Life as a New Hire Ch. 33

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here
FinalStand
FinalStand
5,294 Followers

The three, smaller radar blurs heralded a trio of brash, night-time assaults. The 330th Mongolian Special Task Battalion para-dropped around the city of Zalantun, taking much of the city center, rail station and adjacent super-highway by daybreak. The 84th Mongolian Special Task Battalion's helicopter-borne attack overwhelmed the surprised defenders at Morin Dawa, taking the bridge over the Nen River intact.

The third group, the Mongolian 150th Light Battalion, seized the town of Alihe in a 'thunder run' that lasted most of the night and covered over 80 km (50 miles). The use of these three small, regular Mongolian Army formations was the first ominous sign that the Khanate's forces were integrating at an alarmingly rapid pace.

The 1st and 2nd Mongolian Provisional Mechanized Brigades (PMB) racing to relieve their brethren at Alihe (1st) and Morin Dawa (2nd) reinforced that chilling realization. That was bad news for the PRC, but it was really bad news for the Russian Armed Forces. Individually, the armies of Kazakhstan, Turkmenistan, Uzbekistan, Kyrgyzstan and Mongolia were bite-sized morsels in the face of the Russian Bear. Combined?

The next bit of bad news was political. The PLA forces arrayed against the rapidly gathering Russian 'peace-keepers' were getting blown to pieces ... whereas the Khanate's land forces were still hundreds of kilometers away. To the outside world it look like the Russians were about to cross the border with the connivance of the Khanate. That last bit of bad news was also good news - the Russians could now seize the Amur River crossings and start rescuing Northeastern China with minimal Russian loss of life.

Those three towns that most Chinese, much less the rest of the world, had never heard of? Alihe was the key crossroads of northern Nei Mongol, situated in the Hinggan Mountains that dominated that part of the country. Taking that town ended all hopes for the PLA to hold onto the northernmost third of Nei Mongol.

Morin Dawa? It was on the border between the northern Nei Mongol and Heilongjiang provinces and the bridge across the Nen River was the closest route to the Russians sitting on the Amur. The 2nd Mongolian PMB was racing to link up with them and by noon would be poised to cross into Heilongjiang and invaded the prosperous Northeast.

Their avenue was clear: the G111 to the S301were both wide, hard-surfaced roadways with no significant terrain barriers, or urban centers, along the 350 km (215 miles) to the key port city of Heihe. Heihe was the Chinese city on the south bank of the Amur River opposite Russia's Blagoveshchensk - the planned crossing point for Russia's 35th Army's peace-keeping forces that were to protect Manchuria from possible Khanate attack.

If the Khanate took Heihe before the PRC gave permission for Russia to intervene; that would shit-can Putin's plans. The intervention would then be Russia going to war with the occupying Khanate. Despite what the western news sources were saying, the Russians had a more robust picture of the combat capabilities of the Khanate military and the massive scale of their mobilizations. There seemed to be every indication that that Khanate would fight, and fight hard.

That would not give Vladimir Putin the 'Short Victorious War' he wanted in order to boost his popularity with his 'nationalist' base. Instead, it would be a 'Chechnya' on a continent-wide scale - a bleeding wound, reminiscent of the Soviet misadventure in Afghanistan. If he took Heihe first? How could the PRC object? They were about to lose the city anyway. And if the Chinese refused to accept his generous offer? From Heihe it was a straight run down the 202 highway to Harbin. Seizing Harbin meant control of the region's transportation web.

Playing into Putin's ambitions was the third lightning ploy by the Khanate in those early morning hours - Zalantun. That large town was situated in the key mountain pass that led down from the Mongolian plateau to the Manchurian plains.

The Commander of the Beijing Military Region could read a map a well as Temujin. He committed the available rapid response elements of the still mobilizing 3rd Reserve division to attack the 330th shortly after dawn. By that time, the North Mongol Banner Tumens had already batted aside the feeble remnants of the PLA's 65th Army and was racing for Zalantun from the northwest.

The outcome of the Battle of Zalantun was important for all three concerned parties. Not because the town itself had value. Nah, men and women were fighting and dying that day for what lay in the Manchurian plain below - the second largest city in Heilongjiang; Qiqihar with its large, Islamic, non-Han Chinese minority.

