Library Privileges

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

She smiled and admitted, "I did a lot of tossing and turning, but did manage to get to sleep eventually, how about you?"

"Pretty much the same. You very nearly had me in your bed along about three this morning." I even stood up, but made myself get a drink and lay back down."

"You would have found me awake had you come in." She poured her coffee and sat down before she added, "It's good that we didn't give in to our urges. I'm not at all happy about it because I wanted you so much, but we did the right thing."

He was looking over his cup at her as he tasted his tepid coffee and said, "I looked out toward the streetlight and there is ice everywhere. You never would have made it home last night."

"Ross, I'm glad I stayed. I don't know that I could survive another night like that, but I wouldn't give up what we shared for anything or anybody."

Before anything more could be said, Lois called and asked Ross, "How is it there?"

"It's a mess as far as I can tell. All I can see is an ice coating on everything."

"Did Patty spend the night?"

"Yes, she's in your robe and having coffee with me," he lied. "Want to talk to her?"

"No, I'll talk to her later. So what are your plans for the day?"

"I haven't a clue, it all depends on the ice. If it melts enough, I'll go in to work. If not, I'll stay here and stay warm and safe. How are your classes going?"

"Fair, about half of the group left because of family emergencies from the ice storm. You do know it moved on east and got even worse right?"

"No, I haven't been up long enough to catch the news yet. It sounds awful though."

"I just wanted to see if we still had power and if Patty stayed. I'll see you in a few days."

"Okay, see you."

After Ross put the phone down, Patty waited a second and then asked him, "Did you not tell Lois you love her just because I was sitting here?"

Ross studied the phone silently for a minute. He wasn't even aware that he hadn't told Lois he loved her. He looked at Patty then and in a slow thoughtful cadence said, "No, I wasn't even aware that I hadn't. But more than that, you just made me realize I don't tell her I love her, or at least I haven't for some time."

"Don't say that just because you think that's what I want to hear."

"That's not it at all. Until you said that, I wasn't even aware that I didn't."

"Does she tell you that she loves you?"

"I'd have to think about that a minute, but she didn't just then."

"You know that's a bad habit to get into."

"Yes it is. If you love somebody you should tell them often."

Then she smiled at him and said, "I heard you tell her I as sitting here in her robe."

"I thought that would be a good idea. Having you sit close to me in her shortest and filmiest nightie didn't sound like something that would make her day. It makes my day though." They both knew she was teasing him as she sat there closer to naked than dressed.

"Ross, what are we going to do?"

"You mean now? Well we could take a shower together."

She smiled and admitted, "That would be wonderful, but we both know it wouldn't stop there. No, I was referring to the icy street and your plans for the day."

"Patty, all we can do is wait for the ice to melt enough so you can make it home."

"Ross, as much as I'd like to stay, I'm going to try to go home unless the news convinces me that it isn't safe." There is no way we are going to behave if I stay here all day." He knew she was right. He knew he wanted her to stay, but he also know that he wasn't planning to try very hard to behave. When the news came on about ten minutes later and they talked about the ice melting very rapidly she got up, kissed him softly, and went to get dressed. She came back a few minutes later and they shared an embrace before she said, "Ross, after we have had a chance to cool down and think about things we need to talk, but if I stay and try to talk, I'm going to talk us right into the bedroom. If I don't see you or talk to you before then, I'll see you Tuesday evening."

"Call me when you get home okay? I'll wait right here until then in case you need help."

She kissed him yet again and said, "Thank you for worrying about me." He walked her out and watched her back out of the driveway and ease herself toward her apartment. Ross went back inside and just wandered around the house like a dog looking for its master. The house seemed larger and a lot emptier than just a short time ago. He sat down and started to write. Patty had a good idea. He was going to write about what the two of them had just shared and suffered through. He would either work that into his story or use their experiences in a whole new one.

Chapter Seven

Lois got home Thursday night about eight and told Ross, "They had some long training sessions and sent us all home one day early."

"Are you going to be too tired for your weekend trip?"

"No, I'm fine so that won't be a problem. It will be fun, but it won't be a strenuous weekend I don't imagine. Now tell me how it went for you and Patty."

