Lilies and Roses

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

"Come with me to the office. It will be more private there," Freddy said as he escorted them through the lobby.

Closing the door behind them, he gestured toward two seats with his hand and sat behind his desk. He retrieved a computer print out which looked like the one Fernando had shown them. "Fernando called me when you left and told me about the signatures and the evidence he showed you. I will make this quick. Do either one of you recognize any of the dates or credit information?"

As at Elite restaurant, Ted and Tabitha scanned the print out and shook their heads no. Ted had the account numbers from Elite and he compared them. They all matched.

"Ted, did you make any of these charges?"

"No, I did not," he replied.

"Do you recognize this signature?"

"No, that is not my signature."

Tabitha supported Ted's replies.

"As I told Ted the other night," Freddy explained to Tabitha, "only guests may use any of our facilities. We have security cameras in hallways and in public areas. I found 6 tapes which match dates and times to these credit charges. I did not look at any of the tapes so I am not sure whether your questions will be answered. I will give you the tapes for you to use as you wish. From a legal standpoint, we are not liable for any actions of our guests and we will not be a party in any civil litigation except to verify the authenticity of these tapes. That said, however, since we have possible evidence of fraud and other criminal activity, we would join in any criminal investigations as injured parties. I'm sorry I can't give you any more of my time, but I have some other business to attend to now. I thank you both for coming here today."

They all shook hands. Carrying the tapes, Ted and Tabitha left the office and went to the car. Ted sat there quietly for a few moments collecting his thoughts and he was sure Tabitha also needed a moment. Finally he started the car and drove back to the Elite.

Before she got out of the car, Tabitha quietly said, "For what it's worth, I am really sorry about all of this. I've often suspected Ron of cheating on me and I know that he has chased the pot of gold at the end of the rainbow. I have never considered the possibility he would stoop to illegal means to get what he wanted."

"Thank you for that. I am supposed to be the unsuspecting fool here, but now it seems that I am also being set up as some kind of target," Ted replied.

Then he asked quietly, "Now, how and when do you want to view the tapes? I would rather they didn't know we have them until it is necessary. I'm also not sure I want to know what is on them. Well, I suspect what is on them as you probably do also. I'm just not sure if I want that reality hitting me between the eyes right now."

After a moment Tabitha looked over at Ted and asked, "The company has a tape player and television in a meeting room, don't they?"

"Yes there is and yes we can go there. I know you are busy tonight with school, but is there any other time you are able. Well, wait a minute. I guess I should ask whether you would rather watch them on your own or with me? I don't mind either way."

"I suppose that seeing them together would be easier. Wait a minute here. What are the dates and times on the tapes?" she asked.

Ted checked all the tapes and then answered, "There are four tapes for the last two months and two tapes for the previous two months. It seems they spend Friday nights together from about 6pm till midnight. Freddy also told me that our spouses use the facilities about twice weekly during business hours and they are alone. We could meet at the office if you want since we know that we won't be disturbed. These tapes are marked H and J. I would presume that would indicate if it is a hallway tape or a Jacuzzi tape. We can go faster with the hallway tapes first to verify how long they were in the room and so forth."

"Yes, that would be fine. By the way, he told me that he was going to various real estate business meetings. What does your wife tell you?"

Ted was quiet a moment then replied, "For several years, we and the Howards went to dinner and then dancing at various clubs. Megan has been going without me for several months because I have been working a lot of overtime. Ron has been moving people out of my team in addition to upping the work load and since deadlines don't change, I have to go in extra early and also work late to keep caught up. That is what I was doing at the office on Saturday and why I know Ron isn't there on the weekends. It looks like Ron is taking my place at dinner as well as in the bedroom."

Then he told her about leaving Friday night, the flowers, the Elite, and finally the hotel. It was just dumb luck that he was at the office when she had come looking for Ron.

They both had tears in their eyes when he finished. They both knew where things were going.

Then Ted told her, "I'm not sure, but I don't think that this charade can keep going very much longer. I didn't eat at home over the week end and then once Megan sent Greg after me. He tried the buddy buddy thing to find out what was going on with me. They might be getting skittish if they think I am getting close to their schemes or even suspicious of them. I just thought I'd warn you and now I'm going to be more careful."

