Life Resumed

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

The other four people at the table looked shocked at Nicole's statement. Dottie looked at Tolliver then over at Carl and Mark. She started to shake her head no and Nicole spoke again. She said, "Please. Don't say anything now. Just think about it. I know we can make it work and I would really like to have a job to make some money of my own. I could help in the bar or restaurant and do my other work other times. I'm sure we could rent the apartments for at least $1000.00 a month and maybe even more. If we rented them for shorter times we could charge more per day and maybe get a few tourists..."

Everyone looked at each other. Nicole picked up her fork and began eating once more. Finally the others also began eating and finished their meal. Not much else was said. Everyone thanked Nicole for the wonderful meal then went back to their rooms or wherever they had to be. Nicole was a little hurt that no more was said about her idea and even more hurt that no one offered to help clean up.

She was carrying the bus pan filled with dirty dishes to the kitchen when she heard a noise. She turned her head but could not see anyone. Still sniffling she began cleaning the dishes and putting them into the dishwasher. She stiffened when she once again heard a noise. Her heart began to flutter in fear. Recently there had been news of muggings that had occurred close by and she let her fears run rampant.

Nicole stepped back from the kitchen counter and looked around once more. She slowly walked toward the darkened bar where the noises seemed to originate. Slowly she stepped through the door and saw a shadow moving in the darkened bar where they had just eaten. The shadow turned and moved toward her. She was frozen by fear. She wanted to yell but was only able to make a quiet, very faint query. She asked, "Who's there? What do you..." Nicole stopped talking and stood rooted in place when the figure turned and moved rapidly toward her.

Nicole's fear mounted and she could not move or scream out when the figure loomed before her. Her eyes were filled with the tall thin figure before her. She could not see well in the dark but it seemed as if there was something in its hands. Nicole put her hands in front of her and made a pushing motion as she finally managed to take a step backwards. She dropped the towel she had been carrying, screamed and tried to run away. Her feet became tangled in the dropped towel and she tripped over it.

Nicole screamed once more and saw the figure drop whatever it had been carrying and reach out to her. Just before she fell backward the figure grabbed her and pulled her toward it. Nicole began pulling against the figure trying to get her hands free to hit when she heard a familiar voice say, "Whoa there girl. What's the matter with you? Do you make a habit of falling at the feet of every man that is near you or what?"

Nicole felt some of the fear leech from her body as she recognized Carl's voice then she became angry. She felt the heat of her anger flush her face and she began screaming at him as she tried once more to hit him. "You ASSHOLE," she shouted. "You scared me to death. Why didn't you answer me? What the hell are you doing in there in the dark anyway?"

Carl held her arms to keep her from hitting him as she struggled. All at once he began laughing. This only inflamed Nicole's anger further and she struggled harder. Finally she broke out in tears and stopped struggling. "Damn you, this isn't funny. Why don't you just leave me alone?"

Carl laughed a moment longer and gently pulled the still crying Nicole closer. When she stifled her tears he looked down at her and gently pushed her away. He said, "I'm sorry I scared you. I'm sorry I laughed at you too but while I was holding you to keep you from hitting me I realized I was doing just what I smacked Mark for doing when I first met you. I wondered if he would have tried to stop me from keeping you from hitting me like I did him. I'm starting to think you make a habit of attacking people."

Nicole looked up at Carl in shock then she couldn't help herself. She felt a little smile push through her anger. In a way that only made her angrier but she had to admit the similarities between the two incidents was humorous. She said, "NO, I DON'T make a habit of attacking people. I only attack those who deserve it for scaring me or...or those who deserve it. You never did tell me what you were doing rummaging around in the dark either."

Carl looked guilty then said, "Well, I was almost back to my apartment when I realized we had all left you to clean up the mess. I know Tolliver and Dottie were going to visit some friends and I didn't think Mark would help so I came back. I saw you had bussed the table so I was putting the chairs back where they belonged then I was going to come help you." Carl backed up and looked around then bent down and picked up some broken glass. He continued, "I had made you a drink and was bringing it to you when you attacked me. Now I have to clean up the mess you made in here."

