Life Begins Again Ch. 05

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

"I didn't know what to do. And then I forgot about it when you guys came over," Andrea lied.

"That's a convenient story," Nicole remarked sharply. "Did you know about this?" She turned her attention to Andy.

"Yes," he answered hesitantly.

"And when wereyougoing to tellme?"

Taking the cue from his daughter, Andy said, "I forgot about it also."

"And yet, sometime between the times you both came home and we arrived, you remembered to discuss it." She was in lawyer mode.

And he tried a different tack. "Look we have a good thing going here and I don't want to mess it up. Andrea and I were both as horrified as are you and Nick. The truth is, I didn't know how to tell you or even if I should. I agree it means our exes are together. What were the odds of that? But I'm sure they were just passing through Miami, probably even on their way out of the country, so I wasn't sure that telling you would serve any purpose. Obviously, that was poor judgment on my part."

"It wasverypoor judgment," Nicole countered. "It shows that I can't trust you to be any more honest than my ex was. And Nick and I don't have any place in our lives for people who will deceive us. So, I'm done. You're old enough to make your own choice, Nick."

"I'm with you mom."

Despite protestations from Andy and Andrea, mother and son quickly dressed and departed.

After they were gone with tears in her eyes Andrea said, "I'm sorry, dad, I shouldn't have been so nosy to root through Nick's backpack."

"Don't beat yourself up. I probably would have done the same thing. Despite what she said, it's not over. She's a rational woman. I think she'll come to her senses."

"I don't know. She seemed pretty angry. Nick, too."

"She was hurt. There's a difference. She'll come around."

* * *

But she didn't. And several days passed. Nick, too, avoided Andrea like the plague. It even affected Andy's and Andrea's relationship in that both were becoming so distraught; they couldn't even sleep together and hadn't had sex since that fateful night.

It didn't take Andrea long to realize that unless she was ready to give up on Nickshehad to make something happen. So, one day, she followed him discreetly to his car, and the moment he unlocked it, which caused the passenger door to unlock also, she had positioned herself to quickly slip into the passenger seat. She figured he wouldn't leave his own car just to get away from her.

To his stunned expression, Andrea authoritatively said, "Just listen. It's obvious you have no more interest in me, and for that, I'm truly sorry. My dad and I were wrong to withhold that information from you, but we honestly didn't know what to do. You have to admit, though, knowing what we know about each other—our little family secrets—there is really no one else we can be happy with. But if it's still more than you can handle, then so be it. However, we're still young and have plenty of time to find someone else—even though we didn't seem to be too successful before we found each other.

"That aside, let's think of our parents.Theyneed each other. There'sno oneelse for either except each other. So,we—you and I—need to set aside our differences long enough to get them back together. Once we do that, if you still don't want me, we can go our separate ways."

His stoic expression had not changed throughout her oratory, so she didn't know if she had gotten through to him or not. Finally, he spoke. "Was that really the truth about those letters?"

"My dad gave me the letter that morning," she explained honestly. "As soon as I saw that it was from my mother I threw it in the trash. Fast forward, you and I are in the student coffee shop, you go to the restroom; I pull out my textbook to check something I wasn't certain about and out pops the envelope. Apparently, my dad retrieved it from the trash and stuck it in my book. Curiosity got the better of me and I read it. She was asking forgiveness, yada, yada, yada. I was going to tear it up, but it slipped out of my hands and fell on the floor right beside your backpack. I reached to pick it up, saw that one of the pouches in your backpack was unzipped and the edge of a similar envelope was showing. I couldn't help pulling it out. I was stunned. Same envelope, same postmark, the meaning was crystal clear. Before I could even rationally think about what to do, you returned and caught me off guard so I just stuffed the two envelopes in my book.

"I told my dad and he didn't know what to do either. He really believed your dad and my mom were just passing through Miami out of the country and we just weren't sure telling you and Nicole would serve any purpose; at least, not right away. It was a poor, but honest choice. And we both regret it more that you know." Andrea paused to look at him with little lost sheep eyes. "So?"

Nick took a deep breath and dragged the palm of his hand across his forehead. "I don't know where to start. I might have reacted a little irrationally myself that night. I believe what you and your dad said, but I knew the expression on my mom's face, and I knew she was upset, and I didn't want to disagree with her and make it three against one. So, I went with her. Over the next few days I was miserable. I avoided you because I didn't know what to say to you; how I could still be with you but not offend my mother. Ithinkshe feels the same, but the lawyer in her won't let her give in. So, as far as getting her and your dad back together, that's not going to be easy."

"But you and I are good?" Andrea asked hesitantly, thinking that was what he was alluding to.

"I would like us to be," he said humbly. "Can we just say that we each made a mistake and we're entitled to some mistakes and move on?"

"Works for me. Can we seal it with a kiss?"

And they did . . . as passionately as they could without it leading to more.

"Now, we need to go somewhere and strategize about how to get my mom and your dad back together. She told me about this great little coffee shop, if you're game."

"Drive."

* * *

Andy chose to deal with his misery by going back to where it all began: Dr. Podesta. The only difference this time was that he chose individual counseling rather than group. He was at first surprised to see Nicole sitting in the waiting room. Then he thought that if this was his method of coping, why would it not be hers also.

Nicole frowned upon seeing him, which was not a good sign, but then he really could not blame her. "What brings you here?" she asked, less than graciously.

He shrugged. "My wife left me for another man. And just when I thought I would never know happiness again, I met this incredible and beautiful woman with whom I fell hopelessly in love. Then I foolishly made an error in judgment and didn't tell her something I should have, and she left me. I only wanted to protect her, but I guess she didn't need protecting. If only she knew how sorry I was and how much I regret not being honest with her, she might understand. Anyway, it occurred to me that I suck at relationships, so I decided I needed more counseling." He looked up at her. "What about you?"

"My husband left me for another woman. And I thought my happy days were over, but I met this wonderful man. My son and his daughter got along very well. And the four of us had some exciting time together. He withheld some information from me, and I know now he was only trying to protect me. But I jumped to conclusions and was too stubborn to realize it. So, I stupidly left him. I only wish he would ignore my lapse in judgment, but I fear it may be too late."

"Well, we're a couple of pathetic creatures aren't we?" Andy he pointed out.

"Yes, we are," Nicole agreed. "You think the doctor will be able to help us?"

"To be truthful, this has made me lose interest in counseling."

"Oh," she said, her spirit dropping.

"What I do feel like is a cup of coffee. I know this great little coffee shop not far from here. Would you care to join me?"

"I was afraid you wouldn't ask."

At that moment, Dr. Podesta stepped out from a nearby hallway, and they realized she'd heard everything. To their mystified expressions she said, "Go on. Get out of here. My work is done."

* * *

Andrea and Nick began their strategizing immediately during the short ride to the coffee shop. Nothing they could come up with seemed to have any chance at success. So, they arrived with little optimism.

That is, until they walked in and saw their parents sitting at a table, Andy's arm around Nicole. Suddenly, the sun was shining.

Likewise, Andy and Nicole had been discussing ways of getting their children back together, knowing that their relationship would be difficult going forward if his daughter and her son were at odds with each other. But their gray skies cleared up when, much to their surprise, Nick and Andrea entered holding hands.

The children stood before their parents' table and the four regarded one another. Gradually, wide grins formed on the younger couple's faces leading to the adults smiling just as broadly.

Finally, Andy spoke: "The circle is complete. Life for us begins again."

THE END

12