"Thank you for that," she replied. "I've been getting that downhill feeling since before we left Dallas. It is nice knowing that I've got a friend in this mess with me. I'm wondering now who is in the bigger mess." Looking at him askance she asked, "You are a friend, aren't you? You're not just looking to nail a soon to be jilted wife or pursue some personal agenda with me?"

"No way," retorted Ted. "Like I said earlier, your coming to the office was just a very fortunate coincidence and pure dumb luck. May I also say that yes, it is good to know I also have a friend. As far as the bigger mess, I don't know. I don't know why they picked me, but I think they greatly underestimated me. I think you are an innocent bystander. Whether you and the girls will be considered excess baggage at the end will depend on whether you still have value as Ron's camouflage. If he thinks you are naïve enough, he might just keep you around. At this juncture, I can't predict what he will do with either you or Megan. I'm sure, though, that he has already made up his mind."

She smiled and said, "Thank you for your kind words. I just needed to hear it from you. How about I come to the office about 6:30pm Friday evening. Should I bring popcorn?"

Ted smiled inside. He was glad she hadn't lost her sense of humor. "Sure, and I'll bring the sodas. We do have to drive home afterwards."

"Ok, I'll be there," she replied and went to her car. She waved as she drove away.

Ted drove home feeling a lot better than he had since Friday. It had been a long weekend and this would be a longer week, but at least he had a short term plan. It was nice finding some good allies. He had a feeling he would need all of them.

+++++++++++++++

Chapter 3

The start of an interesting evening

Arriving home, Ted headed back towards the bedroom to change. He noticed Megan sitting at the kitchen table looking as though she had been waiting for him. He stopped by the kitchen door.

"We need to talk," she started to say.

Ted cut her off. "We don't need anything," he said emphasizing the we. "However, if you have a need to tell me something I can listen."

Her eyes flashed at him and a flush started rising in her face, but she took a breath and visibly forced herself to calm down. "I'm sorry," she said. "Please, let me start again. I would like to talk with you for a moment, if I may."

'She was really piling on the angry spouse routine,' Ted thought. 'I wonder when she will start piling on the romance. Oh, God. What if she decides she wants sex with me again. Even if it is to keep me from getting suspicious, I'm not sure I can do it without getting sick. None of that sloppy seconds crap for me, and that's for damn sure.'

Ted stood there for a moment before replying, "Ok. What would you like to say? I'm listening."

"Thank you for that," she said and managed a smile. "I didn't cook dinner tonight. I wasn't sure if you were going to continue going out to eat, either with or without me, and I didn't want to waste any food. I know we don't have any extra money to throw away."

She paused a moment to see Ted's reaction. Not getting one, she continued, "I wanted to ask you what your dining plans were, both for this evening and for the future."

She managed to keep smiling at him as she went on, "I don't know what happened this weekend to cause you to hate me so much. It wasn't any different than it has been. We keep making reservations with our friends, and then you don't show up. I needed to go out and get away from the house. I really wish that we could do more things together like we used to and I really miss having you with us at dinner or dancing afterward."

'Jesus, this is really starting to make me sick,' Ted thought. 'I wonder if she would blow me here in the kitchen if I asked her to? Nah, too much out of character for her. I'd get suspicious.' Ted started to answer when the phone rang, so he said, "Just a moment, let me get that." Striding over to the phone, he checked caller ID out of habit before picking up the receiver. Jorge Mendoza, whoever that was, was calling.

"Hello," he said.

"Hello, is this Ted Johnson?" a male voice asked.

"Yes, hey Jorge! How are you doing, buddy. Long time no see," Ted said for Megan's benefit.

The line was silent for a moment, then the voice said, "Yes, this is Jorge Mendoza. My friend Fernando at the Elite restaurant asked me to call you. I presume from your answer that you are not alone and don't wish to talk. Very well. I will ask you some yes or no questions and you can embellish your reply as necessary. Now, could you like to meet tonight?"

"Oh, yes. I am glad you called. Golly, I haven't heard from you since the last reunion. How long are you in town?" Ted said.

"Ok ,Ted. Since the Elite is closed tonight, we will meet there. Give me the name of someplace local where we can meet first. You will leave your car there and ride to the Elite with me, so no one will follow us. Is that acceptable to you?"

