Lefone's Quest Ch. 01-03

Story Info
18th century quest for love in Britain's high society.
2.2k words
4.26
16.8k
3
Share this Story

Font Size

Default Font Size

Font Spacing

Default Font Spacing

Font Face

Default Font Face

Reading Theme

Default Theme (White)
You need to Log In or Sign Up to have your customization saved in your Literotica profile.
PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

Here are the first three chapters of the story, please note there isn't much sexual shenanigans going on yet -- this is more setting the background and the character. Please leave any (constructive!) criticism!

---

Chapter 1

Mr Thomas Lefone surveyed the assembly room with a familiar disappointment curling in the pit of his stomach. The same preened gentlemen, powdered ladies and flirtatious girls spread before him throughout the great hall, the same as he had seen at every ball this season, and every season before. The same, he though with a resigned sigh, that he would see in every season to come. Luckily, this was the last ball of the London season. Unluckily, every member of society had joined together in this one place for the final celebration. The heat was suffocating. The smell of mingled perfumes insufferable.

At one and thirty years old, and heir to a modest fortune that left him with highly enviable ability to choose his own occupation, Lefone was a catch that left many mothers nagging their husbands to make his acquaintance. His ability to keep much of his less desirable experiences between himself and his encounters left his reputation untarnished. Held in such high esteem, he could scarcely make a day through to sundown without some un-married spinster daughter being introduced to him. His dry wit, serious character and devilishly good looks broke the hearts of young girls vying for his attentions, and left wives questioning the sanctity of their wedding vows from one glance of his deep brown eyes framed by dark eyelases. His black hair had a slight curl, cut to the fashionable length just above his collar, looked deshevelled in the best possible way. His lips, although not thick, had the pleasing plumpness that begged all to test their kissability. His lean, toned body, fit from sports and riding, stood at a little over 6 foot, which whilst not imposing, left him shoulders above many of his peers.

"What say you, Lefone? Why, you've scarcely said a word since we entered!" Lefones thoughts were interrupted by his closest friend George Tilney. Snapping his attention to the grinning face framed by a shock of golden waved hair, he took a large swig from his silver goblet.

"I say this is getting tedious" Lefone answered simply. "Why must you insist on dragging me to these insipid gatherings?"

"Because, dear sir, it's the only way I can be sure to save your purse from the gambling table" Tilney chuckled, placing a hand on his back and gently guiding his friend deeper into the throng. "Come! I insist you have a dance. Take more drink, it'll ease your skepticism somewhat...if such a thing be possible!"

"Damn you Tilney, you try my patience" Lefone chuckled, a few ladies nearby swooning at the rare sight of his drawing smile and white, strong teeth. Finishing his wine, he set the empty goblet at a nearby table, nodding his head politely at the ladies seated there. Turning away, he had time to hear their giggles before moving to the side of the hall in sight of the dance already underway.

"Take a look around you, Lefone. So many enchanting ladies, so little dances!" Tilney smiled as he rubbed his hands together. "I've already decided on my prey, and I insist you find yours!" Bowing his leave, Tilney disappeared into the crowd. Lefone watched as he approached a girl who couldn't have yet reached her 17th year. "Oh Tilney, when will you learn." He signed inwardly. "She will have decided you are going to propose before the evening is out".

Having seen his share of assemblies, Lefone had already learned each character and how to spot them. The debutantes freshly out in the season, desperate to fall in love with the first person to show them attention. The spinsters, already being nagged by worried relatives that they will be a burden on their finances, desperate to find a husband to ease them of guilt. Those that he called 'un-marriable' -- the unskilled, uneducated and highly stupid. Lefone was a man who did not tolerate fools gladly, and these included silly girls with nowt in their heads but dresses and feathers.

Lefone folded his arms and leaned his back against the coolness of the window. He scanned the room half-heartedly, already knowing a great many of the faces that would be looking back at him. Sure, there were pretty girls, but inside he already felt too tired to speak to them. He knew their conversations, their pre-prepared answers to the normal questions asked in polite society. He knew their flirtations, and he was bored.

He thought back to the morning, of a letter he had received from his great-uncle inviting him to stay at their Surrey home once the Season had finished. Lefone smiled, he cared a great deal for his uncle, and the break from city life to the quiet country would be pleasing. He had already sent his reply in the affirmative and to expect him forthwith, and had left his valet instructions to have everything packed and prepared ready to leave the very next morning. Tilney had been quite aghast at the idea, "Leave London? Good heavens man have you taken leave of your senses? And to the country of all places?". Good old Tilney, Lefone smiled. He really was a city-boy at heart.

Out of the corner of his eye he caught sight of a whispering lady dragging what seemed to be a highly timid and bespectacled daughter towards him. This was one too many. Lefone immediately moved and with surprising agility escaped out of the assembly room and out into the street. Calling for his carriage, he left a brief note for Tilney,

"Cannot stand anymore. See you in the Spring. L."

Chapter 2

The ride from London to Surrey was not long, and was easily passed in a day. Lefone rode ahead of his carriage on horseback, cantering the many miles until the choking dirt of London slowly turned into the deep green of the countryside. He passed through many villages on his way, but stopped only for luncheon and to water his horse. He made good time, and soon entered the land that belong to the Wright estate -- that of his Uncle. So vast was his land, that was another hour at least before Lefone had stabled his horse and bounded up the welcoming stairs to the large oaken front door, already open with a beaming Mr Wright stood within.

