Life Is Better Than Fiction

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

I led her to my pick up camper combination and she smiled as I helped her inside. It wasn't too bad but I knew that I needed to get it really cleaned up after I got home.

As I started to drive in the direction she pointed, I said, "I have to ask, sorry. Did you catch any fallout from the other night?"

"No; actually he was already asleep when I got to the room and he was foggy the next morning."

"Too much beer, huh?"

"Well that but it was probably more likely a blow job that did him in. And before you ask why I stay with him, it is because it hasn't gotten bad enough for me to leave but it is getting close. Now, no more on that subject. I want to bask in the glow of a celebrity tonight."

"Gawd; I thought you were a real person not one of those silly middle aged groupies."

"I'll have you know, I am not middle aged! I am twenty nine and will be thirty in two months. So there."

"You are just a baby. I feel like I am robbing the cradle going to dinner with you. Will I need to feed you?"

"I might let you but it won't be pablum and it won't be because I need it. Where is that charm and wit you showed me the other night?"

"The charm is still in the candy store and the wit won't come out until I have had a scotch or a glass of wine."

"Ok, we'll solve that in a minute if you will turn into that parking lot on the right. The desk clerk at my hotel is from Italy and he says that this is the only place he will eat. It reminds him of home."

"That sounds like a good recommendation to me. Have you ever been to Italy?"

"Are you kidding me? The farthest I have been from where I grew up is 500 miles. Italy is on my bucket list and I don't want to hear that you have been there three times and loved it."

"Ok, it was more than three but I won't tell you that."

"Thanks. It is one of the places I want to go to some day." I parked and led her inside. At first, I was concerned about the restaurant as it had a big sign out front that said "Pizza to Go." But when we entered, I found that there were two dining rooms; one for the pizza crowd and the other a dimmer room for classic dining. The hostess seated us and said, "Buon appetito." I replied, "Grazie mille."

I looked at Phyllis and said, "Are we under any real time pressure tonight?"

She smiled and said "Not that I know of. I said that I was going to dinner and shopping but that was before I knew that you were here. I'm not worried about it. You did such a good job the other night; I'll let you order for me again. Something with chicken."

I nodded and when the waitress came, I ordered a Compari to start and antipasto. Then I ordered different chicken dish for each of us. I ordered the whole thing in Italian as Phyllis looked at me with a smile.

"You speak Italian?"

"I took Latin in high school and didn't want to learn French or Spanish in college; so I took Italian." I didn't say that I did it because I planned to spend several summers in Italy pursuing various historical venues.

"Why did you ask about the time pressure?"

"Because, if we aren't under a time constraint we can have a classic Italian meal which will be four courses spread out over the evening. We eat a little and then talk before they bring the next course. I ordered us four courses and we will probably take about two or three hours for our meal."

"Oh that sounds wonderful. I guess I need to read up on Italy before I plan to go."

"Traditional Italian food and meals are a whole subject that you can spend years on. The history and traditions are very interesting. And eating like an Italian is both satisfying and relaxing. Ah here comes the Compari; it is an aperitif. Sip slowly."

We sipped the drink and nibbled at the antipasto while we talked about things Italian and then expanded that to other subjects. Once again, I got lost in her smile, her eyes, and her charm. She seemed equally satisfied with our time together. This time she frequently reached over and put her hand on my arm. It was a nice feeling and also mildly erotic to my mind.

We ate and talked and then ate the next course as they were brought out. I selected a nice Italian wine to drink with the main course. Phyllis seemed to enjoy both the meal and the conversation. At least I hope that she was enjoying it at least as half as much as I was. She was a great conversationalist as well as a good listener. We also teased each other a lot as we ate. She accused me of trying to get her fat. I accused her of eating like a parakeet. As we finally finished our gelato, we realized that it was getting late. It was close to eleven thirty and I suspected that midnight was the witching hour.

I said, "I guess that it is time for me to take you to your hotel." It was more of a question that a statement.