"Oh, that is too bad. I know how these overnight trips are tiring. Hey, listen, there's a sports bar called 'The Line Drive' on Spring Street and 4th Avenue and that's not too far from your motel. Let's meet there and have a cold one, my treat. I hope you brought some pictures of Carla and the kids, too. I could be there in about 15 minutes."

"Very good, Ted. Park your car close to the front door in case someone is looking for you. Get into the black Escalade with out of state plates on it. I look forward to seeing you. Goodbye for now."

"All right, Jorge. See you in a few. Bye." Ted hung up and turned around. Megan had listened to the conversation and was frowning at him.

"Well gosh, Megan. I guess I'll be eating out tonight," Ted told her. "You do whatever you want to do. Don't wait up for me because I don't know when I'll be back."

"When are we going to have time to talk, Ted? I've never heard you mention anybody named Jorge," Megan said loudly. She looked like she might start crying any moment.

"I guess you really don't care about me after all, do you? At least I thought we could have dinner tonight. Why didn't you tell this Jorge person you would bring me along? Why aren't you asking me to go along? Are you ashamed to be seen with me? Or is this some sort of cheap revenge for me going without you last Friday night?"

Then she changed tactics going on the offensive, "What the hell is wrong with you? Damn it, just answer my questions. I think I deserve that much."

"Well, ok. I guess we could discuss this," replied Ted. "For tonight, I will be with Jorge doing some reminiscing. And yes, since you chose to go to the Elite without waiting for me, I choose to go and meet Jorge without you. Call it what you will, revenge or not. It doesn't really matter, now does it? And it wasn't just last Friday either, was it? You've been out of the house every Friday evening for over 3 months now going to dinner and then dancing, and every time it is the same old crap. I get a load of shit from you and then am left to fix my own damn dinner. Well, tonight I'm eating out with an old friend who is in town for one night. One night, Megan. Not every Monday for the next 3 months and then rubbing your nose in it."

Ted paused for a breath before saying, "I'm tired of the continual name calling, the belittling, the criticism and the entire atmosphere of 'it's all my fault'. It's really too bad that I don't have the pleasure of dining with the Howards as well, but since I've been so busy lately, I guess I've had to learn how to get along without them. I really am glad that they have remained your friends. Since I'm not here for you to bitch at, that gives you and them plenty of time to talk about. I guess that makes me a better target for the town's gossip mill."

He really needed to go meet Jorge so he said, "So, how about a compromise. I'll go meet Jorge and you can go meet the Howards or do whatever you do without me and we will both be happy. I don't have a problem with eating here during the week, as long as I'm not causing you any more work. This last weekend worked out well for me, so maybe I will continue to eat out on weekends. As far as dinner at the Elite restaurant or any other Friday night activities, as long as Ron Clark continues to act the petty tyrant who is trying to force my resignation, I will have to let you and the Howards continue to have each other and carry on without me. I really don't like being a fifth wheel on a tricycle. At this point even if I could get out of work on time, I wouldn't place any bets on me going anywhere with you, the Howards, or anyone else. Maybe if you were still interested in me, you would have heard me mention Jorge. I believe consideration, caring, and communication are two way streets. Take care, Megan, and don't wait up."

Ted turned on his heel and left the house. As he pulled away, he saw her standing in the window watching him. 'Screw it,' he thought. 'This time he had the 'date'.' Heh, heh.'

Pulling in to 'The Line Drive', he found a parking spot as agreed. The Escalade was idling in a spot not too far away. He walked over and got in the front seat. A neatly dressed Hispanic man was driving.

"Are you Ted?" he asked.

"Yes I am," Ted replied.

"I will take you to Jorge. Please use the seat belt."

Nothing else was said until they stopped behind the Elite restaurant.

"I will be here when you are ready to go," the driver said.

Ted got out and went to the back door of the Elite. It opened before he could knock. Fernando beckoned him in while saying, "Thank you for coming. Please follow me."

They went through the kitchen into one of the private dining rooms.

Fernando made the introductions. "This is my friend, Jorge Mendoza," he said. "Jorge, this is Ted Johnson."

Jorge stood and moved to shake Ted's hand. "I am glad to meet you, sir. My friend Fernando doesn't ask me for help very often, but when he does I am glad to help in any way that I can. It is small repayment for his generosity and help over the years. Please sit down."