Nicole looked down at the floor and saw a large puddle of liquid and what was left of two broken glasses. She felt her face heat and then said, "Oh, I'm sorry. I was upset when you all left and feeling sorry for myself. I heard you in the other room and remembered hearing about a mugging the other day. I'm afraid I let my imagination run away with me. I was sure you were all gone and I was scared. When you came at me from the dark I panicked and froze for a moment. When I tried to get away and almost fell you grabbed me and I panicked even more. I'm sorry Carl but you really should have said something when I asked who was there."

Carl looked guilty then he said, "I'm sorry too Nikki. I heard you say something but I didn't understand what you said. I was coming in to the kitchen anyway so decided to just wait until I was closer before I asked you to repeat yourself."

"Oh." She said. "I suppose I should finish up here then."

Nicole turned and walked back into the kitchen. Carl followed her and went into the storage room for the cleaning gear. He went back into the bar and she heard him sweeping up the broken glass. She had finished loading the dishwasher and turned to the deep sink and the remainder of the dirty pots and pans.

Carl put the cleaning gear away and went once more into the bar. She heard him clinking glasses again and watched as he walked back into the kitchen toward her. He was carrying two more glasses filled with liquid. He walked up beside her and handed her glass to her. After she took it they clinked glasses took a sip and sat them down. Carl began drying the clean pots and putting them up while Nicole finished washing up. By the time the kitchen was clean once more both drinks were empty.

Carl smiled and stepped forward. He picked up the glasses and returned to the bar where he once more mixed drinks. This time when he returned he had a whole pitcher of his excellent margaritas. Carl started through the door toward Nicole and she moved toward him. When she started toward him he grinned and said, "Whoa there girl. You just stay away from me. I don't want to clean up another mess. Why don't you just open the back door and we'll have another drink out by the pool before we call it a night?"

Nicole smiled and turned to the door. After he had walked carefully past her she turned and followed Carl to the poolside table he normally used outside his room. He carefully placed the drinks on the table and watched as she sank into a chair. Neither spoke, both were looking out over the courtyard and listening to the waves beat upon the beach. The only light was from a half dozen security lights partially obscured with vegetation and from the moon.

Nicole turned her head toward Carl and watched him stare into the distance. He said in a broken voice, "Charlotte would have liked what you did here. We always dreamed about having a house with a nice pool and courtyard in south Florida. I was going to try and be stationed here after my last tour was over. We were doing OK but we...She never had much beauty in her life. She grew up on a small farm in Missouri and I met her in college. She had a scholarship but had to work almost full time to pay for her other needs. Her parents couldn't help her much. My parents both worked in town and we lived on a small farm too but compared to her we were rich beyond imagining. We fell in love almost at first sight and shared a dream of living like this. I had always loved the thought of the sea and so went into the Coast Guard. My first two postings were in the northeast but I was in line to be posted here in the Keys on my next change in station. Charlotte's favorite dream was that we could be stationed on a pleasant coast like this so she could enjoy the sun, sea and sand."

"We were expecting our first child and now...now all I have are the memories and dreams and they're fading." Nicole could see the unshed tears in Carl's eyes. He took a deep breath and continued, "Now I remember her and miss her but sometimes I can't even remember how she felt. Your meal tonight reminded me of her. She loved to cook and was an excellent chef. One of her favorite dishes was very similar to the one you served. All I have left now is a hole in my heart and memories of our dreams and some of the times we had together. Sometimes I wonder what we would have done in our lives. How would our children have turned out? I used to scream at God for letting the plane hit before I was in the building with them. At least we would be together now."

