Life Review Ch. 04

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

"The sands?" Shawn asked Nessa who hadn't taken her eyes off of the greasy clerk.

Nessa blinked and kindness returned to her face when she looked at him, "The sands is just a nickname for the multipurpose practical application and demonstration field. It is commonly referred to as the 'sands' or 'arena' because that is where practice bouts and tests are held, along with scheduled trainings for individuals or groups."

"What do these tests entail?" Shawn glanced to the crowded room, most of whom began filing out.

"Oh, you'll see. I wouldn't want to spoil the surprise," Nessa joined the queue of people leaving the taproom and motioned for Edwin to join her, leaving Shawn, Cassidy, and Denza looking at each other in bewilderment.

"Now that we are in, is there a place to store our belongings for a while?" Shawn asked casually of the clerk.

"Where our things will remain completely undisturbed, else we look to a certain somebody for recompense," Denza had completely abandoned the timid slave persona and was back to her usual intensity.

"Private rooms are available, let me get you a key," Garen said quickly, a hint of fear making his voice quaver. Cassidy gave Denza a thumbs up to which she responded by giving a toothy grin.

Garen walked out from behind the counter and led them up a flight of stairs to the left of the bar. They followed him until he stopped at a room that was three doors from the end of the hall. He fished an rough looking iron key from his pocket and slid it into the lock. The door creaked open with an audible click, revealing a dimly lit room with a single bed. Garen turned to give them one last dirty look before he briskly walked back downstairs.

"Maybe I should have asked for a double," Shawn joked when he looked at the size of the bed.

"Afraid to share a bed with two beautiful women?" Cassidy teased, she skipped into the room and alighted on the bed. She rubbed the rough covers with an inviting hand and doing her best to give him a sultry look.

"Where do you see two beautiful women? I count one and a girl who snores and is a bed hog," Shawn rolled his eyes.

"I do not snore!" Cassidy whined.

"Do too," Shawn replied petulantly.

"You are both children, I swear," Denza sighed in exasperation.

"Is that anyway to speak to your masters?" Cassidy pouted.

"One more word and I'll tan your backside, young lady," Denza scolded her, raising a hand threateningly.

"Is that a promise?" Cassidy purred teasingly.

Both Shawn and Denza's eyebrows shot up. They looked at each other, not quite knowing how to respond. Cassidy snorted in a very unladylike manner and collapsed into a fit a laughed. Shawn and Denza shared a small smile. Shawn couldn't put a finger on it, but he could have sworn that the room had gotten just a bit warmer. After Cassidy's mirth had ended, the trio's cheeks were flushed.

Shawn deposited their belongings on the floor at the foot of their bed. The room was small with only a single bed, a chair, and a small table in the corner. There was no adjoining private bathroom and he hopped there was a bath house or at least an out house somewhere. A window in the center of the wall above their bed had no latch that locked the pane in place, and the shutter on the outside of the window offered little to no security.

"Is it just me, or is Garen's idea of security a complete joke," Shawn looked at the window and tried to figure some way of securing the frame. Maybe a wedge of some kind, but the glass would be easily shattered. He peeked out of the window to look into the alley below. The ground was only about fifteen feet below the sill, so any yahoo with a ladder could break in and steal their stuff. In a normal town, he wouldn't sweat it, but Cassidy had painted a major target on their backs by flaunting their gold. He planned to make a deposit as soon as he could.

Shawn's forehead furrowed. He was working off the assumption that he needed identification to open an account like how the banking system worked back on earth. He went along with the idea of joining the Expeditionary Guild to get some sort of ID card. Denza noticed his expression and looked at him questioningly.

"Denza, how does someone open an account with the Merchants Guild? Do you need some form of ID? Documents to prove you are who you say you are?" Shawn asked. Realization dawned on Cassidy's face.

"I was thinking the same thing, we are just working on the assumption that banks work here like they do back home," Cassidy looked thoughtful.

"I don't really know what an ID is, but you do need some form of documentation that proves who you are. Guild papers work as one form, or you can have a guild certified analyst verify your claim using magic. Given your circumstance, I would advise sticking with documents if you want to avoid an interrogation," Denza nudged the chest of gold with her foot. "You'll want to get this secured as soon as possible. It is already public knowledge that we have a substantial sum, and because the fact that I'm associated with you makes it doubly likely someone might try something to prove a point."

