Life Isn't Always Fair

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here
DG Hear
DG Hear
5,716 Followers

"No, please no. I'll tell the truth, I'll call Sarah tomorrow, I promise," pleaded Derek.

"What about Dorothy? She deserves to know right away. Maybe I'll go tell her right now."

"I'll tell Dorothy as soon as we get off the boat and head for Indiana. I think it would be easier on her then," replied Derek.

"God, I can't stand you. Just get the fuck away from me before I change my mind. Remember, I meant every word I said," I remarked as I threw him to the deck.

"Come on Jim, let's go get a drink," said Bill.

We headed to one of the lounges for a beer while the ship docked. We talked about the situation, which really didn't include me except for the way I felt about Sarah. When we got off the ship, there was no sign of Derek or Dorothy.

Bill tried to make the flight back easier on me by talking about the good times we had on the cruise. He said there was nothing we could do about Derek, and would just have to let the situation take its course.

We talked about bigamists and wondered how they thought they could get away with it, and for how long. Sooner or later they surely are found out. I guess what pissed me off so much about Derek was that he had fooled two really nice women. The situation would have an affect on his kids too.

My phone rang right after I got home.

"I got a call from Sarah. She told me about Derek. Apparently Dorothy had told him to call Sarah the minute they got home," my sister said as soon as I answered.

"Do you want me to go with you to see her, Sherry?"

"No, she's at her parents now with Angel. I told her I would talk with her tomorrow. Damn that bastard. I knew he wasn't any good. Sarah told me that it was you who had seen him on the cruise. Do you want to tell me about it?" asked Sherry.

"I'll tell you what, sis. You supply the beer and I'll come over. Then I'll tell you what I found out. You can relay it to Sarah tomorrow if you want."

"Sounds good Jim, see you in a little bit."

As soon as I hung up the phone it rang again. I answered and it was Dorothy. I could tell by her voice that she had been crying.

"Jim, it's Dorothy. I don't know what to say. I honestly didn't know anything about that stuff with Derek. The reason I called is because I'm too ashamed and mad to talk to Sarah, but I need someone to pass on a bit of information to her."

"Is that asshole husband of yours there?" I asked.

"No, he went to his parent's house. I told him I didn't want him near me till I had some time to think."

"His parents? We were told he was an orphan. I guess he lied about everything."

"Orphan? No, he has wonderful parents, and a brother and sister that are like family to me. That's why I'm calling. You see, I was an orphan and they are all I have. For the last ten years they have been my family. That makes this even harder.

"If I divorce him or he goes to jail, I don't know what I'm going to do. We'll be talking to a lawyer tomorrow. I know everyone hates Derek and would love to see him sent away. I just want them to realize that they will be hurting several people. I know he lied and hurt everyone, especially Sarah. All I ask is that they give a little thought to our family as well."

"Look Dorothy, you seem like a very nice person. But Derek is a bigamist and an asshole. What about his daughter with Sarah? What about her life?"

"He told me Sarah didn't want him in her daughter's life. I can understand that, but I don't know what the courts will do. All I ask is that you pass along this information for me. I don't know anyone else to ask."

"Okay, I'll do it. I won't make any promises because I really don't give a shit what happens to Derek. I do feel sorry for you and your kids for what he's putting you through. Take care Dorothy and good luck."

Damn, here I was involved again. I decided to give the information to Sherry and let the pieces fall where they may. I explained to Sherry and Brad about Dorothy being pregnant and her calling me. Sherry was sensitive to what Dorothy said, but agreed to share the information with Sarah and her parents.

I was confused about whether I should go see Sarah. The last time I kissed her and she asked me to leave. She must not have mentioned it to Sherry, since Sherry hadn't brought it up.

****

A couple of days later, my dad asked if I would start a special project for him. He had a new crew starting up in the Toledo, Ohio area and wanted me to show them the ropes on how our construction business operated. I would be away for about three weeks.

"Jim, it's important to get this crew started off properly. There is no one I trust more than you to do this job," said dad.

"Does this have anything to do with Sarah's situation, dad?"

"Yes, I won't lie to you. I meant it when I said I wanted you to do the training. But I heard that Derek is coming to town to settle this bigamist situation. You haven't hidden your feelings toward Sarah very well. You kind of wear your heart on your sleeve when she's around. I'm worried about what might happen if you and Derek cross paths."