Nicole rose from her chair and wrapped her arms around Carl. She pulled him tightly against her body and stood slowly, gently rocking from side to side as he cried and his tears wet her blouse. She gently crooned to him as she rocked. She stopped and just held him against her breasts and said, "Carl none of us know why things happen the way they do but we all have to make do with what is. Mark has asked why and screamed his hate at the universe but there is no answer. If you believe in God you have to believe He has a reason for this. If you believe Fate rules you have to believe Fate will balance out in the end. If you believe in Karma you wait for the good Karma to come. In any event, you and Mark are here now and have a chance for many good years ahead of you. It's up to you to make them good once more, to make your life the best it could be in spite of the hurts that have been handed to you. You know the old saying IS true. What doesn't kill us makes us stronger."

Nicole paused for a moment and looked off into the distance. She continued, "I asked many of the same questions you are asking when Mark's and my parents died. I was a wreck for months and was still wallowing in self pity when Mark was injured. Having him to worry over and care for forced me to pull back from the brink of despair. It gave me a purpose in life again but I'm afraid I lost my boyfriend before I came to my senses. He couldn't put up with my mood swings and attitude. He gave up on me and moved on. I'm NOT giving up on Mark and you! Both of you have to change the course of your lives but at least you have a life. You need to focus on it and choose the path you go down."

"You can choose to wallow in self pity and drink yourselves to death or you can choose to return to useful occupations and go on with life. I have asked Mark what he thinks our parents would want for him. You have to ask yourself what your parents and wife would want for you. Would they want you to act like you have been or do you think they would want you to go on with your life and follow dreams you have. Maybe your dreams have changed and maybe they are similar or the same to the ones you had before but I KNOW they would want you to be happy and have a good life. I want to help you and Mark with that if you will let me but if you won't I still want that for you."

Carl looked up at Nicole and tried to smile. He said, "I know and I tell myself Charlotte would want me happy but I miss her so much. Now, even after almost three years I still catch myself thinking I need to tell her something. Sometimes at night when I wake up I still reach for her. I just don't know if I can do it."

"I know you can do it. You can do it if you try really hard and really want to do it badly enough. You both can."

Carl stood and pushed Nicole away slightly with his body movement. She started to turn away and return to the kitchen with the empty glasses when he reached for her hand. Carl said, "Charlotte and I used to walk evenings. It helped us think and it relaxed us after our workdays." He looked at Nicole and continued, "Would you walk with me for a while please?"

They walked almost a mile down the beach and went into a famous night spot—The Hogs Breath Saloon—where Carl found a table and ordered them another drink. Nicole was scared he would once again get drunk but she didn't know what to do about it. She knew from prior experience that trying to keep him or Mark from drinking was a lost cause. Finally she just sat and sipped her drink while she watched Carl.

Carl on the other hand, sat and watched the people and Nicole. Occasionally he would make a comment to her. He especially watched the young people flirting, touching, laughing and dancing. He turned to Nicole and said, "We used to like to go out and have a couple of drinks and people watch. Sometimes we would sit almost all night watching people and talking. We would dance sometimes so we could hold each other in public but we saved the rest for the privacy of our home usually. Look at that couple over there. See how in love they look? That could have been us. They never take their eyes off each other and always seem to know where the other one is. They're lovers and soul mates. I used to have that and I miss it so much."

Carl picked up his glass and slammed the remainder of his drink down. He looked around and Nicole was afraid he was hunting the waitress to order another round. He turned to face her and reached for her hand. He said, "I've seen enough here tonight. It's getting late and we have a walk ahead of us. Are you ready to go or do you want another drink?"

Nicole felt her heart gladden when he didn't order. She smiled at Carl and said, "I'm good. We really should get back. I have a long day ahead of me tomorrow."

They made the entire trip back to the hotel in silence. They stopped by the stairs that led to the second floor and Nicole's apartment. The foot of the stairway was at the end of the building beside Carl's apartment. They both looked at each other then Carl said, "Thanks Nikki. I really enjoyed the meal and the company tonight. Good night."

Carl turned and walked into his room. Nicole stood and watched him until the door closed. She felt a sense of loss when he walked out of her sight. Finally she walked slowly up the stairs and into her lonesome room.