"Thomas, my lad! So good of you to come so soon!" Wright took his hand and enthusiastically shook it. Lefone smiled back and removed his hat, "It was very kind of you to invite me Uncle. I couldn't pass up such an offer."

"Well come ye in lad, you've time to get yourself prepared for dinner. Your aunt is here but your cousins are away at relatives over the summer, but I'm sure you won't mind. A young man can do without children pestering him daily."

Lefone chuckled and shook his head, "They do no harm Uncle" he replied softly. Part of him was sorry that the two young girls, aged 5 and 7, would not be there. Lefones softness and perchant for childish games shone when he was with his beloved cousins, and they in turn delighted in his games and attention. Wright never ceased to be amazed at the change in his straightly serious nephew when surrounded by laughing children. He would make an excellent father he thought, but onto that subject at dinner.

Wright handed his nephew to a maidservant who in turn showed Lefone to his room. Lefone was pleased to see his luggage had arrived and a manservant was already in the process of putting his clothing and belongings neatly away. Lefone undid his neckachief and threw it onto the huge four poster bed, swept with velvet curtains, silk tassles and thick blankets, before disrobing his waistcoat and shirt. Kicking off his leather riding boots, he stripped down naked and eased himself gently into the warm water.

Leaning back against the back of the copper bath before a large roaring fire, Lefone closed his eyes and let his mind wander over the last few months in London. So many balls, galas and do's. So many people, and yet he could not remember one face. His brow creased a little. Not one face? Apart from Tilneys, of course, but he didn't count. All these years, Lefone refused to accept what he was looking for. A face that he would never forget, a face of someone who would steal his heart, arouse in him the feelings he had only seen in others and in the pages of books, a person who would give him the family he craved. He pretended he wasn't interested in women, but the truth was that no one had stirred his interest yet. His visits to brothels to ease his tensions and increasingly growing frustrations only fuelled his desire to leave them once and for all. The wenches all served to only plunge him deeper into a despair he still didn't realize the cause of. It had been many months since he had visited a parlour, nor had he any desire to see one soon. Lefone gave an air that he did not care for women, that he loved his singledom too much to give it up. But, Oh! If they only knew, he thought. He would give it up in an instant, if only he could. But he would not give it up lightly.

Shaking his head from his depressing thoughts he decided to enjoy his stay with his family and not to dwell on his loneliness any longer. This time would be a time for relaxing and enjoying his liberty. He ducked his head under the water before striding out his bath. Quickly drying himself off, he put on fresh clothing, dried his hair briefly, and walked down to the dining room. Chapter 3

"My dear Thomas, you must know that we have an alterior motive for inviting you to stay with us over the coming months" Mrs Wright said with all the sweetness she could muster. At 44, she still had the looks and body she had twenty years ago, and still loved her husband as much as she did then. At over 20 years her senior, Mr Wright was a proud man of his wife and family. And rightly so, Lefone thought.

Lefone raised an eyebrow to his Aunts sentence and lowered his soup spoon, "An alterior motive? What wickedness are you concocting?" he smiled slightly

Mrs Wright laughed, "Wickedness, my dear boy? Whatever do you take me for?" she dabbed at her mouth with her napkin and laid it to one side. "There is no wickedness my dear, but it is rather serious."

Lefone too lay down his cutlery and looked from Uncle to Aunt with obvious concern. Mr Wright raised his hand, "No need to fret, Thomas, for it is nothing to worry about." He exchanged glances with his wife, and cleared his throat, "How old are you now?"

Lefone laughed, "I am near approaching my thirty-second year, Uncle, and it is something I do not wish to be reminded of often!"

"Well...you are getting older now Thomas, and as such you have certain...responsibilities. As you know, God has not blessed your Aunt and I with sons, and has such my estate and fortune in its entirety will be passed on to you as my closest male relative"

"Uncle, must we speak of such morbid thoughts?" Lefone shook his head, he despised talk of money.

"Yes we must, Thomas, and you must take heed. My estate and wealth will be left to you. I am not a young man, and the day may approach sooner than I would like." Mr Wright reached over and squeezed his wifes hand, as her bottom lip trembled slightly.

"There are several things I need you to promise me. Number one, that when I go you will look after your aunt and cousins. My death could leave them with nothing..."

Lefone interrupted emphatically, "I swear I would never dream of anything of the kind. They would stay here and live as they always have done, and will not need to wish for anything." He smiled reassuringly at his aunt.

Mr Wright smiled, "That is good to hear, although I did not doubt you wouldn't do otherwise. But, I have not yet finished. One last thing...I wish to see you married. And soon."

Lefone remained silent.

"Your parents have written to me asking me to take you under my wing, so to speak. They are concerned that there has not been so much as a hint of your taking a bride. They are growing concerned, as do we. This estate cannot be settled on you if you in turn do not have an heir."

Lefone tapped the table with his index finger, gathering his thoughts.

"I know not how to respond..."

"Is there...something about you character...we should know?"

"What? Oh no...no...I am certainly not....well." Lefone coughed. "I am as keen to be settled and happy as you are. I am just not prepared to marry a simpleton."

Wright laughed, and Lefone couldn't quite tell if it was from merriment of relief. "Well...that's good to hear. But come, finish your meal or it will get quite cold. You have heard what we have to say, and we shall leave it to your judgment to do the rest."

Lefone continued eating his soup in silence. He felt lost.