"Dad, I'm a grown man. I wouldn't do anything to harm Sarah, you know that."

"Son, Sarah has her family and your sister by her side right now. Let them worry about this Derek fellow and the court case. The last thing Sarah needs right now is more conflict in her life. Go do this job. By the time you get back, things might have settled some."

"Okay Dad, I'll go get the new crew in shape. If you see Sarah, let her know I'm thinking about her and Angel."

"Will do," dad replied.

I called home a few times in the three weeks I was gone. Sherry told me the judge listened to both sides. Derek had his wife and his parents in the courtroom. As far as she could tell, Dorothy was going to take Derek back if he didn't go to jail

The judge ruled in favor of Sarah, immediately annulling her marriage saying it wasn't legal since Derek already had a wife. After listening to Dorothy, and then Derek's parents, he was put on five years probation on the bigamist charge. If he was arrested for any felony he would be put in jail to serve out his sentence. The judge believed it would benefit everyone if Derek worked and supported his family as well as pay child support to Sarah.

He was to pay a hundred and fifty dollars a week for the support of Angel. Sarah said she didn't care about the money, just didn't want Derek in Angel's life. The judge ruled that he had a right to see his daughter, but Derek told Sarah he would honor her wishes. He would pay the child support due to court orders. Sarah only had his word. To her, that was useless. There was no binding document keeping him away.

Sarah knew that I went away for a few weeks. Soon after I got back, she came over to see me, bringing Angel with her. I was sitting on the porch when I saw her. Smiling, I got up and gave her a hug.

"Sarah, I'm so sorry for everything. I wish there was something that I could have done. I was hoping you would still talk to me."

"Jim, why wouldn't I talk to you? You're one of my best friends."

"Well, you asked me to leave after I kissed you. I need to apologize again for that. I had no right. Then all this shit with Derek, and I was the one who caught him."

"Jim, if it wasn't for you I would be still living a lie. As far as the kiss went, I was just surprised. I care for you, but I was a married woman and shouldn't have allowed my feelings to show."

"Does that mean we're still friends?" I asked.

"Of course, silly. We'll always be friends."

I invited her inside for a beverage while she told me everything that went on in court. She said she had no feelings at all toward Derek. All she wanted was him out of her life. That's when she spotted the little shirt I had bought on the cruise.

"What's this?" she asked.

"Your cruise souvenirs. I figured you wouldn't want them after all the crap that happened."

She picked up the little shirt that said, 'I love my Mommy'. "I love it, Jim. Of course I want Angel to have it."

She then saw a small package. "That one's for you, if you want it," I said.

She opened it and saw the necklace. It was a gold heart with a small diamond in it, on a gold chain.

"It's beautiful, Jim. You do realize that as a married woman I couldn't have accepted it. This is much too expensive and personal."

"You're not married now. Is there any reason you can't accept it?"

Sarah got up, came over to me and kissed me. Not a powerful or overpowering one, but a light gentle one. "No reason I can think of. Thank you, Jim. You're the most wonderful and considerate man I know."

I didn't want to push being closer since she had been going through hell lately. Deep down I wanted more, but I was happy to be her friend again. I was hoping I had time on my side.

Over the next couple of months, we saw each other a few times a week. She came to all family outings. I did the same for celebrations and events in her family. No one ever pushed us or asked questions.

One day I got a call from Sherry. She told me she was pregnant and asked if Sarah and I would go out to dinner and celebrate with them. It was really a happy occasion for all of us.

The following week was mom and dad's anniversary. We all attended the party, including June and Bob Johnson, Sarah's parents.

"Why haven't you gotten closer to Sarah?" Sherry asked me in private.

"I'm not sure if she feels as strongly about me as I do about her. Besides, she may not want to jump right back into a marriage," I replied.

"Jim, she's crazy about you and always has been. She was a faithful wife to Derek but I know she has always had a place for you in your heart. You treat her more like a sister than a girlfriend. Why?"

"What if I ask her to marry me or make a pass at her and she rejects me? Then I might lose the friendship we have. I don't know if I'm ready to chance that yet."