"Like what?" Shawn looked concerned.

Denza shook her head and shrugged, "Someone might just simply rob you, or in extreme cases try to physically harm you. Remember that you strong-armed my way into the guild. There are those who won't take kindly to that and will see it was an insult."

"Nessa and Edwin seemed to be okay," Cassidy offered. "People seemed to respect them."

"Yes, but we don't know where they stand," Denza said critically. "Nessa was intrigued by the artifacts we carry and Edwin was stepping in to stop a confrontation. Admittedly, he didn't seem to have a problem with me being an Elf."

"What do you think we should do then, Denza?" Cassidy asked.

"I could stay behind and watch your belongings," She suggested.

"Our," Cassidy corrected. Denza shook her head sadly.

"The problem is still the same," Shawn interjected. "You being here alone makes an even more inviting target. It's better if we stick together. Frankly, I care more about your safety than a pile of shiny metal coins."

"But-" Denza started to object.

"No buts," Shawn said sternly. "The decision is final. Gear up and we go together."

Denza looked to Cassidy for assistance but found none. She stood up from the bed and said with a twinkle in her eye, "You heard the boss. Get the cutie patootie moving!"

Once they were ready to head out, Shawn secured the window with one of the spare daggers courtesy of Cadder's crew by jamming it into frame above the moveable pane. It did little to make him feel secure, but it was better than nothing. He locked the door on the way out and pocketed the key.

They ran into Edwin at the bottom of the stairs, "There you are, we were beginning to think you weren't going to show up."

"Nope, just putting our things away. Do people usually run away before testing?" Cassidy asked jokingly.

"You'd be surprised," Edwin said grimly.

"It sounds like the guild needs to raise the recruiting standards to include a spine," Denza said with no small amount of venom.

Edwin nodded in agreement, "That it should. Your proctors have been assigned based on vocation and are waiting for you. Let's get going."

Up close, Edwin was a head taller than Shawn and wider by a half. His arms sported a large variety of small scars that spoke to the air of experience he exuded. Shawn noticed that Cassidy and Denza reacted differently to Edwin's presence. Cassidy was calm and relaxed, a lazy smile playing across her lips as her eyes drifted around to take in their surroundings. Shawn had more insight into Denza's demonor due to their bond which was told him she was tense and alert for danger. She was walking behind Shawn on the balls of her feet, ready to either fight or run. Her hands were resting loosely on the hilt of her weapons. His climbing axe once more hung at its place on her belt.

Edwin stopped at a large set of doors at the far end of the hallway that led from the taproom. He glanced back and gave them a tight smile, "I hope you three don't mind an audience. All the commotion with Cadder sparked an interest in you. Everyone wants to see what you've got."

"Including you?" Denza asked wearily.

"Including me," Edwin affirmed.

He pushed open the doors to what the guild members affectionately referred to as the sands. It was a large room that was roughly the size of a football field. Bleachers rose up on the wall nearest them while the wall opposite was lined with weapon racks, targets, training dummies, amongst other training equipment. The stands were packed with people who were waiting to watch the ranking exam of their newest members. When they entered, the room went dead silent and all eyes were fixed on them.

Waiting for them was Nessa in her cream sundress and her wide brimmed hat. She was standing next to another man who was wrapped in a dark cloak that covered his body and the cowl was pulled down low. Shawn glanced up to see three large globes of light that resembled small suns that provided light to the field. Edwin led them forward and took his place next to Nessa.

"Give the information you had provided on your applications, the three of us are going to be your proctors," Edwin said loudly.

"Exams can only be administered by those who have achieved a full master's level in their vocation," Nessa added. "You three will be tested to figure out what you know about your initial discipline as I'm sure you are aware."

"Um, actually we aren't" Shawn admitted sheepishly.

"You could say we are self taught," Cassidy shared an amused look with Shawn.

"I'm aware of the general process, but I was never given specifics considering that my father never wanted me to follow this path," Denza added.

"That is an interesting statement," Edwin looked at each of them in turn. "Denza's chosen vocation of being a hunter can be explained by that, but what intrigues us is the two of you." He addressed Shawn and Cassidy.