End of More World Events

(Concurrent happenings)

If Russia was going to profit from this, she had to act right then - decisively. While the GRU (Russia's military intelligence service) began back-channel talks with the PLA front-line commanders in the Northeast, Foreign Secretary Sergey Lavrov directed his UN Ambassador, Vitaly Ivanovich Churkin, to talk to his Kazak and Mongolian counterparts - again.

It was politely suggested that if Russia first recognized the Khanate and proposed a cease-fire to the PRC, the Khanate might respond cordially. Putin wasn't going to do that. This time, Sergey and Churkin had a backup plan. They sent SVR-RF (Foreign Intelligence Service of the Russian Federation) to talk with Hana Sulkanen. She apparently had the influence that Russia needed and they needed it now.

A few threats by large men claiming to be from Gazprom (the Russian Natural Gas monopoly) got Hana's personal assistant to cough up an address for the nice Manhattan eatery Hana had sneaked off to. This hastily scheduled luncheon had come about for two reasons: Hana had gained a level of notoriety that some people found troubling (for her own safety) and the other reason was - what part of his life would 'Cáel' devote to Hana as her fiancé and what part of 'me, Mr. Love-Monkey' would be shared among the rest of the women gathered at the table.

In every other universe, one Russian military attaché and four SVR-RF operatives would have been sufficient to the task of 'convincing' Hana to take a little walk with them.

In this universe...Rhada was hellishly on edge, Oneida wanted to punch somebody - anybody - just to release some of her stress, and NYPD Officer Nikita Kutuzov was nervous because three other women at the table besides herself also had had firearms. Buffy wasn't nervous. She was pissed. The moron she loved was exploring a whole series of new ways to kill himself while doing good deeds for the Host - that selfish bastard (aka me).

Buffy, in her own weird way, decided that while giving Hana an update on me (Cáel), the group of them could explore what they were going to do with my life. Buffy had felt obliged, for Hana's sake, to invite Brooke and Libra as well - two 'normal' chicks. I swear, I loved NOT getting invited to these kinds of affairs. Silence is not an option and you can never say the right thing.

The backdrop for this pivotal meeting was a moderately inexpensive kosher diner with an otherwise small number of post-lunch hour customers. This was downtown New York. The Russians weren't planning to storm the place. They certainly didn't expect Hana to have any significant level of protection either.

For some reason, the attaché's initial hushed observation was, "Don't worry, they are just a bunch of girls." By that time, the SVR-RF guys were of a very different opinion. Buffy possessed sufficient spycraft to not give off the 'I'm packing heat' vibe. Niki, Rhada and Oneida didn't.

[OKH] "Bows," Buffy hissed.

She felt a certain exhilaration giving her first battle command in the Amazon tongue. The other two Amazons locked onto the five men. Niki's eyes followed along that path with the same results. Libra studied the oncoming group, then tapped Brooke, who noted the leader studying Hana.

"Hana, get behind me," Brooke urged. Why did she say that? It was sweet of her; utterly naïve and unexpected. Somehow, Hana mattering to me now mattered to Brooke, mattered enough for her to get involved. Hana actually followed through, taking shelter behind her.

"NYPD," Nikita proffered up her badge. "Can I help you?" This was another unwelcome hurdle for the Russians.

"We need to talk to Ms. Sulkanen - in private," the leader menaced. He had heavily armed back-up to add weight to his demand.

"Stick it up your ass, Ivan," Buffy exercised her normal levels of diplomacy as all three Amazons stood up. "Next time use a phone like a normal human being. As it is, you are just being rude. Beat it."

"Buffy, let me hear them out," Hana interjected.

"Please step outside with us, Miss," Mr. Attaché directed.

"Oh, no," Hana chuckled. "If I've learned one thing from being Magyarorszag es Erdely Hercegné, it is that I bear my fiancé's burden - my words can kill as well as save."

"What does that mean?" the lead Russian asked after a few seconds of failing to digest her words.

"For starters, if all you wanted to do was engage in civil discourse, you wouldn't have put the fear of Whatever into Ms. Meacham, my PA, who should have notified me of your arrival. To me, that implies you seriously threatened her. Bad move.

You have brought with you four men that I assume, by my companions' reactions, to be armed," Hana explained politely. "Bad move again."

"We would rather talk to you now about your ties to the terrorist state called the Khanate. But if you would rather, we can talk to you when you land in St. Petersburg," he threatened.