"Jim, you have never had trouble with women..."

"I've never felt this way about other women. I'm almost scared."

"Sarah's my best friend; she always has been. Believe me Jim, she's waiting for you to commit. Don't forget she knows about your past also. You've dated quite a lot of women; maybe Sarah's a little nervous too."

During the evening I had a private talk with the Johnson's concerning Sarah and me. I wanted to take our relationship to the next level but wanted to know how they felt. I asked them to keep our talk a secret and not tell Sarah. I had a few other people I needed to talk to and situations to straighten out. When I told my parents how I felt about Sarah, they said it wasn't a surprise and wished me the best.

At the end of the party, I talked with Sarah and Sherry. I suggested that we all go to the beach the following week. I told them I wanted to see Sarah in a bathing suit. For months she had been exercising, saying she finally got her figure back. Sherry said there was no way that she was going to put on a bathing suit and show off her big belly. We convinced her to at least go in shorts. Sarah reminded me we would need umbrellas because of her light skin.

It was fun playing in the sand with Angel. Looking at Sarah in a two piece suit sure wasn't hard on the eyes. It was a really hot day and we took turns going into the river to cool off. That way someone was always watching Angel. Sherry said she didn't care if she got her shorts and blouse wet, she just wanted to cool off also. We had a great time, and I know I'm repeating myself, but Sarah really did look good.

When I took Sarah and Angel back home, she asked me to come in.

"There's something I would like to talk about. Let me put Angel to bed first. She had a really busy day. Why don't you get a beer, and I'll be right back."

"Thanks, Sarah," I said, then got a beer and waited on the sofa.

"That's better. Well, Jim, I'm thinking of moving. My lease is up in three months, and I feel funny about my parents still helping pay the rent," she said when she walked back into the room.

"Angel and I can find a smaller place. I wanted to tell you since I won't be living as close as we do now. But I really need to find something more affordable," said Sarah. "Mom and dad said we could move back in with them, but I don't want to do that."

I stared at Sarah and she looked at me. "What Jim? What are you thinking?"

"You can move in with me. You won't have to pay rent and we can see each other all the time," I replied.

"I don't think my parents would exactly approve of that living situation—"

"Yes they would," I said, cutting her off.

"And how would you know that?" She laughed, as if I was joking.

"I asked them last week at my parent's party."

"You what? You asked my parents if it was all right for me to move in with you?, They said it would be okay?"

"Well, not exactly. One of the conditions was that we get married."

"Jim, what are you talking about? Did you ask my parents if they had any problems with you marring me? Is that what you're saying?"

"That pretty much covers it. The other condition is that they want you to have a church wedding so they can give you away properly. I had to agree with that also."

"Since you haven't even asked me is there more I should know?" asked Sarah.

I wasn't sure at this point exactly how well this was going. I didn't know if she was mad, confused or teasing me.

"Yes, there is something really big I have to tell you about. It all depends on whether you marry me. I need to make it perfectly clear," I said.

"Okay Jim, I'm all ears," replied Sarah.

"I called Derek the other day. Before you get too mad, here was our conversation."

Dorothy answered the phone. "Hello Dorothy, this is Jim Johnson. I'd like to talk to Derek please."

"Why are you calling here? Derek has been making his payments and held up his side not to go see Sarah or her daughter."

"Just put him on. You can stay on the extension if you like."

"What the hell do you want?" asked Derek when he came on the line.

"I have a proposition for you. I talked to a judge and I want to send you a legal form that you will give up all parental rights for Angel. You will be removed from her birth certificate as her father."

"Why would I want to do such a thing," asked Derek.

"Because you would no longer have any connection to this family, and would no longer have to pay child support for her. You see, I'm going to ask Sarah to marry me, and I want to adopt Angel," I replied.

"What if I don't sign it?"

"To be honest with you Derek, you don't want to go there."

Dorothy knew what I was talking about, I figured. Besides, she didn't want Derek to have any connection to Sarah or Angel.

"Jim, send us the form. I promise you he'll sign it," said Dorothy.

I heard Derek hang up. Dorothy went on to say, "Jim, I know he'll sign it. I want this to be over with. It's been one long nightmare for all of us. I do wish you, Sarah and Angel the best life has to offer."