"Not much to tell. The ice storm was nasty but we never lost our power. Patty read and I wrote a lot of the time."

"You two didn't even talk to each other?"

"Of course we did. We sat next to each other on the couch and talked for quite awhile in fact."

"I hope it wasn't too uncomfortable or awkward for either of you."

"Not really. She admitted that she reads my porn and that made for some awkward conversation, but it wasn't bad. She also admitted she had hated men for a long time, but she thinks she's getting past that now." Ross was doing what he could to cover what had taken place Tuesday night without actually admitting to anything. He didn't lie to her, but he left so much out it was difficult for him to talk about his time with Patty.

"So do you think she was comfortable spending the evening with you?"

"She seemed to be very comfortable once I convinced her she shouldn't risk trying to go home."

Lois seemed satisfied with the answer and said, "I'm glad that you two had a pleasant Tuesday evening. I'd hate to lose our housekeeper now. You have as much time to play as you want now and I don't have to worry or feel guilty every time I go running off with the girls."

"I have to admit I was wrong about that whole subject. Patty has turned out to be the perfect housekeeper and a good friend now."

"Life is perfect now."

"None of this is doing anything for us being together though."

"Oh, we see each other all the time, honey. Like I said, life is good." Life was anything but good for him, but for the time being it was a big improvement to what it was a few short months ago. One thing that was really chewing on him was the realization that neither he nor Lois used the word love anymore, but then, they rarely argued either. That led him to thinking about their love life. In all the years he had known her, she'd had trouble with the winter months but it did seem to be getting a lot worse. Then he realized that this winter really was different in some ways. They still didn't make love, but she seemed a lot more willing and even eager to get out with her friends. Maybe she was finding a way to cope with the whole issue and he could only hope that would spill over into their love life.

At work on Friday, Lois caught up with Patty and asked her, "Would you have time to have coffee with me after work?"

"Sure, anything wrong?"

"Not a thing, but I wanted to ask you about doing something extra for me at home, and...well, I do have something I'd like to talk about too."

Patty could feel herself relaxing so she asked, "Want to have coffee at my place?"

"That would be wonderful. That way we could talk and not be interrupted by the waiter or other people."

"Unless you'll be late you can just follow me home then."

"Wonderful. Meet you at the exit at five then." Patty walked away feeling a mixture of relief and curiosity. Technically she and Ross hadn't made love but their kisses had been so full of passion it was almost like making love. She still didn't know what she was going to do about that mess. As long as she and Ross weren't alone it would be okay, but if for any reason she found herself alone with him again, she knew there would be no stopping, at least not by her, and she had no reason to think Ross would feel any different. It was a very good thing that Lois couldn't read her mind. Now all she had to do was act normal while she and Lois had coffee.

As planned, Lois followed Patty the four miles to her apartment, and all the way there Patty tried to imagine what Lois had on her mind to talk about. She gave Patty the impression that it was of some significance, but she gave no indication that Ross played any part in what she wanted to talk about.

As they went in at Patty's she said, "Make yourself comfortable, the coffee won't take long at all. Patty had her own efficient system and it minutes she was serving French press coffee.

When Lois saw the nice glass coffee server she said, "Very nice Patty, I love French press coffee."

"I'm glad you do. I like it too and it makes just the right amount for me when I just want to relax and have coffee."

"Ross said your awful ice experience had a happy ending."

The way Lois said that could mean that she knew about them kissing but Patty played it innocently. "Ross went out of his way to make the evening pleasant for me. After we had dinner and I finished my work we just spent some time talking. Did he tell you I poured ice water on him?"

Lois smiled and said, "No, he didn't mention that."

"I don't know what came over me, but as we cleared the table after dinner I surprised him." Patty let her smile blossom and finished with, "I guess I need to work on my manners."

"What did he do?"

"He let out a yelp and vowed to get even with me. I tried to apologize, but just couldn't stop grinning at him. He was such a good sport about the whole thing."

"I'm glad you stayed where you were safe and were able to enjoy the evening."