"Shawn," Nessa asked softly, "What were your intentions by listing Acolyte and Brawler as your two apprentice vocations, and adding Monk as a third full vocation? Given the claim of being self taught, I am left wondering if you are being serious."

Shawn looked at Cassidy who shrugged her shoulders helplessly, "Call it a gut feeling. Being completely honest with you three, Cassidy and I aren't from around here. We weren't raised in this system."

"Where are you from?" Nessa asked, intrigued.

"We can't tell you," Shawn answered evasively.

"Can't, or won't?" Edwin studied them intensely.

"Can't," Cassidy said simply. "We don't remember. Something happened to us and we showed up here without any memory of this place. We were lucky we ran across Denza when we did."

Shawn struggled to keep his face impassive. He was impressed with Cassidy's lie. It was said that the best lie was born from truth. Nessa and Edwin glanced at each other with puzzled expressions. The cowled man chose to speak up at that time, his voice was low and gravely, "You are both lying and telling the truth. I don't care about where you are from, so answer me this: Do you intend the harm of the Imperium or those in its borders?"

"No," Shawn replied truthfully.

"Not yet," Cassidy's cheerful appearance fell away to reveal the more calculating side of her.

"Not yet?" The cowled man repeated slowly, a hint a steel to his voice. "Do you care to explain?"

"It's simple," Cassidy said impassively. "I don't mean any harm to your Imperium, yet. I cannot speak to future attitudes."

"So you offer me no assurance that you have no ill intent towards this nation?" A hint of anger entered the man's voice. "Why should we entertain such notions as allowing you to be here when you could be a spy?"

"Because this isn't the Imperium, Roark," Edwin said tersely. "You may be an officer of the Imperium, but you are also a master of the Expeditionary guild. There is no nationality in this place. Cassidy's has a point, but as to why she chose to frame it in that way I can't speak to that."

"Because I don't like how this nation treats people. I don't believe in slavery and I'm completely against it," Cassidy snarled.

Nessa let out a small chuckle, "She's willful, I like her."

"I would advise you keep your opinions to yourself when you are outside of these walls, perhaps even inside them," Edwin said in a low voice. Shawn was keenly aware that the people in the stands would be straining to hear their conversation, especially with Roark's angry voice.

"And why should I?" Cassidy asked heatedly.

Shawn put a hand on her shoulder and gave her the patented 'Shut-up-Cassidy' look, "Cass, time and a place. There are different rules here, remember that."

"Fine," Cassidy huffed, crossing her arms. "I'm not sorry though."

Roark's shoulders relaxed, but he sounded terse as he replied, "Very well."

Nessa stepped forward and guided Shawn and Cassidy a ways down the field. Denza began to follow when she was stopped by Roark. Shawn looked back in concern when he felt Nessa's hand on his arm, "Don't worry about her. Remember what Edwin said, the guild is its own place. There might be those who hate elves, but they would have to be extremely stupid to act upon those feelings inside these walls. Even more so considering she is a member of the guild now."

Shawn relaxed a bit and allowed himself to be led away to the middle of the field. Nessa regarded the two of them for a long moment when they came to a halt. She twirled a lock of her hair around her finger while chewing on her lip, "Shawn, your exam will come to an end before Cassidy's will."

"That isn't much of a stretch, but can I ask why?" Shawn asked ,puzzled.

Nessa offered him a sly smile, "Well, you don't have any focuses with you for starters." She pointed a long finger at Cassidy's staff and wand.

"He can use one of mine," Cassidy offered, holding out her weapons in either hand.

"That won't do, Cassidy," Nessa shook her head. "You've never used one, have you Shawn?"

"I've never needed to," Shawn admitted.

"Really?" Nessa stopped twirling the lock of her dark hair and looked intrigued. "Can you show me?"

Shawn looked at Cassidy who nodded encouragingly. He took a deep breath and exhaled slowly. He felt a small amount of apprehension now that he was being examined and expecting to perform. He held up a hand and reached for the ember of power in the back of his mind. The skin of his hand began to tingle as heat collected in his palm until flame ignited around his hand. The air around the hungering flames shimmered into a haze and the pressure began to build starting in his palm.

Nessa bent forward and closely examined the act of magic in front of her, "What do you usually do after you have reached this point?"

"Uh, point at something and let the energy go?" Shawn tried to explain.

