on me was so beyond the woman I had thought I was married to. A lot of the pain was gone but in its place was anger. It would have been different if I had done something to deserve her shabby treatment. No matter how I looked at the demolition of our marriage, I could not identify much if anything that I had done wrong.

Finally with a deep sigh, Leanne grated through her teeth, "I cannot believe that you told all that awful lying crap to our daughter." I leaned back in surprise but still said nothing. "You know god-damned well why I left you. I just couldn't stand another minute in your company. All those years together and you treated me like a piece of furniture. You wanted to own me and I could not live like that."

She paused momentarily, panting heavily as though she had just run a foot race. Taking that as my cue, I rose from my seat, "I've spent the last six months trying to figure out just what I did to you to cause your actions. You sure as fuck didn't give me the courtesy of talking to me. Now that we are no longer a couple, I don't have to listen to your rabid bitch-dog bullshit."

It didn't take more than a minute for me to stride quickly out of the bar. Getting into my car, I drove out of the parking lot towards my home. I did get a glimpse her at the door to the bar, but couldn't tell what she might have been thinking about my escape.

It was a couple of days after that that I finally heard from Sam again. "Hi Dad, what say we do lunch today if you have time?" She sounded different than the last time we spoke. Her voice was calmer and maybe just a little friendlier.

So we sat together at TGIF's having lunch and really talking. It seemed a bit strange because for the last several months, we had been very much at odds. "I've tried talking with Mom until I'm blue in the face. She still insists that all this is none of my business and refuses to discuss it with me at all."

With a sarcastic twist to my lips, "Don't feel like she is treating me any different. I believe I'll go to my grave never knowing just what happened to us and why. I guess it is going to be just one of those mysteries of life."

"When I started challenging her about those things that you have shared with me, I kept a close look on her face and into her eyes. I could tell that there was more than once that I struck a nerve. However, every time I started to get close to the truth she would quickly say that she had to go because she was late for something or other."

Sam sighed and then continued. "There is one thing that really bothered me about this situation with you and Mom. There were these two ladies that would usually come with mom when I met her. They never sat with us but rather off to the side. Mom did introduce me to them and as I remember, their names were Carol and June."

An alarm went off in my head I immediately sat straight up in my seat. It had never dawned on me that Leanne was still with the "two bitches from hell". I know it was cliché but that is how I had thought of Carol and June. I knew that they were a major part of what had caused my marriage to implode but I had just assumed, wrongly, that they had moved on to other pastures.

Sam must have keyed in on my expression immediately. Putting her hand to her face, I could see that she had just made the same connection. "Oh my god, those are the same two bitches that turned Mom into someone that I don't know anymore." Sam's face was turning red and I could see her temper rising rapidly.

"Calm down honey. I don't want you to bust a gasket. I know that these two women were major players in changing your mother. Just keep in mind that even after all the years we were married, they didn't have any problem convincing her that I was a terrible man and husband."

Sam looked at me with tears in her eyes. "I just cannot understand why my mother has done this to us. She used to love us, but not anymore. This is not how someone treats the ones that they love. This is a horror story and I want out."

"Sam, you are feeling some of my pain now. I thought that Leanne loved me like I loved her. We were to grow old together and I never saw it happening any other way. The only thing I've been able to do is just go on with my life. It's hard because there is such a huge hole in my heart. I won't ever get over this, but I can't see me taking her back if she ever changed her mind."

I paused to gauge Sam's mood and then carried on.

"I've never been one to share my feelings with others. Your mother was my best friend. I've been lost since she left. I have finally reached a tipping point. These last two times I saw her has let me see that she no longer feels any real love for me. From this point on, I'm moving on with my life."

"I've held off for as long as I can now. This afternoon, I'll be contacting an attorney and filing for a divorce. I can't go on letting her control and manipulate my life. I love you and you will always have a place in my heart and in my life. I no longer see any need or reason to have anything further to do with my soon to be ex-wife."

"She is still my mother and I can't forget that. Seeing how she has treated you these last several months will have an adverse effect on how I feel about her and how I treat her. I hope that we will still be able to have a fairly reasonable relationship after this, Dad. It will be very, very hard."

We visited for just a few more moments and then after saying goodbye and promising to stay in close touch, I returned to work. I contacted a law office and before the end of the day, I had an appointment to see an attorney. This was probably one of the hardest things I had ever done. I just knew I had no choice.

mony50us
mony50us
84 Followers