"Don't forget Dorothy. This is all mute if Sarah doesn't want to marry me."

"She would be crazy not to want to marry you. I saw her and she is a beautiful woman, and far from crazy. Hopefully, this will be the last contact we have with you. Good luck."

I looked over at Sarah. "Well Sarah, now it's all up to you, Will you marry me and let me adopt Angel as my own daughter?"

Sarah had tears streaming down her cheeks. "Of course I'll marry you, you big galoot," she said as she came over and gave me a real kiss.

"What would have happened if I said no?" she asked between kisses.

"I would have had to kill my sister and your best friend. She promised me that you would say yes."

"I knew I always told her too much, but this time I'm sure glad I did."

Our kisses became more passionate. "Sarah, may I make love to you, right here, right now?

"God yes, I have wanted you so badly."

We went into her bedroom and made love. It wasn't sex; that's what I used to do with other women. With Sarah, it was love. I took my time and did everything I could think of to keep her in a constant state of orgasm.

I realized that the better I made her feel, the better I felt. Talk about a heart going ping. Mine felt like it was playing ping pong. I ended up spending the night and woke up with Sarah cuddled up to me.

****

After we announced our engagement, Sarah, Sherry and Mrs. Johnson planned the wedding. I remember Sherry saying she would be walking down the aisle as a bridesmaid with a pregnant belly. Sarah, remembering she was pregnant at Sherry's wedding, grinned, then told her welcome to the club.

Life was going along fine, and I saw Sarah and Angel as much as possible. The papers came back from Dorothy, as promised. As soon as we were married, Angel would be my daughter.

The wedding was wonderful. Sarah wasn't sure whether to wear a white dress since she had the annulment. I told her it was completely up to her. We got married in a small church with Sherry and Brad standing up with us.

Sarah's dad looked so proud with her on his arm. She walked down the aisle in a very light blue wedding dress. With her red hair, she had to be the most stunning and beautiful woman I ever saw.

After we said our vows, we headed to the lodge for a grand reception. Since dad and Mr. Johnson were both business owners, they invited most of their employees, close customers, and friends. The Johnsons had gotten their wish to give their daughter a wedding to remember.

After the reception, Sarah and I flew down to Florida to go on our cruise. I wanted to keep my promise to her. It was great to be with someone you loved. We missed a number of meals due to sleeping in from making love every night.

When going to the pool side, she was the only one I cared to watch. It's funny when I think about it. All the beautiful women lying around the pool nearly naked and I only had eyes for one.

After our return home, we began our new life together. When she went to work at the store, she took Angel with her. Some days my mom would ask to watch her. She was such a happy and beautiful little girl. Everyone around me said I seemed like a much happier man. I guess marriage agreed with me.

One morning at work I got a call to the office. It was Sherry. She told me her water had broke and she needed me to take her to the hospital. We rushed to the emergency room and she was admitted to obstetrics. I was familiar with it because that's where I took Sarah when she had Angel.

Sherry had contacted Brad from the office and told him to stop by the house and pick up her suitcase. He was calling his family to let them know. That meant I was with Sherry when the nurse arrived. It was the same one that took care of Sarah when I brought her in. She gave me the dirtiest look. I think she believed I was having an affair with Sarah back then.

I looked at her name tag; it read Madge. "Look Madge, the woman I brought last time was a friend. At the time her husband wasn't able to bring her here so I brought her in."

I didn't know why I was explaining anything to this nurse. I guess I just didn't want to give her the wrong idea of me.

"So, this is you wife?" asked Madge.

"No, this is my little sister. Well, she's not so little anymore," I said and smiled. Madge didn't find it funny at all.

I was so happy to see Brad show up. The rest of the family all got there within the hour. Sarah came a few minutes later. We all waited in the lobby.

Would you believe nurse Madge happened to walk by right when I kissed Sarah. I got a nasty look this time. Then I realized I had forgotten to mention Sarah and I were now married. We both had a good laugh over it. Our situation might seem odd to others, but we didn't care. We were in love.

Epilogue:

About three months after our wedding, Sarah had a surprise for me.

"I'm pregnant," she said, looking straight at me.

DG Hear
DG Hear
5,716 Followers