"Alright, go ahead and show me," Nessa prompted.

"Er, where?" Shawn asked, suddenly unsure of himself. He had always had a designated target when he had used the spell previously.

"Anywhere down field," Nessa replied patiently.

Shawn nodded and raised his hand to point down the far side of the training field. He could feel the pressure dissapaiting as his will allowed the force to lessen given that he had no target information. According to his logic, air didn't require much power to attack and his spell reflected his desires. Cassidy noticed this phenomenon, remembering the time when she was lobbing fireballs like grenades and didn't have a specific target to act upon.

"What is Roark doing to Denza?" Cassidy gasped in alarm.

"What?!" Shawn's heart leapt into his throat and he whipped his head around. The spell he was holding ramped up in intensity at the sudden rise in emotion that caused him to draw heavily on the ember of power. Cassidy didn't think her plan all the way through because Shawn instinctively pivoted his body and his opened hand curled into a fist that was being brought around with the rest of his body.

"Shawn, wait!" Nessa cried, but it was too late. The spell exploded. All of the force and heat that built itself into a powerful explosive force that was fueled by Shawn's sudden panic and instinct to protect his bondmate erupted in a violent burst of flame and force directed towards the crowd.

The detonation let loose a thunderclap that deafened Shawn and set his ears ringing. The sudden flash of light had whited out his vision and he felt a surge of alarm from Denza that shot through him like an electric current. His heart thudded in his chest as he channeled even more power into the spell for a second strike while he desperately shook his head to try and clear his vision.

He felt someone shake him. He turned his head to the side and saw the hazey form of Nessa shouting something at him. His vision returned after a few moments, if a bit spotty, and the ringing in his ears faded enough to hear Nessa's words.

"Shawn, end the spell!" She shouted.

He looked down at the pulsating light that shone from between his fingers. He flashed back to the fight with Saoirse and the miniature star he had formed in his desperation. He slowly let the energy return to his body and the star winked out of existence. He looked to Denza who was startled but unharmed, Roark was standing a ways away from her.

"Cassidy, what in the name of the gods were you thinking?" Nessa chastised.

"Whoa," Cassidy blinked, clutching her head. "I didn't think that would happen. I was just wanted to give him a jolt to get him to crank it up a notch."

"You call that a notch?" Nessa said in exasperation, pointing towards a blackened and cracked azure barrier that had sprang into existence in front of the crowd.

"Huh, the last time he did that it didn't seem to do that much damage," Cassidy said thoughtfully.

"Excuse me?" Nessa's eyes threatened to bug out of her head. "What were you fighting that shrugged off that blast, an adult salamander?"

"A Banshee," Shawn sighed.

"A what?" Nessa looked stunned. "You can't be serious."

"Yeah, her name was Saoirse," Cassidy said sheepishly. "When he did the same thing when we were fighting her and hit it with her point blank. Actually, he shoved it into her mouth," she chuckled.

"How on earth did you survive?" Nessa nearly shrieked. "The barrier is designed to ward off spells up to a 5th level journeyman. Look at what he did to it!"

At her words the azure barrier seemed to sag inwardly before it shattered into tiny motes of light. Other barriers were erected in the stands by individuals, others had hid behind their shields and were braced for impact.

"Damn," Cassidy whispered in awe. "Shawn, if we see Saoirse again, let's run."

"Do ya'think?," Shawn said sarcastically. "That's what Denza said we should do to begin with. I'm sure she can't wait to say 'I told you so'."

"It also puts it into perspective how strong Tricha was," Cassidy said thoughtfully. "She kicked Saoirse's ghostly butt right out of the tomb".

"Wait, who is Tricha?" Nessa's brow furrowed. "Was it she who helped you clear the tomb?"

Cassidy shook her head, "No. Tricha is was the previous Wise Witch. She really saved our butts."

Nessa looked like she wanted to say more but Shawn held up a hand, "Cassidy can fill you in on the details later. Aren't we in the middle of an exam?"

Nessa bit her lip before nodding, "Right, let's get back to it.". She straightened her hat and brushed dirt off her dress. "Well, you proved well enough you can cast without a focus. Do you feel tired at all?"

"Only slightly," Shawn's heart was still hammering in his chest and he could feel the adrenaline coursing through him, and he felt only slightly winded.

123456...8