"That would probably be a good idea although once again you have charmed me for the entire evening."

"Just as you have done for me. Shall we go?" I paid the check and we went back to the truck and got in. She told me how to get to her hotel and I drove that way.

Suddenly I felt her head rest on my shoulder. It was sudden but I liked it and didn't offer any resistance. In fact, I wouldn't complain at all if her head was resting on my chest as we lay on a bed somewhere before or after we made love. But that wasn't likely to happen. So I just enjoyed the spontaneous moment. As we pulled into the drive of her hotel, she said quietly, "Let me off over here. He just walked into the lobby. I don't want another thing like the other night." I nodded and pulled over to the curb where we weren't visible from the lobby. She turned to me and quickly kissed me again but this time on the lips before she got out of the truck and quickly went into the lobby.

As I sat there, I almost got out and followed her. I had not asked for her last name and phone number or e-mail address. I really would have liked to maintain contact with her by some means. But then I sighed and realized that this might not be the best thing for her or for me. She was married and I wasn't. I felt that we would be good together but perhaps that might also spoil the wonderful memories I had of getting to know her. I drove back to the hotel and packed my bags to get an early start on my drive home.

Two weeks later, I was in my office getting ready for my Monday night class which would be Roman history this semester. It ran from seven to eight thirty. I didn't really need to review my notes because I knew what I was going to say by heart but I always looked them over if for no other reason than to get my head focused on the subject. As I was about to leave, the Dean of my department stuck his head in. "Hey Robert, listen, the enrollment in this class is bigger than we anticipated; so we moved it to the theater room. I know you prefer the smaller room, but you have almost fifty students in this class and it is the only room available with that many seats. If you want a student assistant, I can get you one for Wednesday."

"Oh that's all right. As long as the computer works, I can probably get by on my own. I'll see how it goes tonight and let you know."

"Thanks. I think that your reputation with these three ancient history classes is growing."

"That would be nice. You know that I like them better than the American history."

"I know but most students need that American History credit for their degree plan. We'll see how it goes and maybe we will split it into two classes if the enrollment continues to grow."

"I would really like that. I better get going. Now, I have to walk to the other end of the building."

"You need the exercise." He laughed as he left.

I picked up my notebook and with the flash drive in my pocket, I walked to the end of the building and entered the large theater classroom. I entered and loaded the computer with my drive and then went to the front and put my notebook on the lectern. Finally, I looked out to the crowded room and scanned the group until I was stopped by the smiling face of Phyllis sitting in the front row looking directly at me. I grinned and winked at her and then went into my Dr. Robert Harlowe opening night routine.

"Good evening everyone. My name is Robert Harlowe and I will be sharing the fascinating story of Roman history with you this semester." I was about to go on when I saw a hand go up and it was Phyllis' hand. "Yes, um Miss..."

"Pressley, Dr, Harlowe. I wanted to know how you spell Harlowe." There was a glint in her eye.

I replied, "Like Jean Harlow but with an 'e' on the end. Thank you for asking, Ms. Pressley. Is that spelled like Elvis?"

"No sir. It has two esses."

The young guy sitting next to her muttered, "Who the fuck is Jean Harlowe?"

"Excellent question. Your first homework assignment is to look up Jean Harlow and be prepared to tell me about her on Wednesday night. Now let's talk about the class and then a little about Italy as we know it today."

I spent the next forty five minutes talking about the expectations for the class, the grading system and the three tier special project format that they could chose to work on. In short, if they attended class and passed all of the tests, they earned a C. If they did one or two of the projects, they earned a B and with all three projects, they earned an A. What they got in class was adequate but they needed to do some independent work to really learn the subject. I knew full well that a number of them would be turning in boiler plate reports taken from the files of one of the fraternities or some on-line place. Two of the projects I had used for some time and there were plenty of them floating around but the third project I changed every semester and that was why it took the third one to make an "A."