"I hate to imply that I don't trust Aeroflot, but I'm flying to Astana in the former Kazakhstan, via Rome courtesy of the United Nations," Hana replied calmly. "Because I try to be a good person, I will meet you halfway. If the ladies would consent to step back ~ say ten feet, you and I can have a private discussion and review our options."

"I'm not leaving," Buffy made her stance clear. Hana nodded, then scanned the rest. With varying degrees of reluctance, the rest started moving to the deli's counter.

"Your men as well," Hana addressed the attaché.

"They are my bodyguards and professionals," he feigned politeness.

Two more people, wearing long coats despite the summer, heat walked into the front of the kosher restaurant - a man and a woman. Even Brooke and Libra knew by now that this meant 'heavy firepower'. This caused everyone some confusion.

"We are Irish," the male member of the duo stated. He didn't sound Irish. He didn't have to. Buffy smiled. Had the situation been less tense, she would have hit herself.

Of course my aunts had people watching over my fiancé. Duh. That didn't register with the Russians, so Buffy brought them into the loop.

"They are here with Hana, of course," my 'First' grinned like her favorite American carnivore, the jaguar. Hana took that enlightenment in stride.

"You and me, Mr.?" Hana returned to her initial proposal.

"Major Maxim Stepanovich Bukhalo, Miss Sulkanen," the attaché provided. This time the Major took in the tactical situation carefully. Buffy was between him and Hana. To his upper left-facing forward was the NYPD officer. To his far-rear left were the other two armed women.

Lastly, to his bottom-right were the two 'Irish' guardians. His team would be caught in a crossfire. He waved his security away, then took a seat opposite Hana and Buffy.

[Hebrew] "I left the Homeland for this?" muttered the old Jewish (and former Israeli) owner of the eatery. "First it was Palestinians and now it's the Russian Mafia and the 'Westies' (a violent gang based in a traditional Irish part of NYC)."

"Order something," Libra demanded of the SVR-RF team.

"What?" the team leader glared back.

"You are in the man's place of business. Order some damn food and something to drink. It is only polite. We did," Libra drove home her point.

While the Russians privately debated that, the male member of the Irish team walked over to the part of the counter closest to the door. He ordered two teas, Kugel, Lox & Bagels and one bowl of Teiglach for a combined dessert. The owner shouted the order back to his female Georgian (the country in the Caucasus Mountains, not the State) cook.

His Armenian waiter delivered the teas and glasses of water right after the Irishman resumed his seat.

"To make clear my reason for being here," the Major stared at Hana intently, "we need to talk to someone capable of decision-making inside the Khanate military and we need this to be done in the next six hours."

The six hour deadline was made up. The Major was lying to the wrong woman. Despite that, Hana did realize that the man was actually on a credible and important mission. Hana thought about her response carefully. She was in this position because she had seen a human catastrophe looming on the horizon and simply couldn't sit back without trying to do something.

Honestly, Hana had believed earlier that her efforts would be in vain. She would try, fail and - in a way - feel somewhat better about herself for having tried. It didn't work out that way. She'd called Iskender and asked if he could fit her into his schedule. Iskender told her to come right over. Thirty minutes later, she was talking to his boss and fifteen minutes later, the LEADER of the Khanate gave her quest his blessing.

It was rather unsettling for her to discover the way my name, Cáel Wakko Ishara (aka Nyilas), made the Khanate hierarchy 'hop to' and get things done for her. In her experience, the Central Asian tribal types were rather insular. In the process of coordinating a 'safe air corridor' for humanitarian flights into Western Xinxiang, Hana's scintillating intellect completed the jigsaw puzzle.

"Mr. Iskender, can I ask a delicate question?" she'd later inquired of the Khanate's point man.

"Of course," he smiled.

"Cáel saved the Great Khan's life, didn't he?"

"Yes," Iskender nodded. "Yes he did, at great personal risk to himself and he asked for nothing in return. That is all I can say on the matter for now."

That was giving me undeserved credit for the five Amazon augurs who gave their lives so that I could carry that message to the Earth & Sky. I had walked into their lair to give forth that news, thus saving Temujin's young life from the clutches of the Chinese-based Seven Pillars of Heaven Secret Society. Yes, I had done it to help my Amazons. I'd also done it to save that one person's life - it was the right thing to do. That was the spark that linked me and the 'Great Khan' - my love of life, any life.

Hana had wanted to ask several more questions, yet knew the matter was closed for the nonce. She'd left wondering if I understood that in some cultures, when you save a man's life, you became his brother.