"Thank you for insisting I stay. It really was dangerous to be out. I was halfway between here and your house when I realized I'd made a mistake going out, but it was faster to keep going than try to turn around."

Lois paused over her coffee and then setting her cup down said, "One thing I wanted to ask you is would you be willing to work some extra hours? I want to pull all of my spring and summer things out and either press or wash whatever needs attention. It won't be long and I'll want to be making the change in my closet."

"Of course, when did you have in mind?"

"Well, would this weekend work? That way if Saturday isn't enough time for you, you'll have Sunday to finish."

"That would be fine. I won't be in your way will I?"

"Not at all. Ross will likely spend a good part of his day in his office and I won't even be in town until late Sunday."

"You won't?" Patty could feel her heart jump and she wished she hadn't been so quick to agree to the weekend. "Lois...unless you're in a hurry to have that done...maybe Ross would just enjoy having some time to himself."

Lois just smiled and said, "If Ross has the choice of being alone or having you there, I'd be willing to bet he'd prefer having you there." Patty just looked at her in confusion, unable to decide how to respond. "Patty, I know Ross thinks the world of you. I know he watches you, and in fact he even admitted to me that he likes to look at your legs."

Patty said almost too quickly, "Then I'll stop wearing shorts."

"That's not necessary at all. Obviously you are more comfortable in shorts and if Ross looks, that's fine." There was an almost uncomfortably long silence before Lois continued. "Patty, I have little doubt that he wants to make love to you."

"Lois, what are you saying?"

"Just that he has developed stronger feelings for you than he's willing to admit, and perhaps, even to himself. Your ice water trick is a good example. Had anybody else done that he wouldn't have been the least bit gracious. I'm not sure that I could have done that and not seen him react a whole lot differently."

"But Lois, he and I have never..."

"Oh, I believe you. I know that you're divorce nearly destroyed you and that you haven't had any..., thoughts about men or at least any good ones. But I've watched you around him and it isn't hard to see that you're finally getting past the trauma of your past."

"Lois, what are you trying to say?"

"I'm trying to find a way to say what I want to say without shocking you."

"Perhaps it would be easier just to say it so we can sort it out and move on."

Lois looked at her, down at her cup and then back to her. "Patty, what I'm trying to say is I don't mind if you and Ross make love. There I've said it." All Patty could do was stare at her in silence. "Patty, I know this is a shock to you, but I've been giving this a lot of thought. All I ask is that you two don't make love while I'm there."

"I don't know what to think or say. What could ever make you say something like that? Why would you even think I want to make love to Ross?"

"Patty, my desire to..., I really don't want to make love to him. I don't know why I've changed, but I have and I can't pretend I haven't."

"Have you seen a doctor?"

"No, and I don't intend to. I feel fine, great even. I'm getting along very nicely, but I've been worried about Ross for a long time. He is still young and isn't about to agree to a celibate life. Not with me or anybody else. Am I wrong about how you feel about him?"

"Lois in the beginning I was surprised to find that I even liked him. Then as time passed, I had to accept the fact that I saw him as handsome, talented, and charming. Then when you told me about how he worried about me, I realized he has such a sweet heart."

"Okay, keep going. Patty, you will not hurt my feelings or make me mad."

"I don't know what else to say except to add I think he's a wonderful guy."

"So you don't see the two of you making love?"

"This whole conversation is so far out that I don't know what to think. I just can't answer that question with a simple yes or no. Lois, I wouldn't make love to any man just for the physical satisfaction. If I were to make love him I would have to have a solid emotional connection."

"I can understand that." Lois stood up and said, "I'm sure what I've told you comes as a shock, and I'm sorry there wasn't a better or rather a gentler way to tell you how I feel."

"I can't understand how you can casually offer your husband to me."

"It isn't casual, believe me. This was in the back of my mind almost from the beginning."

"Are you saying you either expected us to make love or you planned to bring us together?"

"Something like that. I honestly expected the two of you to make love by now. Both of you are so full of life and I could see early on that you two really enjoy each other's company."

"But when you approached me to clean your house, having a man in my life just wasn't part of my plan."