Since it was the first class, I let them go thirty minutes early after briefly describing the geography and layout of Italy. Most of the class eagerly jumped up and left quickly. Phyllis was slow as she wrote something on a sheet of paper and folded it. Then she walked up to me and said, "I think that I am going to really enjoy this class, Dr. Harlowe." There was lots of emphasis on the "Doctor" and the "Harlowe." As she turned to leave, she placed the folded paper on top of my briefcase.

When I picked it up, it said, "Outside the building on the steps..." I opened the fold and it said, "... and decide where we are going for dinner and also why you kept another surprise from me. Phyllis Pressely." Along with the note, she also wrote her address, phone number and e-mail address. I refolded the note and put it in my briefcase for safe keeping.

I decided to forego another trip to my office and instead headed out to the front door. At the bottom of the steps, she was standing next to the railing with a smile on her face. I also felt like she might have undone a button on the top of her blouse. As I approached her, she said quietly, "So Dr. Harlowe, what is the answer to the second question please?"

"We weren't going to talk about work and this is what I do for a living along with writing dirty novels." I replied with a grin.

"I see. Well I told you that I don't like surprises. I'll punish you later for that. Now your car or mine and this time I am picking up the check for sure. Last time you charmed me so much that you got away with paying again."

"Well usually after the first class of the semester where I get to see all of the young students eager to spend time learning in my class before they go party, I usually do something silly like go eat ribs and wash it down with cold beer. How does that sound to you?"

"That sounds just like home. Let's go. Are we taking your car or mine?"

"It will have to be yours; I live two blocks that way and I don't drive unless it is raining."

"Then let me escort you to my chariot." She took my arm and led me to the student parking lot which was half way to my house and opened the passenger door of a fairly new Lexus for me. Once I was seated, she went around to the driver's seat and got is. Her skirt flared and I got a nice glimpse of two very shapely legs. "Now where are these ribs that you are talking about?"

"There is a barbeque place out by the lake. Do you know it?"

"Yes and that is one of my favorite places although I don't go there very often."

She started the twenty minute drive to the lake and I settled back and then said quietly, "You know that after I took you back to your hotel, I almost kicked myself for not getting your name and at least a phone number or e-mail address. I almost followed you in to get it."

"I know; I realized that too but it was a good that you didn't follow me. Mr. Wonderful was in less than a good mood when I got to the room."

"Not enough beer or no something else?" I asked.

"I didn't ask. But since I got there after him, he accused me of going out and getting laid. I told him that I did exactly what I said I was going to do and that if I had known that he was going to be an asshole about it, I would have gone out and gotten laid. He didn't like that at all and stormed out of the room and came back two hours later very drunk." Then she asked very innocently, "Would you have liked to be the guy who I got laid with if I had done that?"

I grinned and responded with a shallow, "No comment on the grounds that I will get in deep trouble if I answer that honestly."

"I will take that as a positive which is good because you are the first man I have even considered doing that with."

"So you have considered that with another woman then?"

"No comment on the grounds that it will just feed the fantasies that roam around your dirty mind." She grinned. "Remember, I read your book. I know how you think."

"Hey, I'll have you know that I wrote the book without the sex. The publisher liked it but said that it would sell better with some sex in it so I had to add that afterwards."

"Likely story. And either you have a lot more experience than I do or you have a really vivid imagination."

"Stick with the latter; I am mostly perfectly innocent."

"I'll be the judge of that."

"All right, now you can explain how you ended up in my class this semester."

She turned serious as she said, "I dropped out of college when I got married. I was going to be a teacher. When we moved here five years ago, I got a job as a legal secretary. I really enjoy the work and stuff but I decided that I would rather be a lawyer than work for one. Last spring, I decided that I was going back to school this fall. I only need about ten classes to finish but since I can only take two classes each semester, it will take me a couple of years to graduate and then I will go to law school."

"I think you made a good decision. It is never too late to go back to school and pursue something you love."