Fernando informed Ted, "I have told him everything I know and he has seen the documents. I will leave you alone. When you are through talking, let me know and I will have your dinner served." Fernando left the room and closed the door behind him.

Ted and Jorge sized each other up as they sat down. Ted was 5'11" and a trim 175. He was getting some gray in his short brown hair, but that was okay. It helped him look distinguished. Jorge was somewhat shorter at 5'9", but he also looked like he worked out and kept himself in shape. He looked to be in his mid to late 40's and his black hair had no trace of gray. Ted was still wearing his brown business suit from work, but Jorge was dressed casually in a maroon polo shirt with gray slacks and highly polished black shoes.

"First off, I want to tell you a little about me," Jorge started. "I am a lawyer. I grew up in a poor little southern Arizona border town and we were about the poorest family in town. I busted my ass to make something of myself, so that I could help my brothers and sisters. It must have worked, because all of us graduated from university with various professional degrees. Fernando has been and always be my friend. He asked me to help you and I will. Please, tell me your story."

Ted smiled back saying, "Ok, but first, Jorge Mendoza from a poor border town graduated number one in his class from Harvard law school. He was elected to Congress three times as a representative and is known far and wide as one of the few honest politicians in Washington. You have a private law practice with few clients and a small staff. I am the luckiest man in these United States right now and I wish to say that I am proud to make your acquaintance."

Ted paused and drank from a glass of water. "Let me tell you an interesting story of suspected fraud, conspiracy, id theft, betrayal, and secrets." For the next half hour, Ted related the story of the long weekend.

Most of the information Jorge already knew. He wanted Ted to tell the story, because a lot could be learned from body language, voice inflection, and turn of phrase. He hadn't been surprised to know that Ted knew who he was.

When Ted finished the story, he took another drink of water. As Jorge started to speak, he held up his hand. "Please wait," he said. "Now I am going to tell you the rest of the story and give you some extra background. This is not public knowledge as only 4 people in my life know any of it."

++++++++++++++++++++++ Chapter 4

An interesting discussion continues

After pausing for another drink, he continued on, "Everyone knows me as good old Ted Johnson, Marketing Manager for Harvey Construction Company. What they don't know is that I own the company. After I graduated from high school, I spent the summer working with my grandparents in a nursery business they owned. They started the business because they liked working with plants. They could have expanded into a really big company, but that wouldn't have made them happy. Working with the plants and their customers kept them happy and satisfied. My grandparents were well off in their own right before they married and after they married they were quite wealthy. Money didn't make them happy. I learned from them the satisfaction of doing a good job for its own sake. Before I married Megan, my grandparents warned me about her need to be some rich man's wife and live a life of luxury. I didn't agree and in my arrogance told them that we would always be happy just as they had been. After my grandfather died from a stroke, grandmother put everything in a blind trust set up for me. Within a month or so she died of loneliness and a broken heart and went to be with my grandfather. My parents were killed in a plane crash while I was in college. The only other family I had at that time was grandmother's sister, my Great Aunt Rose. She'd married into a wealthy family of back stabbers and manipulative control freaks who loved to abuse those of lesser fortune than themselves. She finally tired of being abused, so she got a divorce.

She'd managed to keep her accounts separate from her husband and his family and had added to the small fortune on her own. She arranged through my grandmother's lawyer that all assets she had at her death would be placed into that same blind trust. In short, I am a very wealthy man."

Ted stopped for a moment and gathered himself. Then he continued on saying, "About 10 or 12 years ago, Mr. John Harvey who started Harvey Construction Company had a massive heart attack and almost died. John and his wife Martha almost lost everything to medical bills and rehabilitation. They remind me of my grandparents in that they do what they do for the satisfaction it gives them. One day at work, I went to John's office to drop off some paperwork. I found his secretary Betty in his office and crying. She told me that John and Martha would have to sell the business to pay the medical bills. Betty and I had a long talk that afternoon. That weekend, I spent Saturday with John and Martha. I bought the business from them, but I required John stay there in his position as President and CEO. I didn't want anyone to know that anything was different. Betty and Martha worked it out so that John wouldn't have a lot of work to do, but he was still in charge. The only changes I made were to add or increase employee insurance plans and other benefits."