"Oh, I know that, but I also know that you missed having a man in your life. Not just any man, but somebody you could respect and trust." Patty followed her toward the door and Lois added, "Well, if nothing else I've given you something to think about." She opened the door and then turned to Patty and said, "I'll leave it up to you to tell Ross or not. If you do tell him, Ross and I, of course, will have to spend many hours, if not weeks, talking about this. If you choose not to tell him, all of that can be avoided and the three of us can get on with our lives. Oh, and I'll let Ross know that you'll be there tomorrow morning. Otherwise, you might catch him lounging in his underwear or less. Bye."

Chapter Eight

All she could do was ask herself, how could a woman just offer her husband to another woman and casually walk away? Even after she had warned Lois of her need for emotional involvement, Lois just nodded and almost smiled. Patty felt that she had all but told Lois that love could be involved if she were to make love to Ross. Didn't she worry about the risk of losing her husband? Didn't she realize the great risk that she was taking? Then Patty thought about herself. What was she going to do? Since being with and making love to Ross had been dominating her thoughts, she had to accept the very real probability that would happen sometime in the next twenty four hours or even less. Was she ready to so totally submit herself to another man, especially a married man? She had to think about what she was going to tell Ross before anything ore happened between them. The only thing she knew for sure was, if it weren't for her strong feelings for him, she could walk away from the whole mess.

Patty went to the kitchen and mindlessly fixed a small dinner. Not because she was hungry anymore, but it gave her something to do; something to occupy her mind. She picked her way through, but ended up tossing it out and curled up on the couch. She tried so hard to remind herself why it wouldn't be smart to take advantage Lois' offer, but all she could focus on, was how Ross felt in her arms. She managed to make it through the evening, but by nine o'clock she was curled up in bed and waited for sleep to rescue her from her thoughts.

She felt a little better Saturday morning, but no less confused or uncertain. How was she going to act when she saw Ross? How was she going to stop herself from just walking his arms and then take him to bed? No, she had to be in control. She didn't even know if Ross would have second thoughts. What if he was buried in guilt and wouldn't want to get near her? She had a quick breakfast and then showered and got ready to go to work. She had her plan. After a cordial greeting she was going to get on with her work and not worry about what she would do until after she was done working and she'd had time to gauge Ross' feelings. She felt better knowing she had a plan, more like she had a chance of keeping control of her emotions.

It took her less than ten minutes to get to Lois and Russ' and after parking in his driveway she sat there a minute and had a talk with herself, took a deep breath and went in. Her resolve lasted until she hit the kitchen and saw him standing there saying to her, "Morning honey, damn I've missed you." She fell into his arms and they shared a long and tender kiss before she managed to find the strength to say, "Now we have to behave so I can get started or I'll never get my work done"

"Okay, but as soon as Lois told me you would be here I started to mentally pace until I could see you."

"What did Lois say by the way?"

"Just that you would be here to go through her spring and summer things, and that you would likely be here all day at the very least and possibly well into tomorrow. Oh, and she left you a note in the bedroom about what clothes and where they are and so forth. Oh, and one more thing, I have plans for lunch and dinner for us if that's okay."

"That's wonderful. When did she tell you about me being here this weekend?"

"Thursday evening, right after she got in from her training session."

"Really? She didn't waste any time then it seems. I better go read the note and get started."

"Coffee in a little while?"

"Sure, I'll come looking for you." She was pretty proud of herself. When she saw him and he greeted her so warmly she melted but she didn't lose all control. But then she also knew the day was just starting and Lois had set the tone by saying Patty would be around for at least the day and likely much longer. She found Lois' note and like Ross had said, it detailed where to find the clothes and then went on to tell her that she meant all that she had said when they talked at Patty's house.

After sorting clothes and running a load of laundry, it was easy for Patty to see that she wouldn't need all of Saturday, let alone part of Sunday, so Lois had to be setting the stage for a weekend long tryst with Ross. She went looking for him and found him in the kitchen. When he saw her he smiled and said, "Perfect timing, I just made coffee." She went over to him and they melted together as he said, "You feel so good in my arms."