"I have come to realize that. The primary lawyers I work for do a lot of international trade work. I really like that and think I would like to get into that area of law. That was one of the reasons I enrolled in your class. After our Italian dinner, I realized how much I don't know about Italy and Europe in general. What else do you teach?"

"I usually teach several sections of modern American history but I also rotate this class with Egypt and Middle Eastern History and then Grecian History. These three are the ones classes that I like best. I will be doing Greece in the spring and Egypt during the first summer session. That is why I could do the book tour because I am free the second summer session."

"Will those two be at night too?"

"Greece will be but the summer classes are in the day. Usually, I do the Egypt class early like seven thirty until nine."

"Maybe I can get them to let me come in a little late next summer so I can take it. I think that all three of them would be helpful to me."

"Most people don't realize just how important the history of a people is to their present mindset. Traditions and histories have very long lives. Americans don't understand this because our history is relatively short; but that isn't the case in other places."

"We are here. Now before we go in, there is something that I want you to do."

"What is that?"

"First, put your wallet in the glove compartment. I really am buying. Thank you and now, I want you to kiss me."

"Is that a good idea?"

"It is a great idea unless you really don't want to." She looked down to her lap.

I turned to her and lifted her chin toward me. Then I put my arm around her shoulder and pulled her to me where our lips met in the middle. I then felt the softest and most delicious lips pressed against mine and I melted a little inside. The kiss lasted for several minutes as we each savored the other's lips and then we broke it and looked into each other's eyes for a moment.

Then she said quietly, "That was better than I hoped it would be. Thank you." She reached for the door and got out before I could respond. When I got out, I went to her and slipped my arm around her waist. She didn't resist but snuggled closer to me and we walked inside silently.

The silence didn't last long because once inside, the twin and competing blare of country music and Monday Night Football greeted us. I led her to the far corner which was the quietest table in the place. As usual, it was fairly crowded for a Monday night. There were a several couples dancing and probably twenty five people sitting in the bar watching the game. Our waitress came over and we each ordered a rack of ribs with sides and a pitcher of cold beer. Finally, she leaned over and said close to me ear, "Thank you for the kiss. That was the first one I have had from a man in a long time. I really appreciate it a lot." She gently kissed my ear and pulled back.

I leaned over and said into her ear, "I suspect that some of this might be a little too much for you. Let's just take everything really slow and don't go places where you don't want or aren't ready to go to." I kissed her ear and pulled away.

She repeated her movements to my ear, 'Please understand; it's not that I don't want to. I'm just sort of feeling very vulnerable and unsure of myself."

Before she could pull back, I turned and gently kissed her lips and said, "I understand completely. Let's don't talk about it anymore tonight. We will save that for another time."

That seemed to settle her down and we poured our first beer when the waitress brought the pitcher and our salads. By the time our ribs arrived, we had rediscovered our light banter talk and enjoyed another meal together.

When we finished our food and beer, she paid the check and we walked back to the car. She drove toward the campus and we continued talking mostly about college life. I gave her directions to my house and she pulled up in front and stopped.

I asked, "Would you like to come in for coffee or do you have a curfew tonight?"

She thought for a moment and then replied, "If I am smart, I will be home by midnight for a phone call. That will give me about forty five minutes, if that is all right?"

"That will be perfect. Phyllis, I am not going to put any pressure on you."

"I know; but you can't control the pressure I put on myself."

"Ok, but I will make it as easy on you as I can. How is that?"

She thought for a moment and then said, "Let's have coffee." She turned off the car and we went inside. My house isn't huge and it is an older one that I have made into my bachelor home. The formal living room off the entrance is my library and study. The rest of the house is fairly standard with only a few modifications. Phyllis must have really enjoyed it because she wandered though each room while I brewed the coffee. I added a shot of brandy to each cup as I poured.

When she joined me on the couch, she said, "I love your house. It is so interesting and you have definitely made it your own."

"Thanks. So are you taking another class this semester?"