The next morning Nicole took the front stairs down into the lobby and went into the kitchen that way. She rapidly busied herself making breakfast for herself and Mark. Since she did that she didn't see Tolliver, Dottie and Carl sitting beside the pool drinking their coffee and visiting. They were discussing Nicole's idea of turning the building into apartments and reopening the restaurant and bar. Tolliver was against the idea. He didn't want the people around to interrupt his solitude. He also worried about the liability issue and he was afraid Nicole would leave and they would have to manage the building themselves once more or never get their investment back.

Carl and Dottie were in favor of the remodeling idea albeit mildly so. Dottie felt Nicole deserved a break and she wanted to give it to her. Carl felt like Nicole was a hard worker and would take her job seriously. He also felt Mark needed the responsibility and he liked the idea of helping a disabled veteran. At one point Carl leaned back in his chair and said, "I would rather not do it but if push comes to shove and Nicole and Mark leave we can always hire a management company to operate the apartments. We really DON'T have to do it ourselves. I think we should give them the chance to do this. Besides, it would be some extra income for us too. I know we all have enough income now but heck, there's no such thing as too much money is there?"

Finally they decided to make the changes and reopen if Nicole and Mark would sign a contract to operate the establishment for at least five years. They would offer them 50% of the profit with the other 50% split between Carl and the Persons. Carl agreed, reluctantly, to be the Managing Partner. He balked at Tolliver and Dottie's insistence that he take 35% as his fee for being Managing Partner. He finally agreed to that split when he was told it was that or the deal would not go through. They decided to resurrect the old Limited Liability Corporation they had used to operate the hotel in order protect themselves from ruin in case of a lawsuit also.

The three friends had just finished their discussion when Nicole came out the door from the bar onto the patio. She smiled when she saw the three owners sitting together and walked toward them. They all greeted each other, visited for a short time, and went on about their daily business.

Later that afternoon Nicole was returning from her apartment to the job she had been doing. Once again she took the upper walkway to the front stairs. As she was going down the walk she noticed almost every door in the upstairs was open. She frowned and wondered what was going on. When she passed one of the rooms she found Carl walking around with a clipboard and tape measure. He was making notes and inspecting the room carefully.

"Carl what are you doing," she asked.

"Oh, just inspecting the rooms for now. They really aren't in too bad a shape are they? They sure look cleaner than I thought they would."

Nicole blushed and turned her glance away from him. Carl caught the look and understood. He walked up to her and said, "You cleaned them didn't you? I know that wasn't part of your deal with Dottie. She told me you were only supposed to clean our rooms, the office and grounds. You just can't stop can you?"

"Well, I wanted to do my part. We were homeless and she, well all of you, gave us a home, a place to stay. I didn't want to take advantage of you and they needed cleaning so I cleaned them. OK?"

Carl shook his head and said, "I don't know about you sometimes." He then turned back to what he was doing. He finished that room and walked out. Nicole followed him and watched as he closed and locked the door then moved to the next room. Once again he gave it a close inspection. Before he finished Nicole said, "Well, I have to get back to work. I'll see ya later."

Almost two hours later Nicole looked out the window and saw Carl sitting beside the pool at 'his' table, the one near his apartment. He had papers strewn over the table and was writing. He had a cooler beside his chair too. From time to time he would make a phone call, talk a while, and then return to his writing. Sometimes he made notes while he was on the phone.

Finally Nicole could not stand her curiosity any longer and walked to Carl's table. She sat in one of the chairs and asked, "Carl what are you doing? I've never seen you do anything but drink out here." Nicole blushed and put her hand over her mouth before she said, "Oh, I'm sorry. I didn't mean to upset you I just meant, well, this is the first time I've seen you working on something here instead of uh...well you look so intense right now and I wondered what was going on is all."

Carl leaned back in his chair and looked at Nicole. He said, "Nikki I'm just working on a project right now; massaging some ideas I have. Can you just wait and come back about six or so? I should be finished then and we can talk. OK?"