I did and I didn't. It was in that maelstrom of Alal's memories, but the latter prioritized my picture book images of his knowledge by what I needed in the present and the immediate future, not what I needed a week down the line. Thus, I was currently remiss in my knowledge of Mongol social customs. Back at the meal.

"What do you need?" Hana stated. "Be precise."

"We need to reestablish diplomatic contact to discuss regional security," he responded.

"Buffy," Hana sighed, "was that about the least precise response he could have possibly made?"

"Without outright lying to you - yes," Buffy affirmed.

"Major Bukhalo, the Khanate is running very lean right now. Their time, thus their every word, is precious. They are fighting for their very existence, where a misinterpreted word, or a broken promise, could prove fatal," Hana explained. "Here is how it works: you ask the Khanate to do something, and they will either say 'yes' or 'no'...and that's that. There is no discussion."

"You got what you wanted from the Khanate when they turned everyone else away," the Major pointed out. "How do you explain that?"

"My fiancé is respected by their leadership. That translates to the Khanate respecting me and my wishes," she answered.

"So you could strike some sort of deal," the man edged in.

"No," Hana shook her head. "Let me make it perfectly clear; my status in the Khanate flows specifically from my fiancé. He is renowned for his kindness and mercy, so when I spoke of such things to the Khanate, they knew I was speaking in his voice."

"Fine, let me speak to him," the Major racked his mind for, "...Cáel Nyilas. Where can I find him?" Hana looked to Buffy, who shrugged noncommittally.

"We'll have him get in touch with you," Buffy said.

"Time is of the essence," he insisted.

"We will make sure that he understands that," Hana said. "It would greatly aid the process if he knew what he was being asked to consider."

"We need to establish upper level military liaisons," the Major hedged.

"That is not going to work," Hana sighed.

"Make a proposal and he'll examine it and either endorse the plan, or reject it," Hana clarified. "If he thinks what you propose is in the Khanate's best interest, he will send that on to the Khanate leadership."

"That's not diplomacy," the Russian balked. "Who works like that?"

"People who trust people. Not groups, agencies, departments, or countries," Buffy growled. "People you can believe will tell you what's on their minds and in their hearts. Friends."

"Blood brothers," Hana added.

"So if I give Mr. Nyilas a proposal from the Russian government and he approves of it, that's that? That is what will happen?" the man seemed stunned.

"That is what I've been saying," Hana gave a conciliatory smile. "I suspect anything that Cáel 'okays' has an 85% chance of acceptance by the Khanate. The margin of doubt is based on the rapidly changing situation in Asia right now." The Major stood up. His security detachment, who had just finished ordering, stood as well.

"We'll be in touch," he stated before turning and hurriedly exiting the establishment. The two Irish remained seated. The ladies gathered around the table and resumed their places.

"What was that all about?" Oneida worried.

"Cáel is in deep shit, isn't he?" Nikita suggested.

"A great deal of it," Hana looked at her trembling hands. "That is why I'm so afraid - because I don't know for sure."

"Do you really think that Cáel's opinion will have any weight with the Khanate?" Buffy studied Hana.

"Well, if any of you think that Cáel saved the Great Khan's life, raise your hands," Hana mused. In the next second, all of their right hands went up.

"Then yes," Hana sighed. "I don't think Cáel understands it, but by saving that man's life, he became a...um...the best western equivalent definition would be step-siblings with a shared sacred origin. Close enough to be family - never in a position to inherit.

Since I'm betting the Great Khan doesn't have many immediate kin; that makes our Cáel special in more than just a symbolic way. From a supernatural interpretation, their fates are now intertwined and by that way of perceiving reality, Cáel would always act in his spiritual-brother's behalf for his brother's best interest, and vice versa. That was why Cáel's name opened doors for me with their people in New York. It took me a while to figure it out, but it has been confirmed by at least one person in the know," Hana concluded.

Buffy shook her head in disbelief. "I've spent 9 years - a third of my life - learning how to kill people, training to become adept at espionage and achieving pretty much all around kick-butt status. Cáel stumbles out of some no-name college and sets off a world-wide shit-storm.

I honestly believed I would never trust a man, much less like one, until I met that idiot," she sighed.

"I'd still be getting over Trent," Brooke volunteered.

FinalStand
FinalStand
5,294 Followers